• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astros Playroom is on par with the last Mario game

Probably the controller projecting it. IMO
It just adds an extra dimension to playing.

Look I mean the controller is certainly a big part of it - but I think that still counts as part of the game. Like it’s integral to the gameplay. And if anyone looks at my post history I am legitimately not a fanboy of any of the consoles - I’m just stating in my opinion this was actually on odyssey’s level. Now it’s not my genre so maybe I don’t get the depth of the last Mario - I’m just saying my honest opinion. And I don’t mind short games so the length part is a non issue for me with a game like this.

Bryank75

Banned
I gave the GPU song a few listens and I'd say it's certainly lyrically playful and quite creative. If you wanna argue that the lyrics are more memorable (I'm your GPUUUUU), more intelligent and insightful (tesselate and rasterize, lol), I can give you that.

But musically, it's not touching SMO's crown jewel.

I guess cabaret isn't as much my style but I can see how people would love it.

Mokus

Sony and Microsoft never made good platformers
For me one of the best ever made.

Jak_and_Daxter_-_The_Precursor_Legacy_Coverart.png

Crm114

It’s not but it was really fun. They’ve laid the ground work for a full fledged sequel but we’ll have to see if they can capture lighting in a bottle twice.

Nymphae

Banned
It feels pretty bare bones but it's really good fun for free. I could see them using the character for a bigger adventure though.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I havent played it, but by the looks it seems that part of the enjoyment must come from the nostalgia factor.

Which isn't bad. One of my fav parts of Mario Odyssey was a nostalgia tease, and I loved it.

leo-j

Doesn’t say a lot considering mario odyssey was a dissappointment to me. Real mario 3d is in mario all stars, mario 64, mario galaxy! Now those were good mario platformers, not this new wii u and odyssey stuff.

edbrat

Astrobot control feels good, that is hard to do in a platformer which most people except Nintendo usually fall down on. But Odyssey is a much grander game, has cappy mechanics and the mario legacy, which counts for a lot no matter how edgy you are. Astrobot has a lot to do before it's part of the discussion.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
OP that is a controversial take. I haven’t played Astro but it looks fun, but it isn’t Odyssey level of fun.

When I got mario odyssey, I thought that I just cant enjoy from platformers anymore, as I experienced it as fucking boring & tedious piece of boredom & feeling somehow "depressed". Like it were the opposite of joyful game, and just leeching life from me. worst game I have played in 10+ years. I know it sounds weird but that is how I experienced it, Huge dissapointment.

Then I tried astrobots and noticed that maybe I havent grown out platformers completely, while I would not play game like that for long time, it were much more innovative and fun than mario odyssey.

Thing with "mario games" is that nobody (reviewers) dares to say "yeah this mario is pure boring shit", as it is kind of silent rule that mario games must get 10/10 and praised, or army of nintendo ninjas will destroy you and you are next to satan if you dont like it.

But I wont fear it. Mario Odyssey is boring, repetitive, non innovative and joyless piece of a copy&paste game.

(I still like mario 1-3, 3D marios have never felt as good as the first 2d ones on nes/snes)

So yeah, astrobots is par or over of odyssey, maybe because it can be fresh and it doesnt have to be the "100th same old mario game" so it feels different

Celcius

°Temp. member
OP that is a controversial take. I haven’t played Astro but it looks fun, but it isn’t Odyssey level of fun.
I feel like all the replies saying "I haven't played it but..." should should immediately be discarded.
This is the kind of thing you need to play and experience what it does with the DualSense controller.

Without having played it, that's a seemingly gross overstatement. And it's probably like 2 hours.

The thing I found funny was the homage to the ps3 in this pack in, but Sony made no effort for ps3 bc lol.

Foilz

Banned
I’m sorry but I don’t know what Coolaid some of you are drinking. Astronomy now way near the level of amazing that MO is. The controller has feedback and resistance triggers. It vibrates and restricts your fingers. I’ve played 2 levels of Astro and even though I thought. It was ok for a controller demo game it was in no way shape or form anything like MO

Thats where I stopped reading.

People getting all bent out of shape over an opinion is silly, Its subjective. I thought super mario odyssey had some good ideas but bored me to tears, too many collectables and too easy to complete imo. Astro-Bot Rescue mission gave me much more than odyssey ever could.

