• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Leaker calls out to Neogaf/provides clarification on graphics

I want to say that the images are taken directly from the screenshot function of the PS4 and that function deteriorates - a little - the images ... As I often take screenshots with FRAPS when I am gaming in 4K resolution, I can tell that the screenshot function of the PS4 is not very good.

Lol at him blaming the PS screenshot feature. Type in my username into the search bar for the 'Consoles Screenshots' thread. Every shot in there from me has been uploaded using the USB method, and none of them look as bad as those AC:U shots did. Not even the AC4 or Watch Dogs shots.

The game doesn't look as good as Ubi lead us to believe. Get over it.

Stare into this face and know the horror of 900p

xhjwpSW.jpg

I'm really disappointed with what's been leaked so far

AC4 was one of my favourite games last year, and everything about unity just looks like shit.

Now I'm convinced that Yves is truly THE Yves.

The screens look bad but the videos do look great, he's right. But the PS4 DOES NOT blur images that badly, check out the SS screenshot thread, TLoU, Shadow of Mordor etc.

Suddenly it's the screenshot function at fault and not the game, okay sure.

That's because those games have built in screenshot features.

The PS4's screenshot functionality definitely doesn't look the same as the image on screen. Here are a few screenshots I've taken over the past week or so during my playthrough of Alien Isolation.

http://imgur.com/a/v5wj6

Some look great, others don't.

cripterion

Games been a total trainwreck. They really need to skip a year and reboot.

Sad no one in the "gaming media" will call them out for this nonsense. Just goes back to how big of a joke gaming journalists are....

WTF? The game isn't out yet and it's been a total trainwreck? And exactly what nonsense are they supposed to call out?

Eden you are really dedicated. I think you should just understand that feelings toward the game aren't going to change after the Ubisoft PR debacle.

The worst thing in this whole situation to me though is that it seems to be yet another Ubisoft downgrade. Far Cry 4 and The Division are probably next. The review thread for this will be fun (no matter what scores it gets).

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
But did he upload them to Twitter or Facebook? Or did he use the USB method to get less compression? Because if he used the USB method, TLoU and Infamous SS Screenshot threads would like to disagree.
He uploaded the gameplay directly to facebook so it can be assumed that he didn't use the USB method.

Definitely, but I really really doubt a direct upload to facebook or whatever options available would blur the image that badly.
Video uploads directly from ps4 are definitely a mess, screenshots less so.

I just fail to see the point of this damage control...
You fail to see the point in the leaker clarifying instead of leaving people to kneejerk reactions? It's not Ubisoft clarifying this, it's the leaker himself. But no no the leaker should "just get over it."

The PS4's screenshot functionality definitely doesn't look the same as the image on screen. Here are a few screenshots I've taken over the past week or so during my playthrough of Alien Isolation.

Infamous:SS, TLoU:R and Shadow of Mordor don't alter the shots in any way when they are taken in photo-mode. There are no extra affects added, like better AA for example.

Wtf? Were you afraid that you would not get the attention your were craving for in the other thread so you post the same thing again in another thread?

Good god, man.

It was a joke. The image made me laugh so I shared it. I'm probably buying this game. Do wish it was as sharp as black flag though.

It goes to show that even if it was 1080p there are always going to be ugly assets in a big game like this if you focus on the wrong thing.

Crossing Eden

Lol at him blaming the PS screenshot feature. Type in my username into the search bar for the 'Consoles Screenshots' thread. Every shot in there from me has been uploaded using the USB method, and none of them look as bad as those AC:U shots did. Not even the AC4 or Watch Dogs shots.

The game doesn't look as good as Ubi lead us to believe. Get over it.
He wasn't using the USB method. The USB method looks much better than the direct upload method. Come on now, that was established months ago.
http://gearnuke.com/ps4-usb-video-export-details-captures/

Kaswa101

GAF gonna GAF.

This game never stood a chance here lol. Which is kinda sad imo, given the reasoning behind all this outrage. Meanwhile I'll continue to look forward to playing it.

I didn't see it in the other thread, what's wrong with him posting it here?

Because it is pure Unity bashing by posting a zoomed in MS Paint screenshot. People in these Unity threads are looking for every single small detail to discredit it. If I would have the dedication I could easily zoom in on a Second Son screenshot and show something terrible as well.

The sheer hate people have with Ubisoft is phenomenal here. There is absolutely not one positive thing that can be said from anyone here.

So the leaker is a Ubisoft and AC fan and seeing how his own screenshots were used as a base to bash the game, he decided to defend it? That's what I get from his message anyways.

Not saying the game will suck, or that it looks horrible, but we were promised far more than what we are getting. The fault lies with Ubisoft.

It doesn't matter at the end of the day that it looks perhaps a little better than the screenshots suggest. Because it seems to me this game is being let out the oven way too early to cash in on those christmas sales.

t_wilson01

You must understand that Ubisoft had to make a compromise between graphics and falling population density + animations streets and plenty of small details. [/B]When you will have your copy of the game and after you take a step back, you will realize that this game is really innovative in its way. I have never seen so many people, so many little animations and when I let the controller and listen to the conversations of the NPC, I can not imagine all the work that there is behind.
Crowd simulator confirmed. Anything else you do in the game is just to break the monotony.

But this game is still beautiful, lively and really fun to play. I know the graphics are important to many people, but please guys... Ubisoft gives us an AC in France, in Paris during the French Revolution, be happy and enjoy the game...

In other words, shut up and buy it.

Virtually all games look better in motion/while playing...

Though apart from the blur the IQ seems to be pretty good so I guess yeah, would look smooth while playing and not a jaggy mess with too much shimmering.

With the level of detail one might not really see flaws while playing anyway, but those textures and partly low geometry of models/NPCs must be noticeable. Lighting doesn't look too hot either especially with nothing having shadows unless it's directly standing in the sun.

However, mostly I'm puzzled why this game doesn't look much better than Black Flag AND having a lower res. It must come down to model density or something. That one shot with the crowd from above looks impressive. Although shots on the ground don't show any higher NPC density than in the PS3 titles.
Maybe the engine doesn't scale? Like, that's the graphics for the max amount of NPCs etc. instead of boosting the looks during normal gameplay.

Seeing some of the reactions in this thread (and others) makes me so glad I don't give a shit about resolution. It just continues to reach new levels of ridiculousness.

The game looks great. It's going to be fun. Just seems stupid to draw lines in the sand as excuses to not play it.

Honestly its not so much the graphics themselves it Ubi continuously lieing about their products. The game was demoed on stage 4 months ago on "Xbox One" and it looked nothing like the screenshots the leaker posted.

The game may be fantastic. Hell I'm buying the CE but its bullshit how Ubi continues to falsely advertise their products.

Seeing some of the reactions in this thread (and others) makes me so glad I don't give a shit about resolution. It just continues to reach new levels of ridiculousness.

The game looks great. It's going to be fun. Just seems stupid to draw lines in the sand as excuses to not play it.

I understand people are excited but why do people consistently come into these threads to tell us that "we're making mole hills out of mountains" and "I don't care, dis gunna b gud!".

Honestly, why does it bother fans of the game so much they feel the need to come into a thread that directly opposes their "ideals" on how or why a game should be judged?

jwk94

That has no effect on the quality unless you touch it up yourself.

When did you receive your copy?

Oh I haven't gotten a copy yet, but the leaker confirmed my thoughts.

TBH those debating arent even discussing resolution that much. 900p is not "blurry" or low res or whatever and these screens have obviously been compressed to hell and back again. Other GAFers usually point stuff like this out before I do, but it's getting glossed over a lot.

Youre basically getting the same old shitty "DOWNGRADETON" maymay shit usually thrown at Ubisoft.

This game in particular has always looked better in motion. Even in that leaked alpha footage that was glitchy as fuck, it looked great. Compressed screencaps of the side of a building tell us almost nothing, yet people are acting like this game looks like shit.

The thing is, people are still pretty pissed over the parity debacle and are channeling their discontent at the game as a whole. Mods have actually had to delete posts and threaten to ban users at all the immature jokes about parity.

Do I think the parity scandal is true? Maybe. WD was 900p on PS4 vs XO's 720p. Several other games have resolution or frame rate gaps. It is really suspicious how MS is supporting this game and then this happens. But then again, I'll wait for the DF article before I pass judgement, since no one knows what's going on in the background. Thats what a reasonable person would do.

Because it is pure Unity bashing by posting a zoomed in MS Paint screenshot. People in these Unity threads are looking for every single small detail to discredit it. If I would have the dedication I could easily zoom in on a Second Son screenshot and show something terrible as well.

The sheer hate people have with Ubisoft is phenomenal here. There is absolutely not one positive thing that can be said from anyone here.

