• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity -- The graphics "leap" we've all been waiting for.

scitek

Almost a week out from release, has this been patched on PC to any significant degree yet?

Would an i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz and a 970 be enough to keep 30fps at 1440p?

ufo8mycat

ibvBxld8ew1Am6.jpg

ikkc8fYGj2N6Y.jpg

ijnNxGg9wDVks.jpg

This is the PS4 version...but seeing the PC shots makes me quite sad. That leap is incredibly large. Probably the biggest I've noticed since the consoles released.

From how it looks on my hdtv and seeing the PC screenshots, the difference imo is actually small to me, considering the hardware is much much much more powerful. In a way I am actually surprised. Once the mods come out though, that's when we will start seeing a big difference

I remember some saying that the game looks worse than AC4. ._.

In TotalBiscuits 'totally not a review' video he said the game doesn't look any better than AC4, which is absolutely fucking laughable and about what id except from that shitlord.

I think some people cant see past microtransactions and bugs and just want to shit on every aspect of AC:U

Rip

Almost a week out from release, has this been patched on PC to any significant degree yet?

I would say yes, My 780ti holds 30 at 3440x1440, pretty easy.

I'm not sure if I was going to play Unity in any case, but it looks phenomenal to me. Seeing these screenshots makes me a little sad I didn't spend more to future-proof my PC. My AMD FX-8320 and AMD Radeon R9 270 were dated the moment I purchased them. :[

I built it about a year ago and didn't really intend to use it to play the latest and greatest, but those screenshots look incredible enough to almost make me regret it.

ufo8mycat

I'm not sure if I was going to play Unity in any case, but it looks phenomenal to me. Seeing these screenshots makes me a little sad I didn't spend more to future-proof my PC. My AMD FX-8320 and AMD Radeon R9 270 were dated the moment I purchased them. :[

I built it about a year ago and didn't really intend to use it to play the latest and greatest, but those screenshots look incredible enough to almost make me regret it.

Yes it looks out of this world, but I am honestly getting bored of the game. The same old AC gameplay formula is just getting boring for me. What's keeping me playing is the interesting side missions

elelunicy

In TotalBiscuits 'totally not a review' video he said the game doesn't look any better than AC4, which is absolutely fucking laughable and about what id except from that shitlord.

Can't really fault him though for taking advantage of someone else's misfortune, can you? He's just saying stuff that people want to hear (and by people I mean those who don't actually care about the game's performance, glitches, etc. but just want the game/Ubisoft to fail). I bet he got a ton of viewers from doing that.

theWB27

From how it looks on my hdtv and seeing the PC screenshots, the difference imo is actually small to me, considering the hardware is much much much more powerful. In a way I am actually surprised. Once the mods come out though, that's when we will start seeing a big difference

The IQ is quite better on PC and the lighting looks as though there's whole nother level of depth on top of it. These shots from Sentient show how big a difference there is...can't find a PS4 shot that looks as good as this.

Game is beautiful. It's a shame that it suffered from the poor optimization. The visuals were completely overshadowed by all the problems. Running the game at 1080p 60fps has me actually enjoying the game at least. Shame it can't be said across the board for everyone. Only draw back in the visuals is the bad draw distance at times. Textures don't load at a certain distance and then sometimes they do.

Here are my screenshots.

best looking game of this gen by far. no wonder the performance is so bad, i imagine they'll get it right in a year or two.

i'm definitely gonna have to buy this on PC soon

UrbanRats

Yes, i have a stock 2500k (3.30) and a 970.
I can keep pretty much rock solid 30 fps with everything ultra (even PCSS so far) aside from AA (using FXAA) and VSync (using vsync from inspector) and downsampling to 1080p from 2348x1322.
So lowering shadows from PCSS to just high, for example, should be enough to keep framerate on 30 at all times at 1440p.

As for your first question: two major patches, the D1 one, and the 1.1 one, which for some people just caused more crashes.
In about 4 hours of gameplay, i've experienced just one crash, fortunately.

dex3108

Also have you noticed that sunshades are bending under your feets when you walk on them? Even rolled sunshades are bending. IT is not accurate bending at all but it is nice detail :D

Also Coats are falling over objects naturally when you are on beam or balcony they are not clipping anymore :D

CozMick

Banned
The best implementation of global illumination in real time, produced in a video game.

q4aq5xL.jpg

oSKrX9Q.jpg

Also notice in both images the reflected dashboard in the windscreen is also producing the light.

Mind blowing stuff.

EDIT : Mind blowing compression also :/

How does the game look on Xbox One? I was thinking about picking one up on Black Friday.

Looks amazing to me (except 900p is noticeable at times). Just amazing, though. Best graphics ever.