/opinion not fact.
lol. I've played enough 3d platformers to be able to tell at a glance where a demo that likes to sniff its own farts stands compared to a 3d mario.

Mario has been boring and uninspired for quite some time if we're being completely honest.

A lot of the responses in this thread remind me of my local paper's People's Choice awards, where the best burger is always McDonalds and the best pizza is the largest chain, even though we live in one of the largest cities on the continent with a wealth of food experiences at hand.

Popular doesn't mean good.

oagboghi2

Mario has been boring and uninspired for quite some time if we're being completely honest.

A lot of the responses in this thread remind me of my local paper's People's Choice awards, where the best burger is always McDonalds and the best pizza is the largest chain, even though we live in one of the largest cities on the continent with a wealth of food experiences at hand.

Popular doesn't mean good.
According to who?

Sony makes one good decent platformer, and now the Sony fans are acting as if their free pack in game is Mario 64. Please, it's an okay game, but I wouldn't put on the same level as galaxy or Odyssey. Hell, I wouldn't put it on the same level as the NSMB games.

I feel like all the replies saying "I haven't played it but..." should should immediately be discarded.

This is the kind of thing you need to play and experience what it does with the DualSense controller.

It shakes and trumbles in your hand.

Look, I like the controller, but that game is the definition of a tech demo. Show me where the really challenging levels are in that game.

Where is the content in that game that compares to Mario Galaxy 1 or 2?

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I don’t know if this is super controversial to say or whatever. I’m not a huge platformer fan but I’ve played through the Mario on switch when it came out. And don’t get me wrong I actually think switch is the best console to be released maybe ever - BOTW was absolutely amazing for me. But after astros playroom on ps5 - I gotta say it feels like just general gameplay - it’s a bit better honestly? I’d put super Mario galaxy above it (think that’s probably my favorite Mario - yes including the og ones). Not to encourage Sony to start making a bunch of kids games but this Astro thing could be the Sony Mario for sure - fuck sackboy this is where they should be putting their effort. Am I insane? Possibly. I’ve been stuck inside due to Covid quarantine for a long ass time so... maybe I’m just losing it
Yeah, you are right, but I'd say it's hands down better.....

Unknown?

According to who?

Sony makes one good decent platformer, and now the Sony fans are acting as if their free pack in game is Mario 64. Please, it's an okay game, but I wouldn't put on the same level as galaxy or Odyssey. Hell, I wouldn't put it on the same level as the NSMB games.

Look, I like the controller, but that game is the definition of a tech demo. Show me where the really challenging levels are in that game.

Ah so Wii Sports was just a tech demo too?

According to who?

I never said it was Mario galaxy good, it definitely isn’t - was talking specifically odyssey.

Clearly this was a more controversial opinion than I predicted.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I will play it at some point, but it isn’t unfair to discard the opinion of someone who hasn’t played it. I understand. Odyssey is brilliant. I doubt many platformers stand up to it.

thelastword

Banned
If you think the packed in game with your PS5 is awesome, which it is, you should really sample the Astro Bot VR game.....It has been rewarded Game of the Generation by many outlets and is a whole other experience......You should definitely try it......PSVR 2 wireless should be bonkers, and the hardware works on PC, it should open the market even more......Astro is genuinely a tour de force in the platformer genre, the genre has not received such an injection for millennia....

I also don’t get why I’m always called a “fanboy” of different specific consoles by (i assume) actual fanboys on this site. I think I’ve been called a fanboy of like every different console now it’s ridiculous. I am not loyal to any of these companies - it is just my opinion and I call it how it is for me.

I think breath of the wild was the best game of the past however many years. I thought Half Life Alyx was the best game of 2020. I didn’t enjoy the last of us 2’s story at all. I think halo infinite doesn’t look nearly as bad as people are saying and halo is one of my favorite franchises. I don’t think elder scrolls and the like will come to ps5. I’m getting cyberpunk on Xbox not Ps5. FPS and 4k resolutions don’t mean a whole lot to me. I find raytracing so far to be overrated. So relax I’m sure everyone in this thread disagrees with one of those opinions as well.

Top Bottom