• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Gamescom Demo

ButchCat

Aren't the cutscenes done in realtime? Why was there a one second black screen? When are we gonna get rid of loading screens?!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Aren't the cutscenes done in realtime? Why was there a one second black screen? When are we gonna get rid of loading screens?!
The cutscenes are realtime but I imagine that the very short fade to black makes things much easier to have scenes like characters on roofs. Instead of the awkward thing when the character will quickly slide into place, like in MGSGZ. Not to mention better for the cinematography since they can start the cutscene at a different angle.

theWB27

It still unnerves me though, because in the end, the games are designed around this idiotic HUD. Just seeing the constant updates and tips popping up, and the game always showing your objective, as if you're an idiot, annoys. Why does the health bar need to have the character's name on it? Who designs this shit?

If I get this game, I'll definitely attempt to play it without this stupid crap.

You really hate options, huh.

woen

Also I don't know if it's thread worthy but a senior producer in a french interview answered a question about the 1080@60fps "standard" on consoles.

Do not expect 1080p or 60fps on PS4 or XBO

"It depends what type of game you play, action/driving/fighting require high level of fps, action/adventure game don't, it is in general and it was in previous AC games 30fps, the AC standard, what we target for Unity. Resolution depends on the systems"

"So we won't see 1080p on consoles ?"

"No, depends on games, certain games are optimized for this, we prefer quality of pixels over quantity of pixels. Our bet on Unity the quality of the image, the rendering/finish, so we have what we call post-processing, lots of Anti-Aliasing, post-effects, nice particules effects, so it's expensive in term of ressources, we prefer quality over quantity"

I feel like the 1080p answer is less definitive than the 60fps one, and now that they have a deal/partnership with Microsoft, maybe it leveled down the standard ?

Link

Raptor

Black Flag was 1080p and this wont be?

Second game of the generation and already starting to downgrade?

For fuck sakes.

woen

For fuck sakes.

It's not the same level in terms of graphics as Black Flag or even Watch_Dogs, you can't deny that. It's an upgrade actually.

iNvid02

imagine if he had infamous powers, you just know it would be immensley satisfying divebombing into that crowd

Raptor

Would hardly call this game a downgrade lol

It's not the same level in terms of graphics as Black Flag or even Watch_Dogs, you can't deny that. It's an upgrade actually.

I don't know, still seems like the wrong decision was made if they will not even reach 1080p, if we look at what other devs are doing for instance.

Maybe Im asking too much of this new consoles, I don't know, maybe in time I will accept 900p or something of that nature.

Game looks incredible visually and the scale is off the fucking hook but still not being fully 1080p makes me a little sad.

Crossing Eden

For fuck sakes.
I think you kinda just proved his point about quality of pixels over quantity of pixels. The tech is much more important and noteworhty the resolution. Compare the visuals and animation in this to black flag. Or better yet to something like amazing spiderman 2, a 1080p game.

Also I don't know if it's thread worthy but a senior producer in a french interview answered a question about the 1080@60fps "standard" on consoles.

I feel like the 1080p answer is less definitive than the 60fps one, and now that they have a deal/partnership with Microsoft, maybe it leveled down the standard ?

Link

IM pretty sure i saw ubisoft say they would target 1080p@60fps with Unity.
Atleast be 900p@30fps on the X1 i might consider getting unity.

Raptor

I think you kinda just proved his point about quality of pixels over quantity of pixels. The tech is much more the resolution. Compare the visuals and animation in this to black flag. Or better yet to something like amazing spiderman 2, a 1080p game.

I think I will compare it to Second Son that is too an open world and that did lots of FX and that stuff he is talking, and that game was 1080p with an unlocked framerate that felt smooth as butter.

Also they already had time to get use to this hardware and already shipped an AC game in this consoles, not being able to reach 1080p even with what is doing is a failure in my eyes personally.

But maybe I will eat crow and this game will do things no other game can in terms of geometry and effects and whatnot that the compromise will be worthy.

Toa TAK

Banned

-snip-

Link
Cool. Even when they said they were targeting it, I didn't expect it then either. Stuff like that doesn't make or break a game for me.

woen

I don't know, still seems like the wrong decision was made if they will not even reach 1080p, if we look at what other devs are doing for instance.

Maybe Im asking too much of this new consoles, I don't know, maybe in time I will accept 900p or something of that nature.

Game looks incredible visually and the scale is off the fucking hook but still not being fully 1080p makes me a little sad.

Makes me sad too, but honestly I prefer great AA, no popping, rock-solid 30fps over 1080p and a game disappointing when we see aliasing, lots of popping or drops of framerate. They don't make creative compromise over nothing.

IM pretty sure i saw ubisoft say they would target 1080p@60fps with Unity.

They did.

Maybe the producer is wrong though, this kind of information is never 100% sure, there's a lot of inconsistency and secret.

Raptor

Makes me sad too, but honestly I prefer great AA, no popping, rock-solid 30fps over 1080p and a game disappointing when we see aliasing, lots of popping or drops of framerate. They don't make creative compromise over nothing.

When you put it like that :)

I agree.

Crossing Eden

I think I will compare it to Second Son that is too an open world and that did lots of FX and that stuff he is talking, and that game was 1080p with an unlocked framerate that felt smooth as butter.

Also they already had time to get use to this hardware and already shipped an AC game in this consoles, not being able to reach 1080p even with what is doing is a failure in my eyes personally.

But maybe I will eat crow and this game will do things no other game can in terms of geometry and effects and whatnot that the compromise will be worthy.
But think about the quality, infamous SS is an extremely shallow game with braindead npcs that have no reactions besides very simple interactions. And was still made on video game scale instead of actual/as close as possible life scale. I'm sure they wouldn't be able to achieve 1080p if the game had anywhere near as many npcs on screen. I'm not even sure if the npcs themselves had dynamic cloth physics. Something that was also in Watch Dogs.

theWB27

Infamous and AC....one can produce upto 30,000 NPCs onscreen at once...the other, well doesn't.

One is making a city that is near 1:1 scale, with the insides of buildings rendered and an underground system. The other doesn't.

You can't just look and say, they're both open world so they can be compared. Pretty unfair really.

Infamous and AC....one can produce upto 30,000 NPCs onscreen at once...the other, well doesn't.

One is making a city that is near 1:1 scale, with the insides of buildings rendered and an underground system. The other doesn't.

You can't just look and say, they're both open world so they can be compared. Pretty unfair really.

Already confusion about this - they said 30,000 NPCs are loaded onto the map but 5000 are visible on screen at one time. Watch part 2 of IGN's making of videos where they clarify this.

Crossing Eden

Yup, I forgot to mention the fact that the inside of 1/4th of the buildings have their own interiors. Not to mention the underground system. There's even some footage of it inside the italian video.

I dislike the cluttered minimaps of Ubisoft games (see: Far Cry 3, AssCreed Pirates etc.), but can't help to feel that I need this game.

When is it releasing ?

Kssio_Aug

LOL! It's funny how I get out of a CoD thread, and go right into a AC thread, and become amazed with both!!

Unity is looking pretty good!! Is like they really listened to a lot of players feedback! I guess that may be the result of AC:IV missions feedback??
Its awesome how they're just making it so good.. theyre giving us freedom to not be forced on eavesdrop missions or whatever, they are enhancing the combat, and even the animus stuff seems to be way less intrusive now! Loving it!

I have to say that Ubisoft is surprising me a lot with this one! Wasnt expecting that.

Crossing Eden

I dislike the cluttered minimaps of Ubisoft games (see: Far Cry 3, AssCreed Pirates etc.), but can't help to feel that I need this game.

When is it releasing ?
October 28th, 2014. And don't worry, you can turn off the minimap if you want to.

theWB27

Yup, I forgot to mention the fact that the inside of 1/4th of the buildings have their own interiors. Not to mention the underground system. There's even some footage of it inside the italian video.

Hadn't seen that yet...probably won't look in order to keep me surprised when released.

Already confusion about this - they said 30,000 NPCs are loaded onto the map but 5000 are visible on screen at one time. Watch part 2 of IGN's making of videos where they clarify this.

Ah, thanks for that. Still....can't compare what AC is doing to what Infamous did.

Kinyou

I don't get why they feel the need to constantly show you the mission objective. Why can't it just appear when you get a new one and then fade away after a few seconds?
(I know that you can turn hud elemnts off, but when you turn it off you wont see any mission objectives at all)

woen

I don't get why they feel the need to constantly show you the mission objective. Why can't it just appear when you get a new one and then fade away after a few seconds?
(I know that you can turn hud elemnts off, but when you turn it off you wont see any mission objectives at all)

They rebuilt the HUD options too, you now have 3 HUD type with more or less elements on it, so I guess they thought for the "low elements HUD" to have just a pop up for mission objectives. You have the start menu anyway if you want to check on objectives (if there's still several optional objectives)

Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to watch this later.

Meanwhile in the Destiny threads, everybody complains that the mission objectives don't stay and instead fade away after a few seconds.

nOoblet16

Link
Ubisoft has already mentioned that 30FPS is their standard for open world games.
They'll never do 60FPS for these games going by what they said and their development philosophies.

sjay1994

How silly of me, for a second there I thought this game might actually not have the usual "made for retards" AC HUD. The mini-map is really not necessary in this particular AC game since you can see all the nearby icons on the map with a click of a button.

No you can't.

In order for that to happen, you need to be on a place of elevation.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Black Flag is a cross gen game and this isn't.. not hitting 1080p will be the norm when devs start ditching PS3/360

Yeah it sucks that all those PS4 exclusives aren't 1080p.

damn...I sometimes got that feeling of falling while playing other ones and jumping off really high buildings. This is going to be insane

ryan299

Game looks beautiful but after Black Flag I really don't want to go back to old style of AC. Black Flag was awesome. I wish Rogue was coming to next gen bc it looks a lot more fun than Unity.

sjay1994

When you put it like that :)

I agree.

Honestly don't care what the framerate is as long as its stable.

People tell me TLOU remastered is the game that proves how important framerate is. Sure I played at 60 all the time, and tried 30 and switched back.

Doesn't mean I hate 30 fps, it means I don't like it when a game has an inconsistant framerate.

If you present a game to me at 30fps, it better be solid.

And not like Skyrim on PS3. That game literally became a slideshow sometimes.

KingJolly

Banned
Huge buildings, no more jumping into haystacks if you want to fall straight to hell.

Now after comparing both gameplay videos of Rouge and Unity, Unity definitly seems better

Game looks beautiful but after Black Flag I really don't want to go back to old style of AC. Black Flag was awesome. I wish Rogue was coming to next gen bc it looks a lot more fun than Unity.

I feel you man. Gonna miss those epic ship battles and that sense of adventure landing on islands and traversing jungles. Hope Rouge comes to PS4 down the line

Top Bottom