• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu (New Etrian Odyssey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vall03

The interface really is the EO4 one, as long as we get the same gameplay Im seriously fine with it. Still can't get over how weird this "new direction" is for the series.

Eusis

It may be fine, but I do hope they back pedal from this being THE direction for the series.

Alternatively, you may as well fully embrace it and turn it into a traditional JRPG that happens to be played from the first person with more twisty dungeons, I'd actually like it more if I could travel around towns and all in first person in a manner just like the dungeons.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So it's like a spin-off and remake at the same time? Is that even possible?.gif

It may be fine, but I do hope they back pedal from this being THE direction for the series.

Alternatively, you may as well fully embrace it and turn it into a traditional JRPG that happens to be played from the first person with more twisty dungeons, I'd actually like it more if I could travel around towns and all in first person in a manner just like the dungeons.

I think if they wanted this to be THE new direction they'd probably just make it EOV. They'll probably watch how this is received and if it sells as well.

duckroll

So it's like a spin-off and remake at the same time? Is that even possible?.gif

I don't really think its a spin-off. I guess they're trying to see if people would be comfortable with an EO game in this more linear format, and if people do like it, they might do it for EO5 too. It's easier to experiment with something like this in a remake, and there might be less backlash if fans dislike it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I don't really think its a spin-off. I guess they're trying to see if people would be comfortable with an EO game in this more linear format, and if people do like it, they might do it for EO5 too. It's easier to experiment with something like this in a remake, and there might be less backlash if fans dislike it.

I was joking around really. I agree with you, I think this is more of an experiment.

Eusis

Yeah, that makes sense. And also make the question of buying it a bit more difficult in case it's something you're fine with as a one off but not as THE new direction.

turnbuckle

Sounds great to me. Hope there's an option to have the original soundtrack. Going back to EO1 now is painful after the quality of life improvements offered in the sequels. I have EO4 but haven't opened it yet. Maybe I should; I was waiting to get a 3DSXL but I've heard enough negative impressions of it that I might as well go ahead and play on my OG 3DS.

duckroll

Sounds great to me. Hope there's an option to have the original soundtrack. Going back to EO1 now is painful after the quality of life improvements offered in the sequels. I have EO4 but haven't opened it yet. Maybe I should; I was waiting to get a 3DSXL but I've heard enough negative impressions of it that I might as well go ahead and play on my OG 3DS.

After they did away with FM music with EO4, I'm sorta afraid they'll never go back now. Making this game more story focused and adding voices seem to indicate that the soundtrack will now be orchestrated as well. :(

Queen Aeana delivers once again.

This is a good "wut" imo. I'm excited! Too bad EO4 had to come out so close to MH3U, it will definitely be my next game though.

wrowa

I think we might be looking at a new release schedule here. I doubt Atlus would replace the current EO formula with this more streamlined approach, but I can imagine that if the first remake proves successful we will be looking at a yearly release schedule with new mainline episodes and remakes every other year.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Huh. I was expecting a switch to a more "standard JRPG" instead of a dungeon crawler. Something 7th Dragon-esque.

Too bad. I'm out! Call me when EOV hits.

tuffy

I think we might be looking at a new release schedule here. I doubt Atlus would replace the current EO formula with this more streamlined approach, but I can imagine that if the first remake proves successful we will be looking at a yearly release schedule with new mainline episodes and remakes every other year.
I was thinking the same thing. It's a way of expanding the series' appeal and bringing in a new audience by mixing more familiar tropes into its design as an experiment. But adding a "New" moniker implies the core series will continue with EO V on its own schedule.

spiritfox

I'm not sure what I feel about this. On one hand, I would like an EO1 updated with modern QOL enhancements and a better balance, but on the other hand, the story stuff seems awfully cliche. It doesn't help that it seems that they didn't really update the graphics outside of the 3d enemies, and the main characters look bad.

And who plays as a male character in EO anyway??

Totakeke

You guys think if this takes off they'll still continue to make another one in the old line while have two EO series at the same time? That's very unlikely.

turnbuckle

After they did away with FM music with EO4, I'm sorta afraid they'll never go back now. Making this game more story focused and adding voices seem to indicate that the soundtrack will now be orchestrated as well. :(

Really? I haven't heard any of the music from EO4 yet (avoided as much media as I could) and now my day is a little darker because of this news :(

I'd still pay extra for the FM soundtrack as dlc in EO4. ;_;

Me too!

duckroll

I never play as "myself" in EO anyway. My parties are always created around people I know. It's better to direct a team of friends to risk death in a deadly labyrinth than to venture in yourself after all. :p

Really? I haven't heard any of the music from EO4 yet (avoided as much media as I could) and now my day is a little darker because of this news :(

I'm really sorry then. I didn't want to ruin your day. :(

On the plus side, the music is REALLY good. But it's just... not FM. T_T

vall03

Hmmmm... considering the guest characters in EO4, can we expect Ren and Tlachtga to join our party? Because Im seriously fine with that!

Eusis

I like to have a mixed party and you could either consider one the main character or just the team on a whole. Though I was fond of the red headed female landschneckt, who I ended up kind of viewing as the main character of 1/2 and was hoping her design was kept.

spiritfox

Hmmmm... considering the guest characters in EO4, can we expect Ren and Tlachtga to join our party? Because Im seriously fine with that!

Can we even expect them to come back? Even if they did most likely they'll die sacrificing themselves to save the party or something cliche like that.

duckroll

Yeah I think it's very likely that instead of picking up an item which allows you to create that those classes, in this remake they might just join up instead giving you an option to use those classes at the same level right off the bat.

Can we even expect them to come back? Even if they did most likely they'll die sacrificing themselves to save the party or something cliche like that.

They're in the game.

Not sure how to feel about this. I'll need to see this for myself. Could be interesting. I haven't played the first game, so I'll probably get this to see what it is like.

Definitely a wut announcement.

spiritfox

Yeah I think it's very likely that instead of picking up an item which allows you to create that those classes, in this remake they might just join up instead giving you an option to use those classes at the same level right off the bat.

They're in the game.

Em but
that would make their 5th Stratum battle impossible
unless they change it altogether.

scy

I kind of want this to succeed so there's an EO2 remake. With my RDW/GH party.

Wait.

CAN I USE ARTELIND?

Em but

Well,
they can always just join up temporarily in their respective Stratums before the 5th Stratum fight. Have them permanently become available at that point

I'm more interested in what kind of potential skill redesign we'd see. Immunize isn't that good without EO1's Damage formula and the rest of the systems are kind of awkward (how the Antis function, for instance).

duckroll

Em but

I don't expect any specific plot events in EO1 to be retained. I expect all the characters and the base story and background stuff to be retained. It's clear they're retelling the entire story in a totally different way here.

vall03

I don't expect any specific plot events in EO1 to be retained. I expect all the characters and the base story and background stuff to be retained. It's clear they're retelling the entire story in a totally different way here.

I kinda hope this will be the only thing they change. Im kinda neutral with this tbh. Considering how they did this in EO4, I think this can work as long as its doesn't stray too far with the original story.

What Im more curious now is how they're going to add more to the story with this new style. The only thing I can think of right now is more story stuff for the 6th Stratum, but other than that, Im drawing a blank. Hope they at least pull this off in a good way.

spiritfox

I kinda hope this will be the only thing they change. Im kinda neutral with this tbh. Considering how they did this in EO4, I think this can work as long as its doesn't stray too far with the original story.

What Im more curious now is how they're going to add more to the story with this new style. The only thing I can think of right now is more story stuff for the 6th Stratum, but other than that, Im drawing a blank. Hope they at least pull this off in a good way.

Maybe a bit of expansion on (5th strata spoilers)
the apocalypse and the Yggdrasil Project. Most likely the gunner girl will have some connection with that, given her modern looking gun and convenient amnesia.
I would also like more backstory on the Forest Folk.

Actually, can we have a Forest Folk party member? I would totally buy the game for that.

duckroll

I'm more interested in what kind of potential skill redesign we'd see. Immunize isn't that good without EO1's Damage formula and the rest of the systems are kind of awkward (how the Antis function, for instance).

Seems like it has a horizontal skill tree similar to EO4. Also, the main character appears to actually be a new class (Highlander). I wonder if we're going to see the weird classes from EO3 pop up in the game too...

vareon

Not any harder than the fanfics, I imagine. Only this time it's official!

The anonymous, custom party has always been my favorite element of EO. I don't want a crappy voiced protagonist.

Intrigued by the "new art", though. EO's art has always been quite awful in my eyes.

Anyone who doesn't want to play as a loli.

duckroll

The anonymous, custom party has always been my favorite element of EO. I don't want a crappy voiced protagonist.

Intrigued by the "new art", though. EO's art has always been quite awful in my eyes.

What new art? It's still the same artists working on this game. There are new character designs, but they're still in the same style. Hope you're not expecting anything else!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sounds great, but first I'll need to buy and play EO4 ( where is the pal release date ? )....

Anteo

So, is the map still a thing?, because if they want to change try to expand the audience maybe they should make the map automated (but still on the bottom screen)

Aeana

Admittedly it wasn't the "wut" a lot of people wanted, but that's certainly been my reaction to this. I wonder if it'll expand the series like Atlus really wants it to or not. I'm willing to give it a go, and I think EO1 might be a good one to do this with because it had some really interesting story concepts, but they weren't really developed very much.

All of my characters are guys. I don't need little girls in my party.

vall03

So, is the map still a thing?, because if they want to change try to expand the audience maybe they should make the map automated (but still on the bottom screen)

Speaking of which, there was no bottom screen images in the scans. Now Im wondering about this... :(

vareon

Admittedly it wasn't the "wut" a lot of people wanted, but that's certainly been my reaction to this. I wonder if it'll expand the series like Atlus really wants it to or not. I'm willing to give it a go, and I think EO1 might be a good one to do this with because it had some really interesting story concepts, but they weren't really developed very much.

All of my characters are guys. I don't need little girls in my party.

And if all else fails they'll drop the New moniker and go forth with EOV. Pretty safe experiment, I suppose.

scy

Seems like it has a horizontal skill tree similar to EO4. Also, the main character appears to actually be a new class (Highlander). I wonder if we're going to see the weird classes from EO3 pop up in the game too...

Honestly, I'm not that concerned about losing my own characters given proper classing (/subclassing) anyway. But, really, I'm not one who did much with stories for my characters.

I'm willing to try it. Why not? Like you say, EO1 had some interesting bits of story but not much really happened with it. It'd be an interesting take on things if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom