• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu (New Etrian Odyssey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

There's already a lot more direct story elements in EO4 than there was in EO1, so as far as that goes I just see it as a progression of what Atlus wants to do with the series. Having actual fixed characters is a big change here though. We'll see how that pans out.

I think "no story" is not accurate. It's there, it's just incredibly understated. EO1 in particular has a pretty big twist, even.

Well, I may just give this one a chance when it's localized. Minimal story has always held me back from enjoying this series.

Kazerei

Banned
A remake? Well ... I certainly wasn't expecting that. I'm glad it's still an RPG and not some weird spinoff though, at least.

spiritfox

localization staff should name some of the characters Fight and Heal

Frederica "Fight" Irving.

Komori had a lot to do with the story of EO1, so I'm hoping he will do it justice with this game. As much as I prefer the traditional, if it is done well, I'll happily play it.

Who am I kidding, I'll buy it regardless.

tuffy

interesting remake... and announced 3 months before release...
It was apparently developed concurrently with IV by the director of II and III (which is why he had to hand off those duties to someone else). That's why I'm confident there's an EO V in progress with a more traditional style.

Nairume

Banned
This is pretty neat.

I wonder if SEO is going to become the new running series, or if it's just a one-off and they go back to vanilla EO5 for the next "new" game.

Okay, way more information (and some scans) have started popping up. This is... really... odd. Definitely a new direction for EO. The graphics and presentation looks the same, pretty much like EO4, except it no longer looks like a "create your own party from the start and just explore" dungeon crawler. Instead there's a main character who you can name (he is voiced in story scenes), and there's a full story where you meet other characters, and they join your party like a story RPG. All the characters appear to be voiced.

The storyline is based on EO1, but there are a ton of changes. The story starts with the main character running into a mysterious girl. The main character is a young man from the Highlands, doing some job for the guild office in Etria, and the girl he runs into is Frederica Irving, who appears to have lost her memory. Her character design has her holding a gun too.

wut.

Aeana was right........there is no other reaction.

Strange on several fronts, but just maybe they can pull it off if this experiment is polished on all fronts.

Let's hope for an even more souped up FM Synth treatment for the soundtrack to this remake thing! Yeah! Hopefully they will course correct on whatever happened to the EO 4 one---Expanded Audiences need FM Synth love too as they likely literally would not know what they've been missing.

Hell, give me some crossover action with Dark Spire for maximum auditory win via freaky Operatic FM Synth stylings...

jwhit28

Sounds great and different enough to be worth a purchase. I hope the story driven series and the classic dungeon crawling series both keep going.

mclem

Hmmmm... considering the guest characters in EO4, can we expect Ren and Tlachtga to join our party? Because Im seriously fine with that!
Wait, if they come back, and the game has voice acting... does that mean I can finally find out how to pronounce Tlachtga?

Alboreo

Really not digging the idea of a premade set of characters. My favorite part of EO is building my whole party from the ground up. This may be the first in the series that I skip out on. :/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think a lot of us are missing the point here.

EO 1 with fixed boss drops, Strafing, the modern rest/retire system, a legible font, probably better class balance (hexer and ronin won't suck, protector and medic won't be godly) and a new class/gunner from eo 2 for the low low price of using a story party???

The only thing its missing right now is confirmation of FM synth, which would be grand.

duckroll

If it sells millions, perhaps. But I don't think that's very realistic.

I don't think it would have to sell millions to displace the original formula of EO. In Japan EO typically sells about 140k for each entry. If this new direction with a popular voice cast and more story and characters proves to be popular enough to sell over 200k, I think Atlus would already seriously consider making EO5 in the same vein.

Aeana

EO 1 with fixed boss drops, Strafing, the modern rest/retire system, a legible font, probably better class balance (hexer and ronin won't suck, protector and medic won't be godly) and a new class/gunner from eo 2 for the low low price of using a story party???

The only thing its missing right now is confirmation of FM synth, which would be grand.
FM is probably gone for good. :(

Also the part where I already played through it.

But they showed new enemies and maybe the dungeon layouts will be different, soooooo

vall03

The only important addition I really want is Battle Speed option. After having that in 3 and 4, it was a bit hard going back to 1 and 2 because battles felt like they're in slowmo.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't think it would have to sell millions to displace the original formula of EO. In Japan EO typically sells about 140k for each entry. If this new direction with a popular voice cast and more story and characters proves to be popular enough to sell over 200k, I think Atlus would already seriously consider making EO5 in the same vein.

If the timeframe wasn't so soon I'd almost believe that this reboot was going to have a tie in anime with it. EO1's story in particular would work well if fleshed out a bit.

abasm

I sort of like this approach.

Etrian Odyssey -- You make the story.
Shin Etrian Odyssey -- We make the story this time.

...although, if this proves successful, it might make its way into Etrian Odyssey 5. That would be a little sad.

scy

...probably better class balance (hexer and ronin won't suck, protector and medic won't be godly)

Just to note, if they use the mechanics of the recent games, Immunize/Defender are already scaled back. It was less about those skills be super amazing and more about how they functioned: They worked pre-Armor. So a big hit was cut down by both those skills and then the result went through Armor as a flat reduction.

Put it another way, you can get far better damage reduction (percentages) in EO3 and EO4 but neither are as absurdly good as Immunize/Defender were merely due to Armor reduction taking place before these go into effect.

Of course, Boosted Immunize was still really silly efficient for a single buff but still!

sphinx

the piano man
just so people now, the level of failure of EO1 in Europe was MASSIVE, lots of bargain bins filled with copies of this game begging to be bought at the lowest prices.

no way this will get a retail EU version

mclem

just so people now, the level of failure of EO1 in Europe was MASSIVE, lots of bargain bins filled with copies of this game begging to be bought at the lowest prices.

no way this will get a retail EU version

You could argue exactly the same to say that's why we won't be getting EO4, but we are.

Still sceptical, of course, but I don't think it's wise to completely write it off.

duckroll

Hmmm... I saw the logo for the game. It's completely different from the normal games. I guess they're really trying to differentiate it. Here's what it looks like from the ad spread in Famitsu:

VFNtKoM.jpg

vareon

The changes are not big enough, imo. To non-fans they look exactly the same, only the previous players will know enough how the added storyline and voice act impacts the experience.

spiritfox

The changes are not big enough, imo. To non-fans they look exactly the same, only the previous players will know enough how the added storyline and voice act impacts the experience.

I think the lack of major changes is what's riling up long term fans of the game. If it was, say, an ARPG or something, most of us would have been content to laugh it off. But the similarity to the mainline games makes it seem as though this approach might replace what's already there, and some people, me included, are not happy with that.

That said, what I'm most concerned about is not the story, but what it bodes for character customization. Not everyone is runs the same parties in the previous EOs, even if there were optimal party makeups. But if there's a set lineup a lot of theorycrafting and customising the party would be lost. And that's a huge part of EO.

duckroll

I don't think their concern is whether non-fans think it looks the "same" or not, only that non-fans might now have additional reasons to be interested in the franchise if they weren't before - famous VAs and a theme song can go a long way in Japan when we're talking about the otaku market. :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Eh, the scans show new monsters, if the dungeon is reworked enough (or it gets a ton of extra content) I'd be thrilled. I haven't played EO 1 since my second playthrough about a year after the US launch so it will be about the right time to revisit it anyways.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So if I wanted to try the series, this one would be the right one to start with or EO4 is a better starting point?
Would I miss some part of a story with 4? I'd prefer ditching the NDS games now that the series moved to 3DS and we might be remakes for the original trilogy.

Anybody? :)

duckroll

The stories in the EO games aren't connected in any way afaik. I skipped out on EO2 and EO3 myself, so I'm not certain, but I finished EO1 and started playing EO4 recently, and it doesn't even seem like the same world. Just similar themes and gameplay, but the stories seem to stand alone.

ash_ag

I am almost always very positive with remakes/enhanced ports etc. but this feels too pointless.Just like the devil survivor ones.
Oh well, will probably get hyped as fuck when I watch some gameplay anyway.

How exactly are the Devil Survivor ports pointless? Vanilla DeSur sold about 110k in Japan, and Overclock did 40k. A +35% is not to be laughed at, especially considering this is almost pure profit, as the port was fairly cheap.

Furthermore, we're talking about a new IP that launched (relatively) late on DS's cycle and got blinked by many gamers due to that. The remake (both for its availability and its performance) definitely helped the audience grow and the franchise to become more widespread; I also doubt anyone feels like the series is being abused -- in fact most must feel glad for the whole motion -- we're talking about Atlus here.

It's guaranteed that DeSur 3 is happening on 3DS, and it will feel much more grand just for the fact that the series has a continued momentum on the platform.

zashga

Sounds weird. Guess it makes sense as an experiment before EO5. I wonder if the voice acting will significantly alter the budget and thus our chances of receiving a localization.

The stories in the EO games aren't connected in any way afaik. I skipped out on EO2 and EO3 myself, so I'm not certain, but I finished EO1 and started playing EO4 recently, and it doesn't even seem like the same world. Just similar themes and gameplay, but the stories seem to stand alone.

EO1 and EO2 inhabit the same world and knowing EO1's backstory gives a bit of grounding to the plot of EO2, but there are no concrete links with the rest of the series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

2 and 1 are in fact connected and there are references sprinkled throughout 3 and 4 that could lead to one very fucked up world at different times.

It could all be different regions of the world effected by the same apocalyptic event in different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom