• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Unity microtransaction currency prices revealed ($9.99 to $99.99)

WGMBY

that's worst than low framerate and glitches

I was planning on buying it despite all the complaints about technical performance. But now I'm not sure if I can stomach picking up something with so much needless money grabbing from the devs.

I know they work hard and they should get paid, but this is too much.

Rflagg

I wasn't going to buy this until it hit bargain bin prices anyways, now I will likely skip forever. I hope this game does really poorly to teach them a lesson.

heh.. Ubisoft leading now in the race for the worst company in 2014.

Yeah. This came as a surprise. I actually liked them around ACIV times. It seems like a long time now.

Well, they released Child of Light and Valiant Hearts this year, both are SUPERB games.

ummm... treasure chests that require you to have an app on your phone to open them, no way? that can't be right.

It takes some set of balls to put a $100 microtransaction in a full priced game.

wait what? thats surely a typo on your part or what the fuck am i reading

i feel old, really old. i don't understand any of this :(

This is a sad day for all gamers. It is absolutely scary what is happening to my hobby right now.

It's a great day! Look at the Dragon Age reviews.

Plus it might be a good thing that the game they added IAP to bombed critically, maybe it will discourage them from trying again.

Pretty much this. I'm afraid of what this means for The Division. I want to play that game, but I'm scared.
RPGish loot games are a Holy Grail of potential for the worst possible IAP crap. I hope the Division can somehow sidestep that stuff.

Will definitely not be pulling the trigger early on games because look at how late things get before we start to get full details on performance and monetization.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Serious question: When will 'micro' transactions die a horrible death?

A lot of people buy them and like f2p games, but usually the key here is that they're f2p games, which are free up front and get significant updates for free as well.

Beyond that, in some paymium games like Mass Effect 3, at least the mode with microtransactions (the multiplayer) got a ton of free dlc due to the microtransaction crates. I think GTA Online operates under the same model, but I haven't played that, so I can't be sure.

In Assassin's Creed, I don't think there is any notable free post launch content, so you're getting the worst of f2p (the microtransactions) without any of the benefits (the free service). It's just charging for cheat codes, often in a system intentionally slowed down to incentivize you to buy currency.

Griss

Man... god DAMN it.

I know the initial emotion for most here and me as well is anger, but when I step back there's this huge disappointment. I mean, I was really, really looking forward to this game. And others. And shit like this... it keeps happening. I told you about those AAA devs, bro. It keeps... on... happening.

2014 will go down as one of the worst years ever for mainstream console gaming. Glad I made the decision to go with Hyrule Warriors + Bayo 2 + GTA V this holiday. I had FarCry and AC:U in that list, but no longer. Now if the first two would just bloody arrive already.

Dunkley

All those articles gotta be jokes, right?

I just don't wanna believe in a world where Ubisoft thinks this, and every other design decision down to where it started with the omission of female assassins, is acceptable.

S8k0fCe.gif

Dear god, there´s also a French Devil doing this evil work.

Alchemy

Its at the point where I am actually upset with people who buy this game now, instead of just not caring. There is no excuse for supporting this kind of bullshit.

Horse armor feels like such an innocent thing by comparison these days.
Its a gateway to this. People dont realize that these companies are constantly seeing what they can get away with. Well to all the people defending all dlc and microtransactions in paid games. Congrats. This is the result of that.

Lakitu

st5fu
The chests that require the companion app is absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe I paid off my pre-order. The only thing that's drawing me in is the French Revolution / Paris setting and assassination missions.

Man, I haven't had an eye on Unity at all as I'm kinda burned out on the Franchise. Still haven't even finished Black Flag.

Looks like they really shat the bed on this one.

ironcreed

Banned
I am still going to play it because I can't get a refund on PSN. But this is the kind of thing that makes me wish that I had not pre-ordered it. I fucking loathe this practice.

x-Lundz-x

Is anything locked away that can't be obtained by simply playing the game (besides the ios chests)? I mean, you earn this currency by completing missions correct? You can obtain all the hack credits you need by playing the game right? If so it's not really that big of a deal in my eyes, just a way for them to try and cash grab on impatient people. Which there are plenty of them.

The game will still sell tons. A very small # of people will spend a ton of money on these microtransactions making it very profitable. Ubisoft will continue to release annual Assassins Creed games of questionable quality and morality. Most of GAF will be outraged.
The majority of GAFers will still buy their games, even the complainers
And the world will keep spinning.

I don't know about that.

I don't see reviewers taking kindly to this again next year. This year might have been okay for them, but I don't see Ubisoft pulling this shit again without any repurcussions.

Bad reviews will have an effect on the franchise.

Pinktaco

I'm not sure where to stand on this. It'll be a problem if they lock away content that should have otherwise been free from the beginning. Paying money to gain an advantage is dumb as hell and I don't feel sorry for anyone who dumb enough to fall for that. Should it be in the game? Nah probably not, but honestly as long as it's not intrusive or actual content that we can't otherwise get I don't see a problem.

I just don't see the same problem as the rest of you. With that said I'm not going to get anymore AC games anyway.

Is anything locked away that can't be obtained by simply playing the game (besides the ios chests)? I mean, you earn this currency by completing missions correct? You can obtain all the hack credits you need by playing the game right? If so it's not really that big of a deal in my eyes, just a way for them to try and cash grab on impatient people. Which there are plenty of them.

It is what it will lead to in future that is the concern

Damerman

The cost model of aaa gaming is unsustainable so they do this. I can't wait for the industry to collapse on itself.

the most ironic thing is that the the 3 teams of 1000 developers work to the detriment of these games.

Imagine the output ubisoft would have if they followed Sony entertainment world wide studios' strategy. Ubisoft Montreal as a developer has no where near the good will naughty dog has, Ubisoft torronto will never have the pedigree that Rockstar north has.

I can't wait for Ubi and EA to fail. they do everything that is wrong in this industry. Other Publishers like 2K and Sony, Shit even Activision, annualization notwithstanding, are just itterating on ideas that could promote healthy growth. Ubi and EA are thinking extreemly short term, damaging their brand and squandering any good will they ever had.

Fuck this.

What about Rogue? It's getting better reviews and if it doesn't have this bullshit as well I think folks should rally that and support Rogue to help tell Ubisoft what's up.

Best thing to do is not buy any AC game, and let Ubi know what you're doing and why. I'm not a big fan of the series but I've enjoyed some of them, but I can safely say with this bullshit I won't be buying any more instalments. I refuse to support their fucking awful policies.

Sir TapTap

Its at the point where I am actually upset with people who buy this game now, instead of just not caring. There is no excuse for supporting this kind of bullshit.
Yeah I wish more people took responsibility for the shit they buy. Supporting this is cancerous to games as a medium

Theres always this response. The "it doesn't affect me so its ok". Except it does and you dont even realize it because games with microtransactions tend to be designed to make the player have to spend more time unlocking stuff to a point where people would rather spend real money. Microtransactions and slow progression towards unlocks go hand in hand.

Daffy Duck

Well micro transactions cease to be so when they are $99.

I can only imagine what kind of shit will be in The Division, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs 2 etc.

They know no shame.

Griss

I am still going to play it because I can't get a refund on PSN. But this is the kind of thing that makes me wish that I had not pre-ordered it. I fucking loathe this practice.

I've been gaming for 30 years and never pre-ordered a thing. The power is yours to protect yourself from this kind of thing happening.

stuminus3

The thing is this stuff is heavily focus tested. If nobody pays out for their microtransactions now, they'll design their future games in a way that makes it more likely they will.

AdanVC

This is horrible... like, Ubisoft is IMO already worse than EA now. So freaking glad I stopped buying Ubisoft games. (The last one I bought was Rayman Legends.)

Top Bottom