Digital Foundry said Xbone and PS4 looks identical except for framerate so I went with Xbone. Controller feels better than PS4 did for Shadow of Mordor/Lords of the Fallen, too. First game I'm really going to sink a lot of hours into on the Xbone, and it's only a year old. . . .

kinggroin

Banned
No video game attempting to simulate life like visuals, comes close to this. Not one.

There are some real-time cut scenes that put what we've seen from even The Order to shame. Once you have control, you're still taken back by how well constructed everything is on an architectural, artistic and technical level.

A shame about the perform an and odd bug here and there, cause that stuff is going to completely overshadow whatever positives this games has going for it.

camac002

This is the PS4 version...but seeing the PC shots makes me quite sad. That leap is incredibly large. Probably the biggest I've noticed since the consoles released.

This game on the PS4 actually made me very hopeful for the future of graphics on the system. It's clear that PS4 has enough GPU to run this game at 1080p, It's safe to assume the other known games going forward are not trying to process thousands of AI (Uncharted etc.)

But PC will always be the king of the massive RTS-style games (Supreme Commander, Total War) and after seeing the crowds of npcs, it's like they were trying to get regular AC and Total War in the same game. It's going to be interesting to see in the coming years if they can figure out a way to be efficient enough with CPU on these consoles.

Here's a quick comparison shot I took via share through twitter, so don't take it for scientific analysis. IQ aside, the general look of the game holds well.
iDI0p0gcbHasO.jpg

Hair simulation and facial animation is turned down during gameplay. And yes, Elise's hair looks phenomenal.

T5pZgvh.png

Can't think of any other game with hair that looks that good.

This fucking screenshot. If someone told me this was from some live action show and the main guy was CGI'd in, id believe them. Everything looks near enough real (in a cheap TV show set kind of way) except for the main character. That hair :O

pixlexic

Banned
Yup this game looks so good. Ive already been swooning over the lighting in other threads but also the level of detail in things like windows and mirrors that no other game has had before as a whole. windows have DEPTH to them. not sure if its just a shader or real geometry but it looks great. mirrors reflect the room geometry they are in.
And when you think of the sheer amount of NPCs all having to be lit and at least collide with the environment it is pretty darn impressive.

I would say most things are so great the the little things stand out that have never real stood out before in games. Like not every object reflects in shiny materials. and only the room objects reflect in the mirrors. But its still light years from what had last gen.

elelunicy

Some screenshots I took ealier. Pretty mind-blowing this kind of IQ is actually playable (locked at 30fps).

04tkui3.jpg

021nuql.jpg

0799u9m.jpg

081cuk1.jpg

And here's Black Flag. Unity doesn't look any better than it, right guys?

ac4y6qkb.jpg

Kezen

Banned
This game on the PS4 actually made me very hopeful for the future of graphics on the system. It's clear that PS4 has enough GPU to run this game at 1080p, It's safe to assume the other known games going forward are not trying to process thousands of AI (Uncharted etc.)

But PC will always be the king of the massive RTS-style games (Supreme Commander, Total War) and after seeing the crowds of npcs, it's like they were trying to get regular AC and Total War in the same game. It's going to be interesting to see in the coming years if they can figure out a way to be efficient enough with CPU on these consoles.

Here's a quick comparison shot I took via share through twitter, so don't take it for scientific analysis. IQ aside, the general look of the game holds well.
iDI0p0gcbHasO.jpg

The texturework suffers greatly because of the AA solution used. Even FXAA on PC does not blur textures nearly as much, and it seems to me (but I could be wrong) that the PC has higher quality textures on option.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The game doesn't look different from the PC shots in this thread compared hown it actually looks on consoles
That share function is totally killing the IQ of the game, which is weird as other games look fine when captured, must be filter that's effecting it when captured + compression.

Seanspeed

Banned
The game doesn't look different from the PC shots in this thread compared hown it actually looks on consoles
That share function is totally killing the IQ of the game, which is weird as other games look fine when captured, must be filter that's effecting it when captured + compression.
Lower resolution definitely hurts it. Beyond that, PC's can run better AA methods and have a few other niceties that take it beyond.

This is not a compression issue.

It looks quite different in Areas where the PC graphical effects come into play. in HBAO+s case, that would mean everywhere.

theWB27

iDI0p0gcbHasO.jpg

It didn't sour me on what the consoles can do. Mainly because this is their first next gen effort and it's clear they tried to push some things that could've been toned back...NPCs. The next creeds are going to be awesome as the tech matures.

There were so many times this game looked like a moving painting whenever I entered an interior.

