• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

Minsc

Gold Member
RavenFox said:
There are times when 1 gig does become a bottleneck. Depends on the game and your monitor max res + AA etc.

edit:beaten like a crack bitch

Yea, but those times are generally few and extremely far between (not to mention they also require high levels of AA). That and as I refuted earlier, 5760x1080 isn't a typical resolution.

SapientWolf said:
Is it a good idea to stick with the 10.1s? I've been hearing mixed feedback on the new 10.3s.

No problems here either. There's some serious improvements between 10.1 and 10.3 drivers too. Most games will see a 5% speed increase, up to 20% in some cases with DiRT 2.

I am still using the 9.12 drivers for my 5870 am I missing some huge features by not getting new drivers? it seems to run fine right now.

Mrbob

You might see the 5850 under 200 by this fall or its replacement..maybe.

The 5850 at 299 is already a better price to performance piece than the GTX 470, so I dunno if we'll see a drastic price cut anytime soon.

The 5830 is around 250...that one might get to 150 by fall.

I bought my GTX260 last fall for around 120 after discounts. I might stick with it for awhile.

Mrbob

Lkr said:
we really need a new price/performance king like the 8800gt for us on a tight budget.

We might see it this fall when ATI refreshes their line. Hopefully Nvidia gets their stuff back in gear too. Completely disappointed with the price to performance of the 470 and 480...I've stayed mostly Nvidia outside of the 9800 PRO back in the day. I think I'm going back ATI this holiday season.

Dash

I'm so torn right now. I really want a new video card for the summer, but I have a feeling I'll be kicking myself if I buy a 5870 right now and ATI's fall refresh turns out to be 8800 GT-levels of awesomeness >_>;.

Lkr

Dash said:
I'm so torn right now. I really want a new video card for the summer, but I have a feeling I'll be kicking myself if I buy a 5870 right now and ATI's fall refresh turns out to be 8800 GT-levels of awesomeness >_>;.
thats my problem. i'm stuck on a gts 250 so a monitor upgrade will hurt me big time

Jin34

Hardware Canucks said:
Usually the Toxic name brings with it large clock speed increases and unfortunately, the HD 5870 version seems to buck that trend. Granted, a 75Mhz increase in core speed is impressive but we know many people were hoping to see at least 950Mhz out of this card. That wasn’t meant to be due to the fact that it seems more and more of ATI’s board partners are reporting poor overclocking potential on newer batches of chips.

As many users have been experiencing with “late model” HD 5870 cards, overclocking on this particular model wasn’t exactly what one would call easy. Pushing the core to 972Mhz isn’t bad per se but considering the vocal number of people talking about 1Ghz-clocked HD 5870, we’re going to tell you not to get your hopes up. We didn’t have an issue pushing the core to 1.01Ghz but stability was non-existent.

This is something I've been noticing with all the reviews of the latest custom 5870 cards, that they cant seem to overclock like the first batches. This doesn't seem to make sense to me, I would have thought later revisions would have better OC potential. So what's going on?

Hardware Canucks review of the Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870

Top Bottom