• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro's Playroom is fantastic

Got my platinum and the add on trophies. Really excellent game and hunting those missing items was super easy using the cards. Those things have real potential imo.

I got miles and demons souls but seriously tempted to grab sackboy also considering how much I enjoyed Astro.

I love the monkey and the space ship and my favorite throwback is the snake box as well as some of the cool stuff you can do while running around with a full play room.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Only played it until DS was done downloading and will never touch again. Controller stuff is neat but once the newness wore off the game was no longer fun for me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
AstroBot Rescue Mission is my game of the gen. If you like Playroom, you'd be blown away by Rescue Mission if you haven't played it yet. Obviously PSVR is required but I never thought I'd ever have that feeling of wonderment I had when I played Mario 64 for the first time as a kid, but Rescue Mission managed to surpass that feeling even though I'm an adult now.

I'm hearing a lot of great things from this game, I must try it when I get a VR set.

Last edited:
This game blew my mind honestly with all the implementations of the DS features.

It's so hard to explain, but the "feel" of water in your hands as you are swimming, or sand as you are walking on the beach was just crazy. I've only played the first level so far and the stage in cooling springs where you have to springboard around made me a believer of the adaptive triggers. It felt so incredibly intuitive to have the spring-like feedback in the controller itself. I can't wait to see what devs do with this controller in the future because support so far looks incredible and I'm sold.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This will be the first game I play. Mostly because I'm 100% digital and it will take hours to download another game :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Loved the VR game, can't wait to try this.

Had a plan to play the heck out of Miles Morales on launch night. Ended up playing Astro the whole time. Astonishingly innovative fun with the new innovative controller. Sony has outdone Nintendo in immersive control mechanics. I'll try Miles Morales tonight though. Can't wait for that one too.

Shakka43

Team Asobi is 2 for 2 with Astrobot, two fantastic platformers that showcase perfectly what their respective playing medium(DualSense, VR) is all about.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, that level where it's raining feels so fucking cool. It starts out with tiny little pats here and there you feel all around the controller, then the rain picks up and you feel it everywhere, then it turns to hail and every smack around your hands is harder. Really amazing stuff.

However, the pinwheels you have to blow into seem to be broken for me. It takes minutes of lightheadedness to get past these fucking things for me. No matter where I blow on the controller, I have to take in a massive breath and blow as hard as I can, to the point where my face hurts. What is this shit? edit- I ended up just settling on screaming into the mic instead of blowing...must have sounded real sane to the neighbors

Last edited:

TexMex

Plat 171 and my first PS5 plat

C1c1aZg.jpg

Bryank75

Banned
I'm in europe, so obviously have not played yet.....

However, they need to make a full length game... they need to get more staff that used to work on Mario and Luigi games etc, expand the roster of bad-guys, allies.... maybe add in Sackboy and other PlayStation cameos.

From what I see, there are novelty sections like the 'spring suit', much like how mario would get the Bee costume etc... they need to expand on that novelty stuff (maybe they already have, I have not seen enough)

Then they would have a great platform for a Kart game and other things.

timmyp53

Got my platinum and the add on trophies. Really excellent game and hunting those missing items was super easy using the cards. Those things have real potential imo.

I got miles and demons souls but seriously tempted to grab sackboy also considering how much I enjoyed Astro.

I love the monkey and the space ship and my favorite throwback is the snake box as well as some of the cool stuff you can do while running around with a full play room.
Are the speed trials hard?

Tschumi

What an incredible pack in. I've got Demons/Spider/Sackboy here but I can't stop playing this thing.

The amount of care and love for the brand here is so endearing but even beyond the nostalgia trip it's a really fun game on it's own merits. It looks and feels so good to control and yeah it seems to be ticking every possible DualSense feature box. I'm consistently impressed and it is constantly doing something new. None of it feels redundant and I'm addicted to building out the room with every Playstation accessory that I forgot even existed.

Should be able to get the platinum today I think. Pretty short obviously, but what an absolutely perfect pack in.

Anyone else playing or did you skip right to the "big" games?
I can assert without knowing that sackboy will be equally wonderful <3 tearaway *tears*

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I concur with most people, this game is surprisingly fun! Really glad it was free. Having been on every PlayStation platform, it was quite the trip down memory lane.

Got my platinum and the add on trophies.
I also noticed some of the trophies were add ons. Was the whole end game some extra dlc snuck into a patch?

However, they need to make a full length game...
Don't get me wrong, I loved all 4 hours I've currently put into it, but one of the best things is that it doesn't try to overstay it's welcome or pack in a bunch of filler. It's amazing for what it is and I think it's just the right size too.

timmyp53

The trophy said to get a combined speed run time of 7 minutes across multiple levels. Wasn't sure if the add on trophy was worth it. I just got the platinum myself.

TexMex

The trophy said to get a combined speed run time of 7 minutes across multiple levels. Wasn't sure if the add on trophy was worth it. I just got the platinum myself.

This is insanely easy to do. If you average 50-55 seconds per level you get it. You could get the trophy in under 10 minutes if you want it.

TexMex

Never done a plat before, but Astro's Playroom might be the first and only because it's so charming and lovely and nostalgia-packed. A celebration of anyone been on board with PlayStation since the 1990's.

No real reason not to. It's insanely easy, and with the new card system if you're stuck on a puzzle piece or artifact, a press of the Home button and it'll tell you exactly where it is. After you beat the game you'll have most of the trophies, and you can get the remainder in an hour or less. Welcome to the platinum club!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No real reason not to. It's insanely easy, and with the new card system if you're stuck on a puzzle piece or artifact, a press of the Home button and it'll tell you exactly where it is. After you beat the game you'll have most of the trophies, and you can get the remainder in an hour or less. Welcome to the platinum club!

Played plenty of games, never done a platinum or chased a trophy. If I was younger I would've been a trophy hunter. Now I don't even reply the games after beating them.

Are the speed trials hard?

hmmm... sort of? Not really. I mean it’s not super easy to get the total under 7 minutes but it’s also not so hard. It took me a few tries to figure out the timing. The difficulty I think comes in really optimising the time. It’s going to be great fun for speed runners I think. I did what I felt like was a flawless run and the top speed in the charts was like 13 seconds faster and I’m boggled to understand how they cut that much time.

I also noticed some of the trophies were add ons. Was the whole end game some extra dlc snuck into a patch?

I would say so yes but I didn’t play before updating to be sure. I feel like the final boss was leading towards something bigger snd longer snd just sort of ends but he was pretty tricky (well if completing in my second try counts as tricky) compared to the rest of the relatively easy game.

bender

What time is it?
I was having fun until the motion controlled spring suit and being forced to blow into the microphone. I get they are showing of the controller features but I started having DS/Wii flashbacks.

kingwingin

Ssd song is so good. I'm kinda shocked how much time I've put into this so far. Was going to delete it to save room when I heard it was a pack in

TexMex

I was having fun until the motion controlled spring suit and being forced to blow into the microphone. I get they are showing of the controller features but I started having DS/Wii flashbacks.

You don't have to blow into the mic. Just hit the mute button and it'll bypass it.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I would say so yes but I didn’t play before updating to be sure. I feel like the final boss was leading towards something bigger snd longer snd just sort of ends but he was pretty tricky (well if completing in my second try counts as tricky) compared to the rest of the relatively easy game.
Yeah, that is one of the reasons I feel the game wouldn't work if it was "full sized". It's enjoyable but too easy to hold attention for 20 hours. Still wonderful for what it's worth.

Would this game get more love if it was a Nintendo developed game? Because, it seems on par with Mario games. The fact it's free, a pack in and tutorial as well. It's a love song to Play Station, true passion.
Probably. Just look at Mario Odyssey, a 97 on metacritic.

It's a very good game, but Astro's Playroom has the following advantages:

- Better boss fights
- Better feedback thanks to DualSense
- More charm in environment design
- Doesn't feel like it's too much of a collectathon

Mario Odyssey crushes anything else in terms of Mario's moveset though, but that's not the only important part of a platformer. Astro just seems more magical.

Playroom is much shorter so that does knock things down a bit, but Astro Bot was a solid 8 hours or so and I still feel like the game is underrated.

Last edited:

TexMex

Anyone else have trouble hearing the trophy “ding” on PS5? Compared to the PS4 it’s practically inaudible.

I love this game. I had a woah moment when walking on the ice. The feeling in the controller was so different and actually reminded me of ice skating. The dualsense is next level and what sets the system apart. We haven't had a controller this cool since the DS2.

And I adore the fact that this game is an extremely cute and fun platformer while also being a wonderful dedication to Playstation's history. It gave me the feels whenever I found a collectible and really put in perspective how I've grown up alongside this brand. It brought a huge smile to my face. I really enjoyed jumping on the consoles in the Labo area and also seeing the little parody characters from classic games inside the levels.

I loved seeing Dante, Ape Escape monkeys, Sam Bridges, Cloud's buster sword, and Solid Snake. Such a wonderful game that every PS5 owner gets to enjoy.

I'm glad my copies of Demon's Souls and Spiderman came a bit late. It gave me a chance to really sit down and enjoy this game and also let it be the first game I play on PS5. I probably wouldn't have given it a fair chance otherwise. I'll always remember it.

Last edited:
Anyone got any impression or comparisons of this to sackboy? I feel like I got a bit of platforming buzz and hoping sackboy might scratch that itch.

Top Bottom