• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

Hellllllo, new favourite Jacob outfit!

I don't think I've had any memory leaks either (PS4), but I'll keep an eye out. That really, really sucks.

Rogue is still my favorite but Syndicate is right behind it.

Urgh, I need to play Rogue so bad! I've been putting it off, as I I feel like the minute I buy it, Ubisoft will announce the PS4/XB1 version.

Urgh, I need to play Rogue so bad! I've been putting it off, as I I feel like the minute I buy it, Ubisoft will announce the PS4/XB1 version.

I'm about 10% into Rogue and I'm already considering it one of the best. Assuming it keeps up this level of awesomeness throughout.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The PC version released a little more than eight months ago now and with E3, Gamescom, and whatever else having since passed, it's safe to say PS4/X1 versions aren't happening.

valkyre

I don't think I've had any memory leaks either (PS4), but I'll keep an eye out. That really, really sucks.

Is the framerate always smooth for you on PS4 while traversing the city on foot in ground level?

I notice that my framerate has certainly become worse than when Is started the game. There is a lot of judder now when changing directions/panning the camera

SomTervo

Rogue is really good.

The open world/sea is infinitely worse than Black Flag's (there's no straight-up open ocean, it's all closed somehow) but every town/village/location is way more intricate and a lot of the gameplay mechanics seem streamlined.

The story and characters are broadly pretty crappy, too, but it feels like a pretty good adventure.

Can't wait for Syndicate to drop price on PC, if performance is any good. I'm holding out for you, CDKeys...

This is the most fun I've had with the series since Brotherhood because it essentially feels like Brotherhood 2, especially once you get the Call Cart ability and become a pimp ass gang leader who doesn't even have to get their hands dirty anymore like Ezio. It gets even more ridiculous when you layer the carriage combat on top of that and there are like 5 carriages of all types rolling down streets causing a rampage. Then the police might get involved. Sometimes you just have to stand back and let the game work itself out.

The world looks really great as well. It's not always as striking as certain scenes from Unity, but I much prefer the dynamic day/night cycle to the static/baked lighting in that game. Love the era. They really captured that sense of high society juxtaposed against the grime of industry. The transitions from monumental landmarks and verdant gardens to the factories and working class areas is very well done. I just wish the nighttime portion of the day/night cycle was longer, and the ambient music was used more.

On the story side, I'm still only in Sequence 4, but Evie is already one of the best assassins they've done. Really good performance from Victoria Atkin, and that dry sense of humor + jabs and side eyes at Jacob make for an endearing character. She could've carried the game alone tbh, but the sibling dynamic is fun. The overarching plot is kinda bleh but the protagonists make it work. I'm sure it'll crash and burn at the end, but videogames tend to do that so I'll just enjoy the journey.

It's still Assassin's Creed and isn't doing anything revolutionary so this isn't the game that'll change anyone's mind, but it's absolutely one of the better ones in the franchise, probably top 3. Too bad it's being punished for Unity's sins. I hope Ubisoft can sift through the commercial reception to find the positives here.

This is music to my ears. I hope the game has a long sales-tail.

From what I've seen - I would definitely agree that Evie can carry the whole game. They used Jacob literally just as a marketing tool - to say "here, men, you still play a man, it's all manly man in this game, Jacob is a badass" then they tacked on Evie just to see how a female playable character works out. Check out any bumf/blurbs about the game - all the ones I've read have no mention of Evie and just talk about Jacob.

Then separately, due to their mismanagement of the IP, sales drop, and they will undoubtedly correlate that with the inclusion of a female protag. Classic.

If they give it a one-year break and come back with a total beast of a game in 2017 - perhaps reboot-level - that would be great.

Roussow

Any way to permanently unlock the fight club outfits?

Because this is just the best.
2954096-acs_sc_69_reviews_eviefight_1444953340.jpg

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
fidelio_forte said:

I would wait two weeks until after PSX and if there's no announcement at that time, I would say that a PS4/X1 version isn't going to happen. Of course, I have been one of the very few people who have said that a current gen port was never going to happen for one simple reason - Ubisoft is the only publisher who has not released a PS3/360 game on PS4/XB1. In other words, they haven't done any "remasters" or "definitive" editions.

I'm about 10% into Rogue and I'm already considering it one of the best. Assuming it keeps up this level of awesomeness throughout.

Rogue is awesome. Story, characters, mission objectives, etc. are all better than Black Flag. Best of all, there's NO eavesdropping missions which were overdone in Black Flag.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
SomTervo said:
Rogue is really good.

The open world/sea is infinitely worse than Black Flag's (there's no straight-up open ocean, it's all closed somehow) but every town/village/location is way more intricate and a lot of the gameplay mechanics seem streamlined.

The story and characters are broadly pretty crappy, too, but it feels like a pretty good adventure.

Disagree with the open world/sea being worse than Black Flag. There's three different maps. Two sea and one land. Black Flag's Caribbean open world sea was awesome but Rogue's is just as good if not better. It's basically the "ice cold" version of it but it's damn good.

Story and characters are easily better than Black Flag and Unity in my opinion. It's not even close. Mission objective wise, it's easily better as Black Flag had way too many eavesdropping missions while Rogue has none whatsoever which is a huge positive over Black Flag.

For me, Black Flag is a 9/10 while Rogue is a 9.5/10 and was my 2014 game of the year. An excellent game with no online stuff whatsoever, no co-op, no multi-player, etc. You can even play the Naval Campaign (mini ship battles) completely off the disc without any internet connection whatsoever. Rogue takes everything good about Black Flag and makes it even better.

If I had to list my negatives for Rogue, it would be that the story is short (but very good) and needed one more sequence in my opinion. With that said, I would rather play Rogue's story again over Black Flag's especially since the mission objectives are better in Rogue and again, no eavesdropping missions which I fucking hated in Black Flag. Only other negative is also in Black Flag and that revolves around being able to purchase animal skins. I know it was possible but I would have had more hunting side quests that allow you to acquire animal skins. In other words, I would have had quests that revolve around each individual animal in the game for you to kill and skin. Don't like having the option to purchase animal skins because after a while, it's like, okay, im tired of looking for this or that animal, let me just purchase the skin. Regardless, Rogue is easily the better game in my honest opinion and Black Flag is what made me an AC fan to begin with so saying Rogue is better definitely means something.

SomTervo said:
This is music to my ears. I hope the game has a long sales-tail.

From what I've seen - I would definitely agree that Evie can carry the whole game. They used Jacob literally just as a marketing tool - to say "here, men, you still play a man, it's all manly man in this game, Jacob is a badass" then they tacked on Evie just to see how a female playable character works out. Check out any bumf/blurbs about the game - all the ones I've read have no mention of Evie and just talk about Jacob.

Then separately, due to their mismanagement of the IP, sales drop, and they will undoubtedly correlate that with the inclusion of a female protag. Classic.

If they give it a one-year break and come back with a total beast of a game in 2017 - perhaps reboot-level - that would be great.

Evie is by far, the superior character and while Jacob isn't bad or horrible, he's just not as good as Evie is and he's annoying. The two character setup though fits in the game throughout the story and makes sense once you finish the game.

Personally enjoyed the story, characters and all the side stuff (I completed everything 100%) way more than Unity which isn't saying much but still. Syndicate also had a good ending and boss fight in my opinion. The main villain is also damn good.

I don't see Ubisoft giving AC a year off. Franchise still sells and since Syndicate rebounded the franchise after Unity, it's definitely not going to happen. Besides, im already looking forward to next year's AC game because it's supposed to be developed by the team that developed Black Flag so im definitely pumped looking ahead compared to how I was after Unity. A lot more confidence and excitement going into AC 2016 than I was going into AC 2015.

If Ubisoft was to ever reboot AC, one things is for sure, the present day stuff, abstergo and animus garbage should be eliminated 100% in my opinion.

iNvid02

nuuvem keys seem to be available in your account area, preloading it now. (38gb)

have to wait until 19 while pirates get it early once again but i could give a fuck right now, i got me a fallout

IjRVCBG.png

freefornow

Gold Member
Is the framerate always smooth for you on PS4 while traversing the city on foot in ground level?

I notice that my framerate has certainly become worse than when Is started the game. There is a lot of judder now when changing directions/panning the camera

Something similar happened in the Mad Max game. Smooth framerate for the first half of the game and then certain scenes in the second half became a slide show (PS4 & XB1). Don't think that was ever resolved or a credible explanation, as to why it occurred, given.
Yet to play AC:S so cant share my experiences.

brau

nuuvem keys seem to be available in your account area, preloading it now. (38gb)

have to wait until 19 while pirates get it early once again but i could give a fuck right now, i got me a fallout

IjRVCBG.png

I was hoping Ubi would go through with their PC stream of the game... it doesn't bode well that they cancelled it and won't show it until release. :( I was tempted to get it if it looked like a good port from the stream.

