• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astros Playroom is on par with the last Mario game

I don’t know if this is super controversial to say or whatever. I’m not a huge platformer fan but I’ve played through the Mario on switch when it came out. And don’t get me wrong I actually think switch is the best console to be released maybe ever - BOTW was absolutely amazing for me. But after astros playroom on ps5 - I gotta say it feels like just general gameplay - it’s a bit better honestly? I’d put super Mario galaxy above it (think that’s probably my favorite Mario - yes including the og ones). Not to encourage Sony to start making a bunch of kids games but this Astro thing could be the Sony Mario for sure - fuck sackboy this is where they should be putting their effort. Am I insane? Possibly. I’ve been stuck inside due to Covid quarantine for a long ass time so... maybe I’m just losing it

b0ccb52bbb552f642a14e203bc2660cd.gif

Doubt.

Seems like it is working as it should, an indoctrination into Playstation.

Huh, I had a PS4 before this too. I have all the consoles (except Xbox one - have a series x tho) - legit don’t have a dog in the fight. But I played through Mario when it came out and I wasn’t even expecting to play this game... I dunno I think it’s better as far as gameplay. Mario has the nostalgia but this game is more fun to play imo

Codes 208

One was fun for about three hours before I ultimately swapped to demon souls and put 8x the hours into that.

the other one has seen 200+ hours of gameplay from me just collecting every possible moon i could.

I wouldn’t argue sackboys big adventure being a better version of Mario 3d world however.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The reverence it shows towards Playstation both in terms of collectables (hardware) and in-level callbacks (characters/games) is something you'd expect from Masahiro Sakurai in Smash Brothers. The game has pitch perfect controls but Astrobot lacks the move set you'd find in a 3D Mario game. The level design is also a lot more simplistic than the best of what Mario offers. Both of those limitations are probably born out of the series starting out as in VR. That said, both games are really special and should be experienced by everyone.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Its a really great game. Mario obviously wins by sheer length, and consequently more variety across that length

It deserves a full scale game next.

I still haven't played Rescue Mission but it's apparently even better? Almost makes me want to get VR

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I don’t know if this is super controversial to say or whatever. I’m not a huge platformer fan but I’ve played through the Mario on switch when it came out. And don’t get me wrong I actually think switch is the best console to be released maybe ever - BOTW was absolutely amazing for me. But after astros playroom on ps5 - I gotta say it feels like just general gameplay - it’s a bit better honestly? I’d put super Mario galaxy above it (think that’s probably my favorite Mario - yes including the og ones). Not to encourage Sony to start making a bunch of kids games but this Astro thing could be the Sony Mario for sure - fuck sackboy this is where they should be putting their effort. Am I insane? Possibly. I’ve been stuck inside due to Covid quarantine for a long ass time so... maybe I’m just losing it
They could try doing a full at least 15 hours game first, instead of a demo, 5 hours max.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I would say Astro's Playroom- at a gameplay level- isn't even as good as SACKBOY ADVENTURES (which is fantastic, IMO).

If you strip away the fan service and areas where they show off the controller in a fun way, it's a super average platformer IMO. Like an easy 5/10. In many ways/all other ways, it's a LEGO PLAYSTATION game.

Astrobot PSVR tho...now THAT was incredible and should have sold a lot more units of hardware than it did.

Kagey K

Banned
Huh, I had a PS4 before this too. I have all the consoles (except Xbox one - have a series x tho) - legit don’t have a dog in the fight. But I played through Mario when it came out and I wasn’t even expecting to play this game... I dunno I think it’s better as far as gameplay. Mario has the nostalgia but this game is more fun to play imo

Im thinking it’s been a long time since since you played a Mario game or a platformer, if you think this is the pinnacle of those types of games.

OutRun88

I would say Astro's Playroom- at a gameplay level- isn't even as good as SACKBOY ADVENTURES (which is fantastic, IMO).

If you strip away the fan service and areas where they show off the controller in a fun way, it's a super average platformer IMO. Like an easy 5/10. In many ways/all other ways, it's a LEGO PLAYSTATION game.

Astrobot PSVR tho...now THAT was incredible and should have sold a lot more units of hardware than it did.
But why strip away things and not look at it in the whole?

TheGejsza

Not even close. Astro is good for its own lenght. If it would be 8h + you would easly see how shallow is the base gameplay. There is nowhere near as much depth as in Mario Odyssey. The thing about mario games is that in the base content they are pretty easy but if you want to max the game out oh boy... you need to know your shit.

Last edited:
Im thinking it’s been a long time since since you played a Mario game or a platformer, if you think this is the pinnacle of those types of games.

The last platformer I played was Mario on switch with the moons. I mean it’s not really my genre - and none of the collectibles of PlayStation hardware did anything for me - it was really just playing the game mixed with the controls - I dunno I thought it was more fun.

And like I said I think the actual pinnacle of platformers was super Mario galaxy.

Last edited:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
But why strip away things and not look at it in the whole?

Because the OP was specifically talking about gameplay ('But after astros playroom on ps5 - I gotta say it feels like just general gameplay - it’s a bit better honestly?)

If he was saying Astro provided better fan service than Mario, or a better example of what the new hardware does, I would say he has a point.

But he's the one who called out the gameplay specifically. So I commented about that.

Kagey K

Banned
The last platformer I played was Mario on switch with the moons. I mean it’s not really my genre - and none of the collectibles of PlayStation hardware did anything for me - it was really just playing the game mixed with the controls - I dunno I thought it was more fun.

