• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro's PlayRoom Reviews |OT| WOOHOO!

Plat or no Plat?

• Total voters

JimiNutz

Banned
I doubt this will get much/any of my time initially as I'll be too busy with Demon's Souls but I'm sure I'll get around to it at some point.

I think it's awesome that Sony packed in a free game and my gf is looking forward to it also. Hopefully it also leads to more people playing Rescue Mission.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I am surprised that this game is getting good reviews.

Looks great for a free packed in title.
its Normal... i mean, its a Japan Studio subdivision game, of course the quality is huge.

Will be my first ps5 game to play it... later will be Demon Souls or Cyberpunk 2099 oficially.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The original Astro Bot might not have been an exceptional game if you stripped it of the VR but the team knew how to make something utterly charming and Nintendo-esque and it looks like they know how to do it without VR too.

Over time ... Japan Studio proved it can be like Nintendo in fun.

I always say that Japan Studio is "The Nintendo of Playstation".

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I’m going to mix this one with Demon’s Souls, but I want to get to know the controller also. When I need a break from DS, I’ll play Astro.

bender

What time is it?
Very hyped for this, looks really like a Mario style game and I hope the make more of these and expand the idea in the future.

Looks like they've hit two homeruns with the IP. I'd gladly pay for another stand alone entry at this point.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The previews looks tons of fun and I know its the kind of game I will enjoy. Honest question, is it really a full game or is it really just a very long (but amazing) tech demo, or is there more to it than that?

I hope Sony continues to have faith in Japan Studio :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Japan-based developer support teams have been reduced by as much as a third from their peak, and the rolling contracts of a number of game creators at PlayStation’s Japan Studio, one of the unit’s oldest in-house software ateliers, haven’t been renewed, former employees said. The U.S. office believes the PlayStation business doesn’t need games that only do well in Japan, employees in the California headquarters said.

bender

What time is it?
The previews looks tons of fun and I know its the kind of game I will enjoy. Honest question, is it really a full game or is it really just a very long (but amazing) tech demo, or is there more to it than that?

Sounds like 3-5 hours.

Bryank75

Banned
I think they said it's 5 hours long. It has a full trophy list and a platinum. So, not a full 10+ hour experience but for a free pack-in it's nice.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
giphy.gif

And this is being gifted for free from Sony! Thank you!

Yoboman

Having a lot of fun with this

Early impressions:

Controls are extremely tight and responsive

Worlds are pretty short and clever, little hidden areas to find stuff. Not overly challenging yet, just creative enough to keep you having fun

Absolutely packed with Easter eggs thst will make you smile if you're a Playstation fan. So far have seen spyro, ape escape and the PS3 ducks

Dualsense integration is so good. The reviews will do it justice better than me, but feeling different textures and sensations based on what's happening around you is absolutely correct

Asobi have a little bit of Nintendo magic about them. Everyone picking up a PS5 should check it out first. I really hope they make a full-scale platformer next

nowhat

Since there's no official OT, I guess this thread is as good as any. I had heard lots of good things about this (and the VR game, but I don't have a PSVR yet so haven't been able to try it), so of course I'll give it a go. And this game is way better than it has any right to be. It's basically a controller tutorial/demonstration + lots of brand awareness. I should be more cynical about it, but I'm not. It's really fun to play, looks and sounds terrific too. As far as (default) pack-in games go, this is the best for me since Wii Sports.

One thing had me laughing out loud though, for all the wrong reasons I guess. Those collectibles (various PS peripherals and the like), I either had used or at least seen most of them. But then there were products I had no idea existed. And PS Vita is there along with products like PocketStation and PSone LCD screen. I mean, fair, but still kind of rubbing it in.

Gamerguy84

Astrobot is a cool little platformer. Love all the references to PS products of past.

Astrobot VR is another level of cool. It can't compete graphically with PS5 version of Astro but they are totally different things.

nowhat

Astrobot VR is another level of cool. It can't compete graphically with PS5 version of Astro but they are totally different things.
Oh, no doubt. But I'll wait for the next PSVR iteration before jumping in (I borrowed one from a friend for a couple of months - it's like almost there but still not quite there, and the lack of HDR passthru on the initial model was just a bizarre omission).

Gamerguy84

Oh, no doubt. But I'll wait for the next PSVR iteration before jumping in (I borrowed one from a friend for a couple of months - it's like almost there but still not quite there, and the lack of HDR passthru on the initial model was just a bizarre omission).
I can't wait for it personally. I'll preorder that shit so fast. I still use PSVR on the regular though

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Team Asobi once again delivers an amazing experience with the little dude Astrobot.

The game is a joy to play, artistically is mind-blowing, thinking they design each group level with the console architecture in mind.

And the little Easter eggs are really really cool. It could be a little tech demo just to showcase the controller, but it's much more than that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom