• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Unity microtransaction currency prices revealed ($9.99 to $99.99)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They prices are in the image.

I think the first $19.99 is supposed to be $9.99.

Via Kotaku's review: http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-unity-the-kotaku-review-1657368877

Kotaku said:
Unity also appears to be an experiment to see how much Ubisoft can atomize a game and split it into tiny component parts, the better to aggressively adopt the gameplay systems and business practices of character-leveling, randomized gear collection, individualized characters, synced companion apps and optional and temporary microtransaction-fueled stat-boosting that can make solo gameplay easier.

The good of that atomization of Assassin's Creed game design involve the myriad looks you can adopt for Arno by changing his cowl and clothes...

... and it's nice to have a broader range of weapons and equipment that can modify the assassin's abilities...

But then there's optional but questionable stuff like this, a real-money way to obtain the game's optional "hack" currency instead of using the in-game currency you earn by finishing most missions...

mjx1omb4i7zkygnlvzatdmo9d.png

Whether these changes are temporary experiments or the result of a shift in Ubisoft's long-term goals for the series, the end result is a problem: Assassin's Creed: Unity just isn't very fun.
Source: http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-unity-the-kotaku-review-1657368877

Edit:

As a side note, there are also treasure chests you can only open if you have the iOS/Android companion app. Apparently you only need the free version of the app.

I'm sure they'll get that fixed, but still. This wouldn't be so aggravating if there weren't other treasure chests that could only be opened if you have been using the game's iOS and Android companion app.

Amir0x

Banned
This game is basically like the Trojan horse of every horrible game design direction that has been occurring for the past six years :(

McDougles

No wonder Ubisoft won't do linear games; you can't nearly gouge your consumers for every penny they have without shit like this that you can get away with in an open world game.

Zalman

Cross posting a bit, but I suggest you all read this.

I tried to open a treasure chest, but was told I needed the Assassin’s Creed companion app to open it, with no additional information or context.

I tried to open another treasure chest, and was told I needed to sign up for Assassin’s Creed Initiates to open it.

When I paused the game, the second option in the pause menu is an eStore that lets you spend real money on time-saving boosts, bonus in-game currency, and so-on.

This is a $60 video game set in revolutionary Paris that continually spams you to sign up for Ubisoft services via locked-away in-game content.
More at the link.

jschreier

- pre-order bonuses
- release-day embargo
- microtransactions (of up to $100) in a $60 game

Maybe Assassin's Creed Unity is actually a parody of modern AAA gaming.

Betty

Banned
I'm so glad AC3 burned me enough to drop the series, because this would make me pretty pissed if I was still a fan.

Fuck this.

What about Rogue? It's getting better reviews and if it doesn't have this bullshit as well I think folks should rally that and support Rogue to help tell Ubisoft what's up.

Cess007

**sigh**

Poor performance and now micro-transactions :(

To think i was actually looking forward for an Assassin's Creed game for the first time in my life (the only one i've played was AC4, and i kinda liked it)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
- pre-order bonuses
- release-day embargo
- microtransactions (of up to $100) in a $60 game

Maybe Assassin's Creed Unity is actually a parody of modern AAA gaming.

They have been warning us since 2012: http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/ubisoft-f2p-ideas-in-all-games/

When asked directly about free-to-play on next-gen consoles from Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony, Martinez didn’t back down.

“There will be free-to-play on consoles,” Martinez said. “But in the future, with games like Watch Dogs, we could see more opportunity for $60 games to learn from the free-to-play model. The next generation will offer more and more item-based content,” Martinez. “This will benefit our games’ profitability.”

So, some games may still cost $60, but they’ll at least have plenty of fun micro-transactions.

Their actual f2p games mostly failed though due to being generally poor games and very explicitly/heavily pay to win, so I suspect they'll stick to $60 plus tons of microtransactions.

I had this pre-ordered since I got it almost half off and I was excited to play, but after this and the review thread I'm not even gonna bother picking it up.

No $60 game should have microtransactions. Fuck you, Ubisoft. I won't support that god awful company any longer.

ironcreed

Banned
Disgusting. I read that they are not forced or needed, which had better be the case when I start playing later. Shit like this bothers me more than tech issues.

Gator86

This game is basically like the Trojan horse of every horrible game design direction that has been occurring for the past six years :(

I can't argue with this at all.

I'm so fucking worried for Far Cry 4 now. God, this year of gaming has been so disappointing. I just want to machete people and drag them into the bushes without being prompted to buy yeti dollars or some shit.

Top Bottom