• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Deep Strange Journey for 3DS

I agree with your points here, but I'm not sure it's the subject matter that holds back SMT here as opposed to (like lots of Atlus games) being a star-heavy, reasonably difficult niche JRPG on a portable.

Well it could also be the harsh difficulty of those games I agree.
The target audience in Europe is way different than in Japan or America.
Also the regional lock is annoying too, making it way more difficult, even if you can disable it via homebrew or even those flash cards.

Shut your mouth, shut it! Strange journey is my favorite kept, this is a dream. I'm dreaming, it's a nightmare tho because I sold my 3ds for a switch.

Mirari

Played a lot of the Shin Megami Tensei games, but somehow missed out on Strange Journey DS.

Will definitely pick this one up, for sure.

Blobbers

Kanekek BTFO

o9DmxJR.png

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, the Kaneko art is clearly superior. Dunno why they felt the need to change it up when it's so similar, unlike the Radiant Historia art which is a different direction altogether.

just another atlus port with new content. they love to regurgitate every game they make. no kaneko hurts, but it's not like you can count on his appearance in these times. it's been a while. the OST was rather short, so here is another opportunity to add more tracks. they'll probably add some shitty pay to win too.

duckroll

Yeah, the Kaneko art is clearly superior. Dunno why they felt the need to change it up when it's so similar, unlike the Radiant Historia art which is a different direction altogether.

I don't think anyone said that's Doi's art. It honestly looks like they just took the Kaneko art and put it through a resize+blur+sharpen filter.

Dantis

I don't think anyone said that's Doi's art. It honestly looks like they just took the Kaneko art and put it through a resize+blur+sharpen filter.
I mean, it's definitely redrawn. The shading is different as are elements of the faces.

The new shading matches Doi's shading style, but I don't know if that actually means anything.

Holy fuck yee.... oh. Oh, it's a port with worsened art work (even if still far away from Radiant Historia remaster). Guess then I at least won't have to be sad that this might never come out here. I just played SJ for the first time and don't need this, even if it meant maybe having a non-bullshit final stretch.
Also, demon co-op is great. Thank god not every SMT game is the same.

wrowa

What's up with Atlus releasing barely enhanced remakes with worse art? Just trying to quickly cash in on their 3DS audience before the user base fades away, I guess.

Capra

I do not comprehend why they can't just take the original Kaneko artwork and re-scan it in a higher res for this port. I mean yeah, it would look inconsistent against the new character art, but they already do that with the demons so it wouldn't be too egregious in an SMT game. That has to be less work than redrawing them entirely, and the new art just looks... worse.

Beartruck

This actually looks a bit better than the radiant historia remake to me. Cool cutscene, maintaining the SMT artstyle, and better waifu. Sign me up.

cj_iwakura

Hylian7

Might be eating these words, lol.

Seems like they're going to kill everything that made it a classic; Kaneko art and the difficulty.

1r3sjIg.gif

I have faith in it still.

Edit: I was reading more about the Atlus event from last night, and there was another SMT switch trailer?! Where is that?

deadfolk

This has been on my list to check out for a while. Will be very happy if this is definitely a remake/port and it comes to EU.

I almost typed that last part with a straight face.

Thud

Seems like they're going to kill everything that made it a classic; Kaneko art and the difficulty.

Eh, it's the oppressive vibe that made it so good. Progression in the game kinda sucks, as dungeons get more tedious to explore but difficulty stays the same. For the final boss a serious amount of grinding or resorting to password demons is necessary. Even then it boils down to don't get hit lol.

The rebalance and perhaps a better movement speed would go a long way to make the game better for a larger audience. However the new designs might just ruin the tone the game was aiming for.

Maybe this is blasphemy, but the new art looks good. It being decently faithful to the Kaneko art is good enough for me, especially after the liberties they're taking with that Radiant Historia remake.

cj_iwakura

Eh, it's the oppressive vibe that made it so good. Progression in the game kinda sucks, as dungeons get more tedious to explore but difficulty stays the same. For the final boss a serious amount of grinding or resorting to password demons is necessary. Even then it boils down to don't get hit lol.

The rebalance and perhaps a better movement speed would go a long way to make the game better for a larger audience. However the new designs might just ruin the tone the game was aiming for.

The oppressive vibe and the difficulty go hand in hand, though. Having to backtrack through those hellish dungeons, praying you get to the save point before you get buried.

On the plus side, I really like the new logo.

Top Bottom