• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - Review Thread

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So what are the chances that they'll continually push out updates to improve things? I want to check this game out, but not in it's current form. They push out these games yearly, so I'm wondering what level of support it'll receive.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So Kotaku says the missions are boring

Gameinformer says the missions are engaging

...Not sure who to trust here. I mean, anyone in the US can get this game for $40 bucks today so at least it wont cost $60.
i6dpwGMBT3yOB.PNG

I didn't review the game, but I played an early copy.

These are 8 concerning things I experienced in Assassin's Creed Unity's first 2-3 hours:

http://www.ign.com/blogs/jdavisign/2014/11/11/8-real-things-i-experienced-in-assassins-creed-unity/

(Also this is probably the worst AC since 1).

Edit: I see GAF was faster than me on this one. So... there you go.

The first two things on your list are dealbreakers for me. I will never support a game that does something like that.

AdanVC

I want to give credit here and now to two companies though that have bucked the 2014 trend and deserve a lot of praise.

MICROSOFT and NINTENDO.

Microsoft's stable of games this holiday season - Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive and Master Chief Collection - are clearly designing within the limits of the technology provided for them on the platform and the result is a mostly completely solid 30fps experience (or in MCC case, 60fps). Yes, Sunset is 900p, but it understood what it had to pare back to get it to run acceptably technically and the result is everything else looks wonderful. It's one step back for a dozen step forwards.

Same for Nintendo. Bayonetta 2? Wonderful. Captain Toad? Wonderful. Mario Kart 8? Great. Smash Bros. Wii U? I haven't followed it but I'm sure it'll run great

THANK you companies who continue to ensure we aren't face stuffed with technical abominations.

So much this!! Totally agree. Huge props for them.

Mononoke

Banned
It's worth a try to ask. I think Microsoft might be a bit more lenient on refunds than Sony at least.

I'll give it a shot. I've only put 30 min into it. And would rather not go any further. So we'll see. Really, this is just a wake up call to me, to not pre-order and pre-load games digitally (unless it's a 100% trusted developer). But even then. I'm very weary now after this. I should have known though because it's Ubisoft (so I blame myself for this).

Skyzard

Banned

I tried to open a treasure chest, but was told I needed the Assassin’s Creed companion app to open it, with no additional information or context.

I tried to open another treasure chest, and was told I needed to sign up for Assassin’s Creed Initiates to open it.

When I paused the game, the second option in the pause menu is an eStore that lets you spend real money on time-saving boosts, bonus in-game currency, and so-on.

Fuck that.

Hopefully this is a wake up call to publishers...Nobody wants annual game releases, especially if they sick :) Take your time damnit.

Actually, I enjoy some annual releases. Also, this has been in development longer than a year.
So does the majority of the game buying public apparently.

It's actually sad to see gamers want a game to be bad. I don't even know if I have the mental aptitude required to make the leap into this dark side of gaming.

Disappointed in many gamers here.

I don't think anyone wants any game to be terrible. I think where people's cynicism stems from is this bullshit attitude by publishers to put all their eggs in a basket with these big name IP "AAA" games and still deliver a bug-riddled, substandard, lowest-common-denominator product at the end of the day at the expense of what probably could have been a multitude of lower-budget mid tier games of arguably higher quality and substance that used to exist in this space.

Shin-Ra

I take back everything I said, and was banned for. The game looks so much better in motion.

If the video in the OP is the blurry version of the quality I can expect i'll be completely satisfied. As will many others if this thread is anything to go by. If it's not enough for you, just play it on pc.

Uhm. More than a few have slipped into this thread with what can only be considered glee at this "annual franchise" failing hard, which suggest - outside of playing the game - some gamers WANTED the game to be bad.

I'm not so sure. I think there was a lot of excitement surrounding the initial reveal that has now tanked thanks to Ubisoft PR and the game's apparent lack of polish. But I can't speak for anyone else and I may just be projecting here.

The worst part is, they had Rogue to fill the yearly AC slot... They pushed out Unity early for who knows what ungodly reason... apparently to have it eaten alive by sharks.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Got it on Xbox One digital. I know MS issued refunds for Battlefield 4. Not sure if the game is THAT broken for them to give me one. :(

I really wish I hadn't gotten it though. The FPS is truly terrible. I'm not being just nitpicky, it drops to 20 fps and below. And it totally ruins the immersion of the game. It makes all the graphics pointless. This is especially a game that requires fluid movements (as it's open world, and you are traversing it and moving through crowds quickly). It's a really bad experience.

I bought Shadow or Morodor last week. And that game is infinitely better. It might not have better graphics (technically), but the graphics it does have + the fluid movement of 30 FPS locked (relatively), makes it a much much better experience. It's night and day. That, and the game is just fuckin awesome. I really should have just skipped Unity.