I don't want to be too negative nancy because I haven't actually played the game, but while the screenshots look beautiful, it seems all the impressive screenshots are 'golden hour sun low in the sky shining through dusty city' type of scenes.

Golden hour low hanging sunlight looks good sure, but how about overcast, rain and all the other weather and lightings you actually encounter in Paris?

I know in Los Santos, you enjoy a good sunny golden hour more when all day has been drab overcast.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Lower resolution definitely hurts it. Beyond that, PC's can run better AA methods and have a few other niceties that take it beyond.

This is not a compression issue.
I agree the game will look better in motion but the compression is a problem, my captures look nothing like the actual game.

I don't want to be too negative nancy because I haven't actually played the game, but while the screenshots look beautiful, it seems all the impressive screenshots are 'golden hour sun low in the sky shining through dusty city' type of scenes.

Golden hour low hanging sunlight looks good sure, but how about overcast, rain and all the other weather and lightings you actually encounter in Paris?

I know in Los Santos, you enjoy a good sunny golden hour more when all day has been drab overcast.

Believe me, the game can look amazing in most situations.

Looks so good when you're jumping through rooftops and the fog is going through the streets.

Fenzer

The best implementation of global illumination in real time, produced in a video game.

q4aq5xL.jpg

oSKrX9Q.jpg

Also notice in both images the reflected dashboard in the windscreen is also producing the light.

Mind blowing stuff.

EDIT : Mind blowing compression also :/

Even more great : the light from the cars behind you that reflects on your dashboard.

faridmon

Sorry but the order destroy this game, at least for me, unity is open world, yes, so just for this reason it's not so next gen for me. Open world games can't touch linear games on technical level, and will be in this way for… er.. some time.

What an immature way to voice an opinion.

Anyway, I am not that impressed to be honest. For every great painting-like we get from this game (the interiors are beautifully rendered) the game in motion drags the whole visual fidelity down. Shame, because I really love the art of this game.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Are people that are saying the graphics are amazing playing in PS4 or PC?

From what I saw of videos the graphics seemed a far cry from the initial gameplay demos. Which is why I canceled my preorder.

I was under the impression there was a bunch of gross pop in, glitches, and a piss poor framerate on PS4... Is this not true?

DOWN

Banned
Are people that are saying the graphics are amazing playing in PS4 or PC?

From what I saw of videos the graphics seemed a far cry from the initial gameplay demos. Which is why I canceled my preorder.

I was under the impression there was a bunch of gross pop in, glitches, and a piss poor framerate on PS4... Is this not true?
In some ways, there's a downgrade. But I don't think we quite grasped how good certain uses of the lighting or interiors would look from the teaser, especially since it is open world and the interiors don't have to load in. It's marvelously beautiful on PC, but lighting and art style transfer well to consoles.
Don't buy on consoles until patched. It does indeed perform poorly.

theWB27

More of my PS4 pics....the lighting in this game is strong enough where very few conditions don't look great.

iiEosVrruj3o2.jpg

iMeEMEoHAXqIZ.jpg

iPyY5nSd1YcNH.jpg

Loris146

I have yet to be somewhere I thought looked bad. Bad screenshots, I've seen plenty of. But in game? Always pleasant lighting, art, architecture, and cloth.

Awful lod , aggressive pop in , glitch ... Anyway i agree with you about lighting, facial animations , hair and other things :)

DOWN

Banned
Awful lod , aggressive pop in , glitch ... Anyway i agree with you about lighting, facial animations , hair and other things :)
Some places have bad LOD for sure, and it does have really bad transitions in general between detail levels, but it's easy to see its gorgeous even still.

Braag

I wish Ubisoft would have implemented SMAA instead of FXAA. Not a huge fan of the blur even though it's not bad as in some other games but it's still noticeable.
The game looks gorgeous though.

camac002

The texturework suffers greatly because of the AA solution used. Even FXAA on PC does not blur textures nearly as much, and it seems to me (but I could be wrong) that the PC has higher quality textures on option.

Yes it's quite amazing to see, when I played Ryse on my PC and decided to check out 900p for the 'original experience', and to adjust the temporal AA they use and see the texture clarity appear and disappear. Well, at least there wasn't any shimmering in sight. Trees were rock solid.

I wonder if people had to choose temporal AA or texture clarity, what would the split be? Reading some reactions in the Driveclub threads makes me wonder if they should have gone higher on the blur, less on clarity.

Jhn

Christ, the IQ on the consoles is ridiculously bad. Has anyone figured out why it's like that? It looks even worse than I'd expect from 900p and FXAA.
Then again, maybe it's mostly compression? Are any of the PS4 shots in here lossless, or at least "less lossy"?

Top Bottom