• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate leaks early, PS4 impressions not... great.

Yeah, that must be it. It's not like Black Flag, Watch Dogs, and Far Cry 4 all have resolution advantages on PS4 or anything, oh wait...

GPU isn't everything, and this engine is clearly CPU and memory intensive. If they have run into a memory bottleneck due to the scale of the city then they aren't going to be able to increase the resolution on either platform without scaling back in some way. Both consoles have the same amount of RAM, and for all we know the XB1 could have more available for games at this point.

Yeah this parity stuff is such nonsense. Wasn't FC4 1080p on X1 though?

Reminds me a little of some fun glitches and weird happenings when RDR came out. It was never incredibly bad or gamebreaking though.

Darkangel

Every time an Assassin's Creed game has a setting I like, it turns out to be crappy. The Middle East, Colonial America, Victorian London...ughhh.

KiraXD

Yeah, that must be it. It's not like Black Flag, Watch Dogs, and Far Cry 4 all have resolution advantages on PS4 or anything, oh wait...

GPU isn't everything, and this engine is clearly CPU and memory intensive. If they have run into a memory bottleneck due to the scale of the city then they aren't going to be able to increase the resolution on either platform without scaling back in some way. Both consoles have the same amount of RAM, and for all we know the XB1 could have more available for games at this point.

Im specifically talking about their statement on Unity.

Unity producer Vincent Pontbriand yesterday said that both consoles had been deliberately kept at the same graphical level.

"We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff."
Regardless of CPU and GPU capabilities... How can Black Flag and other games have better res... but they deliberately decided that Unity (and thus im curious about Syndicate) had to be equal? why?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Regardless of reviews and other people's impressions, im pre-ordering tomorrow and picking up Friday. Only bad thing is that due to work, I won't be able to play until Sunday. In the end, the only "review" that truly matters is my own.

Im specifically talking about their statement on Unity.

Regardless of CPU and GPU capabilities... How can Black Flag and other games have better res... but they deliberately decided that Unity (and thus im curious about Syndicate) had to be equal? why?

Unity was on a new or significantly altered engine and according to reports CPU bottlenecked, which isn't too surprising considering the hardware in PS4 and XBO.

Also the resolution isn't the be all end all of graphics

Fury451

Banned
Assassins Creed Unity was the definition of a "red score" game considering it was fundamentally broken.

Define fundamentally broken. And on what platforms was it that way? I had it at launch on PS4, and never had anything that made it anywhere close to unplayable, which is what fundamentally broken means. Glitchy and buggy? Yes, at times. But functional.

It was a lot better after patches of course.

Ralemont

not me
Here's a guy who's actually played the game, people. Take a good read before outraging.

Well, let's not swing too far the other way. The Reddit dude has definitely played it. His comments on performance don't hold much sway due to playing it without the patches, but he comments on other aspects of the game as well.

Personally I will be very surprised if:

1. The game turns out to be bad
2. The game turns out to be universally praised

So there is plenty of room for good and bad impressions. It's encouraging they've mostly been good so far.

Define fundamentally broken. And on what platforms was it that way? I had it at launch on PS4, and never had anything that made it anywhere close to unplayable, which is what fundamentally broken means. Glitchy and buggy? Yes, at times. But functional.

It was a lot better after patches of course.

I got the platinum in it before any patches came out I believe

AGITΩ

I want to not buy this so soon, especially with Unity leaving me so pissed off (I bought a PS4 just for it), but the overarching storyline with Menerva and the Sage and the Ancient Aliens is the only I buy these games.

AGITΩ;182516027 said:
I want to not buy this so soon, especially with Unity leaving me so pissed off (I bought a PS4 just for it), but the overarching storyline with Menerva and the Sage and the Ancient Aliens is the only I buy these games.

They barely even do stuff with the modern era nowadays.

GHG

What I don't understand is why they don't just scrap this shit and make a open world pirate game in the mold of black flag but improve on it and flesh it out more?

Fuck milking this assassins creed shit. It's run it's course, let it die and do something different.

