• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 5 passengers on first Caribbean cruise in months tests positive for COVID-19

Kadve

Shocked Pikachu.PNG

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...rst-caribbean-cruise-in-months-tests-positive

At least five people who were aboard the first Caribbean cruise ship in months tested positive for COVID-19, according to a CNN report.

JUST IN: The ship's captain announces 5 people have tested positive for #COVID19 on SeaDream 1, the first cruise ship to embark on a voyage in the Caribbean since the #coronavirus shut down the cruise industry.
— Ana Cabrera (@AnaCabrera) November 12, 2020

NBC reported earlier on Wednesday that a passenger tested positive for the virus, citing a report from Gene Sloan, a reporter for the website The Points Guy who was on the ship.

Sloan said the captain announced that the passenger aboard SeaDream 1 tested positive on a “preliminary basis.” NBC noted it was not clear what "preliminary basis" means.

Sloan said that all passengers were asked to return to their cabins to isolate and that the ship's crew was also isolating.

The Hill has reached out to SeaDream Yacht Club, which owns the ship, for comment. SeaDream 1 is the first cruise vessel to begin sailing in the Caribbean since March when the coronavirus was declared a pandemic.

Coronavirus cases are now skyrocketing across the U.S., raising alarms as people move inside to escape the colder weather.

There were 53 passengers and 66 crew members onboard SeaDream 1 at the time the announcement was made, according to Sloan.

Every passenger on board had to test negative for the virus several days prior to boarding and again on the day of boarding. Another round of testing was conducted Wednesday when the passenger tested positive.

The ship left Barbados on Saturday and had traveled to Saint Vincent, Canouan Island, and Tobago Cays, according to Sloan. Passengers had not come into contact with island locals, he wrote.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention first barred cruise sailing in mid-March, and renewed the order in April and July. It later lifted the order to allow “simulation” cruises to sail in the U.S.

Cruise ships proved to be dangerous for the spread of the coronavirus after hundreds aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan contracted the virus in February. Several ships docked outside U.S. waters ran into similar issues before cases started escalating in the U.S.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
People get sick on cruise ships, it is one reason of many why they are so horrible.

If people want to get on one of those things now, they should be able to. They know the risks. They know they might get infected with a virus that has a 99.98% survival rate, that might give them a cough and a fever for a week, or nothing at all. Let people be adults and make their own damn decisions.

Damn, who would've thought!

It’s permanently fucked by our irrational fear of this virus which is exacerbated by the media and our leftist governors and mayors.

Bullshit like this should be bannable. I know very healthy people who died for this fucking virus and in my country so far, almost 170,000 people died this year... 170,000 people who could still be alive.

Show some respect you dumbass.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Damn, who would've thought!

Bullshit like this should be bannable. I know very healthy people who died for this fucking virus and in my country so far, almost 170,000 people died this year... 170,000 people who could still be alive.

Show some respect you dumbass.
Lockdowns aren't the fucking answer. Killing industries to never bring them back aren't the answer. The answer has to be found another way. You think you're the only precious little snowflake that's known people personal to them that have died with COVID? I have, too. I still say what I say, because it's true. This disease ain't even a FRACTION of the Spanish Flu and they didn't do any of this shit for this long back then. You spend your life working for one of these cruise liners only to be out on your ass looking for a way to put food on the table and see how it feels.

FUCK ANYONE WHO SUPPORTS LOCKDOWNS.

Last edited:
Lockdowns aren't the fucking answer. Killing industries to never bring them back aren't the answer. The answer has to be found another way. You think you're the only precious little snowflake that's known people personal to them that have died with COVID? I have, too. I still say what I say, because it's true. This disease ain't even a FRACTION of the Spanish Flu and they didn't do any of this shit for this long back then. You spend your life working for one of these cruise liners only to be out on your ass looking for a way to put food on the table and see how it feels.

FUCK ANYONE WHO SUPPORTS LOCKDOWNS.
So you don't give a fuck about people dying. Ok got it.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
So you don't give a fuck about people dying. Ok got it.
Fuck you. How long before people run out of money and starve because they can’t work.

I never said don’t do anything. I said lockdowns aren’t the answer. They won’t stop the spread and other than a phase 1 leave lockdown, they won’t even slow the spread down.

I bet you have a liberal arts degree and you were already on welfare before Covid hweren’t you snowflake?

You don’t know what a day of work looks like do you?

Fuck you. How long before people run out of money and starve because they can’t work.

I never said don’t do anything. I said lockdowns aren’t the answer. They won’t stop the spread and other than a phase 1 leave lockdown, they won’t even slow the spread down.

I bet you have a liberal arts degree and you were already on welfare before Covid hweren’t you snowflake?

You don’t know what a day of work looks like do you?
No I don't and yes I do. I even work on Sundays and Holidays. Don't say what you don't know and don't call me snowflake.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
People get sick on cruise ships, it is one reason of many why they are so horrible.

If people want to get on one of those things now, they should be able to. They know the risks. They know they might get infected with a virus that has a 99.98% survival rate, that might give them a cough and a fever for a week, or nothing at all. Let people be adults and make their own damn decisions.
Unfortunately that won't save these industries. Movie theaters are open where I am and Saturday night there were 8 people in the theater 4 of which were my family (ok Monty python and the Holy Grail might not be a big draw) but the entire place was dead even though tickets and concessions were super cheap.
People are choosing to stay away - it's gonna take a lot to instill confidence and a bunch of people catching Covid on the very first cruise is not gonna help at all.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Unfortunately that won't save these industries. Movie theaters are open where I am and Saturday night there were 8 people in the theater 4 of which were my family (ok Monty python and the Holy Grail might not be a big draw) but the entire place was dead even though tickets and concessions were super cheap.
People are choosing to stay away - it's gonna take a lot to instill confidence and a bunch of people catching Covid on the very first cruise is not gonna help at all.

Well, sure, people were forced to stay in their homes and get fed fear mongering propaganda for months. They’re scared of their own shadow.

But that’s a different question entirely. The point is, if someone wants to hop on a cruise now, they know what the situation is. Fact is, for most of us, getting COVID is not a big deal.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Well, sure, people were forced to stay in their homes and get fed fear mongering propaganda for months. They’re scared of their own shadow.

But that’s a different question entirely. The point is, if someone wants to hop on a cruise now, they know what the situation is. Fact is, for most of us, getting COVID is not a big deal.
These people did hop on a cruise. Politically it might matter but for the cruise companies, theater owners etc it doesn't really matter if it's a government lockdown or people just not wanting to risk it, they are fucked either way.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Re: irrational, didn’t we have those CDC stats which pointed at a 99 point something survival rate for the ‘rona? That was from kids, to much older adults, I believe, and when it got to the ancient people, by far the group we worry about most, the statistic was something like 94% still.

Hulk_Smash Hulk_Smash isn’t off base here. The reaction (lockdowns, treating it like a once-a-century plague) doesn’t seem to match the reality.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Re: irrational, didn’t we have those CDC stats which pointed at a 99 point something survival rate for the ‘rona? That was from kids, to much older adults, I believe, and when it got to the ancient people, by far the group we worry about most, the statistic was something like 94% still.

Hulk_Smash Hulk_Smash isn’t off base here. The reaction (lockdowns, treating it like a once-a-century plague) doesn’t seem to match the reality.
Thank you.

They've started up cruising in Europe and had few problems, but that started in the August/September. With winter coming it's only expected the virus will transmit more easily which we can see with rising numbers across multiple countries. It clearly can't be contained at this point and we have to learn to live with it. I worked in the cruise industry and was getting ready to go back before the virus hit. I have a lot of friends who are out of work due to the extended lockdown. Most of us aren't getting bailed out by the government. Keeping this industry shut down is literally affecting 100 000s of jobs. We need to get back to work and stop having the industry demonized since none of the efforts on land are working.

