• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assault Android Cactus PSVita/PS4/PC.

McSpidey

Another GIF.
starch_missile.gif

Here's a good source of character art in case avatar-gaf wants to go to town.
http://www.assaultandroidcactus.com/2013/05/meet-androids.html

Looks terrific, but the OCD in me is annoyed that tiles disappear before they fall completely out of view. Only a few more frames would suffice, make it happen, Witch Beam!
Don't worry, the tiles don't disapear too early in the game. It's OCD-GAF friendly ;)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2-ZnF9ZbMdg/UZIeM2PqEFI/AAAAAAAAAIE/jSAV0evsG1g/s1600/blocks.gif

Sycle

Neo Member
I assume ps4 version. is the game 60 fps?

The footage is from the PC build, but it's 60fps or bust!

Looks terrific, but the OCD in me is annoyed that tiles disappear before they fall completely out of view. Only a few more frames would suffice, make it happen, Witch Beam!

That kind of thing bugs me too! I think it's just getting caught by a missing frame in that gif, they animate all the way down to their resting position, popping frames is cheating! If is glitching, I'll fix it!

Paz

Going to play this at Eurogamer Expo on Sept 28th.

Where is Paz? Give us a release date! XD

We're targeting November for PC, and Q1 for PS4/Vita simultaneous :) We have PC pre-orders & alpha access coming VERY soon and I've already offered Opiate to give away some copies as part of NeoGAF Bingo.

We're a three man team, I do design and fellow gaf member Sycle is the sole artist/programmer/animator with old school composer Jeff Van Dyck (Need for Speed 1, Skitchin, Total War) doing all the music & sound.

We're an open book so if anyone has any questions or comments feel free to ask em! If a mod wants to update the title or something to make that clear it'd be cool :D

I've been active in the indie dev thread about this project for over 6 months now, and we still have quite a few levels/characters left to design so if you want to throw some suggestions out we're all ears!

casmith07

We're targeting November for PC, and Q1 for PS4/Vita simultaneous :) We have PC pre-orders & alpha access coming VERY soon and I've already offered Opiate to give away some copies as part of NeoGAF Bingo.

We're a three man team, I do design and fellow gaf member Sycle is the sole artist/programmer/animator with old school composer Jeff Van Dyck (Need for Speed 1, Skitchin, Total War) doing all the music & sound.

We're an open book so if anyone has any questions or comments feel free to ask em! If a mod wants to update the title or something to make that clear it'd be cool :D

I've been active in the indie dev thread about this project for over 6 months now, and we still have quite a few levels/characters left to design so if you want to throw some suggestions out we're all ears!

Shit I didn't know there was an actual dev here. That fucking rocks.

Is this primarily a co-operative top down arena shooter? I particularly don't care for adversarial multiplayer (I understand I'm only one gamer) but it's nice to see more of an emphasis on co-op gameplay seemingly kicking off next gen among Indie and big-name devs and publishers.

Just a question, and forgive me if it's already answered -- are avatars customizable?

Played this at PAX Australia and it was fucking awesome!

Have a feeling I will enjoy it even more than Dead Nation once it comes out. Played with a mate and co-op was a ton of fun. Some moments you are working together to keep back the horde and assist your buddy, the next go on the offensive to try and outscore him!

Will grab on PC and PlayStation to cover all the bases :)

Sycle

Neo Member

Is this primarily a co-operative top down arena shooter? I particularly don't care for adversarial multiplayer (I understand I'm only one gamer) but it's nice to see more of an emphasis on co-op gameplay seemingly kicking off next gen among Indie and big-name devs and publishers.

Just a question, and forgive me if it's already answered -- are avatars customizable?

Two devs :) It's entirely co-op. Unless you want a higher score than your friend at the end of the level, then it's only mostly co-op.

Avatars aren't customisable per se, although we had some ideas for unlocks that would affect avatars.

Alpha access sounds great. This could be a launch PS4 game? Cool!

casmith07

Two devs :) It's entirely co-op. Unless you want a higher score than your friend at the end of the level, then it's only mostly co-op.

Avatars aren't customisable per se, although we had some ideas for unlocks that would affect avatars.

I see, I see. Well, here's to hoping you all have already offered some "darker" skin tones to choose from...I know it might seem kind of silly to some people but it would be nice to be able to design my guy to look like me.

Otherwise...this looks pretty badass. And might I also add: holy shit two devs here for this game!? This kind of access is awesome.

I'm pretty excited to buy and play it just from this thread alone. Are there any plans for a demo release to Vita or PS4?

EDIT: saw the other post about Alpha access. Awesome!!

EDIT EDIT: I also forgot...I am SUPER HYPE that it's co-op centric. Not enough co-op love out there as I said above!

Paz

We don't have an adversarial mode in the game so yeah it's more co-op focussed if you're in multiplayer, we tried for a few weeks to get versus modes to work but the gameplay just wasn't suited to it. Instead we've opted for a sort of competitive co-op system where the player in the team with the highest score contribution will have a crown above their head, and if another player breaks ahead of that score the crown will fly over to their head and the character will call out a light hearted jab like "Don't make it easy for me!". While the overall team score is used for determining your rank & total level store we also do a breakdown of each players kills/chains/deaths/score so you can really see who was doing what in the match :)

Avatars are currently not customisable, we're treating them more like characters in a Cave style arcade shooter where they have a unique set of weapons that gives them visual and gameplay identity, we do want to support alternate skins as unlockables though to give you some nice visual variety.

Crossbuy on Vita/PS4 is going to be lovely. Lately, I've been only taking advantage of Vita versions when I also have PS3 available, but with the new hardware on PS4 I'll definitely be spending lots of time on the console build of these games.

Paz

I see four players on screen, will it be online?

It looks great!

Thanks mate! Unfortunately online play is out of our reach at the moment, with just 3 devs we've decided to focus on what is achievable first, but we are definitely going to look in to the logistics of it post-launch. No promises sorry!

Alpha access sounds great. This could be a launch PS4 game? Cool!

Sadly we won't make it for launch as we're so busy finishing the game for PC and we can really only do one at a time, but as soon as that is released we will be dedicated to PS4 & Vita development and aiming for an early 2014 release.

I see, I see. Well, here's to hoping you all have already offered some "darker" skin tones to choose from...I know it might seem kind of silly to some people but it would be nice to be able to design my guy to look like me.

Otherwise...this looks pretty badass. And might I also add: holy shit two devs here for this game!? This kind of access is awesome.

I'm pretty excited to buy and play it just from this thread alone. Are there any plans for a demo release to Vita or PS4?

EDIT: saw the other post about Alpha access. Awesome!!

EDIT EDIT: I also forgot...I am SUPER HYPE that it's co-op centric. Not enough co-op love out there as I said above!

Glad you're hyped :D Yeah we'll be doing Demo/Alpha stuff on PC very soon, and I'm sure we will do a demo for the PS4/Vita version when it's closer to release. I know a lot of people are down on demo's at the moment but I think if you have a quality game you shouldn't be afraid to let people try before they buy.

ReaperXL7

We don't have an adversarial mode in the game so yeah it's more co-op focussed if you're in multiplayer, we tried for a few weeks to get versus modes to work but the gameplay just wasn't suited to it. Instead we've opted for a sort of competitive co-op system where the player in the team with the highest score contribution will have a crown above their head, and if another player breaks ahead of that score the crown will fly over to their head and the character will call out a light hearted jab like "Don't make it easy for me!". While the overall team score is used for determining your rank & total level store we also do a breakdown of each players kills/chains/deaths/score so you can really see who was doing what in the match :)

Avatars are currently not customisable, we're treating them more like characters in a Cave style arcade shooter where they have a unique set of weapons that gives them visual and gameplay identity, we do want to support alternate skins as unlockables though to give you some nice visual variety.

Just want to say the game looks really awesome, I have had a big craving.for some too down shooter action on Vita lately, and it looks like this is going to deliever in spades. I cant wait to see more of it.

I dont know if you can actually talk about it at all, but I was wondering your thoughts on dealing with Sony? Its one thing to read about those comments on random site interviews, its another to get impressions straight from a gaffer. Did Shahid approach you guys?

Paz

Just want to say the game looks really awesome, I have had a big craving.for some too down shooter action on Vita lately, and it looks like this is going to deliever in spades. I cant wait to see more of it.

I dont know if you can actually talk about it at all, but I was wondering your thoughts on dealing with Sony? Its one thing to read about those comments on random site interviews, its another to get impressions straight from a gaffer. Did Shahid approach you guys?

Actually we approached SCEA to see what was involved and he put us in touch with the SCEE team as they can better serve our region (Australia), we have an awesome account manager named Guy Richards who has been super helpful going through everything step by step with us to make it all super easy.

Shahid contacted us a short time after we had started the process (well before we were licensed devs) and made time in his personal time to skype with me and talk about the game, he and his team played and loved it and wanted to help us however they could! I was kind of taken aback when he was like "Oh lets just send you guys some dev hardware, I'll get Lorenzo to do that" when we weren't even real PlayStation developers yet, and then they offered to feature footage of us at Gamescom and include is in their PR/Blog even though we had no exclusive arrangements!

They are the real deal, passionate gamers who want great games on PlayStation, and we couldn't be happier to be working with them

ReaperXL7

Actually we approached SCEA to see what was involved and he put us in touch with the SCEE team as they can better serve our region (Australia), we have an awesome account manager named Guy Richards who has been super helpful going through everything step by step with us to make it all super easy.

Shahid contacted us a short time after we had started the process (well before we were licensed devs) and made time in his personal time to skype with me and talk about the game, he and his team played and loved it and wanted to help us however they could! I was kind of taken aback when he was like "Oh lets just send you guys some dev hardware, I'll get Lorenzo to do that" when we weren't even real PlayStation developers yet, and then they offered to feature footage of us at Gamescom and include is in their PR/Blog even though we had no exclusive arrangements!

They are the real deal, passionate gamers who want great games on PlayStation, and we couldn't be happier to be working with them

These kinds of stories are awesome, glad to hear they are treating you guys well. It can be hard sometimes not to be jaded about this stuff, but the story just continues to keeps its consistancy.

If you can make the characters more stylized (except for glasses girl, they look like Jet Force Gemini characters) and it'll be perfect

CREMSteve

The footage is from the PC build, but it's 60fps or bust!

That kind of thing bugs me too! I think it's just getting caught by a missing frame in that gif, they animate all the way down to their resting position, popping frames is cheating! If is glitching, I'll fix it!

+1 copies sold.

That is just awesome to hear first-hand

Responsibility for the character designs is all on me! I'm sorry to hear you're not keen for them, although If it's any consolation the big heads make it easier to keep track of your character during gameplay.

I don't actually hate 'em, they're just saturday morning kids is all and I'm old :p I'm all about this game... and yeah I imagine it does. I was just trying to be funny, sorry.

wilflare

Responsibility for the character designs is all on me! I'm sorry to hear you're not keen for them, although If it's any consolation the big heads make it easier to keep track of your character during gameplay.

I would love it if we could personalize/customize our own character

and this is why Sony should make Sackboy their Mii/Avatar-equivalent already...

Using Sackboy in these levels :O

plufim

HATS CONFIRMED

Top Bottom