• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari announces Asterix at the Olympic Games

Capndrake

I'll say it right away: The movie this is based on was announced 2 years ago, so this is not a ripoff of Mario & Sonic.

LYON, FRANCE – 19 July 2007 – Atari today announced details of the forthcoming video game Asterix at the Olympic Games for PlayStation®2, Nintendo DS™, Wii and PC scheduled for release this coming winter. The game of the upcoming live action feature film of the same name, Asterix at the Olympic Games blends live action elements from the film with high quality computer generated and video game animation to deliver fans an extraordinary and unique Asterix experience.

Developed by Etranges Libellules in close collaboration with Asterix licensor Les Editions Albert René and with film production company La Petite Reine, the game follows Asterix, Obelix and the faithful Dogmatix as they travel to Greece in aid of their lovesick friend Alafolix. Their journey takes them to the Olympic Games where they find themselves pitted against the athletic might of the Roman Empire. Adventure and hilarity ensue as Asterix and friends compete to get the better of Brutus, his muscle-bound champion, and their long-time nemesis, Julius Caesar himself.

“Over the last decade Atari has sold more than three million Asterix video games in Europe, and it’s a joy to be able to continue to build on this great legacy with something this brilliantly original,” said Cyril Voiron, Marketing Director, Atari Europe. “The fusion of elements from the film with original CGI and a unique storyline complementing the film, combined with Etrange Libellule’s know-how in consistently delivering high quality and extremely fun games, makes Asterix at the Olympic Games a must-have Christmas title.”

In Asterix at the Olympic Games players can choose from three playable characters, Asterix, Obelix and Dogmatix, in an original story which takes a parallel course to the film and the comic book. Our heroes must stop Brutus who has opened the gates between the worlds of the book, the film and the game while still finding time and energy to triumph at the Olympic Games themselves. The mini-game mode lets players compete in Olympic challenges with their chosen character, while two-player multiplayer lets friends go head to head in a series of hilarious contests.

The live action feature film has the biggest production budget of any film in European cinema history and is scheduled for release across Europe in early 2008. Asterix at the Olympic Games for PlayStation®2, Nintendo DS™, Wii and PC is scheduled for release this coming winter.
Same guys who made Asterix & Obelix XXL 1 and 2 (The latter of which is that game which is loaded with video game references), it could turn out well.

Source: Go Nintendo

8bit

Knows the Score
The Asterix video game video game isn't that bad, it just needed lightly tighter gameplay.

Capndrake

SNES had Asterix and Asterix & Obelix. Sega had Asterix and the Great Rescue and Asterix and the Power of the Gods.

Graphics look very similar to XXL 2. *waits for the Mario Roman to reappear*

The Asterix arcade game was stunning, it nailed the humour of the books perfectly. The franchise could be pretty big if they actually invested time and money into it.

vesp

is there really a market for olympic games? especially, videogame mascot olympic games?

I cant remember playing anything past like super track and field in the genre.

The past PS2 games were actually good, not saying they were outstanding games but they were good.
The Sega Master System game was awesome though.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Anyone asking about the Asterix movies; the one that's best is the one called something like "the twelve tasks of Asterix" or something...

Salazar

Asterix and Obelix seems to deserve better than an Olympics game - the comics are completely brilliant, at least up until the death of one of the team (can't remember if Uderzo or Goscinny died, but the one who carried on afterwards took it kind of downhill). THIS would have been a kickass choice for Bioware's DS RPG.

We're getting closer to a Tintin game. I can feel it.

deepred

Brobzoid said:
Anyone asking about the Asterix movies; the one that's best is the one called something like "the twelve tasks of Asterix" or something...

You're talking about an animated movie. This one was indeed great, because it was not based on a comic book, it was an original story and a great one. The previous ones were really disappointing, using dated animation.

Now about the live action movies : the first one was quite bad, very faithful to the original material but probably a bit too "scholar". The second one was a huge success, it was directed by a famous French comedian and full of popular actors, but I think it was not very faithful to the Asterix's universe, a bit too "modern". So let's hope the third one will be a good balance between the first two.

deepred

Salazar said:
Asterix and Obelix seems to deserve better than an Olympics game - the comics are completely brilliant, at least up until the death of one of the team (can't remember if Uderzo or Goscinny died, but the one who carried on afterwards took it kind of downhill). THIS would have been a kickass choice for Bioware's DS RPG.

Goscinny (the writer) died. Uderzo carried on, but unfortunately he used to be the drawer, and he's not a very good storyteller, well, not as good as Goscinny... :\

0OoO0

Does anyone remember the Asterix and Obelix game for the PS2 that had parodies of other videogames such as Pac-Man, Super Mario Sunshine, Tomb Raider, Soul Calibur, etc What happen to it? Was it ever released?

Koren

Stealth Editor said:
What the hell. Obélix cant participate in the Olympics, he's more doped up than Barry Bonds
Not sure about the movie, but that's one of the main themes of the original book...

deepred said:
The second one was a huge success, it was directed by a famous French comedian and full of popular actors, but I think it was not very faithful to the Asterix's universe, a bit too "modern".
Actually, I found the second one more faithful to the ideas behind the books (not to the books themselves, but books were written tens of years ago, so I think you shouldn't stick too slosely to the books themselves if you want to capture the feeling).

0OoO0 said:
Does anyone remember the Asterix and Obelix game for the PS2 that had parodies of other videogames such as Pac-Man, Super Mario Sunshine, Tomb Raider, Soul Calibur, etc What happen to it? Was it ever released?
It's XXL 2, no ? (yes, it was released, if I'm not mistaken)

well as characters:

Atserix and Obelix>>>>>>>Sonic and Mario

flip that for games though, well mario at least, sonic has been brutalised

deepred said:
You're talking about an animated movie. This one was indeed great, because it was not based on a comic book, it was an original story and a great one. The previous ones were really disappointing, using dated animation.

Now about the live action movies : the first one was quite bad, very faithful to the original material but probably a bit too "scholar". The second one was a huge success, it was directed by a famous French comedian and full of popular actors, but I think it was not very faithful to the Asterix's universe, a bit too "modern". So let's hope the third one will be a good balance between the first two.
I thought the first movie was really really good. But I was also, 15 or so, and Roberto Benigni and Gerard Depardieu on the same movie was too much awesomeness for my young mind to handle.
It was also fun to tell which books they based the script on.
Since we're talking about Asterix, what was the name of the book that portraied them in a realistic manner? It was a parody of some sorts with one of the authors in the book as a character.

Has anyone here actually played XXL2? Because I swear to god, that game is actually impossible to find. Even Bittorrent says no.

Splatt

Hmmm, this reminds me of an old Asterix party type of game for PS1. It was pretty good and me and my friends actually enjoyed it.

Hammer24

Banned
Capndrake said:
Atari today announced details of the forthcoming video game Asterix at the Olympic Games for PlayStation®2, Nintendo DS™, Wii and PC scheduled for release this coming winter.

"Next Gen" truly am fail.

Nexus Zero said:
Has anyone here actually played XXL2? Because I swear to god, that game is actually impossible to find. Even Bittorrent says no.
I did, I thought it was a pretty decent game if you were a fan of the license. Not an outstanding game but it was good enough a 5/10 or 6/10 on my book.

MMaRsu

Banned
this asterix game was the best game ever

e340_1.JPG

KLoNe

Banned
lol, those screens look good actually. God, Olympics games the new craze? Surely it's not the early 90's again? :lol

ram

Nexus Zero said:

i got it - its ok - but its really boring for the most part - beautiful visuals on ps2 too.

Top Bottom