• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Raiza announced for PS4

They are really focused on getting the right thick ratio of the protagonist's thighs lol, too much enthusiasm I can't make a joke about it. I wanna cheer them on now.
I love it when game developers are unapologetic. When they get up and say "hometown and life", I can't help but cheer on a man who has not been browbeaten by modern feminism to hate his sexuality. If someone in the West said this, there'd be a Twitter shitstorm and they'd probably end up fired, basically for saying what the rest of us are thinking. I love that Japanese game developers can basically just stand up and proudly proclaim, "My genitals work, mother fucker, and they hang low and to the left."

Reactions: Isa

sublimit

Banned
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout coming to North America on October 29, Europe on November 1

Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout is coming to PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC in North America on October 29 and Europe on November 1, publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Gust announced.

A $99.99 limited edition of the game including a copy of the game, official art book, key chain, art cards, cloth poster, and collector’s box is available for pre-order through the NIS America Online Store for PlayStation 4 and Switch.

In Japan, Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout is due out for PlayStation 4 and Switch on September 26.

sublimit

Banned
Sorry for the triple post but some new information came up from Koei about the characters and the new “Gathering Point Synthesis” system:

Love the premium box art:
Atelier-Ryza-Ever-Darkness-and-the-Secret-Hideout_2019_06-27-19_001.jpg

And i'm also liking how much more detailed and lively the world looks this time around.Previous Atelier Towns looked kinda empty.
Atelier-Ryza-Ever-Darkness-and-the-Secret-Hideout_2019_06-27-19_021.jpg

MagnesG

Banned
Sorry for the triple post but some new information came up from Koei about the characters and the new “Gathering Point Synthesis” system:

Love the premium box art:
Atelier-Ryza-Ever-Darkness-and-the-Secret-Hideout_2019_06-27-19_001.jpg

And i'm also liking how much more detailed and lively the world looks this time around.Previous Atelier Towns looked kinda empty.
Atelier-Ryza-Ever-Darkness-and-the-Secret-Hideout_2019_06-27-19_021.jpg
Dat knee-high stockings. Two layers!? (✯ᴗ✯)

Psajdak

Banned
Considering I don't skip games in series, until they release all of the old games with english text, I guess I will never play any later Atelier title.

Ulysses 31

Considering I don't skip games in series, until they release all of the old games with english text, I guess I will never play any later Atelier title.
Strange reason not to play a game that looks interesting to you. :unsure: :unsure::unsure:

To my knowledge, most of the games aren't even directly related.

So you won't touch the Dragon Quest games either? :lollipop_confounded::lollipop_confounded::lollipop_confounded:

gela94

Why does it feel like almost every japanese game nowadays is some kind of harem/fetish kind of bullshit and I know the game has guy characters but clearly the female characters are the mainattraction. What happened to we know that alooot of woman play our games :messenger_weary:

Why does it feel like almost every japanese game nowadays is some kind of harem/fetish kind of bullshit and I know the game has guy characters but clearly the female characters are the mainattraction. What happened to we know that alooot of woman play our games :messenger_weary:
What are you talking about? Atelier is one of the few RPGs with a focus on female protagonists, it is their main differentiator.
And what harem? The main character is a girl. Unless you think she is gay?

Seriously why do people complain when there isn't enough female characters in games, and then complain when females are the focus?

Yes, the girls are pretty, but so are the men in the same game. Pretty characters is how Asia likes it.

MagnesG

Banned
Atelier is popular for playing as cute girl protagonist with kawaii banter. Clearly targeted for female audience. Seems like you haven’t played the series yet judging?

gela94

Atelier is popular for playing as cute girl protagonist with kawaii banter. Clearly targeted for female audience. Seems like you haven’t played the series yet judging?

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I played Atelier Rorona and Totori also some of the older ones like Atelier Marie, what I am saying is that this series and alot of other jap. games moving more into the direction I mentioned .. . I don't see your CLEARLY targeted to woman prove . . .cute female characters who are saying cute things doesn't equal game for woman. I liked the games in the past but to me it seems they changed target audiences and that is just my personal opinion.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm sorry to disappoint you but I played Atelier Rorona and Totori also some of the older ones like Atelier Marie, what I am saying is that this series and alot of other jap. games moving more into the direction I mentioned .. . I don't see your CLEARLY targeted to woman prove . . .cute female characters who are saying cute things doesn't equal game for woman. I liked the games in the past but to me it seems they changed target audiences and that is just my personal opinion.

You are the one who made the claim, mate. Burden of proof is on you.

MagnesG

Banned
Uhh, so what's difference between then and now? Harem? Actually this is the first time I'd heard of this opinion. Mind elaborating that? Also tell me about that other jap games. It's okay take your time, I have a lot of time to waste here. Now this is interesting.

Also, cute things doesn't equal women, yes - men like it too. Doesn't stop from women dominating the fanbase. Believe it or not, dat perfect thigh ratio was for females who love cute girls lol. Not some hideous monsters like the female characters in MK11. Those females, girl and women alike, go from borderline yuri worship to fangirling whenever they see something cute, no discrimination at all. It's why you see some female idol groups from Japan and South Korea being heavily skewed towards female fanbase. It's why you see some people cosplaying for female characters, artist made fanarts etc. It's not weird you know, they just love it. If you had played and still didn't realized that..

I guess you had some fun at least.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Atelier games are marketed towards women and are mostly for fujos. Girls also like cute girls. Crazy right?

Isa

I know the previous games in the series were totally fine, as I have them and enjoyed them. But what do you guys think the odds are of the PS4 edition getting censored in some way? I'm just trying to determine where I'm going to get the collector's edition is all and I'd rather not be surprised later. Thanks in advance for the input. I think this new game looks amazing btw, a big improvement for them.

MagnesG

Banned
I know the previous games in the series were totally fine, as I have them and enjoyed them. But what do you guys think the odds are of the PS4 edition getting censored in some way? I'm just trying to determine where I'm going to get the collector's edition is all and I'd rather not be surprised later. Thanks in advance for the input. I think this new game looks amazing btw, a big improvement for them.
Publishers would always gonna have some failsafe measurements whenever PS4 version is in question. Though I don't think Atelier is that famous for sexy characters, well maybe some lewd banters gone wrong but that's it. I will say the chance for censorship is low maybe? For now it maybe okay but we can't guess exactly what is in the content, offensive or inoffensive. Maybe the lolis would get banned lol.

You can always bought it on Switch though, or PC.

gela94

I think he's trolling?
The emoticon gave it away.
I'm not trolling, I'm serious and I'm also not a he.
You are the one who made the claim, mate. Burden of proof is on you.

What are you talking about? Atelier is one of the few RPGs with a focus on female protagonists, it is their main differentiator.
And what harem? The main character is a girl. Unless you think she is gay?

Seriously why do people complain when there isn't enough female characters in games, and then complain when females are the focus?

Yes, the girls are pretty, but so are the men in the same game. Pretty characters is how Asia likes it.

Female Mainprotagonist doesn't automatically mean it's for woman, at least in my opinion. I meant Harem insofar the game has alot of cute and sexy girls with all this typical stereotypes, the naive cute one as mainchara, the loud,brash one, the older sexy one, it just feels like it's the same template then games like tokimeki or crescendo, you know this type of dating sims that are mostly for boys (even though in my younger years I played alot of tokimeki). And please I'm not saying that there shouldn't be pretty or sexy characters, in general I myself like cute, sexy characters. Also because it is alot of girls it gives off some innocent lesbian vibe aka fanservice like for example:
15-meruru_2300.jpg
or or
images
but hey that is just my opinion.

gela94

Uhh, so what's difference between then and now? Harem? Actually this is the first time I'd heard of this opinion. Mind elaborating that? Also tell me about that other jap games. It's okay take your time, I have a lot of time to waste here. Now this is interesting.

Also, cute things doesn't equal women, yes - men like it too. Doesn't stop from women dominating the fanbase. Believe it or not, dat perfect thigh ratio was for females who love cute girls lol. Not some hideous monsters like the female characters in MK11. Those females, girl and women alike, go from borderline yuri worship to fangirling whenever they see something cute, no discrimination at all. It's why you see some female idol groups from Japan and South Korea being heavily skewed towards female fanbase. It's why you see some people cosplaying for female characters, artist made fanarts etc. It's not weird you know, they just love it. If you had played and still didn't realized that..

I guess you had some fun at least.

See my answer to DeltaPolarBearand also I'm aware of cosplay (even though nowadays there is also often money involved) and how alot of girls are into yuri and stuff and there is the possibility that with age I changed my taste in games. It just feels to me (I know not an argument) like there was a slight shift from innocent cute to more fanservice geared toward the otaku crowd. It's also possible that I didn't notices these things as much as now, thanx Anita :messenger_astonished:(please be aware that this is a joke, because I strongly dislike her). Like I said I don't really have any proof its just a feelling that I got when I started playing some of the newer games and disliked it, so maybe I just grew out of this games.
And in regards to other games, well I actually wanted to make a thread for this, which I will . .I'm just also kinda lazy :pie_grinning_sweat:
And all of this is my personal taste and opinion, I don't want censorship or no more cute, sexy girls, so I hope this make slightly any sense :pie_gsquint:

MagnesG

Banned
See my answer to DeltaPolarBearand also I'm aware of cosplay (even though nowadays there is also often money involved) and how alot of girls are into yuri and stuff and there is the possibility that with age I changed my taste in games. It just feels to me (I know not an argument) like there was a slight shift from innocent cute to more fanservice geared toward the otaku crowd. It's also possible that I didn't notices these things as much as now, thanx Anita :messenger_astonished:(please be aware that this is a joke, because I strongly dislike her). Like I said I don't really have any proof its just a feelling that I got when I started playing some of the newer games and disliked it, so maybe I just grew out of this games.
And in regards to other games, well I actually wanted to make a thread for this, which I will . .I'm just also kinda lazy :pie_grinning_sweat:
And all of this is my personal taste and opinion, I don't want censorship or no more cute, sexy girls, so I hope this make slightly any sense :pie_gsquint:
I kinda get the gist of it, though I'm not completely sure what do you want. Less exposure of fanservice maybe? I know that can kinda be seen as cheap.

My thoughts:
- Atelier Raiza is the first entry to create such a bombastic protagonist, previous ones have far more innocent design.
- Series had been stagnating and needing fresh blood of fanbase, aka fanservice lovers, males and females.
- Still confident though they will maintain the original attractions of the game, they're not alienating their fanbase.
- Can see a similar situation in latest Tales, they noticed a surge of female fanbase, starting from Berseria.
- Tales devs try to include cute things and less gory monsters, I guess they get that kind of conviction from their data collected.

My conclusion is one way or another you're gonna see some change that you dislike after some time (see the notorious FE franchise for example), doesn't mean the series will loss their identity though. Also, I kinda get the saying of "once in a while you gonna have to step up the game, if you know what I'm saying. It will happen. Though I'm personally I'm not seeing any of these as a change. I mean people may gonna like the characters, but at the end they still gonna stay for the core gameplay and banter, fanservice is just an added fluff. I can't even finish a single Atelier because of how sugary was everything - I just melt. I'm aware of the series only because I had a friend who's a fan.

Isa

Publishers would always gonna have some failsafe measurements whenever PS4 version is in question. Though I don't think Atelier is that famous for sexy characters, well maybe some lewd banters gone wrong but that's it. I will say the chance for censorship is low maybe? For now it maybe okay but we can't guess exactly what is in the content, offensive or inoffensive. Maybe the lolis would get banned lol.

You can always bought it on Switch though, or PC.

Thanks for your input. I've gotten my collection on PS systems since I started back on PS3, and I'd prefer a higher resolution and a copy to match all the others. I'm really anticipating this new one, I think they are going big with it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
My thoughts:
- Atelier Raiza is the first entry to create such a bombastic protagonist, previous ones have far more innocent design.
- Series had been stagnating and needing fresh blood of fanbase, aka fanservice lovers, males and females.
They are just hotpants calm down. While other protagonists have been toned down comparably (outside Platchia) previous party members were either attractive, cute or hot guys. Fanservice has always been a thing.
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Jason Schrier is that you? The series isn't Senran Kagura, ffs.

Character shows some thigh, oh lawd it's becoming a harem/fetish!

Last thing we need is Japanese games becoming the soulless husks western games have become.

MagnesG

Banned
They are just hotpants calm down. While other protagonists have been toned down comparably (outside Platchia) previous party members were either attractive, cute or hot guys. Fanservice has always been a thing.
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
I guess they're not so innocent after all, damn.
I'm always assuming that they do have some lewd scene 1-2 times per entry - that's what I'm told. It's there but not much. Is that true? I'm gonna check my facts lol
I'm also seeing their effort to make the protagonist more attractive, fanservice-y or not.

Also, can you at least resize the images next time, that was borderline nsfw. Whew.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
There are only 2 women in the main cast. What the fuck.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh no, a bathing scene. How ever will we move on from this horrible sight? /s

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no, a bathing scene. How ever will we move on from this horrible sight? /s
tumblr_mkv7ovilc21rjenv2o6_400.gif

Curious if the content justifies the rating bump.
Atelier Ayesha had a T rating.
Pegi is the UK rating board right? I'm guessing that is the equivalent of PEGI 16.

It got that rating because GROWN MEN drink and ONE smokes. LMAO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fushitsusha

Banned
It's just some obese thighs, who gives a shit. I mean this in many ways, you who purchase this for some thighs, and you pussies whining about the damn thighs.

It's pathetic when games gets attention for something so unremarkable.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It's just some obese thighs, who gives a shit. I mean this in many ways, you who purchase this for some thighs, and you pussies whining about the damn thighs.

It's pathetic when games gets attention for something so unremarkable.
So, how was your day?

Top Bottom