Are there any sources discussing the pc port?

brau

So is the lighting model and pbr as good in this as Unity? I know crowds are severely reduced, just hoping that gorgeous lighting is still intact.

Lighting is different. Since there is no baking of lights and shadows this time around. There is a day and night cycle tho. So it'll be a bit different from the great lighting that they could get away in unity.

Lighting is different. Since there is no baking of lights and shadows this time around. There is a day and night cycle tho. So it'll be a bit different from the great lighting that they could get away in unity.

Bummer, oh well will still check it out. I'm a sucker for these games even if I don't put as much time into them as I used to.

MayMay

Banned
Can't wait.. tried not to spoil myself too hard before the PC release. Only watched the modern day cutscenes but they're such a small part it doesnt even matter.

Bring it on

Check the console screenshots thread, some people including myself have posted screens of this game. Lighting and PBR is still superb.

I just don't like how the night time doesn't last long compared to the day time, and whenever you turn on the game it defaults to daytime even if you saved during the night.

I'd love a Kenway trilogy pack with AC3 and Rogue remastered for current gen (and the packed in AC4 which obviously already had a current gen release). Edit: Well Kenway trilogy doesn't work as a name with Rogue.. but it ties in with Achilles.

The frontier with today's visuals.... Please Ubi. Give us this next year while you take the fan-friendly year off everyone keeps begging you to do.

Some high praise for Rogue. Definitely will check it out after Syndicate on PC

I did watch the giant bomb quick look long ago. I remember liking the Irish characters.

I love Rogue but there really isn't any story to speak of. There is a cool premise but that's about it. The main path is very short and really doesn't go anywhere.

pc version is pretty nice. solid 30fps with everything on (pcss and hbao etc) and downsampling from 1440p to 1080p. running on an i7, 8gb ram and a 970.
You having access to this early has a certain... Implication, no? Edit: apologies, apparently you can play Uplay downloads now if you're clever.

I'm torn on whether to keep my NVIDIA code or to get it on PS4. I have a 970 so I know it'll be a better technical experience but I can't take my PC with me over Christmas break. Hmm...

4jjiyoon

You having access to this early has a certain... Implication, no? Edit: apologies, apparently you can play Uplay downloads now if you're clever.

I'm torn on whether to keep my NVIDIA code or to get it on PS4. I have a 970 so I know it'll be a better technical experience but I can't take my PC with me over Christmas break. Hmm...

i unlocked it legitimately on uplay.

Which type of AA are you using?

txaa x2 + fxaa.

Can you get locked 60fps at 1080p?

if i put everything down to high and turn off pcss. if you're curious, this is how it looks with everything on high to get 60fps.

i unlocked it legitimately on uplay.

how? i am pre loading it now.

I started the preload in Uplay and when it said there was enough game downloaded already to play it, I installed the CODEX crack on the binkw64.dll file so that I could launch the game without waiting until Thursday... The game launched properly

this is taken from reddit.. i cant find any other way to unlock it early.

Can't wait to see the DF face off ( if they do it) comparing console and PC.

60fps with better image quality looks very nice from those videos.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hmm, I think I'll hold off on the PC port for sometime. Need to see more reviews and port discussions before I dive in.

Game does not a lot more washed out and inferior compared to Unity, so I guess they made it work better.

4jjiyoon

For some reason clothing in the PC version runs at 30fps. Everything else is a buttery smooth 60 and then your cape will just be stuttering along at 30. It's really distracting
Here's an offscreen clip I took
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cAS0wlwbWE

yup. one of the first things i noticed. most of the cloth is animated at 30fps, flags etc.

Hmm, I think I'll hold off on the PC port for sometime. Need to see more reviews and port discussions before I dive in.

Game does not a lot more washed out and inferior compared to Unity, so I guess they made it work better.

it does feel empty compared to unity too.

Flandy

Here's a bunch of screenshots I took. Runs at 1080p60 on my rig (970, i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM)

I believe I may have had it set to HBAO+ instead of HBAO+ Ultra in the last 2 screenshots. Texture Resolution may have been set to medium as well in the last two. I was still messing around with my settings at the time

edit: reposting for 50ppp people
cloth animations run at 30fps for some reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cAS0wlwbWE

edit 2: Accidentally had AF set to application controlled instead of 16x in nvidia control panel

Top Bottom