• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Boy: Edge of Time (PC/Mobile CCG) Kickstarter

Forkball

New news new thread. From Project Atom of Active Gaming Media

A Digital CCG based on the work of the Godfather of Manga, Osamu Tezuka's universe, featuring world famous creatives.

Platforms - PC (WIN/MAC/LINUX) + Mobile & Tablet (iOS/Android)
Release Date - Early 2017
Genre - Collectible Card Game
Single Player - Campaign with a constantly expanding story that enriches the Tezuka Universe
Multiplayer - Competitive Ranked Matches and Friend Matches

Unique Positional Combat: players have access to two rows in combat: an offensive row where cards are able to attack the enemy, but cannot protect the player, and the defensive row where cards defend incoming attacks but are unable to initiate attacks.
Reimagined Characters: Fresh new redesigns of Tezuka’s most famous characters crafted by Japan’s most legendary illustrators.
Story Mode: Experience a whole new adventure with Astro and other famous Tezuka characters that intertwines a deep storyline with unique card-based combat.
Multiplayer: Battle other players in multiple ranked and unranked online modes and prove yourself as the best summoner in The Sprawl.
Ongoing Development: The experience is always growing! Regular updates for ASTRO BOY: EDGE OF TIME will add new cards, new story mode episodes, and new multiplayer modes, so there’s always something new around the corner.

You play as a summoner, equipped with a powerful deck of “cards” that allows you to summon mighty heroes from across time and space to fight to defend your new home. In the full game, players build decks of 30 cards to take down mighty foes and defend The Sprawl or take on other players in a plethora of ranked and unranked multiplayer modes.

Demo is available at their Kickstarter page. Suda 51, Akira Yamaoka, and some other notable game developers are on board.

RK128

Man, was hoping for a shooter set in the Astro Boy world ala Omega Factor :(. Oh well, at least the cards might look nice & the story could be interesting. Will keep an open mind about this project and hope for the best :).

Tizoc

I wouldve pref a match 3 game mainly as they are crack to me
Or a picross game with a tezuka theme
Both are crack to me

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hey everyone, I'm the scenario writer on Astro Boy, so feel free to ask questions about the game.

Also, please do check out the demo. It has four different deck types to try out, each based around different strategies.

Hey everyone, I'm the scenario writer on Astro Boy, so feel free to ask questions about the game.

Also, please do check out the demo. It has four different deck types to try out, each based around different strategies.

Maybe unrelated to scenario, but what kind of business model will it be ?

Tizoc

Ill def try the demo
But mankind divided unlocka tonight and i am in the mood of punching people in thr face and eating choco bars
And im all out of choco bars

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Maybe unrelated to scenario, but what kind of business model will it be ?

Card packs similar to Hearthstone and other CCG. There's also ingame currency you can use to buy card packs. You can also earn cards by playing the story mode, which is ongoing.

culafia

Is it gonna be f2p? None of the rewards include a copy of the game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well I'll pass on this. I like card games but they are a dime a dozen at this point and I don't think this will come anywhere close to be as well done as the upcoming Gwent game from CDPR. Sad because the creative team is something else.

It's rather disappointing to see that this tease was for a bogstandard free-to-play microtransaction based mobile gacha game after all. And asking us to Kickstart it no less. I guess I should have realized it would be something along these lines with the long list of artists, as getting a bunch of random artists to draw cards is one of the main tactics of these sorts of games. Oh well.

Oh, a card game.
Ok.

No thanks but hopefully someone else will enjoy this and be pleased by the announcement.
Sega should use this opportunity to announce a brand new Phantasy Star game that will actually be localized in the West: PSO2 Episode 3 - The C.A.R.D.S of Despair

Toad.T

Banned

How deep down the Tetzuka Well do you plan on going?

thetrin

why'd you get suda51, giorgio moroder, and akira yamaoka for a collectable card game

Suda and Yamaoka's are both huge Tezuka fans, and were gung ho to be part of the project. Giorgio Moroder was a perfect fit for a cyberpunk style soundtrack.

Ratrat

Would have preferred Tezuka art, or at least art in the style of. :/
Seriously....he's the god of manga with an incredibly iconic style.
edit: Well, I'll wait to see this list of 'legendary' illustrators. Might be interesting. One looks like Araki.

thetrin

How deep down the Tetzuka Well do you plan on going?

Lord Deadcross and James Block share a jail cell.

Rock is a constant dangerous nuisance that never seems to go away.

Vampires, Microid X, Phoenix, Big X and Triton are all in.

We're going deep.

I've basically been buried in reference material for 6 months, and I love shining a light on the obscure, so we're going to explore as much as we can.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Card game is fine but I was not expecting the art to look nothing like the Astro Boy I'm familiar with.

vareon

I actually prefer other characters drawn in Tezuka style rather than Tezuka characters drawn in modern style, lol.

