• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

Minsc said:
Well, when I say my case, I guess I mean in the future sense, still waiting for Windows 7 to release to order. I'll be ordering one of the Qmicra 2 cases, which are 14 3/8" long.

Oh ok..yeah those things are HUGE you can fit a damn 5870x2 in there!

Ettie

pestul said:
Anyone have experience with newer hardware in older large ATX cases (say circa 2003). I'm looking to upgrade all my hardware but I'd like to keep my large Chenming 601 Aluminum. I already know I can fit any card in there I want if I remove the lower HDD bay.

601AE_layout.jpg

I have a very similar antec case, using a 4870 with the fan and heatpipe with no probs. HD bay is out though. P43 Mobo and fan for E8400 fit fine as well.

Zyzyxxz

when will we see some benchmarks?

Everything is focusing on the 5870 right now.

The 5850 is where its gonna be at! At $259 MSRP Nvidia is gonna have to really start dropping prices.

Dennis

Banned
SapientWolf said:
There's a caveat. Those are simulated. No one has a real 5850 yet.
That is true - numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.

Here is a (simulated) 5850 Crossfire benchmark.

clearsky_1920_1200.gif

Zyzyxxz

Man if the real 5850 can give the GTX 285 a good run for its money that would be so great!

The cheapest GTX 285 is on Newegg for $295 and that's after a rebate while the 5850 most likely use less power and generate less heat.

Kevin

marsomega said:
Think you're wrong actually. That is not the 5870X2 with better cooling. That is the 5850X2.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/ati-radeon-hd-5870-x2-images-surface/

What a pile of crap! I just spent $300 updating my computer with a midtower Cooler Master case and 680 watt power supply and this thing is huge on my desk. I bought it because I was anticipating this card and now I find out that I probably won't even be able to fit it into my case because the thing is a monster will multiple fans. No wonder why PC gaming is nearly dead and the price will probably be $600 or more. I think I'm done with PC gaming if this is indeed the case. I'll probably just stick with console gaming. Can't afford PC gaming anymore.

Zyzyxxz

Kevin said:
What a pile of crap! I just spent $300 updating my computer with a midtower Cooler Master case and 680 watt power supply and this thing is huge on my desk. I bought it because I was anticipating this card and now I find out that I probably won't even be able to fit it into my case because the thing is a monster will multiple fans. No wonder why PC gaming is nearly dead and the price will probably be $600 or more. I think I'm done with PC gaming if this is indeed the case. I'll probably just stick with console gaming. Can't afford PC gaming anymore.

Or you could have been smart and waited for some real details. It's not like PC parts get more expensive so you could have bought your preparatory parts later with no price-risk factor.

What exactly did you spend $300 on? Can't you just mod the case, do some cutting and slap it in anywya?

Firestorm

Kevin said:
Why didn't you not do that? My $215 CAD card is doing just fine beating the crap out of my 360 and PS3 in visual quality inside my $53 case with a $60 PSU.

Kevin said:

Blame PC gaming for your own impatience? Right :lol

Kevin

Zyzyxxz said:
Or you could have been smart and waited for some real details. It's not like PC parts get more expensive so you could have bought your preparatory parts later with no price-risk factor.

What exactly did you spend $300 on? Can't you just mod the case, do some cutting and slap it in anywya?

I bought these pieces when I updated my system:

Case:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026FCI2U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Power Supply:
680 watt corsair power supply (can't find link)

Creative Sound Blaster:
X-Fi Gamer (tiger direct)

I got really good deals on this hardware but my complaint is primarily that the card is so big. I think it's also going to be incredibly expensive. I remember getting the ATi Rage Fury 128mb for about $150 when it was top on the line. I just think PC gaming is getting ridiculous with the pricing, power requirements and card sizes.

Also, the reason why I bought the hardware early was because I was initially going to get a Geforce 295 but then they started talking about the next cards coming out the following month so I decided to wait.

Ceebs

pestul said:
Anyone have experience with newer hardware in older large ATX cases (say circa 2003). I'm looking to upgrade all my hardware but I'd like to keep my large Chenming 601 Aluminum. I already know I can fit any card in there I want if I remove the lower HDD bay.

601AE_layout.jpg
I have this exact case. The only thing I have had to do was drill a new mount hole or two for the motherboard I have since I had a few holes that did not line up. My 4870 fits with room to spare, and if you do end up with a card that is just way to big, that bottom HDD bay holder/tray could be cut out pretty easily to give you the full length of the case. This case is going on almost 10 years for me and has been used in every rig I have built in that time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Have there been any comparisons between the 5870 1GB model and the 2GB model? Does the extra memory really help in many games?