And like I said I think the actual pinnacle of platformers was super Mario galaxy.
I’m not going to dispute you. If you thought it was the best platformer ever that’s fine, but it seems this entire thread (even Sony fanboys) disagree with you.

Not even close. Astro is good for its own lenght. If it would be 8h + you would easly see how shallow is the base gameplay. There is nowhere near as much depth as in Mario Odyssey. The thing about mario games is that in the base content they are pretty easy but if you want to max the game out oh boy... you need to know your shit.

You may have a point here as I only mostly played through the base game and then a little more after that but I never tried to get all the moons or whatever

OutRun88

Because the OP was specifically talking about gameplay ('But after astros playroom on ps5 - I gotta say it feels like just general gameplay - it’s a bit better honestly?)

If he was saying Astro provided better fan service than Mario, or a better example of what the new hardware does, I would say he has a point.

But he's the one who called out the gameplay specifically. So I commented about that.
Fair point.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Astrobot VR is the best platformer ever made... fight me.

If you play it without VR, it's just average.

If you play it with VR the EXPERIENCE - IMO- makes it once of the BEST VR experiences ever made. EASILY.

But judging it solely as a platformer? I don't think many would agree w/your assessment. But it's subjective so...

Yes this is correct - was not about the fan service stuff for me

I’m not going to dispute you. If you thought it was the best platformer ever that’s fine, but it seems this entire thread (even Sony fanboys) disagree with you.

Wait are you talking about super Mario galaxy or astro?

Playroom was an awesome tech demo but it's nowhere near mario odyssey in almost any capacity. If the haptics weren't new to everyone it would be even be as big as it is. In mario odyssey there was a depth to the gameplay where you can complete the game doing the basic inputs but guys could also skip entire sections doing tech jumps and getting really good at timing the moves. There's no depth to astros gameplay it's fun but it's not near mario level

Fahdis

If you play it with VR the EXPERIENCE - IMO- makes it once of the BEST VR experiences ever made. EASILY.

But judging it solely as a platformer? I don't think many would agree w/your assessment. But it's subjective so...

Hehehehe, hey Jaffe. I remember talking to you at the PS Experience about the shitty moderation here on Gaf when you were originally banned by psychos. How the tides have turned. Glad you're back. It was such an amazing time talking to you in person. You made my childhood fun.

Besides that sticking to the topic, I couldn't ever want to experience the game in any other way to be quite honest.

Reallink

It doesn't have the scale and scope of a modern Mario, but what's there is definitely in the same class. Taking that into account, I personally enjoyed Robot Rescue and Playroom more than Odyssey, but not more than 3D World. Having 100%'ed all 4, I wasn't a huge fan of Odyssey.

Before Playroom, I also had serious doubts about how Robot Rescue would hold up without VR, but after Playroom, I honestly think I enjoyed it even more. I haven't played RR in a couple years though, so perhaps Playroom is genuinely a lot more refined.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Its a really great game. Mario obviously wins by sheer length, and consequently more variety across that length

It deserves a full scale game next.

I still haven't played Rescue Mission but it's apparently even better? Almost makes me want to get VR
I can’t get across just how fantastic rescue mission is.
Every level has a different theme.
This for me is Mario Galaxy in VR.

If you were local to me hell I’d even lend you my VR. No one should miss out on this. The gameplay, gfx, music and sheer charm pulls you in like nothing else.

It’s been a crap year. Do yourself a favour and treat yourself. See the year out with a huge high! 👍😁

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why does every Sony exclusive get put on a pedestal?

I played for a bit, the controller does all sort of cool and crazy stuff, my son wasn't interest, haven't touched it since.

Mario odyssey on the other hand we finished together.

Games are just better depending on who made them.

rofif

Banned
Why does every Sony exclusive get put on a pedestal?

I played for a bit, the controller does all sort of cool and crazy stuff, my son wasn't interest, haven't touched it since.

Mario odyssey on the other hand we finished together.
All kids santo fuck mario because of marketing

Arun1910

I didn't expect I would say this but it is one of the games I can't wait to play.

Neither did I! If it wasn't already installed I would never have downloaded it because it doesn't look like my kind of game.

But... it is pure fun. Each level is distinctly different, lots of history and it really makes amazing use of the dualsense.

I hope that after the good feedback it received that they make a longer game with 10-12 levels.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It really, really isn’t.

However, the comparison does it a disservice. In the context of a pack-in controller demo, this was fantastic.

I still have Mario Odyssey unfinished, I did like 3 worlds or something.

I platinum’d AstroBot. I stop playing platformers cause Mario games are the best ones, and they bore me. Except the Mario and Luigi series, they had some much charm. I would kinda like if they did Astrobot games once a year for like 20 bucks. I realized that I like short games, obviously not with a 60-70 dollar price tag. But 20-30 wouls be nice.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I still have Mario Odyssey unfinished, I did like 3 worlds or something.

I platinum’d AstroBot. I stop playing platformers cause Mario games are the best ones, and they bore me. Except the Mario and Luigi series, they had some much charm. I would kinda like if they did Astrobot games once a year for like 20 bucks. I realized that I like short games, obviously not with a 60-70 dollar price tag. But 20-30 wouls be nice.
mario odyssey is a fun game. But the quality of the levels is inconsistent. It takes a nose dive at several points in the game. And it's pretty obvious,
I love the game but it aint no perfect game.

IMO astros never overstayed it's welcome and felt like breeze of fresh air.

Top Bottom