Anyway this is not my cup of tea, but good luck to the team!

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Suda 51, Akira Yamaoka, Giorgio Moroder. An Astro Boy card game. Okay.
Those backer rewards are not very enticing I gotta say though.

Nairume

Banned
I actually prefer other characters drawn in Tezuka style rather than Tezuka characters drawn in modern style, lol.

Anyway this is not my cup of tea, but good luck to the team!
I'm not averse to the idea of modernized Tezuka art, since it *can* look really nice

The stuff they are doing with EoT just doesn't really look that great.

duckroll

Hmmmmm. Can't say I'm not somewhat disappointed by what it is, not so much that it's a Digital CCG, but rather that it was a teaser for a Kickstarter for what appears to be a F2P game?

So anyway, I checked out the demo and played two matches. I won one and lost one. The base mechanics seem fine, and there's a decent variety of cards in the decks even as a tech demo, but I'm confused about a few things. What is the deck size, how can you tell how many cards you have left, and is there a graveyard? Or do destroyed cards simply shuffle back into the deck? Can you run out of cards to draw? These aren't made clear in the demo. Regarding the "factions" in the demo they are clearly premade decks, but in the actual game, are there any restrictions to deck building for certain factions or does it only determine the "special" card you can trade for during the match?

Anyway, the gameplay presented in the demo seems fine, but I guess the biggest question here is... why? I like Tezuka, I like many of the artists who contributed to this, I like the music, but I feel like I'm missing the "oh this is really cool" catch here. As it is, there's a bunch of unrelated art styles re-imagining Tezuka's various works, this is fine, but it just doesn't feel exciting. And I don't mean this at all in a "who cares, card game zzzz" way. For example, there are 4 factions split between bad guys, the ministry of science, a phoenix cult, and a robot army. That's a pretty good starting split to categorize different thematic elements in the Tezukaverse. But when I swapped between the decks to play a match, I don't really feel that they're any different visually. I can pick up the mechanic differences, but for card games the visual divide between deck types is a big part of the appeal and also allows for stronger creativity in contrasting different artistic styles.

Take Magic the Gathering or Hearthstone for example, and I think it's pretty clear what I'm talking about. You don't just feel how different themed decks play, but just looking at the cards coming out, there's a sense that yes these are cards from one faction, with a unique lore and style to them. I'm not feeling that here because everything looks like this edgy cyberpunk "adult" version of Tezuka stuff, and every faction has robots or mean looking people. It would be cooler if certain artists worked exclusively on a set of cards for a faction imo. And... where's the flavor text? :/

Am I complaining too much? :(

Tizoc

Hmmmmm. Can't say I'm not somewhat disappointed by what it is, not so much that it's a Digital CCG, but rather that it was a teaser for a Kickstarter for what appears to be a F2P game?

So anyway, I checked out the demo and played two matches. I won one and lost one. The base mechanics seem fine, and there's a decent variety of cards in the decks even as a tech demo, but I'm confused about a few things. What is the deck size, how can you tell how many cards you have left, and is there a graveyard? Or do destroyed cards simply shuffle back into the deck? Can you run out of cards to draw? These aren't made clear in the demo. Regarding the "factions" in the demo they are clearly premade decks, but in the actual game, are there any restrictions to deck building for certain factions or does it only determine the "special" card you can trade for during the match?

Anyway, the gameplay presented in the demo seems fine, but I guess the biggest question here is... why? I like Tezuka, I like many of the artists who contributed to this, I like the music, but I feel like I'm missing the "oh this is really cool" catch here. As it is, there's a bunch of unrelated art styles re-imagining Tezuka's various works, this is fine, but it just doesn't feel exciting. And I don't mean this at all in a "who cares, card game zzzz" way. For example, there are 4 factions split between bad guys, the ministry of science, a phoenix cult, and a robot army. That's a pretty good starting split to categorize different thematic elements in the Tezukaverse. But when I swapped between the decks to play a match, I don't really feel that they're any different visually. I can pick up the mechanic differences, but for card games the visual divide between deck types is a big part of the appeal and also allows for stronger creativity in contrasting different artistic styles.

Take Magic the Gathering or Hearthstone for example, and I think it's pretty clear what I'm talking about. You don't just feel how different themed decks play, but just looking at the cards coming out, there's a sense that yes these are cards from one faction, with a unique lore and style to them. I'm not feeling that here because everything looks like this edgy cyberpunk "adult" version of Tezuka stuff, and every faction has robots or mean looking people. It would be cooler if certain artists worked exclusively on a set of cards for a faction imo. And... where's the flavor text? :/

Am I complaining too much? :(
You are providing feedback more like it

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Whoa, congrats, thetrin!

Wiseblade

What card game experience does the development team have?

Top Bottom