• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity PS4 version leaked and footage (Spoilers)

Oppo

I have a hard time taking these criticisms seriously. Resolution, yeah I'm pretty miffed. But 'mediocre looking'? Has everyone's standards really shifted that quickly? The exterior shots of Paris look amazing. And judging from the improvement we saw from AC1 to AC4 on last-gen hardware (in fact the jump from 1 to 2 was amazing), this is just the beginning.

I have to echo godelsmetric here.

Not sure what you guys are looking at but this is pretty impressive, to me.

K' Dash

I know it's not a fair comparaison, but damn when you look at Uncharted 4 and then this... Naughty Dog is so far away.

you mean the game that we know nothing about and had a CGI trailer that we're supposed to believe was not CGI but made with in game assets?

dude pls.

Oppo

I am just not seeing it.

For me it's a few things –

The lighting looks superb (and it had better be, so big!)... especially the cathedral shot, holy cow.

The sheer number of NPCs, which I think has definitely informed the look of the whole thing.

And finally.. I will catch some hell for this... but I do believe they are trying for a softer, more painterly look to their image. That's what I get from it (it's very period-appropriate), and I think it's a good choice artistically, especially when you know you won't have native rez on your side. Better to lean into it. That sounds like the famous 'subtle beauty' Halo comment but, well, there it is.

If I had a little more time I'd dig up some paintings from that period and compare the style.

AC4 had a kind of super-high-contrast sharpness to the palette that was always a bit off putting to me. That phenomenon where the main character can be standing in full blasting daylight and still have parts of his costume or appearance descend all the way down to pure black.

K' Dash

It was not CGI. ND don't do CGI.

yeah, whatever rocks your boat bro.

Making a "in game engine" trailer is not the same as gameplay, even if it uses game assets it will look much better than the game, I'd wait to see UC4 before star making these comparissons.

DOWN

Banned
yeah, whatever rocks your boat bro.

Making a "in game engine" trailer is not the same as gameplay, even if it uses game assets it will look much better than the game, I'd wait to see UC4 before star making these comparissons.
The Uncharted 4 trailer was rendered in real time at 1080p, 60fps on a single PS4.

Top Bottom