• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point how can anyone underestimate or deny Microsoft/Xbox?

NahaNago

Like others have said the games aspect they are still weak on. They can show that they are improving buy buying more studios but they still need the games from those studios. Plus the fact that they thought halo was okay to be launched in that state is a negative to the guys in charge of okaying that as a launch game. In maybe 2 or 3 more years Microsoft can be become a major threat but Sony will do their best to sprint as far as possible until then.

Great Hair

Banned
d0eAzFI.png

Ten_Fold

You can’t they are doing very well. I love my series X, quick resume is SUCH a good feature. I’m excited for the next few years. I think this gen the Xbox will be pretty good.

zedinen

PlayStation Studios is a well-oiled machine founded two decades ago. Its market value would be around $25 bn. On top of that, console gaming is synonymous with PlayStation in most countries.

And with Sony breaking records and building a cash war chest to pursue inorganic growth, if needed, time is running out.

SSfox

Yeah, i can't deny how a multi billionaires company since years they've been in the gaming business not being able to do even half of what their competitors that does with even much less budgets and money in their pockets.

This thread would've been perfect if it was posted on April 1st tho.

Last edited:

MrSarcastic

Banned
PlayStation Studios is a well-oiled machine founded two decades ago. Its market value would be around $25 bn. On top of that, console gaming is synonymous with PlayStation in most countries.

And with Sony breaking records and building a cash war chest to pursue inorganic growth, if needed, time is running out.
And even with sony´s track record, they are not immune to fuck-ups. Let's not forget Driveclub, The Order, the canceled game from Santa Monica, Uncharted 4 trouble development, japan studio situation, Polyphony slow ass development cycle. Just to name some examples.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I remain unconvinced that GamePass is actually what the mass market wants, even if it is a strong offering to the hardcore gamer.

Most casuals will dabble with it while its cheap, but generally stick with the one or two titles they buy/play habitually.

They should see some uplift from it -they are in the PC space too-, but to be honest I don't see them denting Sony and Nintendo's console business.

It didnt look great, but i thought it looked fine, especially if its targeting 4k/60.
The problem with Halo Infinite is that it was pretty much the first 'next gen' game shown, and people had, and still have to an extent, pretty wild expectations of what next gen was going to give us.
I think if Halo Infinite was shown today, as its first showing, after everything we have already seen of 'next gen', well i dont think the backlash would of been half as big as it was imo.
Lol what? Are you serious? What next gen games have you seen that compare to halo infinite?

My god you people are blind. Halo infinite looked like an early xbox one game, there are tons of PS4 games that look way better than that shit.

MrSarcastic

Banned
I remain unconvinced that GamePass is actually what the mass market wants, even if it is a strong offering to the hardcore gamer.

Most casuals will dabble with it while its cheap, but generally stick with the one or two titles they buy/play habitually.

They should see some uplift from it -they are in the PC space too-, but to be honest I don't see them denting Sony and Nintendo's console business.
Game Pass is just brilliant and makes sense on so many levels. but as the vast majority in this thread have pointed out, the issue is not the hardware or the services. is the AAA GOTY Game of the Generation New IPs games.

Astral Dog

To understand why Microsoft sells less hardware/software than Sony/Nintendo, you have to focus on what it doesnt do right

And the answer is simple: exclusive games

Amazingly designed hardware, controller and acessories means nothing compared to the importance of quality exclusive games

The Switch is a fucking tablet with some shit-ass ergonomics and garbage analog sticks, and yet it sells like hotcakes

They are working on it, buying studios and developing games ...

But we arent playing them yet, so we will see
Thats a part of it, but it doesn't tell the whole story, the Switch is selling when the Wii U didn't because it offers something the competition simply can't do, console quality gaming on the go and on TV, its a tablet, but when it was released it was considered quite powerful for $300 and doesn't look cheap like other Nintendo hardware such as the GamePad.

Xbox is gonna have exclusive and the hardware to compete, but in years, Sony got the marketing advantage right now coming from the very successful PlayStation 4 with Naughty Dog games Spider Man and GoW, they have been advertising the Play Starion 5 nonstop while Microsoft had some missteps like Halo Infinite.

However, i would argue Xbox hasn't anywhere to go but UP, while PlayStation 5 could end a less successful platform than its predecessor. Still very early on this gen

Last edited:
After the extremely anti consumer BS they tried to pull at the start of last gen, gotta hand it to them doing a 180. Now they have the best policies by far of the big 3 for refunds and stuff. That and gamepass have them set up well for this gen. If they keep adding major 3rd party games to GP should be set in the short term until more 1st party stuff hits.
Not really. They need exclusive games otherwise it doesn't matter what the do.

Seriously, when was the last time microsoft released a game considered to be GOTY? I think we have to go back a decade to find one.

A decade without any groundreaking game ? Any other company would be dead by now.

CuNi

What’s a Xbox?

I’m European, I only know what it is because I am here... exaggerating but it is kinda true.

Most parts of Europe you can go to a store and you only see Nintendo and PlayStation games on selves nothing of Xbox.

Most Europeans see Xbox as a console that only caters to Americans, I am not sure about the rest of the world.
Also adding the fact that for years, the European Union been penalizing American companies for their anti competitive behavior...

So answering your question, yeah depends on what part of the world you are...

Dafaq country are you from? Every big electronics shop has all consoles with areas dedicated to them and even shops where i do my grocerys habe Xbox and ps games next to the movies. And I'm not living in any big Metropol but in a border district of a medium sized city. When I look out my windows I see wheat fields m8.

Central EU knows very well about Xbox, I've even seen TV commercials for it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Not really. They need exclusive games otherwise it doesn't matter what the do.

Seriously, when was the last time microsoft released a game considered to be GOTY? I think we have to go back a decade to find one.

A decade without any groundreaking game ? Any other company would be dead by now.

I don’t remember the last time any 1st party game was my game of the year. MS now owns Bethesda that released many personal goty winners.

S0ULZB0URNE

Hardware wise we all saw the direction they were going when they designed and came out with the Xbox Series X. That should have been the first sign that they were getting their sh*t together. Then you have game pass, the acquisitions, the XSX and the XSS. Hell look at the elite controllers and the Xbox wireless headphones (not my cup of tea) on the accessories side of things. You had to know that they were bringing it going forward. Some of you acting like they are dabbling in the video industry with no clear plan. This is not to knock Sony or Nintendo in any way.
But but!

PgE0APC.gif

I don’t remember the last time any 1st party game was my game of the year. MS now owns Bethesda that released many personal goty winners.
Yeah, bethesda will help but one studio that releases a game every 3 to 4 years wont cut it. The thing is Microsoft had 20+ studios already but still decided to buy Bethesda for 8 billion. So that's a pretty good indicator that you don't trust in what you have.

Hardware wise we all saw the direction they were going when they designed and came out with the Xbox Series X. That should have been the first sign that they were getting their sh*t together. Then you have game pass, the acquisitions, the XSX and the XSS. Hell look at the elite controllers and the Xbox wireless headphones (not my cup of tea) on the accessories side of things. You had to know that they were bringing it going forward. Some of you acting like they are dabbling in the video industry with no clear plan. This is not to knock Sony or Nintendo in any way.
I don't pay for digital. Game pass is an idiotic service for suckers. I'll get an Xbox at some point, but the lack of full BC and the internet access required to set it up makes it less of a priority.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They somehow think Halo Infinite looks great so for a company that makes video games they got a lot more to learn.
Halo Infinite also lowered my expectations for Xbox. I know it's just one studio's game but how did they think that was good enough

NikuNashi

Did I miss them releasing a next gen only new game? Until we see games everything else is pointless.

All we saw so far was a poor looking Halo which was clearly the result of diversity hires rather than talent. Still waiting to see something great.

Last edited:

iHaunter

They still have 0 games worth playing, 8 months into the console life-cycle. They suck.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yeah, bethesda will help but one studio that releases a game every 3 to 4 years wont cut it. The thing is Microsoft had 20+ studios already but still decided to buy Bethesda for 8 billion. So that's a pretty good indicator that you don't trust in what you have.
Not really, Sony bought insomniac and they owned a bunch of studios. MS is just a much bigger company so they can afford to spend more.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
They weren't taking gaming seriously until this generation. Just look at their track record. Xbox is now part of the big family and it gets whatever funding is needed.
Eh, they took it seriously with the 360.

They just fell off hard later in that gen. Chasing the Kinect audience.

Which lead to the disastrous XBO messaging and reveal.

Last edited:
Let's wait until Halo Infinite launches with critical acclaim no network issues a strong campaign and with enough content to make justice to the "Platform" flag they are saying this Halo is going to be.

I mean a Halo game launching on Game Pass Day 1, and also having it's multiplayer be F2P, especially given that xCloud should be available to the public on iOS and PC at that point. No matter how good Azure is there are going to be network issues the first 1-2 days given just how many people are going to be playing it. Expecting no network issues for any popular multiplayer game at launch is always unrealistic, let alone when you factor in everything else that will make the launch of Halo: Infinite very busy

If it's true that XSeX/S hardware sales are underperforming XBone at the same points in their respective life cycles, one wonders what exactly MS continues to see in producing new console hardware. They can make Gamepass a PC exclusive subscription service and save themselves all the money wasted on making new consoles every gen.

Eh, they took it seriously with the 360.

They just fell off hard later in that gen. Chasing the Kinect audience.

Which lead to the disastrous XBO messaging and reveal.

It was the most they had cared about it prior to now, but they still only had like 6 1st party studios at that point compared to 23 now. The level of investment in Xbox right now is magnitudes larger than it has ever been, whether it pans out or not remains to be seen, but we have never seen anywhere close to this much commitment into Xbox in it's entire history

bender

What time is it?
Gamepass is a great service but I do wonder if they can sustain the quality once they are out of the user acquisition mode. All parties involved seem happy so far. Other than that, Xbox is a lot of hopes and dreams right now in terms of software. Their acquisitions are exiting but are also most likely years away.

Series X, beyond their Marketing's chest beating, really hasn't shown it is head and shoulders above Sony's offering.

I do love what they've done with backwards compatibility and that's where the majority of my Xbox (XOX launch unit died and why I got a Series X) time is spent.

There are valid questions to be asked, like if they can manage these studio acquisitions and bring out compelling software and maintain the quality of Gamepass.

Zeroing

Banned
Dafaq country are you from? Every big electronics shop has all consoles with areas dedicated to them and even shops where i do my grocerys habe Xbox and ps games next to the movies. And I'm not living in any big Metropol but in a border district of a medium sized city. When I look out my windows I see wheat fields m8.

Central EU knows very well about Xbox, I've even seen TV commercials for it.
What? Commercials? I live in Portugal! There’s barely anything related Xbox here. I had lived in the UK , that’s the only place I’ve been in Europe with anything showing that Xbox exists as competitor to the other 2 brands.

anyway this just shows how they don’t even care.

The truth is: Microsoft is desperate as fuck. The Xbox division buying so many studios is a hail mary move. If all these purchases don't pan out, there is good chance Microsoft will leave the console gaming market.
They definitely are leaving. Which is why they are hyping up gamepass and x-cloud so much. Think about it, you currently don't even need to buy an xbox console to play their games or use their services. Microsoft is a software company first and foremost.

Renozokii

You realize that everyone will be going full streaming in the future (well you never know with Nintendo lol), thats just the future. There is IMO a pretty big chance that we will only get one more hardware generation after this (remember one more generation after currrent means 14 or 15 years from now), and then it will all be streaming. Subscriptions is how you get all other entertainment now, and Microsoft are going with the times, as Sony will do too at some point.
If anyone has a plan for the future, its Microsoft and Xbox. (Gamepass and Xcloud).
I hardly call any of this a plan though. Xbox has the luxury of being back by not just a 2 trillion dollar software company, but the second largest cloud service provider in the world. Failing generation after generation to then being almost axed to then just spending obscene amounts of money to make a come back is a shit plan.

And of course it’s the future, but why be hyped or rush towards it? Look at the current state of streaming for tv and movies. Filler, dog shit, and the best is the stuff coming way after it was in theaters. To get a decent selection you need at least 3-4 different streaming services.

Do you think ea is going to be ok being attached to gamepass forever? Do you think Ubisoft won’t push their own streaming service? Activision? Of the current big 3, Microsoft is the company I trust least to pave the way to the future. They haven’t changed, the almost gold price change proves that. They are out of touch and have always been. They don’t know games. Owning a publisher and a bunch of new studios doesn’t mean they magically are in touch with their consumers. The only reason they have a fanbase anymore is they are the only company able to blow billions and lose who knows how much on gamepass a year to make it “the best deal in gaming.”

And I’ll repeat. Xbox still has no games. We are 6 months into the new gen. I’ve never seen a console launch with a whopping 0 first party games on launch, let alone 6 months later. This is why they will always lose. They suck at the basics.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
If Microsoft with the Bethesda and all the other acquisition this gen fix the last piece (but the most important) that is the games, it will become hands down the best choice for those who want to enter a videogaming ecosystem. They have everything ready and really well done, price points with two console options with the possibility to choose whether to play on PC or console, the most powerful and also better engineered hw (on the aesthetics I leave it to personal taste even if I think the sx / ss win there too) and the best controller with the Elite2 ...Cloud saving, crossplay,crossbuy,rewards, refunds, groups, with the introduction of Gamepass ms probably have the best service in the world of video games of the last 30 years, purchase options via subscription or single game, one of best Cloud infrastructure in the world and certainly the best among the big 3 of gaming, the best BC and since two gen ms virtualizes its operating system the certainty that also in the future the BC will be important, the largest department of First party studios. in short they just have to fix the last one piece of the puzzle

Last edited:
blind fanboyism. that's why people won't take MS serious. this forum is heavily biased towards Sony.

this is the first generation in 25 years i've not bought a Playstation. MS really impressed me over the last few years and with the Series X reveal. their approach to backwards compatability blows Sony out the water who can only support last gen games. Gamepass is a huge deal and great value. Xbox actually, for me, has more exclusives that I'm interested in. There's like 2 games for PS5 so far that I want to play whereas Xbox has at least 6. Also, MS buying out Zenimax means Xbox will be the best (or ONLY) place to play future Elder Scrolls/Fallout/Doom games.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Depends on the market.
western part of the world, they’re very competitive.
eastern part of the world, they’re almost non-existent in presence.

Like games I can see but there’s zero marketing compared to Sony and Nintendo.

Last edited:

RCU005

To me it's the games, and so far there has been none from them. They have been doing a great job so far trying to get customers back, but in order to have a video game console do well, it needs games, period, there's no way around that.

MonarchJT

Banned
I hardly call any of this a plan though. Xbox has the luxury of being back by not just a 2 trillion dollar software company, but the second largest cloud service provider in the world. Failing generation after generation to then being almost axed to then just spending obscene amounts of money to make a come back is a shit plan.

And of course it’s the future, but why be hyped or rush towards it? Look at the current state of streaming for tv and movies. Filler, dog shit, and the best is the stuff coming way after it was in theaters. To get a decent selection you need at least 3-4 different streaming services.

Do you think ea is going to be ok being attached to gamepass forever? Do you think Ubisoft won’t push their own streaming service? Activision? Of the current big 3, Microsoft is the company I trust least to pave the way to the future. They haven’t changed, the almost gold price change proves that. They are out of touch and have always been. They don’t know games. Owning a publisher and a bunch of new studios doesn’t mean they magically are in touch with their consumers. The only reason they have a fanbase anymore is they are the only company able to blow billions and lose who knows how much on gamepass a year to make it “the best deal in gaming.”

And I’ll repeat. Xbox still has no games. We are 6 months into the new gen. I’ve never seen a console launch with a whopping 0 first party games on launch, let alone 6 months later. This is why they will always lose. They suck at the basics.
false. 3 generation in one of this 3 sony ended the generation by losing money. Anyone who says ps3 won against x360 is a madman or a fanboy it is the money that counts for the companies not the consoles sold in india thanks to a software hack that allowed to play practically for free.

D5DwjRhUwAAs0yn.jpg:large

2007/2013 enjoy it, they had to wait half of the ps4 gen to recover the lost money

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

My personal opinion is that within the next 5 years, XBOX / Game Pass will be a huge force in the gaming industry, and things will look A LOT different with regards to the XBOX / PlayStation dynamic.

Robb

Gold Member
I agree that MS have definitely stepped up their game.

But the games should do most of the talking IMO. Their first party output has been their biggest problem for me, we still have to wait and see if they can fix that. Delaying Halo was a good choice, but then again it probably shouldn't have had to be delayed in the first place..

Top Bottom