I'll definitely be picking up a 5870 as soon as I can get it for $300 or less.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kevin said:

Because you need a 5870 to play PC games? My 4870 does a pretty good job with most games at 1920x1200 and it costs like $150 now. If you are even looking at the 5870 then you are an enthusiast and as an enthusiast you should be able to realize how stupid your post sounds.

Arcipello

Kevin said:
I bought these pieces when I updated my system:

Case:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026FCI2U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Power Supply:
680 watt corsair power supply (can't find link)

Creative Sound Blaster:

I got really good deals on this hardware but my complaint is primarily that the card is so big. I think it's also going to be incredibly expensive. I remember getting the ATi Rage Fury 128mb for about $150 when it was top on the line. I just think PC gaming is getting ridiculous with the pricing, power requirements and card sizes.

Also, the reason why I bought the hardware early was because I was initially going to get a Geforce 295 but then they started talking about the next cards coming out the following month so I decided to wait.

if you really wanted to you could totally take out the HDD bay in that new case and even cut off a few level from the top that aren't going to be used, i mean you are really going to have 5 HDD are you? if you do that you will have more than anough room for the card and any future beasts.

gillty

Banned
Kevin said:
Creative Sound Blaster:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
u bought a creative soundcard i feel sorry for you

theres a reason why companies like auzentech are so popular, they eliminate 2 major faults with creative cards

1)creatives crappy drivers
2)the shitty POS components creative use on their boards.

honestly u could have saved yourself the money and stuck with onboard realtek alc 888 hd or w/e they call it these days

otherwise only auzentech, ht omega, or asus xonar cards are worth looking at

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Valru said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
u bought a creative soundcard i feel sorry for you

theres a reason why companies like auzentech are so popular, they eliminate 2 major faults with creative cards

1)creatives crappy drivers
2)the shitty POS components creative use on their boards.

honestly u could have saved yourself the money and stuck with onboard realtek alc 888 hd or w/e they call it these days

otherwise only auzentech, ht omega, or asus xonar cards are worth looking at

You forgot the enormous amount of bloated software that it installs as well. I'll never by a Creative card again.

pestul

Ceebs said:
I have this exact case. The only thing I have had to do was drill a new mount hole or two for the motherboard I have since I had a few holes that did not line up. My 4870 fits with room to spare, and if you do end up with a card that is just way to big, that bottom HDD bay holder/tray could be cut out pretty easily to give you the full length of the case. This case is going on almost 10 years for me and has been used in every rig I have built in that time.
Did you make any of the 80mm to 120mm fan modifications I see floating around for this case? I'm not really too concerned about sound factor myself, but I suppose these new devices require a little extra cooling.

Minsc

Gold Member
cyberheater said:
You forgot the enormous amount of bloated software that it installs as well. I'll never by a Creative card again.

I was under the impression they cleaned up their act with the new XiFi series from the early XP days of bloated software.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Has anyone heard any news about the 57XX cards? I was reading online, and I think the 5770 and 5750 come out in October or November and will be DX11 compatible and offer performance comparable to the 4890. Is this correct, or am I getting things totally wrong?

RavenFox

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
newegg still hasn't put it up for sale. wtf!!!!!!!
This
pestul said:

601AE_layout.jpg
I have that case in black/\. My new build is the Antec 1200.
antec_1200.jpg

Archie said:
Has anyone heard any news about the 57XX cards? I was reading online, and I think the 5770 and 5750 come out in October or November and will be DX11 compatible and offer performance comparable to the 4890. Is this correct, or am I getting things totally wrong?
That's what I've heard, too. The date and DX11 support are certain -- I'm not sure about the performance, but these cards are expected to replace the 4800 series, so the 5770 should at least be close to the 4890.

NEWEGG I HAT U

The HIS 5870 shows Add to Cart on the search page but not on it's main page. When I add to cart it adds it to my cart. But when I click my cart to checkout...IT REMOVES IT FROM MY CART.

why are you toying with me?!

5870 benchmark for the upcoming Risen:

risen-PC-US-packshot_3D.jpg

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCKoNQuvrTc&fmt=18

Risen: Test results and conclusion

Which card is the best for Risen? It's definitely the brand-new Radeon HD 5870. The predecessor HD 4890 is constantly beaten by 76 percent, Nvidia's fastest single GPU card GTX 285 leaves the DX11 Radeon behind with 56-58 percent. The Geforce GTX 285 is hardly faster than the GTX 275 - the latter is slightly better than the Radeon HD 4890. The GTX 260-216 is about 10 percent faster than the Radeon HD 4870/1G; more than 512 MiByte VRAM are not necessary for 1920 x 1200.

Provided that you play with the maximum of 1680 x 1050 pixels and 16:1 AF a HD 4770 or 8800 GT are sufficient, with some minor flaws even a 9600 GT or HD 3870. However, for playing in 1920 x 1200 and 16:1 AF you should have a GTX 260-216 or Radeon HD 4870.

Risen-GPUs-1280.png

Full Article: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...enchmark-test-Radeon-HD-5870-on-top/Practice/

That's some pretty major domination right there, and those aren't half some pretty graphics as well. Interestingly bumping upto 1680x1050 only seems to have a very minor impact on performance.

Its nice to see a result where the average and minimum framerates are so close, it means the graphics load should be fairly balanced throughout meaning an alltogether smoother experience even at lower framerates. You could use standard double buffer v-sync on anything from say a 4870 and above and receive a nice locked 30fps throughout.

Newegg has the Sapphire branded card available!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOGOGOGO

omg! I just ordered the Sapphire 5870 and a Phenom II black edition 3.2ghz

$577.49 ouch

Minsc

Gold Member
fistfulofmetal said:
Newegg has the Sapphire branded card available!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOGOGOGO

omg! I just ordered the Sapphire 5870 and a Phenom II black edition 3.2ghz

$577.49 ouch

What was so special about the Sapphire one, as opposed to eVGA or XFX?

Firestorm

Minsc said:
What was so special about the Sapphire one, as opposed to eVGA or XFX?
EVGA doesn't make Radeon cards. XFX is probably one of the best brands as far as ATI cards go though. Great warranty. Covers overclocking and the person you sell it to if you decide to get rid of it.

Firestorm said:
EVGA doesn't make Radeon cards. XFX is probably one of the best brands as far as ATI cards go though. Great warranty. Covers overclocking and the person you sell it to if you decide to get rid of it.

But the quality of the components they put in the cards has decreased according to the internets. Back in the day i thought sapphire was the top dog for ATI cards since it's the only graphics cards they make.

Technosteve said:
But the quality of the components they put in the cards has decreased according to the internets. Back in the day i thought sapphire was the top dog for ATI cards since it's the only graphics cards they make.

All current 5870s are the reference design, almost certainly straight out of the same factory. The brand you buy isn't going to make any difference to the quality of the components used in this batch of cards. Warranty, bundle and price are what you should be judging your decision off of.

ToddG15

brain_stew said:
All current 5870s are the reference design, almost certainly straight out of the same factory. The brand you buy isn't going to make any difference to the quality of the components used in this batch of cards. Warranty, bundle and price are what you should be judging your decision off of.
Anyone else agreeing with this? Just want to confirm that I'd be good buying the Sapphire one now. I plan to pick up a 5870 soon, but I don't really NEED the upgrade until early November with Dragon Age Origins comes out.

FoxSpirit

For one thing, those are great results... but as seein that this amount of power could be what next gen consoles get, I'm slightly disappointed.

I still hope for a 1080p/4xAA/60FPS generation with global illumination being the norm. Maybe some driver optimization, a bit ocing and the 5890.

Or they wait until the 6000 series until they lock down future console specs for 2014 :D

brain_stew said:
I thought there was some variation in where they get their memory, although that's probably not going to significantly impact the quality.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rohlfinator said:
I thought there was some variation in where they get their memory, although that's probably not going to significantly impact the quality.
Usually the in the batches. Right now there's no time for companies to use different designs. Early 8800GTS (512) had to switch memory later because a Qimoda (RAM) plant went down and they had to substitute better Samsung into them.

I personally would wait to spend the extra money on an XFX card because of the warranty, even though Sapphire is usually cheaper by a bit.

i meant to say non reference design cards, which annoyed me with sapphire you get better cooling but non reference voltage regulators so no OC via volting.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Minsc said:
I was under the impression they cleaned up their act with the new XiFi series from the early XP days of bloated software.
I find Creative's practices of making you pay for updated drivers or purposely disabling features in their drivers to be far more sleazier.

Macattk15

fistfulofmetal said:
It was the first one that was available when I went to go purchase the card. Was going to get the HIS model but Sapphire will do. Plus i get Dirt 2!

I just got my XFX card from Newegg today ... I also received some sort of code for Dirt 2. yet to put this thing in ... it's huge.

Top Bottom