• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Review Thread

SeanR1221

What a weird mix of reviews. Keeping my pre order. Had a 10 credit at Best Buy. That, plus the gamers discount and the pre order bonus means I got this game for 38.00 and will have a 10.00 gift card in a month.

how does the male protagonist compare to the one from black flag? Hope there's more depth and character here, don't want have to re live the life of another shallow ass clown that was what-ever-the-fuck his name was from black flag...

DOWN

Banned
lol, the detail of Unity's static light maps is NOT happening this gen through dynamic lighting. If you think it will (and that Ubi is just lazy) you are going to be sorely disappointed. Dynamic lighting will improve, but static light maps like Unity are out of range of current gen consoles CPUs.

good thing I didn't bring up laziness

eizarus

Banned
giphy.gif

I expected this game to be a fail, but it's slowly been tempting me lately. Honestly, I'm surprised with how many journalists gave it high ratings. Since I skipped Unity, I'll definitely pick this up now.

Ubisoft... please don't fuck up next year's AC.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Apologies if already covered, but is there any ridiculous companion app nonsense in this?

artsi

I'm surprised, expected this to bomb (critically). Luckily I have a birthday coming up so the wife promised to buy this tomorrow.

SURGEdude

Crazy how you much variety there is to the scores. That said its more or less what I expected, maybe a few points higher than I would have guessed. Somewhere between Unity and the top titles in the series.

weevles

Generally positive reviews. The outliers are really down on the game, while most seem satisified with the overall product.

I got a free PC copy with my video card upgrade, so I'm happy to play it when that version gets released next month (assuming no delays).

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It seems to go from being good to being bad.

IMO the good could come from your A-list gamer who thinks the mundane parkour is something great because it's straightforward and tails itself around the graphics.

Then you could say some people are just jaded because they feel a burn out.

Idk how to feel to be honest. I'm a bit burned out and I know it's more or less a cinematic, run down a single path, get to the location, etc etc.

Iconic characters though? Corvo from Dishonored seems more iconic.

GI and IGN feel like their review team is in the video game spirit once again, but who knows. I'll wait until it has dropped in price or something.

AU Tiger

So it's not terrible I suppose... I may pick it up on sale later next year. I was all but totally convinced I was going to skip this one completely.

Kssio_Aug

Really positive scores, but I'm still not convinced. By everything I've watched it seems Unity with grappling hook and without a cooperative mode.

Have they said anything about those smartphones apps that blocks in-game content behind stupid, boring, time-consuming mini-games? What about those infinity and useless collectables or chests that contains literally nothing worth it?

It's okay that the game may actually plays better than Unity. But to me at least I can't see Syndicate becoming a trully better Assassin's Creed without a trully improved combat system and without the story being fixed (what I believe will recquire a reboot).

SRTtoZ

Not sure why people are surprised. Unity had the same thing happen and that game was pretty bad all things considered (bugs, framerate, bullshit app chests, mediocre story/gameplay) and outlets still gave it 80's 90's and even a perfect 100. All Ubi really had to do was release a game that ran well without as many bugs and stupid bullshit and wallah, a pretty decent 8/10 game. I still think people who have AC fatigue will want to skip it but if you are craving an open world collectathon in Victorian London, you're in luck.

dk_

I'm so tempted to get this, but I can't go for the PS4 version. I finished Unity today and the framerate is really unbearable for me. I think I'll wait for the PC version.

Have they said anything about those smartphones apps that blocks in-game content behind stupid, boring, time-consuming mini-games? What about those infinity and useless collectables or chests that contains literally nothing worth it?

Unless I missed something, there's no app and no Ubisoft account only chests. The golden chests in this game are just special items. Ton of collectible items though.

Not sure why people are surprised. Unity had the same thing happen and that game was pretty bad all things considered (bugs, framerate, bullshit app chests, mediocre story/gameplay) and outlets still gave it 80's 90's and even a perfect 100. All Ubi really had to do was release a game that ran well without as many bugs and stupid bullshit and wallah, a pretty decent 8/10 game. I still think people who have AC fatigue will want to skip it but if you are craving an open world collectathon in Victorian London, you're in luck.

This! First thing I thought to myself after seeing the scores was this game reviews well every year. Then after if we, the players decides it's shit, outlets like IGN will talk about the game like they never gave it a high score. Take Gamespot for example. They gave it a 9, now go watch the Lobby with my man Danny O'Dwyer and it sounds like all the same problems are there. Brain dead AI, a big world with zombie like citizens and an unfollowable plot. The main issue is freedom to solve Assassinations like you did bases in MGSV. From what I read the freedom isn't there and in the couple of video reviews I watched, they never addressed how the gameplay improves at all. in fact the gameplay looks exactly the same and the fact that I haven't heard it's different at all, tells me it's not different at all.

Josh5890

It just feels like another Assassin's Creed game. Maybe I'm wrong. It just feels like they haven't been fresh since Black Flag.

Depending on everyone's reactions, I'll probably pick it up at $20

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If you don't like the traversal then I doubt you'll enjoy it

I love how games can look good sitting still, but I can only take so much of ---|-------|------|

The formula isn't bad, but sometimes it goes there when I'm not ready for it.

They send you to your next destination and a cutscene plays and it's either adding more or it's just going to go.
I always hope they do it better and make it more natural.

It just feels like another Assassin's Creed game. Maybe I'm wrong. It just feels like they haven't been fresh since Black Flag.

Depending on everyone's reactions, I'll probably pick it up at $20

It is another Assassin's Creed game.

Seriously, if that's a problem, Syndicate won't change your mind.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This! Take Gamespot for example. They gave it a 9, now go watch the Lobby with my man Danny O'Dwyer and it sounds like all the same problems are there. Brain dead AI, a big world with zombie like citizens and an unfollowable plot.

So? Different people. Different opinions.

jackdoe

At least Ubisoft escaped from last year's disaster.
But They need to push forward further on next assassin's creed.
Well, they escaped it from a critical standpoint (the current metacritic score is fairly in line with series trends). Who know how they'll fare commercially though.

Pez

I'm wary of these scores.

A "9" for Assassin's Creed now will be a "7" in three months.

Looking at you, Arkham Knight.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
The hype is real! Don't know whether to get this on PS4 now or just wait a month and get it on PC. Probably PC.

Top Bottom