• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain |OT| Anime, anime, ANIME COPS!

mcz117chief

Still unknown. DF played it docked only and they reported a closer to 900p. But since it’s 900p docked I’m sure it’ll be at least 720p undocked
720p would be awesome but I doubt it will hold it at all times. Xenoblade can drop REALLY low sometimes.

Komatsu

There was a drought of good games earlier in the year but now... with this, Oninaki and Control, my “play soon” backlog is getting even longer.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
There was a drought of good games earlier in the year but now... with this, Oninaki and Control, my “play soon” backlog is getting even longer.

Agreed with this. Gaming has been slow for me. Then this week I picked up Control and Mana Collection already. Tomorrow is AC. Then there’s Gears 5 and Code Vein coming soon. And WoW Classic just launched. :messenger_dizzy:

Andyliini

Well, my Limited Edition just arrived. Here are some pics from it. The box is way bigger than I thought.

Front:
eOYPdF3.jpg

Back:
vgay2wr.jpg

Inside:
kwMTKWK.jpg

Game, OST & Artbook

E3ODad2.jpg

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well, my Limited Edition just arrived. Here are some pics from it. The box is way bigger than I thought.

Front:
eOYPdF3.jpg

Back:
vgay2wr.jpg

Inside:
kwMTKWK.jpg

Game, OST & Artbook

E3ODad2.jpg
CE looks really good (not as good as Japanese version) which makes me so sad we didn’t got one in US and Canada.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've only played the first two missions but this game is an absolute rush. Combat feels a lot like Devil May Cry. English voice acting is slightly cringey.

Hotspurr

Banned
How painful are the non-combat sections? If one is a stylish action fan with no interest in the typical Japanese anime RPG stuff, is this still worth it or better to pick up on sale?

Danjin44

How painful are the non-combat sections? If one is a stylish action fan with no interest in the typical Japanese anime RPG stuff, is this still worth it or better to pick up on sale?
This game is not like DMC that its linear and you go encounter after encounter. Its has investigation, exploring, and doing side quests. If you are type of person who has no patients and wants to get to next encounter as fast as possible then this game might not be for you.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So far I've done two chapters and only really encountered a few sections where it's non-combat. There is a central hub (the police station) where you take missions and where it seems a lot of the story is going to take place. There is an "investigation mode" that lets you use futuristic-like-google-glass to solve the crimes and so far only one of those (the tutorial on how this game mechanic works, essentially) has been required.

I'm not far enough into the game yet to say for certain, but there seems to be a lot of side content that relies on that sort of stuff but it seems like a lot of it will be optional. The game has a lot of story / world building / atmosphere that revolves around the characters interacting with each other though, out of combat, so if your just looking for 100% action this might not be the game for you.

jshackles

I played another hour of the game today on my lunch break, the start of File 03.

At first I was like "this game is somewhat light on the RPG elements outside of me role playing as a character in the game". Turns out, you just have to get through the first part of the game before things really start to open up. Now I'm able to sell my scrap inventory, upgrade my weapon and legion kit, spend upgrade points on my legion itself to unlock new active and passive abilities, take on photo challenges, wash your legion (wtf), and tons more.

Me and this game are going to get along just fine.

dottme

I’ve tried it a little and I really enjoyed the beginning of the game. I really hope the rest is good.

Danjin44

I’ve tried it a little and I really enjoyed the beginning of the game. I really hope the rest is good.
I hope you have fun, I will be buying this day one but I cant play it until I comeback from my vacation in Sep 7th.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
From the start I've played, it's less move-sy than Bayonetta but still looks nice.

Danjin44

From the start I've played, it's less move-sy than Bayonetta but still looks nice.
I would this game was never trying to be full action game like Bayo and DMC, but just like W101 its own take on action game with own unique combat system.

angelic

Banned
I just bought the collectors edition from GAME UK, which was supposedly sold out, and is on ebay for 100. So grab it while you can.

Peterthumpa

To the surprise of no one, a Platinum game has little to no AA solution whatsoever. Game aesthetically is great but the rough resolution and the fucking lack of AA makes it look quite bad on my 55" set. Handheld isn't that much better.

I seriously don't understand non-UE4 games from Japanese devs and their aversion to anti-aliasing. I fail to understand such a thing since the rendering budget for a fucking FXAA pass shouldn't hurt performance that much but who knows. A shame, Switch really needs a Pro SKU.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Combat seemed meh at the beginning but then I got my Legion. Now it’s fun!

Game doesn’t look that good on my 55” screen

mcz117chief

Game doesn’t look that good on my 55” screen
No Switch game ever will, brother. The res and anti-aliasing just isn't there. Or am I wrong?

Anyways, I got my copy already, it isn't the CE I was promised but at least I managed to get something.

Peterthumpa

No Switch game ever will, brother. The res and anti-aliasing just isn't there. Or am I wrong?

Anyways, I got my copy already, it isn't the CE I was promised but at least I managed to get something.
MK8DX looks great, Mario + Rabbits looks amazing (and has proper TAA implementation), Captain Toad looks great, DKTF looks great, even BotW looks much better in the aliasing department. List could go on and on.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned

Yeah I understand that. It’s still a fun game and I’m still at the beginning

Enjoy your journey bruv!

mcz117chief

MK8DX looks great, Mario + Rabbits looks amazing (and has proper TAA implementation), Captain Toad looks great, DKTF looks great, even BotW looks much better in the aliasing department. List could go on and on.
Ok, I never tried to play the Switch on TV but I feel like stretching the handheld graphics onto a huge TV would look just awful. Even 1080p games are starting to look jaggy without a proper AA solution.

Vitacat

That CE is really nice. I’m in the US and plan to buy the physical game later today, but man, if I saw that CE on a shelf next to the regular copies I’d buy it.

Last edited:

whyman

I was so hyped for this but now i regret buying it. Story is super boring. Gameplay feels clunky and camera does not keep up. (2 hours in) I have actually been having a better time with Ancestors. (5 hours in) Does this game get a lot better or should I go back to humankind?

Mista

Banned
I was so hyped for this but now i regret buying it. Story is super boring. Gameplay feels clunky and camera does not keep up. (2 hours in) I have actually been having a better time with Ancestors. (5 hours in) Does this game get a lot better or should I go back to humankind?
Go back to Humankind..

zenspider

Too early for impressions - just finished the tutorial and set the difficulty - but so far so good. High concept Japanese game-ass game with a beautiful, energetic style, old-school 90s anime vibes, and drenched in style - kind of out of nowhere.

Surprised to hear graphical complaints - I'm not a pixel counter, but the this game looks so crisp to me - on par with similar styled PS4 games to my eyes on my monitor.

Played about 3 hours last night, which was enough to finish the glorified tutorial/intro proper (no, it's not over after the first or even second file).
Initial impressions: Enjoying it but that's the slowest start to a Platinum game by far. The combat feels kinda sluggish too, which I assume is due to the decision to lock the game at 30fps - it doesn't allow for the fluidity of other Platinum games. But I'm getting used to it, even if the combat is a bit simple by Platinum standards.
Lastly, I hate the decision to make your character a mute when there's clearly been voiceover work done for both male and female characters. It makes no fucking sense.

That said, I'm digging the art style and the lore. I'm also playing Control so the Astral Plane stuff almost feels like a Japanese take on Control's lore lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom