• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain is getting review bombed on metacritic due to it's Switch exclusivity

But you can play it on plane, because you might never land.

but wait also pay 60 dollars for remasters and games that are years old

"nintendo games hold their value" i dont give a shit. i dont sell my games. if I had to spend 50-60 on every game I bought I would have spent like 10K on games in the past 5-6 years.

there are countless games better than 1-2 switch, splatoon and a few others they have that I could get for like 5-10 bucks. and they are even newer.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

"nintendo games hold their value" i dont give a shit. i dont sell my games. if I had to spend 50-60 on every game I bought I would have spent like 10K on games in the past 5-6 years.

there are countless games better than 1-2 switch, splatoon and a few others they have that I could get for like 5-10 bucks. and they are even newer.

Anything else you want to get off your chest?

Do you also hate the colour red and clicking noises?

84389fba7ce6933461c137404c8292b1.jpg

Show us on this doll where Nintendo touched you.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Romulus

I think switch is pretty cool just not for everyone.

Vawn

Banned
ah yes. nothing like having to buy a terrible piece of hardware again from nintendo thats made for kids to play yet an another japanese games because thats a thing.

just kidding. am not gonna buy any piece of shit device nintendo makes until they put effort into their hardware

Oh good to know PlayStation isn't the only hardware you don't own and shit on. I'm sorry you only got an Xbox for Christmas years ago, but you really don't need to throw tantrums about it online.

oagboghi2

I think switch is pretty cool just not for everyone.
Ok so why not keep that yourself? Why beg for ports to a different console on metacritic

Oh good to know PlayStation isn't the only hardware you don't own and shit on. I'm sorry you only got an Xbox for Christmas years ago, but you really don't need to throw tantrums about it online.
It's pathetic but predictable.

Does he think he is changing anyone's mind?

Vawn

Banned
How'd that happen though? Do they just delete all the negative scores that have no commentary?

Basically, I guess. Probably the 10s without comments too, though those are much less common.

They need to just delete every user review period since there is no way to determine who actually played the game.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Maybe they should ask why Sony never bankrolled Platinum games into making something for the PS4. Like rebooting a dead IP.

Probably the same reason why SEGA wouldn't fund them for Bayonetta 2 or 3 (or anything else since) or why MS cancelled Scalebound or why they got removed from Granfantasy. Sounds to me like they have a history of issues.

...Star Fox Zero. That alone might give a publisher pause on giving them money lol

Last edited:

manfestival

I love how much people freaked out about such a non issue in here then the user reviews go to a score they are happier with and the rage subsides. *ROLL EYES*

Last edited:
As in, other publishers.....
You mean like Square, who had one of there most successful recent games made by Platinum a year after SFZ?

Also to add more to the previous response.

Star Fox Zero was directed by a Nintendo guy, not Platinum Games, since people always seem confused on it.

One of the first things I wanted to confirm was how exactly Platinum and Nintendo ended up splitting the workload on Star Fox Zero. Hashimoto explained, "In terms of what PlatinumGames was in charge of, overall, Mr. Hayashi was involved with planning overall for the game, and then PlatinumGames was in charge of basically all of the visual elements of the game. Character models, animations, background, basically anything visual on the game was something handled by Platinum."

Star Fox Zero began life as a prototype at Nintendo; but when it came to developing a full game, the Star Fox turned to Platinum due to their action game roots. Hayashi added, "We were actually all in the same room, we had people from PlatinumGames working with, in the same room, designers and other folks from there, so it was very tight-knit."

Also the Sega and Platinum thing was based on Bayonetta and Vanquish not meeting insanely high sales expectations. Sega expected DMC4 level sells from the game, just because it was the same type of game, and as of March 2010 it had only sold 1.3 million (keep in mind it only released outside of Japan in February 2010). Funny enough, this was actually better than DMC3 though.

As for Vanquish it sold 820 thousand.

EDMIX

You mean like Square, who had

You mean like SEGA who doesn't fund or publish their titles anymore? You mean like Microsoft who had to cancel Scalebound because of this team? You mean like Cygames who removed them from Granblue Fantasy? Like that?

So the team has its own issues, lets be honest about them bud. Yes, some publishers still work with them, but it would be shortsighted to then ignore the ones that no longer do.

kevin_trinh

You mean like Square, who had one of there most successful recent games made by Platinum a year after SFZ?

Also to add more to the previous response.

Star Fox Zero was directed by a Nintendo guy, not Platinum Games, since people always seem confused on it.

