• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro's Playroom is fantastic

SkylineRKR

Jun 22, 2011
Holland
Great pack in, and an awesome little game. Can someone who's played Rescue Mission AND this kind of talk about the similarities and differences in the games? Is Rescue Mission essentially this kind of gameplay but locked behind a bulky, cord-laden headset?
Its about the same but instead of finding puzzles pieces and artifacts you're collecting hostages. The VR adds a shit ton of immersion though, and also some gimmicks where you have to deliver headbutts to certain enemies who fly towards you. Rescue Mission is one of the best VR games full stop.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Jun 14, 2014
Its about the same but instead of finding puzzles pieces and artifacts you're collecting hostages. The VR adds a shit ton of immersion though, and also some gimmicks where you have to deliver headbutts to certain enemies who fly towards you. Rescue Mission is one of the best VR games full stop.
Very cool, it’s always been the reason I wanted to check out PSVR since I love platformers. Astro’s playroom is a pretty joyful experience, Japan Studio is onto something here.

Ar¢tos

Oct 24, 2017
Krynn
All the little references to the most known Playstation games since PS1 are amazing!
For someone who had all the Playstation consoles, this game is a nostalgia trip.
Before playing this Ghost of Tsushima was my GOTY, now it moved to 2nd place.
The use of Haptics gives a totally new feel to what would have been a basic platformer without it.

• Love
Reactions: OutRun88

engstra

Jan 8, 2019
Had a grin ear to ear throughout my time with it. Hopefully a new full game in the series isn't too far away. When PSVR2 releases, Rescue Mission 2 has to be available day one to show off the tech.

Reactions: Ar¢tos

Ar¢tos

Oct 24, 2017
Krynn
For all of you who enjoyed this for its platforming I would recommend Sackboy: A Big Adventure. It’s not quite the masterpiece that Astro’s Playroom is, but it stands out on its own.
It's on my desk already waiting!
But I think after Astro Bot I'm going to play Demon's Souls, I don't want to get platformer fatigue and abandon Sackboy half way because of it

• Thoughtful
Reactions: OutRun88

OutRun88

Jun 12, 2020
It's on my desk already waiting!
But I think after Astro Bot I'm going to play Demon's Souls, I don't want to get platformer fatigue and abandon Sackboy half way because of it
Not a bad idea. Sackboy is decently long, and probably doubly so if you focus on 100% each level.

McCheese

Jan 7, 2018
Valve's Digital Distribution Platform
Just cleared it yesterday

What a wonderful game. A perfect little showcase of both Playstation history and technology

And I need that whole soundtrack.
Bad
It reuses half the songs from the VR game, which has ab album on Spotify.

I notice they didn't do caves in the PS5 game which is a shame as the music for that level is S tier!

Any tips on how to get the trophy for getting out of the rain? There are no ledges on the level I think it's on..

Reactions: Quazar77

Quazar77

Jan 7, 2018
Montreal
www.supermassivequazar.ca
It reuses half the songs from the VR game, which has ab album on Spotify.

I notice they didn't do caves in the PS5 game which is a shame as the music for that level is S tier!

Any tips on how to get the trophy for getting out of the rain? There are no ledges on the level I think it's on..
Yeah, I’ll have to track down that Astro VR ost

The Heavy Rain trophy?
There’s a little place right next to the fallen bot with the origami on top. Just stay underneath for a few seconds

pauljeremiah

Jun 7, 2007
Ireland
letterboxd.com
Absolutely adored this game. What could have been a simple tech demo for the controller, was developed into a fun platformer dipped in nostalgia. Would love to see Nintendo create something similar and lean heavily into its history and nostalgia.

Danieljay1

Aug 6, 2018
Im blown away with this game have a smile on my face playing it its that good.. such a good free game i hope developers capitalise on the controllers ability

JonkyDonk

Mar 7, 2020
Just finished it. Will be going back to do everything. What a lovely thing this game is. I feel bad for all the people who either haven't been able to get a PS5 to play this or idiot fanboys who hate playstation that will deprive themselves of such a great experience.

It was a genius idea to make this and include it with the console. I hope they make a full length Astro game next with even deeper platforming and combat mechanics. I would absolutely buy that.

Resenge

Feb 17, 2020
Just finished it. Will be going back to do everything. What a lovely thing this game is. I feel bad for all the people who either haven't been able to get a PS5 to play this or idiot fanboys who hate playstation that will deprive themselves of such a great experience.

It was a genius idea to make this and include it with the console. I hope they make a full length Astro game next with even deeper platforming and combat mechanics. I would absolutely buy that.
It's already out in VR, Astro-Bot Rescue Mission is a full flegded Astro-Bot game, I cannot reccomend it enough. It is just as much Joy to play as the PS5 version and longer with more bosses.

Last edited: