• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins creed Valhalla looks so good now!

Yoboman

Naaaaahhhh. I'm a huge new AC fanboy but this looks decidedly middling, and graphically it looks straight up outdated. To be expected, not really hating them for it, but I just can't get that excited for it & it's clear that the big jump will be the next one instead when they can update their tech.
Thats my issue. It really feels like the engine is starting to show some real struggles to keep up with the top tier. I used to consider Assassins Creed amongst the bench mark for animation, but it really hasn't evolved for a long time

VFXVeteran

Banned
"Looking good" is never an issue when it comes to ubisoft games. But "looking boring" certainly is.

This new AC formula is already tired in my opinion.

Agree. I'm finding it very hard to purchase. AC should have had decaps and dismemberment a long time ago. That would have made the combat a little bit more interesting.

This actually looks amazing now. if it really looks like this at 4k60, then it just might be the best looking next gen game this year. The decapitation looked next gen

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Here is my current thought/desire cycle with AC Games.

Step 1) Game is announced. I think "Oh great, another fucking Assassin's Creed game. Yippee."
Step 2) Gameplay is shown. I think "This looks like another heap of bloated, open-world trash."
Step 3) Release draws near and more trailers are released. I think "Hmm... wait, this doesn't look bad?"
Step 4) I buy the fucking game.

God damnit.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

Is this really what AC has become? Fighting people four meters tall?

Tschumi

You know what.. I'm starting to see the truth.. no matter how good the world looks.. pretty soon we're all just gonna be fast traveling and horse sprinting through a blurry landscape getting bored of derivative dialogue and totally falling to fall for the Viking vibe of years ago.

And like the worst part will be how they shoehorn in an assassin.. Anything into Viking society.

DryvBy

I feel like Assassin's Creed has a cycle like the Sonic Cycle.

When it's first showed off, GaF cries, "looks like shit"

Then always right before launch...

"Well this actually looks decent"

To during launch...

"Picked this up."

You forgot the last step.

"This really isn't fun and the story is all over the place."

This is me every time. I even platinumed Origins which caused me to hate the game.

Laptop1991

As long as it looks as good as Odyssey and Origin's, i'll still play the game, i've completed those 2 so more to play like those will do for me, it looks fine in the videos i've seen so far.

Spaceman292

Banned
I feel like Assassin's Creed has a cycle like the Sonic Cycle.

When it's first showed off, GaF cries, "looks like shit"

Then always right before launch...

"Well this actually looks decent"

To during launch...

"Picked this up."
Two weeks later: "Here's the problem"

DonJimbo

As a huge assassin's creed fan from the first second I can't get used to the new assassin's creed games when I started to play origins I didn't enjoy it and quit playing it the ezio trilogy and unity are still the best in every aspect the new games are boring shitfest with unsymphatic characters and dumb stories

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Preordered - looking forward to this on the Series X 🙂

makaveli60

Just after my criticism of Odyssey yesterday they convinced me that I need this. It's still not a real AC game but it looks good unlike that trash Odyssey. I just have to suffer through that first. I hope this one won't have such retarded writing and performance, and as much SJW agenda bullshit shoehorned in like Odyssey. I'm crying it's so bad and even the gameplay is horrible but I'm looking forward to Valhalla.

Zephir

Ubisoft went from releasing incredibly fake and impossible trailers (watch dogs) to awful early builds (valhalla, prince of persia) despite them being actually better in later (and less hyped) reveals.... They really need to refocus their marketing approach

Some of the animation looks a bit wonky, but the gore looks great. That polar bear fight looked awesome. Crazy really that this is doing 4k/60 on next gen but Yakuza is only 1440p/60 lol. I mean Ubisoft are hardly the masters of game optimization in the first place, not on pc anyway.

do we know if it's 4K with a 60fps target or is it dynamic 4K to maintain the 60fps target?

I dont think we know. They just said 4k/60. If i had to guess it would probably be dynamic 4k.

I reckon it's dynamic 4K for the 60fps mode and perhaps the game is going to also include a fidelity mode that cuts down frame rate to 30fps and hits native 4K with higher quality textures and shadows!

GymWolf

Cringe as fuck but i like the gore.

Graphically it doesn't look that much better than previous showing tbh...

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’ll buy an Assassin’s Creed game again when they go back to being about assassinating people, and not poor rip offs of The Witcher.

So probably never.

This looks about as rote and run of the mill as you can possibly get. Enjoy the disappointment... again.

Sybrix

Was the original issue the graphics?

I thought it was the fact that its the same boring, crap, dull, bleak, uninspiring, bland AC (Ubisoft) gameplay...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Thats my issue. It really feels like the engine is starting to show some real struggles to keep up with the top tier. I used to consider Assassins Creed amongst the bench mark for animation, but it really hasn't evolved for a long time
They are not one of the benchamarks in animation since unity most probably.
Strange because for honor has mostly good animations...

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I never understood the hate for this game. It always looked pretty good.

The initial trailers were all dark and gritty and I don't think showed the game in it's best light (literally). I think we're getting to see different environments and such which is really why it looks better now. At least to me.

Zoro7

Banned
It does look good but I just don’t like the direction the recent games have taken. Won’t be getting this either as it looks just like the previous 2 in terms of mechanics.

Ar¢tos

My AC experience is 2h of Black Flag.
Is this one supposed to have better gameplay?
To which side the combat in this game leans to? God of War or Dark Souls?
(I assume it has parts of both, but to which it leans more)

Sethbacca

My AC experience is 2h of Black Flag.
Is this one supposed to have better gameplay?
To which side the combat in this game leans to? God of War or Dark Souls?
(I assume it has parts of both, but to which it leans more)

I'd say try it. I never liked the old AC games but the new ones I enjoy. You could probably get Odyssey for cheap to see if you like the new style of gameplay rather than buying this full price.

Ar¢tos

I'd say try it. I never liked the old AC games but the new ones I enjoy. You could probably get Odyssey for cheap to see if you like the new style of gameplay rather than buying this full price.
Is Odissey the same gameplay style?
I saw videos, but parts of it looked boring (ship combat)

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Is Odissey the same gameplay style?

As far as I know. Origins was the first game in the series to depart from the old AC style gameplay into the more open world RPG style progression. I only had limited experience with the series before Oddysey like you and the old gameplay was okay but didn't really do anything for me. The only real problem with Oddysey is its fucking huge.

Top Bottom