• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity -- The graphics "leap" we've all been waiting for.

Arion

I wonder if people can mod out all the large crowds so you can run around the city at a steady frame rate and just drown yourself in the graphics. Its not like the crowds really add much to the gameplay.

Evo X

I've said it a dozen times already. Game is visually astonishing. I've got every gaming platform under the sun and one of the most powerful PCs out there, and overall I don't think there is anything else that manages such visual fidelity and detail with such a large scope as this game maxed out at 1440P.

If I had kept my second 980, I would have loved to downsample from 4K.

lxjyys.jpg

That neon sign is an actual light source... so it's direct lighting -- not indirect.

sfbgts.gif
[/QUOTE]

That GIF shows me nothing other than great environment lighting.

LeBart

Uplay almost made me go crazy these past 3 days but I was finally able to play the game today. 5 straight hours later, I am completely in love with how it looks.

Also, knowing Paris in real life adds a lot. "Hey I should be close to Rue Saint Denis!" *Looks up at sign on a wall that says "Rue Saint Denis". Grins like an idiot.*

Cels

game is certainly a looker.

performance and lack of optimization though...i looked through the pc performance thread and saw that pretty much everyone using a 280X (my card) is having trouble with the game. dunno what good a patch or driver update will do. i thought i would be able to run most things for a year, maybe two years, at 1080/60 medium settings but apparently even 30fps is too much to ask for

my other specs: 4690k @4.5ghz, 8gb ram

luca_29_bg

To be fair The Order isn't even released, from the footage I am very skeptical. Not saying Unity is an amazing game, but until the order is released there is just no point in comparing anything to it...

it's enough for me the footages released, and the order is a linear game and is an exclusive, we'll see but i know already who will win...:p

Cavalier

Banned
I don't want to act like DC doesn't have good graphics, because it does, but you're looking at a low-res gif of a racing game. Low-quality representations of racing games have been capable of looking pretty damned "good" since forever.

Here's a clunky offscreen gif of a 60fps original Xbox game:
ral2lyhg.gif

You're going to have to be more specific, because the process of simply baking irradiance in an easily-interpolatable 3D map and sampling it per-object at runtime is ancient history. Very popular technique all through the 7th gen.

Holy crap that looks good. What is that game?

I wonder if people can mod out all the large crowds so you can run around the city at a steady frame rate and just drown yourself in the graphics. Its not like the crowds really add much to the gameplay.

They could have had the crowd sizes be half the size and no one on earth would have complained about the city being too empty. I seriously don't get why the made the crowd sizes so big other than they thought it'd be impressive looking, which it isn't thanks to the frame rate hit and pop-in. All the crowds do is get in my way when I'm running any way.

Sampling multiple probes on higher granularity (eg. per fragment) - we've always sampled multiple on lower-gran. BF3 is an example of PC doing it per fragment and console doing it per-object IIRC - so yea it's relatively recent to consoles, but not recent in November 2014.

I've never seen this in BF3 or BF4 and I look specifically for it to compare against FC3. Not saying I don't believe you but it's been used very sparingly for some reason.

I get the per pixel(i.e. fragment) evaluation. It would definitely make the solution better -- but I'm sure at a cost.

Baking can be done in a million different ways and light-probes aren't particularly tied to it.

Yes, I know. But in this context, baking refers to having already precomputed the light probes and not having them dynamically generated (ala Alien:Isolation or TTC).

As I've said before (and others) the technique of using them to "ground" dynamic-object lighting has been around for a long time, including most Ubisoft games released in the past 5 years or so (no FC3 was not the first even in Ubi).

That's fine but in those games it's not as pronounced nor has it dramatically helped in capturing a physically based lighting model from what I've seen. As I said, only in FC3 has it been quite noticeable to me.

Ogs

Having played both extensively on PC, I think ACU wins. Both look ridiculous though, especially at resolutions high enough to remove 99% of the aliasing.

