• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Athletes protest Russia's anti-gay laws at World Track & Field finals in Moscow

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.24horas.cl/deportes/mas-deportes/atletas-rusas-desafian-ley-antigay-y-se-besan-en-el-podio-798209

besorusas.jpg

Tonight Kseniya Ryzhova and Tatyana Firova, two members of Russia's women's 4x400 relay team, defied their nation's ban on "homosexual propaganda" when they kissed on the podium during the presentation ceremony for their gold medals at the World Track & Field Championships in Moscow.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/art-1288590878154.html

Finnish Minister of Culture & Sports Paavo Arhinmäki waved a rainbow flag this afternoon during the World Track & Field Championships in Moscow. The above-linked article is in Finnish.

Swedish high jumper Emma Green Tregaro forced to change her rainbow nails to 'respect' code of conduct

095777-emma-green-tregaro-and-rainbow-nails.jpg

Swedish officials told the 28-year-old her rainbow gesture, which brought international attention as a protest against Russia's new law against gay "propaganda," could be a violation of the competition's code of conduct. She said the Swedish track and field federation asked her to "please respect the rules" and change the colour of her nails. "So I decided to paint them red instead, for love," she said. Green Tregaro said she was surprised the strong reaction to her subtle criticism of Russian law. "It was harder to not paint them in the rainbow than it was to choose to paint them," she said.

Tip of the iceberg before the Olympics?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If no Olympic figure skater does a pride-themed routine in a rainbow costume to Born This Way, it'll be a tremendous missed opportunity

Kraftwerk

I don't care when people say that athletes shouldn't bring politics and personal views to the Olympics. I truly commend what these athletes are doing. I hope to see more of it during the Olympics. Scumbag IOC, I guess bribes & human right violations don't break code of conducts?

Fuck you IOC, Putin, and all the other bigots.

Does Russia actually care about female x female? Generally it seems like homophobic sentiment primarily applies to men.

Awesome stuff. Can't help but worry about those two Russian athletes, though. I wonder if Russia will crack down on them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Does Russia actually care about female x female? Generally it seems like homophobic sentiment primarily applies to men.

They probably still care and this rebellious demonstration deserves tons of props, but I know what you're saying and you're right.

Derwind

The more Russia sandbags people expressing themselves, the louder the noise squeaking out will be. The more brave people speak out, the harder it will be for Russia to kill the conversation with their anti-gay laws.

Lets keep the conversation going!!!!

Peru

Quick. What does tAtU think?

Not gonna get us, not gonna get us, they're not gonna get us... could be a good signal to send to the russian government.

On the serious side they sent a letter of support to Russian gay pride parade a few years back.

CDX

good for them I hope more continue to do the same.

I don't care when people say that athletes shouldn't bring politics and personal views to the Olympics. I truly commend what these athletes are doing. I hope to see more of it during the Olympics. Scumbag IOC, I guess bribes & human right violations don't break code of conducts?

Massive respect to the people that speak up against this law. Particularly the two Russians. I do not believe I would have been brave enough to do this.

Dead Man

They made her change her nail polish? When a country has laws that be defied with nail polish to the pint of being asked to change it by a sporting body, you know something is fucked.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Putin is just a tool. It's amazing how many gaffers used to unironically admire those BS photoshoots.

Completely agree. And I really find it disingenuous and sad to have to call LGBT rights a 'political' issue.

shira

Why the hell would you want to piss of Putin. He can just lock you up in some Siberian prison and you would never be heard from again.

Sayter

Why the hell would you want to piss of Putin. He can just lock you up in some Siberian prison and you would never be heard from again.

Naw. He gives them a 30 minute head start before he starts the hunt for the greatest game of all. That's the Russian way, baby!

Derwind

They're completely aware of the risks involved with expressing themselves and showing even the slightest pride, its been made painfully clear that its not tolerated in Russia. They're making a statement, one of freedom of expression, they're brave to do so in any event. I for one am glad that there are people out there willing to rise up and make a stand. Better than any of use armchair debating on these forums.

R.I.P

Lots of respect for this, it's great to see that the athletes won't stay quiet about Russia's backwards law. Hope we see more!

The kiss at the podium is significantly stronger than the one after the completion of the race. They knew what they were doing. And good for them.

Russian athlete denies kiss with relay partner was in protest at anti-gay law

When two Russian athletes locked lips after taking gold at the World Athletics Championships, speculation was rife that the pair were protesting against the country's recently passed anti-gay law.

After narrowly edging out the US team to win the 400m relay at Moscow's Luzhniki stadium on Saturday, Ksenia Ryzhova and Yulia Guschina celebrated their victory with a lingering kiss. They kissed again on the podium as their two teammates looked on.

But in her first comment on the incident, Ryzhova told the Guardian on Monday that the kiss was not a political statement and had nothing to do with the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.

"It was just happiness for our team," which has trained together for many years, Ryzhova said on Monday. She declined to comment on her attitude toward LGBT rights.

"If people want to write all sorts of dirt about us, they should at least know that Yulia and I are both married," she added.

Although the former Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev was famous for kissing other leaders on the lips, including men, such platonic kissing is not a common occurrence in modern Russia.

The World Athletics Championships were widely seen as a trial run for next year's Winter Olympics in Sochi, where Russian officials have repeatedly said that authorities will enforce the law against "gay propaganda".

A growing international backlash against the legislation has led to a series of protests and calls for Russia to be stripped of the Sochi games.

The two-time Olympic gold medalist Yelena Isinbayeva defended the legislation after she won the pole vault at the championships, saying two Swedish competitors who painted their fingernails with rainbows in support of LGBT rights were being disrespectful to Russia.

"We consider ourselves like normal, standard people, we just live boys with women, girls with boys … it comes from the history," Isinbayeva said in English on Thursday.

But she backtracked from her comments in a statement on Friday, saying she opposes discrimination against gay people and "may have been misunderstood" due to her imperfect English.

On Tuesday, the US runner Nick Symmonds became the first international athlete to denounce the anti-gay law while in Russia, dedicating his silver medal in the 800m to his gay and lesbian friends back home and calling for LGBT equality.

Russia's sports minister, Vitaly Mutko, said at the weekend that the law does not violate any rights and called worries that it would infringe upon the freedoms of athletes and spectators "overblown," the state R-Sport news agency reported.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/19/russian-athlete-kiss-protest-anti-gay-law

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
this was all over reddit as well and apparently 2 girls kissing to celebrate victory is non sexual and standard fare in russia and they weren't protesting shit.

I didn't research it, because I don't know how to google '2 russian girls kissing' and not get in trouble at my job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom