• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATLUS now publishing KS-funded ActionRPG "Cryamore" in Summer 2016 (PC/PS4/X1/WiiU)

TheMoon

fresh gameplay (work in progress): https://vimeo.com/139415830

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...st-class-take-on-the-action-rpg/posts/1354331

cryamorex8smc.jpg

40b9ca32f832a3d050ac2e1jra.png

What Does This Mean?

We’re sure you have a bevy of questions (we did too when we were first approached!), so let’s break it down. First, the perks:

• Quality Assurance! It’s probably the biggest perk. We want Cryamore to be the best product it can be. Before they contacted us, we hadn’t even made plans for game-testing, and they had already proven to be very resourceful when it came to giving us feedback and suggestions on heavy build-testing and bug reporting. And they do it fast!
  • Marketing and PR! They will take care of all the important public news stuff, outside of what we share here on Kickstarter and our dev blog/Twitter account. This will help boost Cryamore's visibility, give the title access to more featured news portals and sites, and give us more time to focus on development!
  • Distribution! They’re already connected with Steam, GoG, and first-parties (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony), which alleviates a major burden from us!

Questions answered (platform changes!) (no more PS3/360/iOS/Android but moving to PS4/Xbox One)
  • “Oh no, does this mean that the game is getting gutted/losing original vision/will be taken over now!?” Not at all! We retain full control of our IP and the development process. The entire reason Atlus reached out to us in the first place was because they liked the property, not because they wanted to overhaul it! Rest assured, this is purely a publishing deal.
  • Platforms Will Change Though! Because we are now releasing in 2016, it was mutually agreed upon that we need to rethink our release platforms. As such, Cryamore will be released on PC, Mac, Linux, Xbox One, PS4, and the Wii U. You will be free to switch your initial platform preference to whichever choice you like. Also, we are finding that the title is a bit too complex for touch devices, so the iOS and Android versions are likely to be cut from the initial release, so we can focus on the primary platforms.
  • "What is going to change about the project here on Kickstarter?" Nothing at all. We’re going to do our best to keep up and give you information involving the game’s development right here, as always.
  • “What about my rewards?” Everyone who backed the game for a specific reward (for example, the game itself) is still going to receive their reward! You will not have to pay again (unless you want to pay for another copy, which we wouldn’t mind). This also does not change anything regarding physical rewards, such as the art book, figurines, etc. DRM-free will still be an option, as well.

More at the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...st-class-take-on-the-action-rpg/posts/1354331

vareon

Oh hey that's cool. Getting a publisher's guidance could really help small teams like this.

Also is that Yuji Himukai's art?

kulapik

So Atlus USA is kind of becoming the indie branch of Sega (plus the Atlus JP games, of course). Nice to see.

TheMoon

Kinda shitty to abandon some versions, especially if some people pledged to play on those platforms.

If you're releasing a game in 2016 and going by sales numbers, most people have clearly moved on to the new generation, why would you waste so much time and money to develop for these old platforms when time and money is something you have very little of already? I highly doubt anyone is sitting there next Summer with only a 360 or whatever and has pledged for this type of game and doesn't have access to any of the other platforms.

Dinda

Hmm, i think i backed this.

Probably means i won't get my copy since i live in the far away continent called Europe.

JordanN

Banned
Surprised this game is still alive.

Last I saw, the main artist is also working on a Powerstone indie game.

TheMoon

Why wouldn't it be? They've been posting updates regularly.

Hmm, i think i backed this.

Probably means i won't get my copy since i live in the far away continent called Europe.

ATLUS is publishing digital games worldwide...

You do know they also published Citizens of Earth (another KS game) which came also out in EU.

Game looks beautiful but it needs new (better) music and the enemies need to give more feedback when you hit them. Some sort of animation for that would be nice if it isn't already planned.

Kinda shitty to abandon some versions, especially if some people pledged to play on those platforms.

You're not wrong, but on the other hand releasing a niche digital game on PS360 in 2016 doesn't make a lot of sense and it's probably a wasted effort for a tiny part of their potential audience. I doubt anyone's crying over the lack of iOS or Android versions.

If you're releasing a game in 2016 and going by sales numbers, most people have clearly moved on to the new generation, why would you waste so much time and money to develop for these old platforms when time and money is something you have very little of already? I highly doubt anyone is sitting there next Summer with only a 360 or whatever and has pledged for this type of game and doesn't have access to any of the other platforms.

? Most people? There are what, 160m Xbox 360+ps3s out there, and ... Around 30m xbones+ps4? (Very rough estimate). Cryamores kickstarter was from early2013 and didn't even have ps4 or xbone as goals. It's clearly been a trouble development if nothing else.

TheMoon

? Most people? There are what, 160m Xbox 360+ps3s out there, and ... Around 30m xbones+ps4? (Very rough estimate). Cryamores kickstarter was from early2013 and didn't even have ps4 or xbone as goals. It's clearly been a trouble development if nothing else.

My point was, who was backing 2D RPGs on KS in 2013 who hasn't since moved onto a console of the new gen or has a PC to play this on.

Corpekata

Banned
Hows about we leave the outrage over cancelled versions to actual backers that backed it for those versions.

If not I will play the part of the guy that's pretending it's an offense they cancelled the Ouya version.

ZeroX03

Banned
Abandoning platforms is a bit of a crappy move when people paid on a promise, but those particular platforms are well and truly drying up. If the choice is shooting yourself in the foot or ruffling a few feathers, they probably chose the better option.

Awful name for a game though, if they're changing anything it should be that and the logo!

? Most people? There are what, 160m Xbox 360+ps3s out there, and ... Around 30m xbones+ps4? (Very rough estimate).

Raw numbers don't mean jack. People are actively playing on PS4 and XB1, they aren't busting out their PS3 and 360 to play games. (If you still play on PS3/360 don't bother replying to this, you know what I mean)

Sucks for last gen backers, but I'm struggling to care. I've seen enough projects like this fail to rejoice when it looks like it will ultimately succeed.

Game looks beautiful but it needs new (better) music

No.

Aivi Tran's music is a sizable reason why I and others backed this. The throwaway Alundra and Zelda references didn't hurt either.

Labadal

My point was, who was backing 2D RPGs on KS in 2013 who hasn't since moved onto a console of the new gen or has a PC to play this on.
Lots of people.

I'm not saying that shouldn't make XB1 and PS4 versions. They should not abandon promised platforms is all.

TheMoon

Lots of people.

I'm not saying that shouldn't make XB1 and PS4 versions. They should not abandon promised platforms is all.

You say that but how can you even know? Note how I didn't just say who hasn't moved on to new systems, I said who backed this kind of game AND hasn't moved on.

Sticking with last gen systems simply makes no sense. Can't really fault them for this.

Sucks for last gen backers, but I'm struggling to care. I've seen enough projects like this fail to rejoice when it looks like it will ultimately succeed.

No.

Aivi Tran's music is a sizable reason why I and others backed this. The throwaway Alundra and Zelda references didn't hurt either.

Well what I heard from the video posted in the OP it sounded pretty dull to me and not really fitting what was going on.

RPGCrazied

Looks okay I guess. Dumb title though. Depending on price I might get it. Unless it has no story or something. And yeah, if they promised the old gen versions, they should follow through with those. Its not like the game can't run on them.

NotLiquid

Combat Core isn't Robaato's game. He works on it as Character Designer / Assistant Game Designer. Cryamore is the project he's managing.

zelas

I hope they spoke with their original backers before cancelling all of the other versions. And that those who don't want the new versions are able to get their money back.

kurahador

Persona 5? CRYaMORE.

Good for the developer. This move is definitely better than Atlus publishing crap like God Mode or R.I.P.D. game.

TheMoon

I hope they spoke with their original backers before cancelling all of the other versions. And that those who don't want the new versions are able to get their money back.

If you look at the comments there isn't a single complaint (yet) about the platform thing. So leave the outrage/concern to those who would actually care, I'd say. :)

Faustek

Good. Now it'll actually come out before 2020.

Oh hey that's cool. Getting a publisher's guidance could really help small teams like this.

Also is that Yuji Himukai's art?

Nope. That's Robaato art. He is really good but man so slow(or just don't get how to communicate).

And really glad not only I see the Terranigma in it :)

Crocodile

I'd heard about the game after the KS and checked in on it once every couple of months. The impression I got after first seeing it and each time I saw it again was that it looked promising but the team (due to naivety?) had seriously overpromised given the money they had raised and severely underestimated how much time/resources it would take to deliver the product. With Atlus on board that should hopefully alleviate the concerns and ensure the game actually releases in the near future. Good luck to them.

I love Robaato's art and can't wait to play this on PS4. I'm also glad they have gotten a publisher since they will probably benefit from some guidance and the added marketing presence.

Whizkid7

I missed the boat on backing this but now I'm pretty pleased to see it get helped along by one of my favorite companies. Definitely will keep an eye out for this one.

Top Bottom