15153684343_65e3d4bdea_o.png

15461402407_239ddc5e31_o.jpg

For some reason, on my phone, that first image looked like an old school PC adventure game -

imagemtuee.jpg

Nabbis

Yeah, the game looks very good on ultra settings and native/supersampled resolution. Too bad the popups ruin alot of it. What really makes the game impressive is the detail in assets and world building. There's minimal copy-pasting compared to most open world games... Or it's crafted in a way that you won't notice it, that's also an achievement.

Miles X

Ok, I can't find a thread to ask this.

How is Unity? Do the bugs and glitchs really make this a terrible game?

Only ever played Asassins Creed 2 (and really enjoyed it). I was going to get this but all the chaos around launch put me off ...

Hasney

Ok, I can't find a thread to ask this.

How is Unity? Do the bugs and glitchs really make this a terrible game?

Only ever played Asassins Creed 2 (and really enjoyed it). I was going to get this but all the chaos around launch put me off ...

I personally find it unbearable. It's just way too inconsistent.

Luckily, Ubi games bomb in price quite quick, so keep your eyes peeled for when it's fixed and then you can even jump in at a cut price.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It kills me this isn't 1080p on console. You can really see it. The PC shots at higher resolutions look :O

Miles X

I personally find it unbearable. It's just way too inconsistent.

Luckily, Ubi games bomb in price quite quick, so keep your eyes peeled for when it's fixed and then you can even jump in at a cut price.

Price is irrelvent to me, as long as I find it decent I'll happily pay £40 for it, if I don't then I wouldn't buy it for a quid.

How is it inconsistant?

animus7asze.png

I try to downgrade it to SCUMM quality.

I'd play this. Looks awesome.

Just got to Paris. Freaking insane. I like how they ease you in with Versailles and then unleash that monster on you. Just an incredible level of detail for such a massive open world.

Lulubop

This game is beautiful, that HBAO+ implementation is some real next gen shit. First time in awhile I been in awe of a game. Tessellation hasn't even been implemented yet either!

The game does have some weak textures however, but it's as massive game. Also yea the LoD and pop-in problems.

Game is beautiful. It's a shame that it suffered from the poor optimization. The visuals were completely overshadowed by all the problems. Running the game at 1080p 60fps has me actually enjoying the game at least. Shame it can't be said across the board for everyone. Only draw back in the visuals is the bad draw distance at times. Textures don't load at a certain distance and then sometimes they do.

Here are my screenshots.

Infamous second son already did that OP.

but what good are great graphics when the game is marred by an ungodly amount of bugs and glitches

Vidpixel

It's such a shame that the game suffers from so many technical issues, as the visuals look to be some of the best, if not the best, I've ever seen in a game.

Durante

Game is beautiful. It's a shame that it suffered from the poor optimization. The visuals were completely overshadowed by all the problems. Running the game at 1080p 60fps has me actually enjoying the game at least. Shame it can't be said across the board for everyone. Only draw back in the visuals is the bad draw distance at times. Textures don't load at a certain distance and then sometimes they do.

Here are my screenshots.

"Character models look last gen".

HBAO+ is so damn under appreciated.
It is. Even though people are starting to appreciate it.

tHoMNZ

doesn't matter how good it looks in screenshots when there are animation glitches and all sorts of random shit going on

Nibel

PC version with good setting wipes the floor with probably any other game. Ubisoft has crazy talented artists working under its wings.

Makes me curious to see how Unity will compare with both GTAV and Witcher 3; especially Witcher 3.

vpance

Kind of reminds me of a beefed up Uncharted 3.

PBR and baked GI will give instant wins this gen. Let's see who can take the next big leap after that.

To be honest, this is the kind of game that I would buy for the graphics and production values alone as they're both really impressive.

That is, if Assassin's Creed didn't have garbage gameplay and this game wasn't made and rushed out the door by Ubisoft.

this game looks so good and the atmosphere is just wow...But im still scared.
I will get my copy on Monday...Hope the Updates we got now are helping

Top Bottom