• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point of last generation (2 years) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was out

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
We have yet to have a next gen experience like that (It was in fact cross gen but the graphics were amazing on PS4 and the gameplay felt next gen)

No Kojima Metal Gear is a massive blow to this gen.

The greatest gaming franchise of all time.

header.jpg

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's by far the best MG game ever made. I wouldn't have even thought anyone took the story seriously in these games if I didn't have the internet.
Hey! I like their stories, they are wacky as hell but also know how to be cool when they want to get serious. I think they might have kinda the same appeal as Yakuza stories for me.

That said, yes! MGS V is by far the best one once you put the story aside, gameplay carried the game for me.

That was lucky timing because MGSV was originally only going to be on previous gen consoles. Kojima famously went sour with Konami which undoubtedly slowed things up.

Gun Animal

MGSV was cross-gen, easily comparable to Death Stranding or Elden Ring. Also, MGSV sucked, I'm a huge optimist and pride myself in having realistic expectations and being able to find the good in everything, nonetheless MGSV was the biggest disappointment of my entire life---bigger than any disappointment over my career or love life, which is really saying something. It's really bad, just like this thread. (sorry)

I mean MGSV was cross-gen, and the third act was never properly finished.

It was a really disappointing way to end the Metal Gear Solid franchise imo even though the gameplay and some of the cinematic was the best in the franchise. Also having snake as a silent protagonist was the icing on the cake for me, just all around a miserable unfocused experience.

Its the life of Pablo of Kojimas game catalogue

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I honestly forgot MGSV was a crossgen title.
I also forgot it came out 2 years into the generation.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It was cross gen, but an excellent cross gen game. The last gen version weren't to bad either.

Belthazar

What's even the point of this thread? There were plenty of bad cross-gen games in the first 2 years of this gen too, just like MGSV was when it came out.

Hey! I like their stories, they are wacky as hell but also know how to be cool when they want to get serious. I think they might have kinda the same appeal as Yakuza stories for me.

That said, yes! MGS V is by far the best one once you put the story aside, gameplay carried the game for me.
If all of Phsntom Pain wouldve been as good as Ground Zeroes, which actually had great level design and a decent amount of story in its mission, then V couldbr been the best MGS. As it stands though it's too unfinished, barebones, and lacking in all but it's gameplay. No base in Phantom Pain was close to as good as GZ which is just lame considering it was the main game.. Story and lack of cutscenes also was a major flaw. I'd say it's easily the weakest MGS.

Apocryphon

Fantastic engine and fantastic gameplay mechanics, but the story was weak and the game lacked the atmosphere found in previous games. It was unfinished and felt it.

I love the game but I found the premise and feel of Ground Zeros to be more interesting. A remake of the first MGS in that engine would have been incredible.

The most overrated game ever, yeah the rain looked good and the gameplay felt nice but the missions were all the same thing over and over again, quiet was one of the most embarrassing characters I've seen in a game and I've never seen a more lifeless open world in a game. You had to keep going back to the same couple of spots for missions and nothing made much sense.

Javthusiast

Banned
It is criminal Konami left this gameplay system to rot.

TPP and TLOUP2 are the only truly fantastic third person stealth games of the last decade+, just judging on gameplay alone.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We have yet to have a next gen experience like that.

header.jpg
Funny because it was available on PS3 too, damn crossgen games!

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This thread makes me want to call in air strikes and throw explosives at tanks. I played around 180 hours back when it came out. I’ve been meaning to play it again. I’ve wondered if it runs better on PS5.

RIPN2022

We have yet to have a next gen experience like that.

header.jpg
MGS V really felt like a next gen experience when I played it Christmas 2015.

Overall, 2015 was a great year for gaming. Dying Light, MGS V, Rainbow 6 Siege, Batman Arkham Knight, AC Syndicate, Mad Max, The Order 1886, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4.

2022 has been a strong second year for PS5/Series X/S, but COVID hitting launch windows really has taken the wind out of sails so to speak.

It’s a fantastic game with incredible fluidity and gameplay mechanics.

A lot of the main criticism seems to come from the games plot and “incompleteness” - even though Kojima himself has come out and said that MGSV is complete with its ending. The idea that MGSV is incomplete is a myth that unfortunately still exists. In due time, however, I feel that MGSV will have its own “MGS2 moment” in which it will take years for it to be truly appreciated for the masterpiece it is and how far ahead of its time it was in terms of its story. The themes of globalization, linguistic imperialism, and the role the English language has in “Englishizing” the world and it’s culture will have larger precedence and appreciation in the future.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It’s a fantastic game with incredible fluidity and gameplay mechanics.

A lot of the main criticism seems to come from the games plot and “incompleteness” - even though Kojima himself has come out and said that MGSV is complete with its ending. The idea that MGSV is incomplete is a myth that unfortunately still exists. In due time, however, I feel that MGSV will have its own “MGS2 moment” in which it will take years for it to be truly appreciated for the masterpiece it is and how far ahead of its time it was in terms of its story. The themes of globalization, linguistic imperialism, and the role the English language has in “Englishizing” the world and it’s culture will have larger precedence and appreciation in the future.
Well then Kojima fucked up because it feels incomplete.

Gun Animal

I mean MGSV was cross-gen, and the third act was never properly finished.

It was a really disappointing way to end the Metal Gear Solid franchise imo even though the gameplay and some of the cinematic was the best in the franchise. Also having snake as a silent protagonist was the icing on the cake for me, just all around a miserable unfocused experience.

Its the life of Pablo of Kojimas game catalogue
you take that back! life of pablo is a great album. 😩

Top Bottom