It's shameful that they shipped a game in that state. Should have had another month or so of optimisation.

Looking forward to seeing what Ubi has to say on this issue. I'm sure it will be horseshit.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Man do IGN and Gamespot ever give a score outside the 7-9 range?

Well IGN gave the best game of the year so far, Alien Isolation, a 5.5 or something.

I'm not a cynical person but that review was the last straw as far as their credibility goes.

Nafai1123

Banned
Ubisoft needs to learn that releasing a product with technical bugs and performance issues as bad as this game are unacceptable.

wow, this could end up with a final meta in the 60's. I'd already made the decision to skip this one after parity gate and this makes that decision a lot easier.

Duxxy3

What the fuck happened to ubisoft? They have this disaster releasing today, and we still have to look forward to the crew as well. From nearly all beta impressions, that game is tracking at around a 4/10. At this point I would be careful about pre-ordering far cry 4 as well. Something is amok at ubisoft. Something changed, and not for the better.

Mendax

This shit right here is why I have a Wii U and looking into an Xbox One very soon. I want a PS4 next year for stuff like Bloodborne, but for now I feel like Nintendo and Microsoft are actually delivering when it comes to first party content. Sure these multiplats are problematic on whatever console, but when it comes to great, well-performing exclusives, these guys are doing so, so good.

meh only nintendo is delivering. those microsoft games are not selling well for a reason.

Uhm. More than a few have slipped into this thread with what can only be considered glee at this "annual franchise" failing hard, which suggest - outside of playing the game - some gamers WANTED the game to be bad.

I guess I'd fall into that category. Personally I could care less that ac is an annual franchise. The only reason thats a big deal is because it sets a deadline to push out games, ready or not, in order to maximize sales on unsuspecting consumers who enjoy the franchise. Could AC unity have been a good game? Probably yes but when you're not taking the time to make a proper game because all you want to do is make money its bad for gamers and bad for the industry. As gamers we shouldn't accept this. As far as unity goes I've said it before. The game looked rushed. Thats from someone observing from the outsides opinion as well. I could only imagine that they knew that it wasn't ready themselves but still shipped it out. So yes when a company knowingly puts out a product not ready to take money from fans I want them to fail.

LTWood12

The ways the reviews read, I'm surprised the metacritic isn't lower. It's like since the game hits certain 'functional' bullet-points, it merits at least a 7. Guess I'll have to see for myself when it's on deep discount.

eizarus

Banned
It's almost like those two reviews were written by two entirely different people...
While that's true technically, it's such an overused excuse for when sites fuck up. Preview was ridiculous? Sorry, someone else wrote it. I'm not saying we should t have our own opinions, but passing off horrible stuff through that is going to become the norm soon. I dunno if SSD deserved that score, but ACU doesn't. Most of the reviews (even where th rating is high) have been written as if the game sucks.

What the fuck happened to ubisoft? They have this disaster releasing today, and we still have to look forward to the crew as well. From nearly all beta impressions, that game is tracking at around a 4/10. At this point I would be careful about pre-ordering far cry 4 as well. Something is amok at ubisoft. Something changed, and not for the better.

Greed man. Greed.

I'll give it a shot. I've only put 30 min into it. And would rather not go any further. So we'll see. Really, this is just a wake up call to me, to not pre-order and pre-load games digitally (unless it's a 100% trusted developer). But even then. I'm very weary now after this. I should have known though because it's Ubisoft (so I blame myself for this).

Please give updates on this. If it actually works then I would love to get GTA or DA:I instead.

I feel the missions variety was great. Not sure what the Kotaku guy wanted out of it. It mixes things up just enough but keeps the core stuff there. Most tailing missions are non existent too so.

GAFers, a lower metacritic score than ACIII doesn't mean Unity is worse than ACIII. During the last half of the previous generation, reviewers became very forgiving of AAA games. For the most part, that has not been the case in generation 8.

Still not sure if I should get this during the Target sale. I have Dragon Age: Inquisition paid off. So my choices are LittleBigPlanet 3, AC:Unity, Shadows of Mordor and Far Cry 4. One of those I need to put off.

Vodh

It's shameful that they shipped a game in that state. Should have had another month or so of optimisation.

Looking forward to seeing what Ubi has to say on this issue. I'm sure it will be horseshit.

The only reason to look forward to Ubi PR these days is to enjoy the grindhouse horror of a trainwreck it never fails to be.

Alucrid

Banned

yes i hate this annual franchise despite buying every past main line assassin's creed game before unity

ssjali

I will get it if they fix it and make it playable. The technical issues are the biggest problem with me. I am sure I would enjoy "a lot of the same" again.

In the mean time I will revisit Los Santos.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Top Bottom