• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astros Playroom is on par with the last Mario game

Max_Po

Banned
Well I finished Odyessey and I wouldn't go that far but the controls are amazing.

I hope they do make a platformer out of it. The bots are charming. My 2 and half year old was watching me play.

Why not?

A lot of people are tired of the "cinematic 3d action adventure" direction they have been going lately last gen.
Feels good they have two a bit more whimsical games to shake things up a bit.
Shure. You know, Switch only onwers (Big N hardcore fans) are tired of Sony cinematic 3d action adventure games they never played, are not afraid to say so and want Sony to stop those. 🙃😉 As a PS owner, i do want more and more of those. If i wanted Mario games, i would have a Switch to play Crash 4 and the next Ratchet aventure. 🙃😉
Still i would love a new Jumping Flash!

And yes, Astro is a lot of fun, a lot of Mario fun without the flaws (3d camera that sucks, so called art (and ugly art) to hyde low tech, musics that make you want you kill your ears - NSMBU players know what i mean). This game is a giant smack into Nintendo business, and it comes from someone who loves Galaxy.

Well done Sony. Now, work on a sequel with more levels and call it Super Astro World. 😉

Last edited:
Shure. You know, Switch only onwers (Big N hardcore fans) are tired of Sony cinematic 3d action adventure games they never played, are not afraid to say so and want Sony to stop those. 🙃😉 As a PS owner, i do want more and more of those. If i wanted Mario games, i would have a Switch to play Crash 4 and the next Ratchet aventure. 🙃😉
You must be very young, Sony used to be a lot more diverse in its portfolio before PS4 gen.
Also, not everybody wants to have multiple consoles.

You must be very young, Sony used to be a lot more diverse in its portfolio before PS4 gen.
Also, not everybody wants to have multiple consoles.

Thanks for that. I know, those were times where AAA games were not the main focus of the industry. That one of the reason BC is important to me and to you i guess.

The 1sr year of the PSX in Japan was something really special.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I agree, obviously the scale of the game is smaller but it's actual gameplay and the level of interaction and just pure fun is on par.

At first I thought it was my nostalgia for the PS brand and the way the game triggers that may have effected my opinion, because in that sense it's great. But then I let my 5yo son play it, who has little affinity to PS history and loves Nintendo, he plays a lot of Mario Odyssey and he was taken by this as much if not more by all the things he could do in the game. He comes home from school and it's all he wants to play.

I think if Asobi were allowed to make an Astrobot game on the scale of Odyssey or Galaxy they would absolutely make a game every but as good.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I agree with you here. It was definitely influential, especially with the mini analog stick, which was a real innovation. People wouldn't have ever used a full joystick for a platformer and I don't think that connection was made previous to Mario 64, especially with a free camera.

I'm just saying that we had enough experience with 3D at the time that it didn't seem like the game changer it maybe does today in retrospect. Cool, yes, but not head exploding.

My beef is more with Odyssey than 64 anyway. Mario 64 at least broke new platforming ground whether gamers loved it or not. Astro breaks new ground of its own with haptics, which I don't think is an exaggeration contrary to the dismissiveness in here.
I, like you had played games in full 3D before console on a 286 PC like 4D sports boxing and Driving - made by Don Mattrick's Distinctive Software - Wikipedia back in 1991 - but like others I was blown away by Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64.

I tried Mario64 at Xmas or Easter break when back from Uni (at home) on my friend's imported Ultra 64 on his new 24" Trinitron TV/nicam stereo :) and felt the Skywalker-esq Return of the Jedi move set was amazing and looked great, and played great, despite playing Tekken 2 for 40(?) hours a week at Uni on Ps1 with housemates in the months before

And also like you, my current gripe is with Odyssey. It has all the pieces in place - except for a reasonable soundtrack, because IMO that shouldn't have lyrics in a Mario world game and is jarring - while being completely lacking in Miyamoto game experience quality IMHO.

It is a really odd fish, dinosaur inclusion feels pointless in gameplay enjoyment/expression and blatantly because kids love dinosaurs. I honestly believe the tea table would have been turned over under Iwata/miyamoto management than let a polished, pointless Mario go out the door.

The game mechanic additions like the flicking tops were interesting, but need refinement, so they match the learning curve typically associated with a mario game - and I say this having completed all the Mario action platformers on the WiiU and Odyssey to the final unlockable levels - way beyond the ability of a casual platform player like my better half.

Astro even handles the difficult better IMHO for the wider audience - except for the speedrun levels - by providing credit for partial work done with well placed checkpoints- and when collecting, but failing to finish the level.

Astro isn't far off matching Mario sunshine's pinnacle(best visuals, gameplay and music IMHO) platforming experience - although the coins in Astro could do with something to depth cue them better, to make them look less sharp and clinical... so they feel like part of their 3D world - but the gameplay and experience was certainly better than Odyssey for me regardless of game length

I just came in to say I loved Astrobot. And loved Mario Odyssey, Sunshine, 64 etc.
I hate galaxy lol

Whoa whoa now. You hate Galaxy but loved Sunshine?! That needs some explaining. I never thought Sunshine was shitty, but it certainly was kinda stale. The water pak schtick was like something you'd see for a few levels in other Mario games as a gameplay switch up, but jnstead it was the whole game. It also lacksd so much of the charm that makes Mario great.

Imo of course.

If you're a big Playstation fan, I could see this hitting with you REALLY hard. Just like the same way that a Mario game hits with big Mario fans. The style, the nostalgia, the feeling it gives you, all that stuff adds up to a great, albeit short, experience. I have no problem with you saying this is as good as the last Mario game. A lot of people have been loving their Astro's Playroom play through.

Edit: I'd imagine if Nintendo were to create a Mario game like this that went through it's history is would probably be a lot of peoples Greatest Game off All Time! A great game with some nostalgia sprinkled over it would push it to Amazing. If Xbox did something similar, with a walk down memory lane I'm sure it would garner a lot of love as well.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Only ps5 game I played so far, solidifies my opinion that I can’t stand these types of games any more. Feels like a PlayStation themed Disney ride turned into a game. The controller was neat though. Got spider man rm, spider man mm, spider man PS4 (for save), dark souls, and ghost of Tsushima all downloading.

Kokoloko85

Whoa whoa now. You hate Galaxy but loved Sunshine?! That needs some explaining. I never thought Sunshine was shitty, but it certainly was kinda stale. The water pak schtick was like something you'd see for a few levels in other Mario games as a gameplay switch up, but jnstead it was the whole game. It also lacksd so much of the charm that makes Mario great.

Imo of course.

I prefer the open levels in Sunshine/ Odyssey/ 64 etc

Galaxy’s controls annoyed me and most the levels felt like the limited harder tight rope platforming levels in Sunshines and 64. Which there wasnt much in Odyssey/ Sunshine etc.

Not much open levels and just felt like I was spinning/ rocketing to small planets every minute with anti gravity stuff. I get people love them but I just didn’t enjoy them.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

Why not?

A lot of people are tired of the "cinematic 3d action adventure" direction they have been going lately last gen.
Feels good they have two a bit more whimsical games to shake things up a bit.

As they say variety is the spice of life. I don't understand why I as a 35 year old I'm not allowed to still enjoy family friendly platformers along side my shooters and 3rd person action adventure games.

Nymphae

Banned
As they say variety is the spice of life. I don't understand why I as a 35 year old I'm not allowed to still enjoy family friendly platformers along side my shooters and 3rd person action adventure games.

Are you enjoying them with your family or are you a lone 35 year old man playing a toy made for children? I played Astro to test out the controller, wouldn't have if it wasn't pre-installed, then moved onto the big boy games.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Bullshit, play whatever the fuck you want man.

The game oozes charm and controls like a dream, but is too short and feels like in certain parts that somebody whipped up the area in less than an hour using a basic level editor.

LucidFlux

Are you enjoying them with your family or are you a lone 35 year old man playing a toy made for children? I played Astro to test out the controller, wouldn't have if it wasn't pre-installed, then moved onto the big boy games.

Both! I grew up on platformers and my wife also loves them and any collectathon game. Sometimes I'm in the mood for the oozing atmosphere of Demon's Souls, other times I just want to collect stars in Mario.

Bullshit, play whatever the fuck you want man.

Oh don't worry I do lol! I just don't understand why people find non gritty games childish, like they can't have fun with a game unless their game is rated M. But like I said, variety is the spice of life, I'll play anything that's fun!

Top Bottom