ZeroX03

Banned
I was really hoping it would be an outright disaster, but it seems it's just an overall disappointment. Damn.

Will pick up the fancy statue edition for $40 at Christmas, if Unity's massive price drops are any indication.

Im sure i will play it around next summer when the price is low and not much else is going on. Tomb Raider just looks so much better for my explore everything action game fix this holiday.

AGITΩ

They barely even do stuff with the modern era nowadays.

That's why I hated Unity, Rogue was alright and a fantastic lead in to Unity...but then nothing. This series needs another Desmond-esc character.

What I don't understand is why they don't just scrap this shit and make a open world pirate game in the mold of black flag but improve on it and flesh it out more?

Fuck milking this assassins creed shit. It's run it's course, let it die and do something different.

Have you not Played Rogue? That made the whole pirate thing even better considering even you could get boarded and raided in the middle of traversing the sea.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
AGITΩ;182517764 said:
Have you not Played Rogue? That made the whole pirate thing even better considering even you could get boarded and raided in the middle of traversing the sea.

They need to port that to current-gen. Bizarre that that hasn't happened yet.

Vire

Watching that video posted above... The environments just looks bland. It's difficult to tell one district from another and the lighting is a significant downgrade over Unity. Everything just flatly bakes in a piss golden glow.

Also seems like a mistake that they didn't just stick with the female Assassin as she seems significantly more interesting than her meathead brother.

Mob_zter

Neo Member
Can anyone who played this tell me what about trophies & collectables.

Is it like Unity,that there are like 400 collectibles in the map & you need to open a F**ing Door to collect all that shit.

Also how long is the game ??

Regardless of reviews and other people's impressions, im pre-ordering tomorrow and picking up Friday. Only bad thing is that due to work, I won't be able to play until Sunday. In the end, the only "review" that truly matters is my own.
this sounds like someone with too much money and/or time. let me know if it's worth either mate.

GIF-Chair-Dis-gon-b-good-Dis-gonna-be-good-Drama-Pull-up-a-seat-Seat-This-gonna-be-good-GIF.gif

I will use this gif for DC film threads. Thanks.

On Syndicate:
I didn't play Unity, if Syndicate has a good story and the glitches, bugs etc. are tolerable, then I will rent it sometime.

chefboy

Neo Member
Even though the performance is better the game is just overall not good, imo. I got tothe last chapter of that game and just had to stop, it felt like a slog.

Yeah I got it for <$10 on PS4 and free on X1 and I still can't be arsed to finish it. ACIV was a much better game simply because it had so little to do with the regular AC franchise.

Walpurgis

Banned
Look on the bright side guys, with two failures in a row and hype at an all-time low, the Assassin's Creed series is in a bad spot. Therefore, we will be getting an Assassin's Creed game set in East Asia in 2017.

SomTervo

Doesn't the PS4 have more RAM? I know a chunk is reserved for the OS, but I thought even then it had more than XBO. I think both are great consoles, I'm just spitballing. Wasn't it like 8GB (with 2 reserved) vs XBO's 5GB?

Assassins Creed Unity was the definition of a "red score" game considering it was fundamentally broken.

It was not fundamentally broken.

For some, maybe. But for many people, the game was totally playable. It wasn't in an ideal state, but it was playable.

SomTervo

I just want my Japanese assassins creed game with the addition of actual stealth. Please Ubisoft, stop being stubborn!!!

This would be fucking killer, wouldn't it.

In the series' defence, I think stealth in Black Flag and Rogue isn't too shabby. Foliage everywhere.

But then you play MGSV and... What have they been doing for ten years

dr_rus

I find it highly unlikely for RAM to be an issue on resolution. Most of assets are still streaming off HDD (as you obviously can't fit 50GB of game data - compressed - into ~5GB of available RAM) and if you need more RAM for frame buffers then you can simply adjust the streaming.

stufte

Shocker, reviewers continuing the trend of giving Assassins Creed games unreasonably high scores.

Check Unity's metacritic.

Unity has a 70(ish) on metacritic. I think that sums up my experience with it. It was fun, but overall pretty forgettable.

Top Bottom