• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astros Playroom is on par with the last Mario game

martino

Number of moves and ways to traverse/explore the game are incomparable
Op your authority tentative argument really fall flat for people looking deeply at how those platform games are made
ASTRO is effective and cool nonetheless

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's fantastic, but no, and it's not close.

Give Asobi a budget though, and it could get much closer.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No, it was fun free tech demo to show off the controller, nothing more and nothing less.

Orta

Banned
I can’t get across just how fantastic rescue mission is.
Every level has a different theme.
This for me is Mario Galaxy in VR.

If you were local to me hell I’d even lend you my VR. No one should miss out on this. The gameplay, gfx, music and sheer charm pulls you in like nothing else.

It’s been a crap year. Do yourself a favour and treat yourself. See the year out with a huge high! 👍😁

Astrobot VR is better than any 3D Mario game imo, and by a considerable distance too. I'm tempted to buy a PS5 just for Playroom.

GametimeUK

I don’t know if this is super controversial to say or whatever. I’m not a huge platformer fan but I’ve played through the Mario on switch when it came out. And don’t get me wrong I actually think switch is the best console to be released maybe ever - BOTW was absolutely amazing for me. But after astros playroom on ps5 - I gotta say it feels like just general gameplay - it’s a bit better honestly? I’d put super Mario galaxy above it (think that’s probably my favorite Mario - yes including the og ones). Not to encourage Sony to start making a bunch of kids games but this Astro thing could be the Sony Mario for sure - fuck sackboy this is where they should be putting their effort. Am I insane? Possibly. I’ve been stuck inside due to Covid quarantine for a long ass time so... maybe I’m just losing it

I'm going to politely say you're insane OP. I think you'd have a better chance arguing Astrobot (vr) vs Mario. If you loved Playroom this much you really do need to try the VR game.

Mokus

Not sure about that... 🤔 But definitely it's fun to play and Sony it's on the right path with the "new" franchise.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's better, it's true-next gen game with all the features which PS5 could do. I made a thread about that:

Raonak

Banned
Astrobot VR is on par with mario I'd say. amazing game. GOTY material if it weren't coming out in the same year as GOW.

Astros playroom is fantastic. would've been perfect if it were twice as long. I was left wanting more.
but still, what you get is flawless, especially because it's a free launch game. it has no right being as good as it is.

I can't wait for a full PS5 astrobot game.

the astrobot music is still stuck in head even though it's been 2 weeks since i played the game.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

It might feels that way because we're in quarantine and PS5 is new. Once novelty wears off and a couple of months pass by, I'm sure the perception will be different. Probably a good game nonetheless. It was very good on PSVR.

Boss Mog

Team Asobi is at EAD level. They have found that magic that Nintendo games seem to have. Sony needs to invest more into this studio, let them make a full length non-VR Astro Bot game (and a VR one too as a PSVR2 launch title) and also possibly try to come up with other new franchises or Astro spin-offs.

Boss Mog

These astro fans and their comments :messenger_tears_of_joy:
tumblr_m5aqeai0f31qeu214o2_500.gif

PooBone

I’ve repeated this many times but: Astro Bot Rescue Mission (VR) is the best Mario game since Mario 64.
Edit: Haven’t played Odyssey, or the PS5 incarnation of Astro Bot.

Last edited:

PooBone

PS fanboys are delusional. Its okay to love Sony. But stop stating your heavily biased opinions as fact.
Delusional? Nothing posted on this board is a stated fact buddy, we’re all here sharing our opinions, and yours sounds like a juvenile, uninformed one that almost certainly hasn’t played the game discussed in the OP. Less asshole, more class.

Last edited:

Alphagear

I definitely agree.

Mario Odyssey was pretty average. It was just too easy to get the moons.

So was Mario 3D world.

Pale in comparison to Mario 64 and the Galaxy games. In fact it makes me appreciate Mario sunshine more.

Certinty

Make Astro’s Playroom a Switch game and add more levels and I’m pretty sure it would be a 90+ MC game if not 93+. Amazing game.

Bodomism

Banned
Super Mario Odyssey was universally praised by critics and sold nearly 20 million copies.

aS79kl9.png

KeOaojG.png

Truly the masterpiece of 3D platformer.

Critics loved it = Highest score of the generation
Gamers loved it = Sold most of the copies at a full price and not discounted price.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
I don’t know if this is super controversial to say or whatever. I’m not a huge platformer fan but I’ve played through the Mario on switch when it came out. And don’t get me wrong I actually think switch is the best console to be released maybe ever - BOTW was absolutely amazing for me. But after astros playroom on ps5 - I gotta say it feels like just general gameplay - it’s a bit better honestly? I’d put super Mario galaxy above it (think that’s probably my favorite Mario - yes including the og ones). Not to encourage Sony to start making a bunch of kids games but this Astro thing could be the Sony Mario for sure - fuck sackboy this is where they should be putting their effort. Am I insane? Possibly. I’ve been stuck inside due to Covid quarantine for a long ass time so... maybe I’m just losing it

You're not insane, you're just a huge Sony fan so it skews your perspective. We all have biases but I doubt anyone outside of hardcore Sony fans would even entertain this idea.

TLZ

Banned
Super Mario Odyssey was universally praised by critics and sold nearly 20 million copies.

aS79kl9.png

KeOaojG.png

Truly the masterpiece of 3D platformer.

Critics loved it = Highest score of the generation
Gamers loved it = Sold most of the copies at a full price and not discounted price.
Nice ad. I don't know what this has anything to do with what OP said. Play the game, compare the platforming, the charm, the personality. Stop being a blind fanboy.

What was so good about Odyssey, exactly? Genuine question.

Platformers have been my bread and butter for over 30 years, and I didn't find it to be so impressive. Mario hasn't innovated at all since Galaxy and I found Odyssey to be not only boring, but a dog's breakfast in terms of style and gameplay. Nintendo basically phoned it in. But it has to be a 10/10 masterpiece because Mario?

I found Astro to be a much more fun and cohesive experience even if it's short and the platforming is simpler. The music alone is an inspiration. It also isn't constrained by a long history of what it's supposed to be.

SonicJams

The character is super boring to me. His world and motivations are meaningless and it felt the same playing it. Saying that, it is technically designed well with a lot of variety, but i just didnt find it "fun", if that makes sense.

I had a similar feeling while playing it. For reference i played through Super Mario Odyssey twice with my daughter, once on her profile and once on mine. If Astros play room was a little more plushed out like 7 levels instead of 5 then it would for sure be atleast on the same level as Mario.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The only problem with Astro’s Playroom is that it is short. I wish that was a slice of it and you pay for full game.

Odyssey was a bore and arguably the worst main entry to the Mario franchise.... definitely up there with Sunshine for that title.

Astro's definitely not a full fledged game but it has the magic of say, a Mario 3D World or Galaxy. Can't be compared as an overall package though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom