• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu (New Etrian Odyssey)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah right. strange, but, sure i'll probably bite. Even though I'm halfway through a playthrough already, I think there should be enough time between now and any potential australian release to finish it. And EOIV. and probably a fair few other things.

mclem

Wonder how much they'll change. The first game was phenomenal; I played it right through to the Town Crown, and it's rare for me to stick with games that have such difficult post-game content. The obvious question in the back of my mind is whether 2 and 3 will get the same treatment - but then, EO1 was definitely the one most in need of a few significant QOL improvements.

duckroll

Okay, way more information (and some scans) have started popping up. This is... really... odd. Definitely a new direction for EO. The graphics and presentation looks the same, pretty much like EO4, except it no longer looks like a "create your own party from the start and just explore" dungeon crawler. Instead there's a main character who you can name (he is voiced in story scenes), and there's a full story where you meet other characters, and they join your party like a story RPG. All the characters appear to be voiced.

The storyline is based on EO1, but there are a ton of changes. The story starts with the main character running into a mysterious girl. The main character is a young man from the Highlands, doing some job for the guild office in Etria, and the girl he runs into is Frederica Irving, who appears to have lost her memory. Her character design has her holding a gun too.

So yeah, an EO1 remake with named characters, voice acting, and more focus on plot. Did anyone really ask for this? It's... somewhat interesting though I must say. It also means you no longer create classes for your party too, since all the party members are actual characters who have their own fixed classes. Hmm...

joetachi

Okay, way more information (and some scans) have started popping up. This is... really... odd. Definitely a new direction for EO. The graphics and presentation looks the same, pretty much like EO4, except it no longer looks like a "create your own party from the start and just explore" dungeon crawler. Instead there's a main character who you can name (he is voiced in story scenes), and there's a full story where you meet other characters, and they join your party like a story RPG. All the characters appear to be voiced.

The storyline is based on EO1, but there are a ton of changes. The story starts with the main character running into a mysterious girl. The main character is a young man from the Highlands, doing some job for the guild office in Etria, and the girl he runs into is Frederica Irving, who appears to have lost her memory. Her character design has her holding a gun too.

So yeah, an EO1 remake with named characters, voice acting, and more focus on plot. Did anyone really ask for this? It's... somewhat interesting though I must say. It also means you no longer create classes for your party too, since all the party members are actual characters who have their own fixed classes. Hmm...

now we "wat"

So Etrian Odyssey the jRPG instead of Etrian Odyssey the Dungeon Crawler.

Well.

Cipherr

utWV2Y2.png

vall03

It seems Aeana is correct, this "wut" worthy

Guess literally going into a new direction with this game. Still curious how this will turn out.

spiritfox

So it's EO without all the things that make EO great?

Next you'll tell me that FOEs are gone.

edit: Oh well at least there's still some amount of customization.

They lost me at mysterious girl who lost her memory. The most generic of all generic plot elements in jrpgs. NB4 she's the key to saving the world/a goddess/some priestess who is needed to be sacrificed and/or finish some ancient ritual.

I'm mixed on this. I didn't really need a remake personally, as I've just played EO1 - I don't really want to play the first game again so soon. Then again, making it like a JRPG... Hmm. I want to experience it, because it sounds interesting. I hope they make it fresh enough, and also make it good.

duckroll

The party characters revealed so far are interesting. The main character probably starts as a Swordsman, the girl he meets is definitely a Gunner (which is a EO2 class!), and the other three characters are a male Medic, a male Alchemist, and a female Paladin. Seems like a good general mix. I guess this is one way to make the game more "accessible". :p

MrDaravon

Uh, the direction they seem to be going with for this remake is really weird. Potentially neat though, but I don't think exactly what anyone was expecting, or maybe wants.

As an aside, as I've gotten older I find I have less and less tolerance for JRPG bullshit/cliche plot devices. Of course you meet a girl at the start of the game who has amnesia. Jesus.

Very interesting news. I believe Atlus is trying to build the EO brand by revisiting the earlier games and trying to make them more mass appealing after the success of EO4. It does sound odd but I'm not going to dismiss it right away.

I guess this means I still have to buy the first EO since this altered version is going to play quite different to the original.

This might be perfect for me, who... well, play RPGs usually for the story. I wonder how I'll handle the remake...

EOIV spoilers:
I kind of liked how I can actually recruit story characters here

Eusis

The party characters revealed so far are interesting. The main character probably starts as a Swordsman, the girl he meets is definitely a Gunner (which is a EO2 class!), and the other three characters are a male Medic, a male Alchemist, and a female Paladin. Seems like a good general mix. I guess this is one way to make the game more "accessible". :p
Whole new designs or are they riffing off of the EO1 designs? I liked some of those most in the EO series but I'm guessing they may be absent (or at least some of those I liked being absent.)

tuffy

A remake of EO1 was sorely needed since it's the hardest to go back to. But predefined party characters, voice acting and a story? I'm not so sure. I suppose it makes the series more accessible since newcomers won't have to fret about what combination of classes and skills to choose when starting out, but I'll miss having a team that's not really my own.

Effect

This is pretty interesting. I enjoyed the EO4 demo and looking forward to picking up a copy soon. However the changes listed seems like this could be a very interesting experience given how the EO4 was played. The casual mode in EO4 was suppose to make the game more accessible I think. This looks like that will accomplish that even more by seemingly to streamline some things.

Okay, way more information (and some scans) have started popping up. This is... really... odd. [...]

Now the "wut" starts.

First off, a male main character? But the blonde female Protector is the game's banner character! How can she not be the MC?

Really would want to see a lot more media on this. I'm intrigued, but it seems like such a departure.

duckroll

Whole new designs or are they riffing off of the EO1 designs? I liked some of those most in the EO series but I'm guessing they may be absent (or at least some of those I liked being absent.)

The new character designs are new, obviously (which means the party members, etc), but the characters who already existed in EO1 (the various characters in the town, the unlockable class characters you run into in the dungeon, etc) have the same design.

I don't care about more story/pre-set characters, but the possibility of having EO1 remade with EO4's systems and refinements has my attention. I wonder if we'll see the entire DS trilogy remade this way?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So if I wanted to try the series, this one would be the right one to start with or EO4 is a better starting point?
Would I miss some part of a story with 4? I'd prefer ditching the NDS games now that the series moved to 3DS and we might be remakes for the original trilogy.

rjc571

Banned
A remake? Well I guess the skill system in EO1 was pretty unbalanced and could do with an overhaul. But other than that I don't see the point.

Ohnonono

This sounds like a more Unchained Blades-esque take on EO. I will give it a shot but I hope the story stuff is pretty good cause otherwise you just took away most of my interest in EO with no class management.

Eusis

The new character designs are new, obviously (which means the party members, etc), but the characters who already existed in EO1 (the various characters in the town, the unlockable class characters you run into in the dungeon, etc) have the same design.
Was kinda hoping they based these off of some of the portraits you chose in EO1. Now it's just going to feel like a game loosely based off of EO1 than a remake.

mclem

One thing where EO1 at least does suffer is the fact that you need at least a vague handle on the various characters' capabilities before you can actually get started with the game; there's quite a lot of learning before you
get
kill
ed by
your first butterfly. I can see merit in streamlining that process, at least, but I wouldn't like it to be the only option. Wonder if EO5 might go with a Fallout-esque path of 'have a premade or generate your own', satisfying both needs.

Edit: I wonder how EO would play if you simply fixed Immunize to not be as all-powerful as it is. Would probably be even more nightmarishly difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom