• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu (New Etrian Odyssey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Details in Famitsu:

- Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu - Millennium no Shoujo
- 3DS
- 6/27 release in Japan
- 6279yen

Director: Shigeo Komori
Character Design: Yuji Himukai
Monster Design: Shin Nagasawa
Music: Yuzo Koshiro

Remake of EO1, expanded story scenario, voice acting. More details to come.

Announced voice cast so far: Kousuke Toriumi, Daisuke Ono, Toshiyuki Toyonaga, Mariya Ise, Shizuka Ito

Okay, way more information (and some scans) have started popping up. This is... really... odd. Definitely a new direction for EO. The graphics and presentation looks the same, pretty much like EO4, except it no longer looks like a "create your own party from the start and just explore" dungeon crawler. Instead there's a main character who you can name (he is voiced in story scenes), and there's a full story where you meet other characters, and they join your party like a story RPG. All the characters appear to be voiced.

The storyline is based on EO1, but there are a ton of changes. The story starts with the main character running into a mysterious girl. The main character is a young man from the Highlands, doing some job for the guild office in Etria, and the girl he runs into is Frederica Irving, who appears to have lost her memory. Her character design has her holding a gun too.

So yeah, an EO1 remake with named characters, voice acting, and more focus on plot. Did anyone really ask for this? It's... somewhat interesting though I must say. It also means you no longer create classes for your party too, since all the party members are actual characters who have their own fixed classes. Hmm...

Tenki

Details in Famitsu:

- Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu - Millennium no Shoujo
- 3DS
- 6/27 release in Japan
- 6279yen

Director: Shigeo Komori
Character Design: Yuji Himukai
Monster Design: Shin Nagasawa
Music: Yuzo Koshiro

Remake of EO1, expanded story scenario, voice acting. More details to come.

Great. Now Nintendo, bring the game to Europe too, just as EOIV.

vall03

Woah! A remake of EO1? Thats very surprising. Speaking of which...

Venomflies galore, Ragelopes, and squirrels stealing Warp Wires!

Apparently the screens in the magazine look like it's the same engine as EO4. Hmmm. Sounds boring. :(

Indeed.
I don't see it makes too much sense, unless they're trying a new direction for the series, making it more story-focused. But I would have preferred a spin-off in modern-era, that'd be cool!

Y'know what? I'm down. EO1 is virtually unplayable compared to EO3 or 4 at this point. So many little things make the newer games better.

If they take EO4 mechanics and bolt it on to the honestly neat EO1 story and still keep the overall difficulty while keeping the quality-of-life improvements from EO4, I am there day one.

Alex

Oh, that's interesting, I'm personally not all that concerned about a narrative in a dungeon crawler but if they can heavily update the mechanics and design to brilliant EO4 standards, then I'm down with whatever.

Hellraider

I am almost always very positive with remakes/enhanced ports etc. but this feels too pointless.Just like the devil survivor ones.
Oh well, will probably get hyped as fuck when I watch some gameplay anyway.

Eusis

Y'know what? I'm down. EO1 is virtually unplayable compared to EO3 or 4 at this point. So many little things make the newer games better.

If they take EO4 mechanics and bolt it on to the honestly neat EO1 story and still keep the overall difficulty while keeping the quality-of-life improvements from EO4, I am there day one.
It'd be even more interesting to me if they
don't even hide the twist this time and actually try to build off of it with the whole game, though I guess we have Numenera coming up for something similar in that regard.
Sounds like the kind of thing that could go badly, but Atlus games have generally been pretty good for story, lunacy in the original Trauma Center aside (and that's really more of a GAMEPLAY disappointment) so I'm cautiously optimistic.

By the way, this was in the old thread that just got locked but that Spencer guy on Siliconera needs to stop being so damn presumptuous and use the actual JAPANESE name of a game and just note what it'd probably be translated to. Not like I'd want him to write katakana in the Latin Alphabet or something that absurd, but if there isn't an official English title then you're practically making up a name.
I think they should roll a select-able soundtrack, ala Cladun or something. Both the chiptunes and the modern renditions are really good.
I have to admit, with a remake that sounds this extreme it'd actually be disappointing if you ONLY had the original FM soundtrack. I definitely want an arrangement whether or not the original FM's there (though it'd be preferable to be there!)

... Incidentally, while I can't expect to see this it'd be nice if these games started including the original as an extra, assuming it can even easily be done here.
I am almost always very positive with remakes/enhanced ports etc. but this feels too pointless.Just like the devil survivor ones.
Oh well, will probably get hyped as fuck when I watch some gameplay anyway.
The Devil Survivor were relatively young before they updated. This game's actually about 6 years old now, which isn't too bad for an update time.

MLH

I'm actually quite excited, I never completed EO1, I hated it when I first played it. I got into the series with EO3 which I fully completed and enjoyed, but I could never go back to EO1.

I wanted Dark Spire 2.

Different developer, but yes that would be amazing.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The series doesn't strike me as something that needs remakes, so "wut" indeed.

But who am I kidding? I'll buy it anyway. Fantastic new idea for the remake: add a second save slot!

Eusis

The series doesn't strike me as something that needs remakes, so "wut" indeed.

But who am I kidding? I'll buy it anyway. Fantastic new idea for the remake: add a second save slot!
Well, there were a lot of mechanical updates, and EO1 at least has an interesting story, not that there's too much. Very much like some old PC games or 8-bit/16-bit RPGs, fitting given what it's an homage to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom