• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

duckroll

Title: Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey
Platform: Nintendo DS
Release Date: Oct 8 2009 (Japan)
Price: 6279yen
Official Site: http://megamisj.atlusnet.jp

Staff:
Producer/Original Concept/Character and Devil Design: KANEKO THE DEVIL PAINTER
Director: Eiji Ishida (Chief Designer for SMT3/Raidou/Raidou2)
Scenario: Shogo Isogai (SMT2/SMTif/DevilSummoner/SoulHackers/SMT3/Raidou/Trauma series)
Composer: MEGURO THE COMPOSER OF GOODNESS

Info:
- Some other dimension has opened up in the South Pole
- The dimensional space is called "Schwarz Birth" or something
- The characters wear some scifi suit called Demonica Suits, and get upgraded applications along the way
- Top screen = first person orgasm of the SMT goodness
- Botton screen = map + support info

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

- 300+ demons
- Negotiation systems, fusion, etc, are all in the game

OMGGGGGGGG

RULE #1: IF ANYONE MENTIONS PS3/360 CRAP IN THIS THREAD, 3 MONTH BAN!

RULE #2: IF ANYONE WANTS TO SHIT UP THE THREAD AGAIN WITH "IS THIS SMT4 OR NOT?!" CRAP, 1 MONTH BAN!

duckroll

For more info:

Yaweee said:
The map grid looks much more zoomed out than EO, so its either a different view, or not made for you to draw on. It's still on the bottom screen, though.

Four member parties

Pictures show one human with three demons.

Moon Phases.

The humans' suits look kind of futuristic, and the team has some sort of transport vehicle (looks kind of like the one from Advance Wars).

On the map, it has four options.

X: Mission Log
Y: Demon (a few letters at the end I can't make out)
Analyze
Icon Help

That there's no button assigned to the last two might indicate touch screen...

Looks like it takes place on both the snowy surface and in ice caves.

In battle, X: Auto, Y: Condition, and there are little icons next to your party portraits that show what attack they're presumably going to do.

Some demons are definitely taken straight from Devil Survivor (Wendigo). Some new demons I don't recognize, and some from other SMT games that weren't in DS.

CO-OP attacks using several party members (niiiiiiiiiiiiice)

Nothing in the screens looks like it has press-turn, but there is an icon that says WEAK over one attack.

Demon fusion (12 demon roster, from the looks of it). Demon shows "Neutral-Chaos", so it looks like it uses the 3x3 allignment system in some form.

Physical, Gun, Fire, Ice, Elec, Wind, Light, and Dark elements.

300 Demons? Holy fuck, that's about as many that appeared across all the PS2 games. Let's hope the game is hard enough to require a lot of fusing.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
So it's like the old school SMT games then? Cool. Can't wait to play it sometime next year. :p

Volcynika

Error said:

jack_sm.png

Meguro eh? Hopefully the spoils includes the soundtrack :D

Game looks awesome, and has some of the top Atlus developers behind it (do we know what team is doing it? I mean, it has Kaneko and Meguro, so I'm hoping for the best). I've been digging Devil Survivor so far, loving Persona 4, loved Persona 3, but I had a bit of a hard time getting into DDS (Puzzles? I'm far too lazy for that in my RPGs :lol )

Anyway, Day one regardless. Assuming I have money whenever it hits the US.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
It's good to see Kaneko doing character art again. Meguro in here as well? How can this go wrong?

Volcynika

stupei said:
Why no banner?

But seriously, day -1 if Atlus Spoils. Otherwise just boring old day 1.

Only sort of art related things are scans, which are a no-no. The teaser site hasn't even officially launched yet. Maybe we'll get some cool stuff when it does.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
This looks really good, but it looks like battles take place on the top screen (I hope I'm wrong and they switch during battles). That was my only gripe about EO, I much prefer touch menus on the DS. It doesn't look like there's map making, so there's no reason to not to have the battle on the bottom screen. Honestly, I never saw why they didn't disable map making in EO during battles and bring the battle to the bottom.

Oh and 300 demons? crap.

DR2K

Banned
Hopefully I finish Devil Survivor before this hits, lol. Is this in any way related to the Persona 5 leak? Seems way too close.

stupei

Volcynika said:
Only sort of art related things are scans, which are a no-no. The teaser site hasn't even officially launched yet. Maybe we'll get some cool stuff when it does.

Sorry, yeah, I was only joking about the banner, but I do forget that juniors can't really pull it off effectively. :D

ethelred

This is really exciting. It seems to have all the hallmarks one would expect of a new Shin Megami Tensei game -- fusion, demon negotiation, moon phases, alignment, elemental weaknesses (and hopefully some new modified type of Once More or something), Shoji Meguro composing (yay!), Kazuma Kaneko doing character designs (and they look great)... and all in first person, too. Man, so exciting.

300 demons is pretty incredible, since that's almost 120 more demons than Nocturne had. I can't wait to see what some of the new (and returning?) demons are and what the different abilities will be. Hopefully there are special classes of demons as well, like the fiends from Nocturne.

The setting seems really cool, too. I kind of feel like this is what would happen if classic Shin Megami Tensei and classic Phantasy Star fell in love and had sweet, sweet sex and then had a baby.

duckroll said:
Director: Something Ishida

Is it Eiji? I see two possibilities scanning through credits. Eiji Ishida was the chief designer for Nocturne, Raidou 1 and Raidou 2. There's also a Yoshiko Ishida who was a designer on Etrian Odyssey.

duckroll said:

Nevermind! I see you answered my question.

duckroll said:
There's a compendium, definitely.
This is the scenario writer: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/by_genre/developerId,233227/

Very, very nice to both of those. Devil Survivor seriously needed a compendium, and Isogai's credit listing is fantastic.

stupei

ethelred said:
Is it Eiji? I see two possibilities scanning through credits. Eiji Ishida was the chief designer for Nocturne, Raidou 1 and Raidou 2. There's also a Yoshiko Ishida who was a designer on Etrian Odyssey.

Somebody find this out! Somebody must find this out!

Top Bottom