• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro's Playroom

Banned
This. Mine is boxed up after each use. For adult use only

🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔

just so you know, this is not a PS5...

il_fullxfull.1700599591_cq3j_9a18f4b8-520e-4f7a-97fd-5a31e0315fc3_1024x1024@2x.jpg

that is a PS5 👇

R.053b3a54c03a723abd83a21d632833a7

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
oh god, look at all of these Mini Games:

WYis1MlzrJvMZzVVkMNwTM3CCp4Uo4aKMAYO4X0k9vw.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!rIFHDk2S40iBR1MBVT6pw~~60_57.JPG

the NES and SNES were such shit consoles! they barely had any full games!

edit: oh god and the PS1 as well!
look at these Minigames! they are everywhere!

OIP.bf_bVzwiRKKy_r26ELDgEwHaHP
psx_megaman8_screenshot.jpg

edit2: EA also tried to get away with it!
R.10020be427580b8ff5159ee9b7a1296e

Wait, we judge game length today based on 40 years ago? I guess halo infinite could have been a 8 bit 4 hour side scroller and been considered a full game, who knew.

Banned
Wow what a sharp and witty retort. 👏
It's not a full game, it's a tech demo that evolved into a bunch of really cool playable levels.

is Mega Man 1 a full game?

Wait, we judge game length today based on 40 years ago? I guess halo infinite could have been a 8 bit 4 hour side scroller and been considered a full game, who knew.

yes we do. and there are many modern games that are that short. Shovel Knight says hi
and I added Mirror's Edge as well as you can see

edit: I can add more:

R.81c8ca6f4425aa08aae8f017b9855092

maxresdefault.jpg

many RE games literally have unlocks if you finish them in under an hour or 2 hours, and that's not even really hard

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I still haven't played it. It downloaded automatically the second I signed in to my PS5 for the first time. I should try it I guess.

Banned
I still haven't played it. It downloaded automatically the second I signed in to my PS5 for the first time. I should try it I guess.

it's already installed, what downloaded there was an update. they improved the graphics a bit from the 1.0 version that is preinstalled

THE DUCK

yes we do. and there are many modern games that are that short. Shovel Knight says hi

Good for shovel knight. A few indie games being short doesn't mean the benchmark for a full game has moved. You guys talk about this demo turned into a bunch of really cool levels as if it's a full $70 aaa game. It is not.
Do you really think current greedy sony includes a full game with thier brand new console for free? Zero chance.

Also, directly from team Asobi

“It felt like, if we could absorb as many of these tech demos as possible, and make them inside a cohesive experience, it would probably have a lot more value and fun than having a collection of minigames,” Doucet said. “And then there’s the benefit of bringing our character to a wider audience.”

Basically they took a big group of tech demos and slapped it together into a "game".

THE DUCK

edit: I can add more:

R.81c8ca6f4425aa08aae8f017b9855092

maxresdefault.jpg

many RE games literally have unlocks if you finish them in under an hour or 2 hours, and that's not even really hard

Wait so now your comparing a 20 year old game that takes 6-20 hours? You've lost me.
And re-plays/speed runs don't count.

Banned
Good for shovel knight. A few indie games being short doesn't mean the benchmark for a full game has moved. You guys talk about this demo turned into a bunch of really cool levels as if it's a full $70 aaa game. It is not.
Do you really think current greedy sony includes a full game with thier brand new console for free? Zero chance.

Also, directly from team Asobi

“It felt like, if we could absorb as many of these tech demos as possible, and make them inside a cohesive experience, it would probably have a lot more value and fun than having a collection of minigames,” Doucet said. “And then there’s the benefit of bringing our character to a wider audience.”

Basically they took a big group of tech demos and slapped it together into a "game".

what is a full game by your definition? define "full game" and define why Astro's Playroom isn't a full game. many games use a bunch of concept ideas and throw them together to make a full game out of it, that is nothing special and never stopped a game from being a "full game"

is Tetris a full game? is Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix a full game? and if so, why? if not why not?

Wait so now your comparing a 20 year old game that takes 6-20 hours? You've lost me.
And re-plays/speed runs don't count.

playing through REmake 3 in less than 4 hours is not hard nor can you categorize that as a speedrun.
playing through REmake 1 in less than 4 hours is also not hard. maybe if you get lost, but if you are good with puzzles and don't die too often you are through that game in less than 5h for sure

Last edited:

THE DUCK

what is a full game by your definition? define "full game" and define why Astro's Playroom isn't a full game. many games use a bunch of concept ideas and throw them together to make a full game out of it, that is nothing special and never stopped a game from being a "full game"

is Tetris a full game? is Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix a full game? and if so, why? if not why not?

playing through REmake 3 in less than 4 hours is not hard nor can you categorize that as a speedrun.
playing through REmake 1 in less than 4 hours is also not hard. maybe if you get lost, but if you are good with puzzles and don't die too often you are through that game in less than 5h for sure

You seem to be benchmarking still against 20 or 30 year old games (that aren't even the same type), its 2021. A platform game is expected to be longer than ASTRO.
It's not a full game based on today's standards. There is really no debate.

Last edited:
Yeah same especially the monkey part. I used to think that nobody would enjoy that...Then 2 days ago my girlfriend's nieces came for the weekend and they had a blast playing that part, they were smiling and laughing the whole time.They are not used to playing games so they weren't good and the controller switched hands each time they died (for a good 30 min I don't think the controller stayed in one set of hands for more than 10 sec).Yeah they were bad, they knew it and didn't care, maybe we as gamers should go back a bit to this mentality.
I pretty much enjoyed them, I set a really good time in attack mode too

Such an incredibly fun game.

I also have Astro Bot Rescue Mission for PSVR and it is one of the best games I have ever played. Just a really fun experience from start to finish, these Astro Bot games are basically Super Mario but robots, imo.

Beyond the charm, the nostalgia, overall fun, nice visuals and performance, etc....

The most surprising aspect of this was the execution of platforming feel in 3D, and the weight of the moment. I was shocked at how good it felt. They nailed that part of it all to a surprising degree.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Wow what a sharp and witty retort. 👏
It's not a full game, it's a tech demo that evolved into a bunch of really cool playable levels.
You said one of the stupidest things anyone has ever said in here and you double down instead of owning up to it. What in your delusional mind is the required length for a game then?

THE DUCK

You said one of the stupidest things anyone has ever said in here and you double down instead of owning up to it. What in your delusional mind is the required length for a game then?

Just because your too silly to see reality doesn't make it so. I don't see a massive wave of anyone supporting your supposed "factual" side.

And just to be 100% clear, I still think it's fantastic and tons of fun.

Last edited:
Just because your to silly to see reality doesn't make it so. I don't see a massive wave of anyone supporting your supposed "factual" side.

No one agrees with you. Not one person

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Just because your too silly to see reality doesn't make it so. I don't see a massive wave of anyone supporting your supposed "factual" side.

Literally everyone commenting in this thread but okay. I just watched an ign review for "the Gunk" a game in 2021. Its 4 hours long. I guess it's not a 'full game' either eh?

Matt_Fox

Astro's Playroom is such a fun game, and was a bit of a flashback for me to playing Jak And Daxter: The Precursor Legacy on PS2 (anyone remember that one?).

It's still the only PS5 game I've played which makes sense of the Dualsense, and the music really elevates it too. A collectathon where you really want to 100% every level, and the fact that its free generates loads of goodwill after that initial unboxing of your precious new console.

THE DUCK

Literally everyone commenting in this thread but okay. I just watched an ign review for "the Gunk" a game in 2021. Its 4 hours long. I guess it's not a 'full game' either eh?

All 3 of you who commented eh? That's overwhelming. Like I said before, depends on the type of game. You launch a game like ratchet and clank (which is the same type as astro) and it's only 4 hours long, then yes, typically that's not a full game. The reviewers would have screamed this from the rooftops.

Edit: Just read that review, it's clear they had issues with its length too, lol

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
All 3 of you who commented eh? That's overwhelming. Like I said before, depends on the type of game. You launch a game like ratchet and clank (which is the same type as astro) and it's only 4 hours long, then yes, typically that's not a full game. The reviewers would have screamed this from the rooftops.

Edit: Just read that review, it's clear they had issues with its length too, lol
They didn't say mini-game though. What's the magic number then? What makes a full game?

So its not a full game?

ButchCat

As someone who doesn't have a Switch and misses the 3D Mario games playing this made me realize how much it borrows from them and that's not a bad thing. Sony can seriously turn this into something that they wanted but failed with Little Big Planet.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its pretty generic platformer imo, forget about the haptics after about 30mins of playing.

ButchCat

Don't think that series failed by any means
Oh no I'm not saying the series was a failure by any means they wouldn't keep pumping out new entries and spin-offs if it were, my post wasn't focused on the commercial success. Little Big Planet came out at a time when the Wii took the market by storm and I think mainly because they saw what platformers can do and wanted a new Crash Bandicoot type of situation.

ParaSeoul

Oh no I'm not saying the series was a failure by any means they wouldn't keep pumping out new entries and spin-offs if it were, my post wasn't focused on the commercial success. Little Big Planet came out at a time when the Wii took the market by storm and I think mainly because they saw what platformers can do and wanted a new Crash Bandicoot type of situation.
Probably not because the platforming was not the main focus of LBP

Great little game. It's the only game I think makes good use of haptic feedback.
I can't remember if I platinum'd it but I completed the Playstation museum.

Top Bottom