• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot: Rescue Mission Best 3D platformer this gen?

Wonko_C

The thread is about the best 3D platformers of this gen. Does Oculus Rift has a better platformer than Astro Bot Rescue Mission?
Let's not turn this into platform wars. It's the last thing VR needs. Besides OP already answered my question and cleared my confusion.

Last edited:

Romulus

Astro's Playroom is also super fun and full of references etc. A really cool homage to Playstation.

The only thing holding them back is the lack of content. If they had a lot more levels, collectibles and actual game mechanics (different types of jumps, moves, chaining moves etc) then you'd be looking at a top level 3D platformer.

Even just on PS5 I would say Sackboy is by far a superior game in almost all aspects.
Yooka-Laylee and A Hat In Time are both far better games too.

Mario Odyssey has more of a sandbox type design so I'm not sure it's the right game to compare to Astrobot.
Possibly Mario 3D world is a better one for comparison.

While they are very good, I don't think either of the Astro games are even close to being able to make a claim on being best of the generation.
They are very decent short experiences that serve as amazing tech demos for VR and the Dualsense controller respectively.

Google Astro Bot Rescue Mission Length. The median time for main campaign is 7.25 hours.

You just refering to the VR game as a tech demo is revealing.

Romulus

Sorry. 7.25 hours. My mistake.

All other points still stand.

As someone who is very critical of tech demos and short experiences, the VR Astrobot game is neither of those in practice. Watching a video it might come off that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom