• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assault Android Cactus |OT| Do Androids Dream of Bullet Hell? (Multiple platforms)

Shaneus

headerw8oc5.jpg

by

Available for $14.99USD now on:

Also available DRM-free via:

Available on PS4:

*30% off for PS+ subscribers until 23rd March

**Scheduled for Q1 2016 on PS-Vita and WiiU**

Official trailer
Release date trailer
Launch trailer
YouTube launch day live stream
So Many Robots Die In The First Five Minutes Of Assault Android Cactus (Kotaku First 5 Minutes)
Giant Bomb Quick Look
(PS4) First 5 Minutes of Assault Android Cactus on PS4 NEW! 8th March 2016

Early Access OT (note: will likely contain old info, but also worth a read)

TQB9HRW.png

Assault Android Cactus is a manic twin stick arena shooter with screens full of enemies, buckets of bullets and high scoring combo chains! Take on the role of Cactus, an enthusiastic police android, who responds to a stranded space freighter only to discover it under siege by its malfunctioning robot workers. Cut off from the outside and in over her head, Cactus and the androids she recruits along the way battle through the crippled Genki Star to reach the brain of the ship and put things right before it's too late.

Utilising a draining battery mechanic in place of lives, Assault Android Cactus challenges you to think fast and keep the bullets flying, blending the gameplay of western styled arena shooters with aspects of Japanese style bullet hell as you charge head first through transforming stages, massive boss battles and an eclectic cast of characters on the way to saving the day.

0AZNNDE.png

t5HrIMv.png

• Nine playable androids, each with unique weapon set, play style and personality
  • Swarms of enemies and giant robot bosses that unleash bullet hell in a 25 stage campaign spread across five areas
  • Dynamic stages that change conditions and rearrange themselves during play
  • Infinity Drive mode to test your skill and endurance
  • Daily Drive challenge mode to pit your skills against the community in a high-score chase that changes every day
  • Up to four player local co-op
  • Stupid, insane amounts of depth to scoring/gameplay
  • PC: Supports mouse/keyboard and joypad* with native support for 360 and Dualshock 4 pads[/B]
  • Unlock game modifying EX options (like FPS mode, seen below), Codex entries, artwork and more for wrecking robots
  • Heart pounding soundtrack that dynamically shifts based on your performance composed by Jeff van Dyck, whose prior works include Skitchin', the first two Need for Speed games and the Total War series
  • Fully unlocked framerate and resolution options. Want to play at 144Hz refresh on your super-exxy LCD? You can!
  • PS4: Flat 60 frames per second!
  • PS4: Supports Shareplay and Remote Play
(Note: Some of the above features are only PC-related :) )

*It should be noted that Assault Android Cactus featured prominently in the Steam Controller introduction trailer released earlier this year. So if it's good enough for Valve themselves to demo... you get the idea!

W8x0P6v.png

Witch Beam (Developer)

Official Website

Facebook page

AAC Twitter

IGN - First 15 Minutes of Assault Android Cactus

Nerd³ The Alpha Detective - Assault Android Cactus (Early Access)

8KYTDni.png

floorchange.gif

FlakyVigilantDuckling.gif

filament.gif

VioletNeatHeron.gif

vespula_wasp.gif

And unlockable FPS mode:
cactus_fps.gif

Reviews:
(as of 8th March 2016)

PC:
IGN: 8.8/10
Assault Android Cactus is an energising shooter experience. Each level, character and enemy brings something fresh to the game, and the end result is chaotic, polished, packed with variety and effortlessly charming.

Twinfinite: 4/5
Simply put, Assault Android Cactus is one of those games that just makes you feel really good once you’ve passed a level. The stages are so packed to the brim with enemies that you’re always a little worried about going down, which makes each victory taste so sweet.

IndieGames.com:
This is the part where I would normally mention the game's flaws, but I can't realy think of any for Assault Android Cactus. The game is stellar. The only people I wouldn't recommend the game to are people who actively hate twin-stick shooters, and even then I would suggest trying the demo to be sure because I'm not normally a huge fan of this genre myself.

Midnight Resistance: 11/10
It’s a twin-stick shooter, and you’ve definitely played one of those before, but it might have been a while since you played one that’s quite this slick. Assault Android Cactus is slicker than Clark ‘Sparky’ Griswold’s sled, mate. The feel of the game’s characters, and the clear and constant feedback you’re given about everything that’s going on is genuinely Minter-esque.

Moargeek: 8.9/10
I’ve never been a huge fan of twin-stick arcade shooters, I tend to get frustrated and/or bored of them quickly. Assault Android Cactus is an exception to this and the gameplay, different modes, and fantastic graphics will be sure to keep me coming back and picking it up to play here and there for some time to come.

Hardcore Gamer: 3.5/5
Assault Android Cactus is a big, bright, blast of twin-stick shooting action, filled with personality and clever design.

Techraptor: 9
Would I recommend? Yes! I have no problem giving Assault Android Cactus a seal of approval, especially if you have someone to play with locally! Maybe in a future patch, Witch Beam could add in online multiplayer—hint hint. Even when going solo, the leaderboards will give competitive gamers something to work towards. Mmmm, delicious S+ rankings.

Indie Haven: 9
Assault Android Cactus is everything I could want in a dual stick arena shooter. Smooth controls, challenging enemies, and gameplay I never want to give up on. Whether you’re a console gamer at heart or a seasoned PC veteran, controller compatibility is open to the individual player.Anyone who is a fan of high tempo chaotic action, this is a must buy.

The Outerhaven: 9.9/10
Witch Beam has created a title that incorporates old school mechanics and game-play, souped it up to 9000 and gave it a new coat of paint. The result is perhaps the single most fun title I've played in a very long time. A game that doesn't take its self too seriously at all and more importantly, a title that anyone, regardless of skill level, can pick up and enjoy.

Pixel Dynamo: 8.5/10
Assault Android Cactus actually reminds me of the best things about the Sega Dreamcast, from its cheerful and energetic aesthetics to its fast-paced arcade gameplay. I found myself wishing I was in an arcade, in fact; a crowd around me cheering, sharing the joy of victory and the pain of defeat like I was the protagonist in some cheesy ‘80s movie.

Gaming Enthusiast:
If you want a challenge, pick up your controller, even you PC diehards, and play this game. You won’t regret it. The roll-call for games I have deemed nearly perfect are like unicorns. And, like the mythical creature, are often told in stories of old. Assault Android Cactus fits that narrative, exploding with color, and bows out more graciously than that horse looking thing with a horn.

Withouth the Sarcasm: 5/5
Assault Android Cactus stands out due to its unbelievable level of polish. The art is really awesome, and the animations are fluid. It’s really easy to get into a flow state and obliterate robots for hours. The levels are all cool and unique, and each of the boss fights feels epic without being overwhelming or hard to process.

Aussie Geek: 8.5/10
I feel like I could write all day about Assault Android Cactus. It’s a polished and well featured game and it’s clear to see that a lot of love went into crafting the game, with a very satisfactory pay-off. It’s a satisfying experience, even with the frustrations of not being able to beat the final boss even after a score of attempts.

Gaming Union: 8/10
It has plenty of characters, able to cater for differing play-styles, it has just the right amount of chaos and the bosses add a whole new dimension to the challenge. Throw in a booming soundtrack and you have a recipe for success.

Geek Nifty: 8.5/10
Assault Android Cactus is pretty great on the whole. It's an old-school game in modern graphics and a lot of fun. If it wasn't for the battery dynamic and the limited amount of sounds weapons and enemies made, this would get tons of gold stars (which you would then brush over with a highlighter to make them silver stars because that's what you did with those gold star stickers in school).

Save Game: 8/10
It’s without hesitation that we recommend Assault Android Cactus. It’s a great indie game, exciting to play, but to really get to the centre of what the game’s about, it’s fun. Simple, straightforward fun – just like there used to be after jamming a cartridge in the slot many lives ago.

Big Red Barrell:
Sweet is the right word to sum up Assault Android Cactus, a brightly coloured mile a minute blast-em up that takes all the best things about kids’ cartoons and bullet hell twitch reflex shooters and makes something absolutely delightful. This is a promising start to Witch Beam and I look forward to whatever they decide next.

Confident Gamers: 8.25/10
This is a great game to play by yourself or alongside a friend or two … or three … whatever it takes to get through the game. We had such an enjoyable experience playing for the hours we spent fighting our way through hordes and swarms making our way through stages.

DarkZero: 9
It’s a shining example of the genre and one of the most easiest recommendations I can give to anyone who enjoys exciting chaotic action, while people looking for the next adrenaline fix with a group of friends or on their own should totally slap down the cash and pick up Assault Android Cactus – it’s the best example of an arcade game for quite some time.

PS4:
Hyper Magazine: 10/10
Assault Android Cactus is one of those games that you can pick up and instantly fall in love with. It’s cute, sharp, funny, wild and a whole lot of fun. I’m a fan of arcade style twin-stick shooters so I knew I would at least enjoy the game. What I didn’t know was just how much Assault Android Cactus would hook me.

NeoGAF Impressions:
It is so good. The controls and fluidity of the characters is perfectly balanced, most characters having a great give/take relationship with their abilities. It is soooo smooth and engaging just to simply play. When you get really in the thick of things, it's like gaming zen; twirling this way, bombing that way, getting a crutch powerup here, killing swarms there. Your mind begins to see 0s and 1s, and you fucking get in the zone.

This is like SEGA developed a secret Dreamcast game and decided to release it in 2015, I swear.
One of the best twin-stick shooters back when I played it in Early Access several months ago so I can only imagine how good it is now that it's finished. Highly recommended.
Assault Android Cactus is INCREDIBLE

Droid Selection seems to actually be a big deal, controls are tight, and it runs superbly, even when downsampling
Game has my ringing endorsement 5/5. I've played 30 hours and hold/held a couple top 5 spots and still #1 on one of the co-ops. It's tight, you are in control of everything even if it seems you aren't, and it just plays so damn well.
OT title is a stroke of genius
The feeling is so good when you get your combo up. The controls are so damn spot on and nice and tight/responsive.. I really like the shield mechanic as it leads to more aggressive playstyle for me.

I have defeated the fourth boss and done some of the wave mode, I mainly have been using Cactus.. but I like how the dialogue changes depending on which android you use. Top notch presentation and the soundtrack is great
A really well done twin stick shooter, surprisingly fun to play and kept me hooked for a couple of hours right until the end. That final boss was a bit of a challenge but once you get used to it it's not that tough (beaten it with Cactus).

Really like some of the interesting weapon types, like that Helo thing, completely changes the way it's played yet it's still balanced well enough. Overall it's a very neat package, very recommended.

Anyway, pretty great game, I've also tried the endless mode and got to Layer 16, pretty addictive stuff. :)
Played this yesterday for a bit over an hour, and I'm really impressed by the level of polish. It plays extremely well and looks great. What surprised me most is that the framerate seems rock solid despite using Unity. I guess the small self-contained levels help with that.
This game is so great. I've never been fan of 'bullet hell' but the boss fights where you have to dodge a million things while keeping your aim on point are really getting me into it.

CTNngJN.gif

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Fun game, own it on steam. Haven't played it in a while since my GPU fried. Will double dip on PS4 whenever it hits.

Momentary

Banned
Played this a long time ago and decided that I needed to let this game finish development. It was amazing back then. I can't wait to see it now.

Paz

YAY 3 YEARS AND ITS FINALLY OUT!

Hope everyone digs it :) Please let me know what you think, it feels so strange to be at this point after so long.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I remember some people complaining about a core mechanic change, something to do with a battery? Did that work out for the best in the end?

Psyren

Well i pretty much bought this game to replace the void of finally quitting Nation Red, but I really gotta make some time to sit down and play through it proper...

Just played the demo, checked the number of stages and immediately bought. Game has a great feel and is fun as hell. Love the style and humor too.

Peterthumpa

Is there any kind of competitive multiplayer, or just co-op? Would be fun to have a mode like this.

Regardless, looks absolutely amazing. Finally a game that can rival Rocket League and Towerfall as my local co-op monday night with friends.

Nice that this is out. I had forgotten about it. And there's an honest to god demo? It seems like no one does demos on consoles any more.

SDF-1

Banned
I remember some people complaining about a core mechanic change, something to do with a battery? Did that work out for the best in the end?

I remember a few threads on steam complaining about the battery mechanic. Gist is that the game is really geared around being in the guts of the battle to maximise yr combos and powerups and a few folk complained because they wanted to play more hang back and pop guys off style.

Battery mechanic is fine, game is excellent, anyone who sooked really just needed to grow a pair.

Paz

Any reviews?

Really hope the Wii U port is good and not half-assed.

Might be good for a mod to change the title, while Cactus is for multiple platforms it's releasing for PC right now, with consoles coming at the start of 2016.

Couple reviews I've seen pop up (hopefully more soon):

Twinfinite 4/5 http://www.twinfinite.net/2015/09/23/assault-android-cactus-review/
IndieGames.com high praise http://indiegames.com/2015/09/assault_android_cactus_review.html
Midnight Resistance 11/10 http://midnightresistance.co.uk/reviews/assault-android-cactus

Might be good for a mod to change the title, while Cactus is for multiple platforms it's releasing for PC right now, with consoles coming at the start of 2016.

