• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asterix creator Albert Uderzo passed away at the age of 92. No, it wasn't the Coronavirus.

Nickolaidas

His comics (masterfully supplemented by Goscnini's writing) were some of my favorites when I was a teen. So many social messages and satire hidden in them, while at the same time offering me ample laughs and entertainment. He will be missed. Haven't read his work for many years, but I always remembered it now and then, and the laughs that came with them.

RIP, Albert. And thanks.

Dazrael

He passed just as the sky was falling on our heads.

I grew up with the Asterix books and I still make a point of buying each new album as they come out. Didier Conrad makes a fine approximation of Uderzo’s style but nothing beats the original.

RIP Albert, I can just imagine you and René laughing uncontrollably on a cloud somewhere.

SirTerry-T

I've said it to comic loving friends before but it was the Asterix books that got me reading as a kid far more than any "learn to read" books.
Fantastic artist, loved his style.

ET3fSWOXgAEKEdX

Last edited:

Naibel

Very nice of OP to make a tribute thread here on Gaf.

Like every French kid over the last 60 years, I grew up with his comics. Easily my favorite "bande desinnée" alongside Spirou and Gaston Lagaffe.

Loved his drawing style, loved every album he did with Goscinny, which were hilarious and filled with clever commentary about French's society of the time. We were all rooting for the proud (yet pretty stupid) Gaulois against the evil, arrogant (yet pretty stupid) Romans.

"Asterix" fell off a cliff quality-wise after Goscinny's passing. Uderzo retained his artstyle, yes, but he wasn't a great writer. His later albums were pretty bad sadly. I'm glad he eventually decided that Asterix would survive him so that we wouldn't leave his characters on such a sour note. The new albums with the new duo are better even though Goscinny-era is yet unmatched.

Godspeed Albert ! Now you can team up with Franquin, Hergé, Morris and Goscinny to make the ultimate BD in heaven :messenger_halo:

RIP Uderzo, I read some of his work with Goscinny as a child and watched the animation films as well. His characters are iconic. Hopefully someone comes along and carries the spirit and French comics.

Ballthyrm

I think we can all have a great party in his honor once all this blow over.

asterix144.jpg

PS: For people who don't know, Asterix sold around 370 Million copies worldwide, so about as much as Spiderman !

Last edited:
The man lived a long life and brought joy to millions around the world with his talent and imagination, myself included. Would that we could all be so blessed.

May he rest in peace.

I had a whole bunch of the series, and it was my main form of entertainment until I discovered video games, haha.

Au revoir monsieur Albert Uderzo!

nbcjr

Probably the last of the legends of the "bande dessinée franco-belge". I consider his generation the Golden Age of European comics (Goscinny, Franquin, Morris, Peyo,Gotlib, Greg, ...)

Rest in peace, by Toutatis.
I can't believe you didn't mention the greatest, Hergé.

Top Bottom