• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASUS ARES - The $1200 video card

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/08/asus-ares-cries-havoc-lets-slip-the-gpus-of-war-a-review-round/

The three slot monstrosity above is the ARES, a $1200 limited edition, fully custom board, sporting twin Radeon HD 5870 GPUs, four gigabytes of GDDR5 memory and practically enough raw copper to smelt a sword. We're not joking: the thing weighs nearly five pounds and requires a 750 watt power supply with three power connectors (two 8-pin, one 6-pin) to even run.

I'd post the picture but I'm on my iPod right now.

Ogs

The beast -

7-7-10-ares600guru3d1.jpg

ares01.jpg

DogWelder

WEGGLES said:
The card itself requires 750 watts? Wow. What would the benefit of this over Crossfiring 2 5870s be?
Faster communication between the GPUs means slightly better performance and I think that makes it possible to eliminate microstuttering. Although tbh, I only notice it rarely on my CF setup. Also, the ability to crossfire two of these and get a mega GPU. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
UFRA said:
Holy shit, does the card actually come in that awesome brief case???
Yup. You get a free mouse too.
RiskyChris said:
What the fuck is up with the perspective on those charts? :lol That's ridiculous.
The 600% fan flow also means 600% noise as the card get up to 50dB from 75cm away.

What's the point? Are they companies even focusing on making affordable (yet powerful) cards yet? I guess I'm on my own on this one.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
BloodySinner said:
What's the point? Are they companies even focusing on making affordable (yet powerful) cards yet? I guess I'm on my own on this one.

Asus has a whole range of affordable powerful cards. Although "powerful" and "afforable" are broad terms and very subjective. Recently bought me a Asus Radeon 5850 for 240 euro. That's afforable and powerful in my book. Will it run Crysis on Max? Probably not. Will it run my games sily smooth in 1920x1080, potentially with some settings turned off? Hell yes.

Red

neorej said:
Asus has a whole range of affordable powerful cards. Although "powerful" and "afforable" are broad terms and very subjective. Recently bought me a Asus Radeon 5850 for 240 euro. That's afforable and powerful in my book. Will it run Crysis on Max? Probably not. Will it run my games sily smooth in 1920x1080, potentially with some settings turned off? Hell yes.
Not sure about the 5850, but my 5870 runs Crysis with maxed settings at 720p and 2xAA between a constant 30 and 60fps.
ChronicleX said:
5 years from now, all of us will be able to have a card like this as standard with processors to match :lol
In five years, I hope cards with that much potential don't use as much power. I got an 850w psu, thinking it would be good for a xfire set up in the future, but with all the components I have in my rig right now I'm wishing I went with a 1000w. If I had that Ares, holy fuck, I'd lose all power in my house just by switching on my PC.

LCfiner

That suitcase is fucking fantastic. :lol

part of what I love about bleeding edge tech is that we'll look back on this monster in 10 years and its performance will be a total joke compared to some integrated SoC design

Dennis

Banned
So Crossfiring two of these badboys will finally let me play Crysis at 2560x1600 with 4xAA at awesome framerates.

Hmmmm.....tempting!

And Metro 2033 at the same resolution with tesselation + 4xAA + Very High settings, too

Oh lawd :D and people complain that consoles are expensive...

And i bet this expires and becomes obsolete in around 5 years.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Noisepurge said:
Oh lawd :D and people complain that consoles are expensive...

And i bet this expires and becomes obsolete in around 5 years.
If any of the big 3 made a console that cost 4x as much but rendered all games at 1080p with 60FPS and 8xAA, some people would buy it. More than likely, more than the 1,000 ASUS ARES produced as well.

dankir

Holy fuck 2 Ares cards in crossfire run Company of Heroes at 366FPS at highest everything.

What would that even look like :s

Kapura

Banned
dankir said:
Holy fuck 2 Ares cards in crossfire run Company of Heroes at 366FPS at highest everything.

What would that even look like :s
Monitor can't refresh that fast, it would look like whatever the max is.

Apoc29

I bet you nerds remove it from your PCs before you go to a LAN party or whatever just so you can haul it around in your briefcase and unveil it to the throng of peons who will hail you as their king.

Top Bottom