Porcile

They're on a boat. Just put a on raft in the ocean and wait for someone to pick them up. Keep doing that until there are no more cases. Problem solved.

Last edited:

ryan13ts

Hardly surprised, and it's just going to get worse with winter on it's way. You really have to love gambling to even consider taking a cruise, with the way things are now.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If I remember cruise ships started or at least accelerated the volume of positive covid tests what the hell is someone doing on a ship months out especially years out of a pandemic?

Azurro

Banned
They are operating these things in the wrong way, they should only have allowed people on the ship that already had covid and beat it. Half joking, half serious. :)

...and nothing of value was lost.

Listen I get cruising isn't for everyone. It is a bit gross (don't go in the hottub for fucks sake unless you want to bath in jizz and bodily fluids) and can draw a certain crowd of people who are a bit unsavoury. But it keeps hundreds of thousands of people employed, boosts the local economy in ports where the boats visit and provides a unique vacation experience you can't get anywhere else (watching the sunset on the ocean is incredible). Not only that but a lot of people really enjoy going on cruises and it is their preferred way to travel. I wouldn't wish for you to lose your job or be unable to do something that brings you a lot of pleasure. I don't understand the general callousness towards this industry. No one forces you to like it or to partake in them, but those who enjoy it shouldn't be denied it, and those who depend on it financially shouldn't be held in limbo trying to figure out if they'll have a job to return to or if they have to go find another gig.

“I think people are too scared of a virus that kills people under 50 at a very similar rate to the flu...”

“YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT PEOPLE DYING!!!111!!1”

It’s so tiresome. Everyone cares about all these deaths in the abstract. Clearly it hurts to lose a loved one. And yes, some infantilism % of healthy people under 60 will die.

But I can tell you for a fact, way more young people are dying because we’re fucking up society right now. Badly. There are a huge number of children and young adults that are falling apart mentally in tragic ways. Suicides and drug ODs are WAY up. Crisis ED visits for young people are WAY up. Alcoholism is rising as a frightening pace.

The problems we are creating with our response to covid are going to FAR outlast the virus’ impact. We are stunting the intellectual and social growth of a generation right now. And not to protect them, but to protect other people. We are stealing their future right now to give to other people.

It would be great to acknowledge that at some point instead of acting like the ones dying of covid are the only people who matter.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
If I remember cruise ships started or at least accelerated the volume of positive covid tests what the hell is someone doing on a ship months out especially years out of a pandemic?

If we actually looked at the Diamond Princess for what it was, which was the perfect controlled experiment for unchecked COVID spread, we would never have instituted all this tyrannical insanity.

-Virus burned out after infecting 20%-30% of the population
-2/3rd of people were asymptomatic
-Everyone who died was extremely old (13 out of 14 deaths were over 70)

All things that continue to be true in observation of this in the real world

Last edited:

M. Crassus

If we actually looked at the Diamond Princess for what it was, which was the perfect controlled experiment for unchecked COVID spread, we would never have instituted all this tyrannical insanity.

-Virus burned out after infecting 20%-30% of the population
-2/3rd of people were asymptomatic
-Everyone who died was extremely old (13 out of 14 deaths were over 70)

All things that continue to be true in observation of this in the real world

Being over 70 isn't "extremely old", nor does it mean that you're not susceptible to intense suffering. Choking on your own lung fluids is a pretty awful experience, and if you're glossing over this fact just because you're personally not in the most vulnerable group, you have a serious lack of empathy.

Then there's a significant percentage of COVID long haulers, many of them young people, that will have to deal with a significantly reduced quality of life for months if not years.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Being over 70 isn't "extremely old", nor does it mean that you're not susceptible to intense suffering. Choking on your own lung fluids is a pretty awful experience, and if you're glossing over this fact just because you're personally not in the most vulnerable group, you have a serious lack of empathy.

Is it worth destroying the lives of billions of people around the world of all ages (yes including 70+, see old people not able to see their families, not getting the routine care the need, thus increasing their mortality risk for everything) to primarily benefit this one age cohort in this heavy handed way? This may sound crass, but that's just not the way our society worked, ever.

Old people die of everything, it's part of being old, and while we invest a lot, trillions of dollars every year (Medicare -$650B a year, just to start, then add research, etc.) to giving them the care they need, we also operate with the assumption that the priority should be to the young ("women and children first", etc.). From the beginning, there were steps we could have taken to protect the old while letting everyone lives their lives relatively normally, yet in some ways we did the opposite - put the old people at more risk (Cuomo's nursing home genocide) while destroying the lives of everyone else. All of this just seems like the final parting shot from the boomers tbh.

Then there's a significant percentage of COVID long haulers, many of them young people, that will have to deal with a significantly reduced quality of life for months if not years.

COVID long haul? You mean hypochondria brought on by the mental stresses of isolation and the inability to live a normal life, combined with constant fear mongering? Yes, it is a problem.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't a cruise its an IQ test.
And everyone who got on board failed miserably.

With all the new covid-19 positives...alabama is still having in-school classes...SMH
So what? Look up the science on covid in schools before you get your panties in a bunch. Maybe high schools should go remote. That’s pretty much it though. Even alarmist outlets have basically admitted schools are not a driver of transmission.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
So what? Look up the science in covid in schools before you get your panties in a bunch. Maybe high schools should go remote. That’s pretty much it though. Even alarmist outlets have basically admitted schools are not a driver of transmission.

Just shows you to what degree lockdowns, masks, etc. are not "science" but a cult at this point - like getting the ro is a sign you have made a mistake, not that you caught an infectious disease. See the way they paraded Chris Christie around in the media after he recovered. He's a big lardass who can't take care of himself but they brought him on TV saying he sinned by not wearing a mask and paid the price for it.

Just shows you to what degree lockdowns, masks, etc. are not "science" but a cult at this point - like getting the ro is a sign you have made a mistake, not that you caught an infectious disease. See the way they paraded Chris Christie around in the media after he recovered. He's a big lardass who can't take care of himself but they brought him on TV saying he sinned by not wearing a mask and paid the price for it.
More like he paid the price for years and years of bad eating habits combined with a lack of physical activity. It’s not about shame, it’s about consequences. We live in a world now where most people like to pretend they don’t exist.

cryptoadam

Banned

And meanwhile everyone who got sick at that superspreader event seems to have gotten healthy and beat the Rona. Even 74 year old Trump kicked its ass in 5 days. You would think at least one of the people at the Rose Garden would have died from the Rona if not half or 75% of them.

notseqi

Turns out Bill Burr was right in suggesting a soft cull by sinking cruise ships.
What a stupid move to wager your life on the low possibility that none of your shipmates drag Covid on to the cruise.

M. Crassus

COVID long haul? You mean hypochondria brought on by the mental stresses of isolation and the inability to live a normal life, combined with constant fear mongering? Yes, it is a problem.

Do you really find it unlikely that a virus like SARS-CoV2 with all its varied clinical presentations also has long term ramifications for some people? Many of them have similar verifiable symptoms such as hair loss.

notseqi

Do you really find it unlikely that a virus like SARS-CoV2 with all its varied clinical presentations also has long term ramifications for some people? Many of them have similar verifiable symptoms such as hair loss.
A loss of memory and an average of 8.5 IQ points lost versus the control group.

Probably nothing, eh?
People whining about lockdown should check their Brawndo stocks, it's coming.

iq: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.20.20215863v1.full.pdf

Exhaustion in 50% of covid patients https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0240784

Last edited:

A loss of memory and an average of 8.5 IQ points lost versus the control group.

Probably nothing, eh?
People whining about lockdown should check their Brawndo stocks, it's coming.

iq: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.20.20215863v1.full.pdf

Exhaustion in 50% of covid patients https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0240784
Female gender and those with a pre-existing diagnosis of depression/anxiety were over-represented in those with fatigue.
You don’t say? Who would’ve thought?

Top Bottom