• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari 50 years Celebration game

ReBurn

Gold Member
WTF? Even CoD Black Ops has River Raid in the arcade section.... This is blasphemy.
I wish Activision would re-release their 2600 game collection like they did on PS1 way back when. I play it on my PS3 from time to time. Maybe Uncle Phil will bless once Activision comes home 🙏🙏

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
And? Somebody own it?

How is the performance in Tempest 2000?
The resolution? Graphical Modes?
Already ordered it on Xbox and unlocks at 11:00 pm tonight.

I'm sure it will be great as it's made by Digital Eclipse (who did the Cowabunga Collection). Haven't seen reviews yet.......which is odd.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I wish Activision would re-release their 2600 game collection like they did on PS1 way back when. I play it on my PS3 from time to time. Maybe Uncle Phil will bless once Activision comes home 🙏🙏
Lat one I think was on Game Boy Advance: 'Activision Anthology'

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Last edited:

Rayderism

Took a look through the collection.....there's a few games that are locked with a vague riddle on how to unlock them. Anyone know what games those are?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

The Atari 2600 was my first console, such good memories "Adventure" the Skyrim of my youth lol. The box art for 2600 games was epic I own a huge coffee table book that is all about the art for Atari. I will probably get this compilation.
I think you would like the stories. I have watched a couple and they have been great with the timeline.

Havoc2049

This package is great with all the artwork, interviews, print ads and commercials. I've played Tempest 2000, Cybermorph, Atari Karts, Club Drive, Miner 2049er (400/800) Yoomp! and Millipede (5200). From what I played so far the emulation is solid as well.

My Series X is running hot, running the 64-bits of T2K Melt-O-Vision Power!!!
rOFsrPb.png

Last edited:
Club Drive way ahead of it's time only mistake is using a car instead of a person. Emulators would crash running it now people can play it without having to buy a cat but the emulator they use still has many problems so even in this collection, they can't get it to run like the original release but at least the emulator doesn't crash. First open world driving racing platforming game with many multiplayer modes.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
This package is great with all the artwork, interviews, print ads and commercials. I've played Tempest 2000, Cybermorph, Atari Karts, Club Drive, Miner 2049er (400/800) Yoomp! and Millipede (5200). From what I played so far the emulation is solid as well.

My Series X is running hot, running the 64-bits of T2K Melt-O-Vision Power!!!
rOFsrPb.png
T2K is the reason I bought this. I elected to buy this for Switch so I could play it on the go but I'm going to have to buy it on a big kid console, too.

Or just dock my Switch I guess.

Last edited:

Agent X

I got my PS4 disc earlier today. I've toyed around with it for a few minutes. The emulation is OK on the surface, but is kind of sparse on features. I think the colors are off on a couple of the 2600 games that I tried. There also seems to be some control lag, or maybe I was a bit rusty today. I'll have a lot more time to play over the weekend, and make some comparisons with the same games on other compilations (on PS4 as well as other modern platforms).

The museum stuff, on the other hand, is outstanding! It's quite possibly the best historical archive of any classic game compilation, Atari or otherwise. They've collected a great deal of scanned documents and video clips, and thoughtfully arranged it into an interactive timeline of the company's history.

Also, I didn't receive the copy of Gravitar: Recharged that was supposed to be a bonus for preordering the game (from Best Buy). Their Web site says they will email it to me "when it's ready".

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Gonna try this when I get home. I am excited for good Jaguar emulation and I wonder if this will be modded to support any Jag game.

By the way, Tempest fans, Digital Eclipse is also planning a Llamasoft collection, which was leaked by the same filing that Atari 50 was and which Llamasoft recently reconfirmed on their forums.

Last edited:
Played Tempest a short bit. Seems ok. Experienced some slowdowns, maybe also present on the original Jaguar HW.
You can choose three display modes.
Original, which is native Resolution,
Full screen 4:3 and a stretch Mode to 16:9 witch is useless in my Opinion.
You can also apply a Crt Filter which looks good for me.
The rest is very well done. A cool idea combining these classic games with this awesome presented Storyline. Very cool!

ReBurn

Gold Member
Imagine designing and creating missile command and the company bonus you get is a free turkey. No wonder the guy left to start his own company.
No kidding. Once I pulled 36 hours straight implementing software features on the fly from inside a warehouse where we were doing an installation to keep the company from losing a $12 million contract and I got a handwritten certificate of appreciation. When I found out that the salesperson who promised stuff that didn't exist got a 6 figure commission after the customer gave their approval I quit.

Havoc2049

Club Drive way ahead of it's time only mistake is using a car instead of a person. Emulators would crash running it now people can play it without having to buy a cat but the emulator they use still has many problems so even in this collection, they can't get it to run like the original release but at least the emulator doesn't crash. First open world driving racing platforming game with many multiplayer modes.
Just curious what you think is wrong with Club Drive on the Atari 50 compilation? I'm playing on Xbox and besides a few features missing due to lack of the keypad, the emulation seems spot on to me.

Last edited:
Digital Eclipse have done a great job but I can’t help but feel a little disappointed and underwhelmed by the amount of Lynx and Jaguar games.

I know they likely ran into licensing issues, still, to have the likes of Chips Challenge, Blue Lightning, Chequered Flag , BattleMorph not on there is sad.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Its a really nice package, very interesting actually.
I just wish the Jaguar games, and other 3D games, could of been ran at a higher resolution and framerate. Tempest 2000 at 4k/60 would of meant buying this package just for that game would of been worth it imo.

Also that 'Fight for Life' Jaguar fighting game, its shit but seeing textured polygon fighters on Jag is pretty cool. Looks better graphically than Virtua Fighter on the 32X.

Stuart360

Digital Eclipse have done a great job but I can’t help but feel a little disappointed and underwhelmed by the amount of Lynx and Jaguar games.

I know they likely ran into licensing issues, still, to have the likes of Chips Challenge, Blue Lightning, Chequered Flag , BattleMorph not on there is sad.
Probably licending problems but i wouldnt be surprised if we got a 'Vol 2. release with more Jag games.

I would of easily paid $70+ for this if it had come with the full Jag catalogue.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Which version of Tempest is this? I hope it's the Nuon version since it' the best and the only one that can't be emulated.

Havoc2049

Which version of Tempest is this? I hope it's the Nuon version since it' the best and the only one that can't be emulated.
It's the best version of Tempest, Tempest 2000. Not sure who owns the corpse of VM Labs.

Tempest 2000>TxK>Tempest 4000>Tempest 3000

nkarafo

It's the best version of Tempest, Tempest 2000. Not sure who owns the corpse of VM Labs.

Tempest 2000>TxK>Tempest 4000>Tempest 3000

Nah. These games are for the psychedelic experience and 3000 has the best visuals and music for this.

Just curious what you think is wrong with Club Drive on the Atari 50 compilation? I'm playing on Xbox and besides a few features missing due to lack of the keypad, the emulation seems spot on to me.

There's quite a bit missing, the game runs pretty bad in some tracks and lack of numpad removes some core gameplay features and the ability to change cameras, Some objects don't even render.

anthony2690

Banned
It's a huge shame I don't really care for Atari games, as the museum and huge collection of games is insane.

I'd love to see something like this for sega.

With master system, gamegear, megadrive, sega cd, Saturn & Dreamcast games & the museum stuff, videos/adverts etc

It would be incredible!

Edit: most the Atari stuff is before my time, I had a Jaguar with cybermorph for a whole day before taking it back, I really really hated that game so much 🤣

Last edited:

Impotaku

Picked this up today on switch, not really fair to class this just as another retro game compilation it's way more than that i'd class it as an interactive museum where you can also try the games out. The amount of work they have put in sets the bar on what retro collections should try to do. While i'd have loved to see more games in the collection i'm kind of spoilt as 10 mins away is a pay once freeplay arcade where you can play hundreds of classics including pretty much everything atari had. I bought this more for the museum history side.

Bonus point that they made sure to try and give a decent replication of the originals the actually non shit scanlines and bezel borders are a great touch as is the vector glow while no tv can really replicate the intense glow of a real vector monitor it's a nice attempt.

Yeah the green lady in Cybermorph is still annoying, not helped by the fact I’m absolutely shit at the game. Have a real soft spot for the Jag tho and Atari Karts is better than what I thought it would be.

Top Bottom