No, that was clear enough. My post was kind of ambiguous. I meant to ask for reviews of the Steam version, and also to express hope that the Wii U version will be good when it finally comes out.

luffeN

This game is awesome to play. Don't miss it people. I played it some years ago when it was first released on Steam as EA. Great controls and impressive levels. Going to try this soon on the IPS panel.

Amir0x

Banned
This game is truly phenomenal in every way. Been playing it for months on PC.

Best I can describe is like a missing gem from the hayday of Dreamcast.

Also haha wow @ unlockable FPS mode

Amir0x

Banned
Been keeping an eye on this for what seemed like forever.
Getting hyped.

It is so good. The controls and fluidity of the characters is perfectly balanced, most characters having a great give/take relationship with their abilities. It is soooo smooth and engaging just to simply play. When you get really in the thick of things, it's like gaming zen; twirling this way, bombing that way, getting a crutch powerup here, killing swarms there. Your mind begins to see 0s and 1s, and you fucking get in the zone.

This is like SEGA developed a secret Dreamcast game and decided to release it in 2015, I swear.

Paz

Man, having a launch sale for this is such a steal. Can't wait to get home and play.

We were keen to give people a reason to jump in now that everything is finished, hopefully people find $12 to be a pretty good price for what we've slaved over for so long :)

The End

Bought this in Early Access... years ago.

Extremely happy how it turned out.

Will absolutely double dip when this comes out for PS4

satire77

I didn`t know this game was coming today, what a nice surprise.

I was thinking on buying it on ps4, but seeing that it is coming in 2016 there, i may just get it on steam for now.

Can the game be played with mouse & keyboard or does it require a gamepad?

Paz

while your here, Paz, any plans for online support now that full release is done?

Sadly it was just not something we could really do, we're too small and the complexities of online in a game like this are too large so we focused on making the best single player experience we could and adapting that for local co-op.

I didn`t know this game was coming today, what a nice surprise.

I was thinking on buying it on ps4, but seeing that it is coming in 2016 there, i may just get it on steam for now.

Can the game be played with mouse & keyboard or does it require a gamepad?

100% M&KB compliant, we like to think both schemes are equal though some people switch back and forth based on which character they play :)

One of the best twin-stick shooters back when I played it in Early Access several months ago so I can only imagine how good it is now that it's finished. Highly recommended.

We were keen to give people a reason to jump in now that everything is finished, hopefully people find $12 to be a pretty good price for what we've slaved over for so long :)

Any hints on console release timeline? This game looks like a great couch co op game.

iosefe

Sadly it was just not something we could really do, we're too small and the complexities of online in a game like this are too large so we focused on making the best single player experience we could and adapting that for local co-op.

unfortunate, but understandable. with any luck you'll get bigger for the next game, and it will be awesome

Numb

When gifs of a game leave you satisfied then you know you got a hot one on your hands.

Paz

Any hints on console release timeline? This game looks like a great couch co op game.

As soon as we can get them ready really, we were very close to hitting PS4 this year but a few things ended up making that a bad idea and not quite possible. Now we're evaluating how to handle launching in 2016, try to do everything at once or try to get one out asap etc (We're just three people, and only one of us knows how to program so it's not easy to do a lot of things simultaneously).

In lieu of online, anyone tried Nvidia gamestream coop in the new GFE beta using this? It's such a fast paced game I can see the video streaming chopping up but I'd like to hear how it worked.

Gyossaits

Banned

I am a finicky cheapass. This and Isaac: Rebirth are the two games in recent memory that I paid over ten dollars for and they were well worth it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Awesome! Glad to see this finally out of early access, I'm going to grab it as soon as I get home tonight. From the moment I saw a super early gif in a thread here I've known I wanted to buy it, but early access almost always ruins my enjoyment of games so I stayed away until now.

Elandyll

Banned
This is the kind of game I'd rather play on my TV co-op, so it'll have to wait for the PS4 version in 2016. Was hoping for this year... bummer.

Nzyme32

Sweet! Will pick this up when the Steam Controller arrives in mid October with the wonderfully forced Steam Wallet funds thanks to GAME UK.

Leatherface

YAY 3 YEARS AND ITS FINALLY OUT!

Hope everyone digs it :) Please let me know what you think, it feels so strange to be at this point after so long.

You all made an epic game. I loooooooooooooove arcade shooters and this one is among the best! I loved the demo to death and can't wait to dig into this. All the praise and success gained from this labor of love is well deserved. Thank you!!

Top Bottom