Also the Sega and Platinum thing was based on Bayonetta and Vanquish not meeting insanely high sales expectations. Sega expected DMC4 level sells from the game, just because it was the same type of game, and as of March 2010 it had only sold 1.3 million (keep in mind it only released outside of Japan in February 2010). Funny enough, this was actually better than DMC3 though.

As for Vanquish it sold 820 thousand.
well, for Nier:A case too bad the main director is SE's person. Platinum was hired to make the combat only, and that it. There are no Platinum game can have the same level of story as Nier:A.

DMC 3 sold 2m only on PS2, i dont know how Bayo 1 sell better on both PS3 and X360?

bitbydeath

That’s too many down votes to be random people pegging it for not being on their system.

Looks much more like a REEEEEEE attack.

EDMIX

Platinum was hired to make the combat only, and that it.

Agreed. Its why I think it turned out so great. The team didn't have 100% control over the game and maybe only being part of it and not doing the whole thing 100% helps the team focus and end up with better results.

Daily reminder people do this when they are bored and have ED

LOL!!! Its why those scores can never be taken seriously. Those are some of the best turned based games in gaming imho.

Probably the same reason why SEGA wouldn't fund them for Bayonetta 2 or 3 (or anything else since) or why MS cancelled Scalebound or why they got removed from Granfantasy. Sounds to me like they have a history of issues.

...Star Fox Zero. That alone might give a publisher pause on giving them money lol

SEGA doesn't fund anything besides Sanic and (luckily) Yakuza games. MS cancelled Scalebound because they fucked it up by forcing multiplayer in a game that never looked like it was meant to have it. Don't know what happened with the other game, but what I DO know is that Star Fox Zero really wasn't that atrocious failure you're making it out to be. It's average. It's not a broken piece of shit like so many games these days.

Platinum also has an absolutely bonkers history of developing great titles which is IMO more important here. Looks like Astral Chain is another great one you could add to that list. But sure enough, shitpost away about how bad they are.

well, for Nier:A case too bad the main director is SE's person. Platinum was hired to make the combat only, and that it. There are no Platinum game can have the same level of story as Nier:A.

DMC 3 sold 2m only on PS2, i dont know how Bayo 1 sell better on both PS3 and X360?
JKEDu5g.png

Last edited:

Romulus

Ok so why not keep that yourself? Why beg for ports to a different console on metacritic

Huh? What are you talking about? I don't even have a metacritic account. And even if I did that wouldn't do a damn thing.
"Oh shit, user reviews are low, let's do a PS4 port!"

Last edited:

EDMIX

Don't know what happened with the other game

Yea...see. You can find any excuse from some here and there, but not all. Where there is smoke, there is fire. I was the same way, I was very quick to just dismiss those situations. Oh Sega doesn't want to fund stuff like that cause like money issues....then they bought Relic. Oh well...maybe they just want to move away from Japanese companies and stuff....then they bought Atlus... then it became pretty clear that maybe SEGA didn't have money issues, maybe SEGA had Platinum issues, but hey they are one of my favorite teams so are fine. Then Star Fox Zero is utter trash

Ok but Nintendo probably made it worst though.

Then the Transformers games. Ok but..... Activision probably made it worst too doe right?

Then MS cancels Scalebound. At this point, maybe....just maybe where there is smoke, there is fire. This is where I had to come to terms that this team is very hit or miss and they are like this because of crap like working on 7 games at once. I like the team, but come on man, stop with the excuses. Even me being a fan of the team had to just call it quits and understand no one is perfect. The team needs to relax and stop taking on some many damn projects.

At this point, asking any Platinum games fan if the team has any issues be like "ok Nintendo's fault with Star Fox Zero, SEGA hates games its why Bayonetta 2 is with Nintendo...but its good cause Nintendo let it be good" (What about Star Fox Zero then) "OK thats......thats different, then MS is a liar and they suck and hate games that are good, Activision hates good games too that is why Transformers is bad, Cygames also.....also hate games too"

So I think the most fair and logical thing is this team can make great titles, but sometimes they make bad titles and even get games canned and removed from projects and some publishers no longer work with them because of questionable quality brought on by having stuff like 7 games being worked on at once. That is the most honest thing I think is happening here and I'm a fan of the team, but I can't honestly with all this information just say Microsoft is the reason...and trust me, I'd LOVE to say it was lol But when you add it up and see all the issues they've had, I just can't just say everything was just special case and on the fault of everyone else BUT Platinum games.

If Star Fox Zero is Nintendos fault, why is this Astral Chain game good and Bayonetta 2? If Activsion is to blame for those other titles, why is Sekiro unaffected? If MS hates single player games so much, why buy all those teams making single player content? That stuff clearly cost more money then Scalebound. So it just doesn't all fit and it sounds more crazy to just make it seem as if everyone else did something, yet the developer of the game is at no fault.... I find that hard to believe. Easier to just say working on like 7 titles at once will have questionable quality and hits and misses.

At some point, this is what fans look like explaining this.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sekiro unaffected?
That’s because Sekiro is not really from Activision. They just published for the the west and FROM themselves published the game for Japan. Same way Atlus published Demons Souls for west and Sony themselves published it for Japan.

Last edited:

EDMIX

That’s because Sekiro is not really from Activision. They just published for the the west and FROM themselves published the game for Japan. Atlus published Demons Souls for west and Sony themselves published it for Japan.

I know....and Activision published those Platinum games that failed too.. Thats kind of the point I'm making. Trust me, I know who published those titles around the world lol, just making a point. Don't hit me for bringing up Sekrio lol

Last edited:

oagboghi2

You mean like SEGA who doesn't fund or publish their titles anymore? You mean like Microsoft who had to cancel Scalebound because of this team? You mean like Cygames who removed them from Granblue Fantasy? Like that?

So the team has its own issues, lets be honest about them bud. Yes, some publishers still work with them, but it would be shortsighted to then ignore the ones that no longer do.
Sera still do publish their games, and if you haven’t noticed MS has failed to pretty much release anything with anyone. It’s not just Platinum

You’re trying to make up a rather silly narrative

Danjin44

I know....and Activision published those Platinum games that failed too.. Thats kind of the point I'm making. Trust me, I know who published those titles around the world lol, just making a point.
No, actually Activision own those IP and hired PG to make those games, that’s not what happened with Sekiro.

I literally just posted a article showing Hayashi from Nintendo directed and planned SFZ, and Platinum were brought on to do graphics, yet then he removes that when quoting me and he immediately responds to Lionel Richie Lionel Richie asking "if SFZ is Nintendo's fault then why are Astral Chain and Bayonetta 2 good?"............

EDMIX

No, actually Activision own those IP and hired PG to make those games, that’s not what happened with Sekiro.

Activsion still published the title, PG still made the game.

Sony owns the Demon Souls IP, but From Soft still made the game, as to why when Dark Souls released its not as if it was something else entirely, still the same team. Owning the IP doesn't mean the team making it has no responsibility and its off the hook for any an all issues or something. Who owns the IP has no relevance in this cause. I don't think they were like "ok, make a bad game please" lol

What part of Sony owning the IP of Demon Souls do you really think did anything to the game other then having Sony own it? Demons souls didn't turn out to be some 3rd person narrative story action game thing so..... maybe the publisher is just the publisher and developer is just the developer.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Activsion still published the title, PG still made the game.

Sony owns the Demon Souls IP, but From Soft still made the game, as to why when Dark Souls released its not as if it was something else entirely, still the same team. Owning the IP doesn't mean the team making it has no responsibility and its off the hook for any an all issues or something. Who owns the IP has no relevance in this cause. I don't think they were like "ok, make a bad game please" lol

What part of Sony owning the IP of Demon Souls do you really think did anything to the game other then having Sony own it? Demons souls didn't turn out to be some 3rd person narrative story action game thing so..... maybe the publisher is just the publisher and developer is just the developer.
Difference is Activision made limited budget and time for PG to make those games. It’s not that much a hard concept to understand.

EDMIX

Sera still do publish their games, and if you haven’t noticed MS has failed to pretty much release anything with anyone. It’s not just Platinum

? Who is Sera?

You mean SEGA?

They don't...

SEGA stop funding and publishing their titles after Anarchy Reigns, the only other thing was some IOS title that they worked on with some other smaller team, but other then that Bayonetta 2 and 3 are actually fully funded by Nintendo and published by Nintendo.

"MS has failed to pretty much release anything with anyone" They still have the money to fund titles as to why they bought all those teams recently.

Nothing silly about what is being stated my friend. Some can be explained, but not all. I don't really think it was just MS as looking at all the other situations, its looking more like this team is just swamped with contracts and some are suffering in quality.

Right now they are working on
Bayonetta 3
2 new IPs
Babylon's Fall

As in....they until recently with the release of this game had like 5 games in development at once..... Safe to say maybe that work load is causing a lapse in quality.

EDMIX

Difference is Activision made limited budget and time for PG to make those games. It’s not that much a hard concept to understand.

Let me guess, Nintendo did the same with Star Fox Zero too? MS did the same with Scalebound too? No scenario at all points to them working on like 6 to 7 titles at once as to why those titles might suffer in quality from time to time? Soooo zero, its just all Acitvision, Nintendo, Microsoft, SEGA fault , but not Nintendo cause they made Astral Chain and Bayonetta 2 good, but also Nintendos fault cause they made Star Fox Zero bad.........yea. That is sounding like a bit too much and its easier to just say this team is hit or miss and has too many damn projects they are working on.

At some point you need to jump thru rings of fire to keep making excuses for all of those situations. They took on too much projects and some times a game fails.

That is more logical then blaming the same publisher that is clearly making other titles without those issues..

Last edited:

Danjin44

@ EDMIX EDMIX : you can come up with own conclusion but I see almost all PlatinumGames’s own original IP like Bayonetta 1&2, Wonderful 101, Vanquish, MadWorld and now Astral Chain turned out great games. This my biggest reason why I had zero worry about Astral Chain and why I was super hype for it and exceeded my exception beautifully.

MagnesG

Banned
@ EDMIX EDMIX : you can come up with own conclusion but I see almost all PlatinumGames’s own original IP like Bayonetta 1&2, Wonderful 101, Vanquish, MadWorld and now Astral Chain turned out great games. This my biggest reason why I had zero worry about Astral Chain and why I was super hype for it and exceeded my exception beautifully.
Lol he already made up his mind on the PG devs having issues. At some point you kind of wonder why that much hate and prejudice for a niche to midsize developer and their not so famous series of entries.

EDMIX

Thats fine, you can see them that way too, but clearly Nier was a great title and not owned by Platinum games and Star Fox Zero was a bad title not owned by. So I think there is no puzzle to seeing if the game will be good or not based on publisher, I legitimately simply believe they over all have hit and misses based on a big work load and clearly subjectivity as some titles they might I might not like and you will etc.

I'm simply saying we can't ignore the work load and we can't ignore that some of the titles they've made are bad that they don't own and some are good. (I personally didn't like MadWorld so we gone fight later lolz)

I heard they wanted to start doing IP they own, but no word on if that includes this game. Is the IP owned by them or Nintendo?

MagnesG MagnesG Hate? huh? ummm I don't hate this team, I've stated many times I like them and they are one of my favorite developers. Nier Automata is basically the uncrowned GOTY of 2017. Look, don't make stuff up just to argue. I like the team and many of their games, but I'm also not blind to the issues they've been having recently and I'd like to see them slow down and focus on a handful of titles vs 7. I like them enough to want to see what they can create with that focus vs hit or miss. Not everyone saying something on this must HATE the team or LOVE the team. Heck I even stated I wanted Sony to buy them when that thread came up on who we think Sony should buy and my issues with the team where the same. They work on too much things that result in some of them getting lost.

"a niche to midsize developer" Well yes...exactly, midsize developer working on 7 titles, how is that not going to result in some titles getting less attention and failing?

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

Great or not depend on player's taste, the only truth is Platinum game doesn't sell. Out of all Platinum game i only like 2, its Bayo 2 and MGR, both does not sell well.

That's why noone wanna buy them, thats why noone gonna give them bigger budget.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Great or not depend on player's taste, the only truth is Platinum game doesn't sell. Out of all Platinum game i only like 2, its Bayo 2 and MGR, both does not sell well.

That's why noone wanna buy them, thats why noone gonna give them bigger budget.
From their stance it seems they don't want to be bought either for a proper backing. It's a shame when Monolithsoft for example, look at what they've become now after being nurtured by Ninty's EPD.

kevin_trinh

From their stance it seems they don't want to be bought either for a proper backing. It's a shame when Monolithsoft for example, look at what they've become now after being nurtured by Ninty's EPD.
I think thay have problem when managing aaa project, MS tried with Scalebound, Cygame tried with their new game too. Both turn out cancelled/kicked from project.

Astral Chain is awesome fun. Theres games such as Forza and Gears of War that ill never play because they are on Xbox and im fine with that. People that cant play Astral Chain on other consoles should be content with that fact. But I wont lie, the Switch got a great deal on this. I mainly play on PS4 but once Astral came out, I cant put down my Switch which is not something that happens often.

Top Bottom