I understand if you didn't find the joke funny but stop taking it so personal.

Loudninja

Thats fine,but people here are trying to discuss and it does matter to alot of people.

MDSLKTR

He games on a 4K TV 140cm with SLI Titan and he finds AC console version "very beautiful" ? Yeah I don't buy that

elelunicy

When they put Xbox logo at the end? Yes, it is false advertising.
It's only false advertising if it says it's in-game footage, which is not the case.

Games used to use live action footage in the trailer. Are you going to say it's false advertising too?

Crossing Eden

from all the threads where i cam across this guy he sounded like he has a pr hat on
Ok, any other contribution to the discussion?

Honestly its not so much the graphics themselves it Ubi continuously lieing about their products. The game was demoed on stage 4 months ago on "Xbox One" and it looked nothing like the screenshots the leaker posted.

The game may be fantastic. Hell I'm buying the CE but its bullshit how Ubi continues to falsely advertise their products.
They never said that the demo on stage was on xb1, they said it was on pc.
I understand people are excited but why do people consistently come into these threads to tell us that "we're making mole hills out of mountains" and "I don't care, dis gunna b gud!".

Honestly, why does it bother fans of the game so much they feel the need to come into a thread that directly opposes their "ideals" on how or why a game should be judged?
Well that's not exactly happening in this thread. As there were many driveby posts, "oh this sounds like pr, that guy always sounds like pr, keep calm and damage control.jpg"

ethomaz

Banned
So the leak is really from retail game.

Sad... this quality is ridiculous even if PS4 share removed it... it needs to be hell better to be a next-gen game.

I don't really have an opinion on this game so far one way or another (and won't until I see it myself) but I am getting a little tired of "well, yeah, they lied, but..." being the response to the ridiculous early demos we're seeing out of Ubisoft and other companies. It's not okay.

Sou Da

Why bother with this? Shouldn't it not matter since people can just see for themselves in a couple of weeks?

If he doesn't stream the game or something it's not like anyone will believe him.

I understand if you didn't find the joke funny but stop taking it so personal.

Personal? Why should I take it personal if none of it was directed to me? Come on now.

It was a terrible joke in a situation where pretty much every single person in these threads who post such a thing does it for one sole reason; to discredit Unity even more. You should have known better.

Ok, any other contribution to the discussion?

They never said that the demo on stage was on xb1, they said it was on pc.

Well that's not exactly happening in this thread. As there were many driveby posts, "oh this sounds like pr, that guy always sounds like pr, keep calm and damage control.jpg"

I believe you but do you have a link? And not some PR statement that was issued at a later date only hardcore gamers read.

When they demoed the game on stage during E3 at MS presser did they state it was the PC version they were demoing?

People can judge it however they want, I don't really care. It doesn't apply to me has no impact on my decision to buy or not buy a game.

All I'm saying is, it's just to the point where people are more worried about resolution than anything else. It doesn't even have to be about Unity specifically. The impression I get from people is that the game can be incredible but if one console's version has the same resolution as another console's then it's an instant no purchase. I mean, look at the shitfit people had when Destiny got bumped to 1080p on XB1.

For a decent sized subset of people, games aren't about gameplay and fun anymore. They're about the number of pixels on the screen. I just don't get it but hey, if people want to lead a crusade against Ubisoft ove that then by all means, go for it. Just not sure how seriously it can taken at that point.

Sean*O

Why does it seem like the "Leaker" is trying to sell something???

"You must understand that Ubisoft had to make a compromise between graphics and falling population density + animations streets and plenty of small details."

Why is the leaker making excuses as if speaking from an insider perspective?

ShinMaruku

When you see that resultion was supposed to be dealt with years ago and we still have place holder resolution points to devs and perhaps the manufactures have made a beast that they were not up to taming. Part of this is self inflicted. It's a valid discussion. If you are getting tired of the constant sniping well, that's partly marketing and partly your peers. If you like the game you will have to deal with the bad.

As for me I am not drawing any line in the sand even if it was 1080p I'd never buy this because this yearly shovleing of the same game year after year with massive teams will end up to be untenable because the suits think growth is unlimited.

Personal? Why should I take it personal if none of it was directed to me? Come on now.

It was a terrible joke in a situation where pretty much every single person in these threads who post such a thing does it for one sole reason; to discredit Unity even more. You should have known better.

I didn't read the thread I just looked at the leaked photos and that NPC looked real funny to me. It happens. Its an open world game.

Top Bottom