• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus Considering Nintendo Switch Ports of Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, and Etrian Odyssey Games

Graciaus

Not sure why Sega doesn't have someone just port Atlus games to pc, switch and others. Atlus has a pretty big library and almost all of them are great. Riding the success of Persona 5 you'd think they want a re-release of 4 at least.

Bullet Club

Miku is a synthesizer dude. lol it isn't anime. Hell there are 2 Sega games on the Vita with Miku on em. smh. (3 if you count P4DAN)
I have heard of Hatsune Miku. That gif still looks like some random little dancing anime girl to me though.

And I've never played the Persona dancing games. Just the regular Persona games.

I can't believe those games are not yet on PS4! At least, PS5 BC will change that.

Atlus exclusives on the Switch are the only reason i will get one.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Come on Atlus do it!! Persona/SMT usually are long games and they are perfect for Switch.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Atlus have got to be one of the stupidest companies at this point.

Why in the hell didnt they do a Persona 5 port for the Switch or why didn't Sega push them into it? It's really really obvious. They put their character in Smash, the Japanese audience on Switch is massive and many people would double dip for portable play?

Dragon Quest Xi being as good as it was really made them look worse and it's a far more taxing game than Persona 5.

I'm not one for port begs but good grief this is obvious. Now they're thinking of doing it?

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
“PORT IT. PORT IT ALL.”

tg1i1ip.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'd love P4G/P5R brought to Switch/PC. It'd be cool if Switch/PC got future Persona games too.

Don't really care though. Whatever platform a Persona game releases on I will buy that console/platform just to play it. If P6 was exclusive to iOS/Android I'd not give a damn. If it was Stadia exclusive I'd play it there.

Last edited:
A port of Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha series would be siiiiiick, I never got a chance to complete these on the PS2.

A combo-port of both parts of Persona 2 would be welcome. I played the first game but did not complete the second.

Etrian Odyssey would be a hard pass unless they include a capacitive-touch stylus and a dedicated button to switch to the map.

Sadly, their omission of the two Devil Survivor games (SRPGs) tells me it wasn't a successful spinoff. My dreams for Devil Survivor 3 are dashed against the rocks. Those are probably my two favorite "modern day" SMT games ever, even surpassing the PS1 and PS2 games.
They omitted Strange Journey and the Redux version as well 😞

Also, just wanted to say the DeSu games are super duper amazing so I share your pain about the DeSu 3 that's yet to be.

Zephir

Love how Switch is breaking all kinds of records and sells like mad every week in Japan and yet developers are still unsure if to develop/porting stuff there or not

I mean, obviously a big and growing install base doesn't mean instant success for every game, but I THINK nobody would complain about having Atlus stuff on the Switch

Loved Persona 5. Would love a chance to play Persona 4.
Characters and setting were fun but P4G had a lot of mind-numbing dungeons and some of the worst enemy designs in any non-amateur game.

It's a fun visual novel and a terrible dungeon crawler combined together.

P5 had some shoddy pacing but using SMT enemy designs and actual designed dungeons (P4G dungeons were procedurally generated) made it a much better game as a whole, even if some of the later dungeons would get long in the tooth.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Characters and setting were fun but P4G had a lot of mind-numbing dungeons and some of the worst enemy designs in any non-amateur game.

P5 had some shoddy pacing but using SMT enemy designs and actual designed dungeons (P4G dungeons were procedurally generated) made it a much better game as a whole, even if some of the later dungeons would get long in the tooth.

I loved them both. I probably remember P4G more fondly, but that may be mostly because the franchise feels much better suited as handheld game.

I loved them both. I probably remember P4G more fondly, but that may be mostly because the franchise feels much better suited as handheld game.
Yea it's easier to lie on a bed and just mindlessly grind away at non-descript enemies and boring dungeons in P4G, that's what I did. Was literally driven on by the character interactions and the story's premise.

The "boondocks" setting is a lot more cosy and homely than P5's Tokyo so that's probably why you remember it more fondly.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
A port of Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha series would be siiiiiick, I never got a chance to complete these on the PS2.

A combo-port of both parts of Persona 2 would be welcome. I played the first game but did not complete the second.

Etrian Odyssey would be a hard pass unless they include a capacitive-touch stylus and a dedicated button to switch to the map.

Sadly, their omission of the two Devil Survivor games (SRPGs) tells me it wasn't a successful spinoff. My dreams for Devil Survivor 3 are dashed against the rocks. Those are probably my two favorite "modern day" SMT games ever, even surpassing the PS1 and PS2 games.

Touchscreen support and use the stylus Nintendo is selling for Brain Training and Mario Maker.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Touchscreen support and use the stylus Nintendo is selling for Brain Training and Mario Maker.
I mean, I could get a generic one online, too. I'm just saying that they'd better let me use a pen to draw those maps since it is an integral part of the game's charm (personally).

cireza

Banned
This thread is funny. This is typical Atlus.

Our games are exclusive to one consoles, so why don't we port them to another one ?

The thought process that could drive them to think they could port it to all consoles is probably still too complicated for them.

Great recap of the game. Played it on Vita, the looks great for the console and the interface is well adapted to the resolution.

The dungeons and battles are pretty poor, level-design is not engaging, everything is extremely repetitive. Story and events are really enjoyable though.

I thought that it would be better than that honestly. Also the added dungeon was extremely annoying.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I loved both P3/4 but for that very reason why P5 is my favourite Persona game.

EDMIX

Loved Persona 5. Would love a chance to play Persona 4.

tbh nothing is stopping you from getting a used PS3. It has Persona 3 and 4 on PSN as well as Persona 2, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Nocturne and Devil Summoner series. Those waiting for those to be ported, my honest opinion is to just get a used PS3. Not only are those games pretty cheap digitally, its unlikely they will even get remade to even worry about quality, they are also so long, you don't really get much waiting, its time you could have just completed many of those games. Its just too many games that take a long time to complete to legit be having this waiting game lol

I think they'll do some HD ports on PS4 and Switch of 3 and 4 eventually, but they could also not do it and just work on Persona 6 or something.

DESTROYA DESTROYA 3DS and DS sold well too, didn't mean you saw Persona 3, 4 or 5 on em. Selling well doesn't actually mean you'll see many 3rd party ports. 3DS and Wii should have taught people that long ago. Will the install base actually buy those games? That is the question publishers have and so far many titles have flopped on the system because they base buys Nintendo published products above all, this is one of the reasons you even see publishers skipping Switch with their top IP.

SWITCH selling well doesn't mean a 3rd party fucking game is going to sell well too, as what happened with 3DS? DS? Wii? WIi U? Did many of you forget about how many IP also skipped those platforms? Nothing is different regarding the Switch in this respect.

Danjin44 Danjin44 That isn't really to say Persona 6 will be the same way. Persona 3 and 4 took advantage of the PS2, Persona 5 took advantage of the PS3 as thats its base game, Persona 6 will likely try to max out the PS4. I'd rather see the continue that.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

tbh nothing is stopping you from getting a used PS3. It has Persona 3 and 4 on PSN as well as Persona 2, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Nocturne and Devil Summoner series. Those waiting for those to be ported, my honest opinion is to just get a used PS3. Not only are those games pretty cheap digitally, its unlikely they will even get remade to even worry about quality, they are also so long, you don't really get much waiting, its time you could have just completed many of those games. Its just too many games that take a long time to complete to legit be having this waiting game lol

I think they'll do some HD ports on PS4 and Switch of 3 and 4 eventually, but they could also not do it and just work on Persona 6 or something.

DESTROYA DESTROYA 3DS and DS sold well too, didn't mean you saw Persona 3, 4 or 5 on em. Selling well doesn't actually mean you'll see many 3rd party ports. 3DS and Wii should have taught people that long ago. Will the install base actually buy those games? That is the question publishers have and so far many titles have flopped on the system because they base buys Nintendo published products above all, this is one of the reasons you even see publishers skipping Switch with their top IP.

SWITCH selling well doesn't mean a 3rd party fucking game is going to sell well too, as what happened with 3DS? DS? Wii? WIi U? Did many of you forget about how many IP also skipped those platforms? Nothing is different regarding the Switch in this respect.

Danjin44 Danjin44 That isn't really to say Persona 6 will be the same way. Persona 3 and 4 took advantage of the PS2, Persona 5 took advantage of the PS3 as thats its base game, Persona 6 will likely try to max out the PS4. I'd rather see the continue that.
Your right but it does factor into the decision I would think, bigger install base means more potential sales of games Nintendo fans never got a chance to play.

Danjin44

With Persona 6 I want to see entirely new direction as it done in the past. I LOVED Hashino's Persona series but just like how after P1, P2IN and P2EP the game changed direction they should do the same after P3,4 and 5. Hashino moved on to new studio and making Project Re: Fantasy so new P Team needs move to new direction as well.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Your right but it does factor into the decision I would think, bigger install base means more potential sales of games Nintendo fans never got a chance to play.

"bigger install base means more potential sales " Yea, that didn't translate into many 3rd party games doing well on DS, 3DS or Wii. So....that argument is dead on arrival and most 3rd party developers are seriously not believing that crap anymore.

Did you just forget several generations?

"Nintendo fans never got a chance to play" They got many chances to play many IP and oddly enough many IP sold LESS on Nintendo platforms even in situations where they had a larger install base of players. That told MANY publishers to stay away from those platforms with certain IP. For god sakes, Ubisoft literally said they were no longer putting Mature rated content on Nintendo systems based on how many IP failed on those platforms even with them having the higher install base on both console and handheld at the time.

So it has nothing to do with how many own your system, it has everything to do with how many WILL BUY YOUR FUCKING GAME, THAT is what 3rd party care about. Having a lot of systems doesn't explain why so many IP failed on DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U. It makes next to no sense as by your logic, all those 3rd party titles should have been selling better on some of those systems by default, not less.

So its clear a market exist for mature content, simply not much of one on Nintendo platforms. So you might see some ports, maybe....maybe not.

Danjin44 Danjin44 They knocked it out of the park with the student by day, dungeon fighter by night. I don't want that direction changing and I think they'd be wise to keep that concept intact.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Danjin44 Danjin44 They knocked it out of the park with the student by day, dungeon fighter by night. I don't want that direction changing and I think they'd be wise to keep that concept intact.
To me they pushed that concept as far they could with P5, I think it's healthy for new P Team to go new direction instead coping what Hashino did. Its gonna be fun to see what direction new team gonna take with Persona 6.

EDMIX

To me they pushed that concept as far they could with P5, I think it's healthy for new P Team to go new direction instead coping what Hashino did. Its gonna be fun to see what direction new team gonna take with Persona 6.

I think they can do many new things, but I think that concept of student by day, fighter by night should remain intact. I want at least some things to remain staple. That series was going no where before that change with Persona 3. You going to see some hardcore push back if they remove that concept.

I'm only willing to accept....disgruntled office working by day, dungeon fighter at night lol

Last edited:
Atlus have got to be one of the stupidest companies at this point.

Why in the hell didnt they do a Persona 5 port for the Switch or why didn't Sega push them into it? It's really really obvious. They put their character in Smash, the Japanese audience on Switch is massive and many people would double dip for portable play?

Dragon Quest Xi being as good as it was really made them look worse and it's a far more taxing game than Persona 5.

I'm not one for port begs but good grief this is obvious. Now they're thinking of doing it?

All we got up until now was generic PR speak:

When asked whether Joker in Smash Bros might mean Persona 5 for the Switch:

Naoto Hiraoka: “On this regard, I have no detailed reply to give, but personally I think the Nintendo Switch is a very appealing console.”

Last edited:
I got Persona 4 Golden and Dragon's Crown on the PlayStation Vita. But I would without a doubt double-dip for a Switch version, if that implies better-looking/running games. Besides, I love supporting my favorite gaming companies. Also, give PC gamers a chance to enjoy your great games, ATLUS.

Great recap of the game. Played it on Vita, the looks great for the console and the interface is well adapted to the resolution.

The dungeons and battles are pretty poor, level-design is not engaging, everything is extremely repetitive. Story and events are really enjoyable though.

I thought that it would be better than that honestly. Also the added dungeon was extremely annoying.
I quit right before the added dungeon. I had had enough and I looked back and asked myself what I enjoyed about the 80+ hours or so. The answer was all the visual novel elements.

Almost every time when I see praise for P4G, it's always about the story, the characters, the hanging out, the music, the artstyle. And they're all good, certainly good enough to let me power through the subpar dungeon-crawling.

The running themes in some of the dungeons were cool (Naoto's was one) but overall were executed without finesse, I imagine it was primarily a budgetary issue, hence the procedural generation. I think it'd have been a great podcast game in the dungeon sections.

SMT Strange Journey was the opposite. Its world was prickly and uninviting, its music foreboding and grim. The entire experience was not welcoming (and that's certainly the point of the game!), yet the dungeon crawling was great. Dungeon layouts were interesting, sometimes cheeky (Eridanus comes to mind) and enemy designs while quite damn pixelated, had enough character and variety to be fun to fight and recruit. Battles were also stimulating for the mind even if it wasn't using Press Turn.

Edit: Forgot to add that characters in SJ were also more distant. You never really got all buddy buddy with any of the characters you aligned with, unlike the vibe in Persona where you're meant to feel attached to the characters.

And in case it's not obvious, I'm in SMT's camp haha.

Last edited:

Barakov

Atlus Considering Nintendo Switch Ports of Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, and Etrian Odyssey Games

Atlus released their annual Japanese online consumer survey for 2020 earlier today (which can be read in full here), including several questions to gauge what their consumers and fans would like to see from the company in the future.

With questions ranging from desired remakes to what genres fans would like to see the Persona series explore, one of these questions specifically asks users about the possibility of Nintendo Switch ports of their games.

The final, actual question of the survey is the following:

Q47: If previous Atlus games (games which can be played on other harware, without adding additional elements) were ported to the Nintendo Switch, would you want to play them? Select all of the titles below that you would like to play on the Nintendo Switch.
  1. Port of “Revelations: Persona”
  2. Port of “Persona 2: Innocent Sin / Eternal Punishment”
  3. Port of “Persona 3,” “Persona 3 FES,” and “Persona 3 Portable”
  4. Port of “Persona 4” and “Persona 4 Golden”
  5. Port of “Persona 5” and “Persona 5 Royal”
  6. Port of “Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne”
  7. Port of “Shin Megami Tensei IV”
  8. Port of “Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse”
  9. Port of “Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner” series
  10. Port of “Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers”
  11. Port of “Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha” series
  12. Port of “Etrian Odyssey” series
  13. Port of “13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim”
  14. Port of “Persona Q”
  15. Port of “Catherine: Full Body”
  16. Port of “Odin Sphere Leifthrasir”
  17. Port of “Dragon’s Crown Pro”
  18. I do not want to play any on the Nintendo Switch
This is an indication that Atlus is intently investigating the possibilty of porting their games to the Nintendo Switch, ranging from older Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games to more recent games like Catherine: Full Body and 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

This is the first Atlus survey to ask users which games they would like to see on the Nintendo Switch. In April 2019, Atlus business director Naoto Hiraoka stated that he had no answer to give for the possibility of Persona 5 on a Nintendo console, however he called the Nintendo Switch “a very attractive platform.”

Atlus will be releasing their first published game on the Nintendo Switch with Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers later this month in Japan on February 20, 2020. Shin Megami Tensei V will also be released for the Nintendo Switch in the future.

Source: Persona Central

Bonus tweet:

Sure. Why not? Just get SMT V out first.

I loved both P3/4 but for that very reason why P5 is my favourite Persona game.
I only really played P4G and binged through one playthrough of P5, so there's no telling if I'd prefer Persona 1 and both of 2.

5 felt to me like a halfway point between Persona and SMT, what with the setting being in Tokyo and having a lot of the iconic SMT designs return as enemies.

Like you, those are elements that would make me vote for P5 over P4, even if I agree with the people who say P4 had more endearing characters overall.

So yea, I'm not exactly a Persona fan but the direction 5 went in is one that I liked. I don't necessarily need it to be set in Tokyo, just keep the enemy designs good and the dungeons interesting to explore.

Edit: Removed an "s".

Last edited:

Danjin44

Totally agree with this. As far as pure gameplay is concerned, Strange Journey is the strongest SMT game I have played. I also really like the atmosphere and soundtrack.
I would have agree with you if it wasn't for Nocturne that game is by far my favourite SMT both from gameplay and story.

EDMIX

I would have agree with you if it wasn't for Nocturne that game is by far my favourite SMT both from gameplay and story.

Same. I might replay that in a few months. I have the digital version on PS3. I'm trying my best not to replay much old titles and clear out my backlog but you guys keep bringing up good classics lol

I reallllllly hope Sega outsources some team to do a Persona 1 remake or splits the team to have them work on Persona 6 on PS4 (or PS5) and a remake of Persona 1 on PS4 or something. I need it being about dem kids by day......DUNGEON BY NIGHT! I don't need them jacking up St. Hermelin High lol

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member

I definitely need to come back to Nocturne (and finish it, i haven't touched it in ages) one day but gameplay wise, IV is arguargbly the best SMT: so many quality of life improvements, specifically: demons in the overworld >>>>>>>>>> random encounters, and the Cathedral of Shadows is so much better, always available, easier to navigate, make comparisons, or just follow the recommended options when you don't want to bother with all that stuff.

IV is absolutely the SMT i'd recommend to newcomers, as it's perhaps the only one who does guide you a little.

As for the story it's hard to say, Nocturne is a bit different from the usual SMT especially in the way it deals with the allignments, story in general seems more sparse, but also more original.

On the other hand i'd say IV is a bit of a roller coaster of emotions: it does a bit too much hand holding sometimes especially up to Medusa, it all feels like a giant tutorial. (at least it's not a wall of text like SJ first hour) It takes notes from Persona on having a good cast of protagonists, at the same time some of the NPCs dialogues are a bit rushed and predictable, but the premise is very cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I have heard of Hatsune Miku. That gif still looks like some random little dancing anime girl to me though.
latest

That is just a chibi version of her most popular module/outfit though.

On the other hand i'd say IV is a bit of a roller coaster of emotions: it does a bit too much hand holding sometimes especially up to Medusa, it all feels like a giant tutorial. (at least it's not a wall of text like SJ first hour) It takes notes from Persona on having a good cast of protagonists, at the same time some of the NPCs dialogues are a bit rushed and predictable, but the premise is very cool.
Terrible taste!

Last edited by a moderator:

EDMIX

Please port/remaster all of your PS2 games Atlus, PLEASE.

I'm actually expecting them to do that ala Square. I think when PS5 announces its fancy BC feature, they'll compete with that used market by having all those ports on PSN like you saw from so many publishers when PS3 came out. PSN was PACKED with Resident Evils, Metal Gear Solid, a bunch of Final Fantasies etc. I expect the same to happen when PS5 comes out.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Terrible taste!

Oh don't get me wrong, in terms of atmosphere and setting SJ is probably the best SMT.

It's just i wish that introductory part was handled by a narrator or more cutscenes. Maybe they fixed it with the Redux remake/remaster, i haven't checked it yet.

Top Bottom