• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Unity microtransaction currency prices revealed ($9.99 to $99.99)

While i wholeheartedly agree with a lot of the complaints against this game and Ubisoft in general. I can't outright say that ill never buy from them again, that's just unrealistic. Once they make the fixes that justify another purchase from me, then im back on board. Some of the messages here seem super drastic and unrealistic.

Also, realize that while this game has turned out to be a bit of a shitshow, they have recently released good titles such as Black Flag and Farcry 3. Just because one game from them is doing so bad in so many areas doesn't necessarily mean every single game from them will be like that.

I dunno.
Maybe im just too optimistic.

It boggles the mind that people even consider paying for stuff like this. They're literally rewarding Ubisoft for making the game worse. Trouble is, even if you don't pay, you still have to deal with all the shitty design decisions

I'm pretty sure 90% of the grinds we see in games now are complete time/money wasting bullshit that doesn't add anything to the game.

Figure its about time to update the mona lisa again.

lFfIOka.jpg

Sotha_Sil

I've been somewhat sympathetic to Ubisoft since they've delivered a number of quality titles over the last four years, but Unity really is a disaster at every turn.

AHA-Lambda

You sure OP that the first option is 9.99?

The Second option at 19.99 gives the same denomination but the extra are considered free; I think it starts at 19.99 :/

Assassin Creed: Unity may be the pinnacle of everything wrong in this industry. Constant lies, misguided PR, lazy effort, broken product.

This game needs to completely crash and burn for Ubisoft to learn something. But it won't, and that is a shame.

Sesha

The overpriced microtransactions is one thing, but chests being gated behind having to download mobile apps or signing on to some service is just laughably ludicrous.

Wanderer5

Ha ha this looks really ridiculous. I still want the game through, just cause it Paris and it has co-op, but maybe I wait some more till a good sale or something.

Biker19

Banned
Ubisoft's just getting really greedy & arrogant at this point.

I hope that this game bombs so that they can be given a big wake up call.

Biker19

Banned
I don't know what's happened to this industry I grew up with from when it started.

Maybe if developers didn't need a massive budget for what at times feels like participating in an interactive movie "PRESS X TO OPEN DOOR" they could go back to basics and concentrate on, y'know, gameplay at an affordable cost and then not need to charge us extra on top of the core game.

Amen to this statement. I'm also appalled at the way that the gaming industry has been turning into ever since the Wii/PS3/360 gen.

It's just getting ridiculous, & unless things start changing, this will probably be my last gen of consoles (or gaming as a whole) unless Nintendo shakes things up with their next console or something.

Smash88

Banned
The fact that not only is a disgusting form of Microtransactions in the game (Melee Boost for 5 minutes lol?) that it's apparently harder to get in-game money, AND on top of all that bullshit? Locked chests behind a companion app.

Ubisoft really wants to dig a deep hole.

They should be ashamed as game developers - they shouldn't even be called game developers.

I hope Unity flops, I really do. I am done with Ubisoft.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Ubisoft PR back at it again...

http://ign.com/articles/2014/11/12/ubisoft-explains-assassins-creed-unitys-in-game-currency

"Assassin's Creed Unity‘s real world in-game currency used to buy in-game upgrades called "Helix Credits” is designed to be a time-saver and doesn't pressure the player to pay, publisher Ubisoft told IGN."

"“The player progression and economy is tailored to NOT push the player to pay. Everything is balanced in a way that the player will never feel forced to buy, but rather to keep playing the game to access better gear and become stronger."

The thing about the treasure chests prompting you to sign up for the companion app is like, 10 levels worse than Destiny's lore cards.

That might have sealed the deal, not buying.

Splinter cell had a few guns locked because of the smart phone app.

This has chests tied to a web game and the cellphone app.

No thanks.

So someone in the Giantbomb thread said it hadn't been mentioned here yet, but the review copies that were sent out actually had all the microtransaction stuff disabled in the game as seen here on today's episode of The Lobby at 1:18:25.

Also from today's giantbomb podcast:
Jeff was talking about it on the podcast and assumed/hoped that stuff was somehow a parody of microtransactions because it wasn't clear if you could actually spend real life money on it in the version they had. I think that says a lot about where we're at with this stuff now. They explicitly said that the microtransaction part of it (which they, again, weren't sure was actually a thing when they recorded the podcast) wasn't in the game.
I'm at a loss for words. This surely has to be a new industry low.

facepalm.gif

The more I read the reviews, the more it sounds like they've managed to shoehorn a Phablet based design on a AAA game on a $60 price tag nonetheless. I can't believe what I've been reading for the past few hours, it's like a tornado of the worst gaming fears accumulated into a single scenario. And if it weren't that bad enough, the PS4 is noted to be the inferior port; the first of its kind!

And what was the excuse of the apologists? "It's a CPU thing'". Oh? OH!!! Whatever happened to "parity"? Now it's ok to have the X1 running better because of the a minuscule advantage provided by the CPU but it's absolutely wrong to use the 50% overhead with PS4's GPU. Unbelievable! Even DF has a hard time believing this revelation. Didn't Ubisoft's Creative lead state they were using every ounce of the console's capabilities?

Good lord, I've never had imagine to see such travesty within a year's lifespan of these consoles' cycle. Now, I'm beginning to think it's going to snowball downhill from here on out.

Banzai

What do you actually get for 100$? An assassin's coat covered in diamonds? (Sorry if it's in the link, can't look at it right now)

driver116

There's nothing wrong with Ubisoft, they are a company and they know they have a captured fanbase to exploit. It's up to their customers to show them where's the line they cannot cross.

Whatever man. I consider there to be a huge difference between the OG Splinter Cell, Rainbow 6, PoP and Ghost recon era Ubisoft and what they are today.

There's nothing wrong with Ubisoft, they are a company and they know they have a captured fanbase to exploit. It's up to their customers to show them where's the line they cannot cross.
Consumers can rarely if ever change company practice on a systematic or meaningful level. They just push the exploitation into other realms (which are not as noticable).

MMaRsu

Banned
I can't believe that this is actually the company that made Warrior Within , Rayman 2 ,Trials, Chaos Theory..... just some of my most favorite games ever.

What the shit happened?

They didnt make Trials.

Those old games are when they were prerty good at what they did. In the last 6/7 years they game have been garbage.

DryvBy

South Park writers must have just played Unity to come up with Freemium. They just went with cell phone games due to the ridiculous embargo for the game. But we really know what they were talking about.

QaaQer

Is the target audience for FIFA and Madden under 18?

I mean I imagine some of them are, but I don't think their hitting their sales numbers on that.

Ultimate Team has been going for over 5 years now and growing stronger so I get the feeling there hasn't been much blowback.

You are right, there has been no blowback, but there should be as the games are rated E.

Statistically, looking at 14 to 65+ year old people, the younger a person is the higher the chance they will have a gambling problem. Being male also drastically increases the chances. Therefore, targeting male youth will increase EA profits.

I'd love to see the age breakdown of those who have spent >$1000 on UT.

BigDug13

South Park writers must have just played Unity to come up with Freemium. They just went with cell phone games due to the ridiculous embargo for the game. But we really know what they were talking about.

Pretty sure they didn't know about Unity's stuff when writing that episode. Also they make no mention of having the microtransactions in full retail priced games. Their example looked like The Simpsons Tap-out to me.

Kal-El814

Pretty sure they didn't know about Unity's stuff when writing that episode. Also they make no mention of having the microtransactions in full retail priced games. Their example looked like The Simpsons Tap-out to me.

The South Park episode is very clearly about freemium gaming.

I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, it doesn't feel great to have the option to buy $100 worth of Unity funny money. On the other hand, I've never been directed to the micro transaction screen in the few hours I've played, and if I hadn't read about it online, I wouldn't have known it was there at this point. I'm not deep into the game, maybe it routes you to it at some point I haven't seen.

On one hand, I get why people bristle about seeing chests locked behind companion app stuff. On the other hand, if you're going to create a companion app, it makes sense to incentivize people to use it.

Man, The Division will be the worst offender in this regard if that's the direction ubisoft is taking.

Shame, that was the game I was looking forward to the most this gen so far.

rBose

Banned
What happened with "Gentle Push" ?

He basically pushes the AI with his collision box, no animation for this whatsoever.

Top Bottom