• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus reprinting Etrian Odyssey I/II/III (DS Dungeon Crawler)

Rootbeer

Banned
Why didn't they just all 3 on a 3DS cart and sell it that way for 39.99? I'd by that! I don't think I'll buy it as-is though.

In any case I will be buying IV

Pikma

Banned
It's like Atlus knew I missed the whole DS generation and I had been slowly catching up 'til I crashed with a big pricing wall that prevented me from getting some games (like the EO trilogy for example), I'd bet that company is run by fortune-tellers.

vareon

I don't think it's their call to make a compilation game.

Anyway, for those on the fence:

- If you're only going to play one EO III is the most accessible one. That doesn't mean it's easier, it just had more comvenience in UI, etc.
- If you're somehow going to play all of them, start with 1. The small improvements in II and III makes it almost impossible to go back.

Torraz

I don't think it's their call to make a compilation game.

Anyway, for those on the fence:

- If you're only going to play one EO III is the most accessible one. That doesn't mean it's easier, it just had more comvenience in UI, etc.
- If you're somehow going to play all of them, start with 1. The small improvements in II and III makes it almost impossible to go back.

Thanks for the warning, in that case. I have played 2, 3 and am currently playing 4...

Tizoc

Hmm wouldn't it have been better to release them to the 3DS eShop, or an all-in-one 3DS or NDS cart?
BTW I own an EU 3DS, can it play these US region games?

Yay.

Might get EO1. I'll never finish any of these games and won't go back and play it, probably... but that's not the point, dammit!

Volodja

Nice, I lost my occasions to buy 2 and 3 in the past and then they became quite costly to import.
This time I'll get both for sure.
If only I could do the same for 4.

Apenheul

Cool, I might pick up EO2 for the sole reason of completing the trilogy. I finished EO1 and got halfway through EO3 before getting burned out on first-person dungeon crawlers. Incredible games but also serious time sinks.

crap i still haven't tried the third which i got precisely to test out whether i even enjoy this type of game or not so i can't make a call here :(

About how long does one playthrough of EO3 last more or less ?

Zoibie

Hmm wouldn't it have been better to release them to the 3DS eShop, or an all-in-one 3DS or NDS cart?
BTW I own an EU 3DS, can it play these US region games?

Yes you can (just tried my import copy of 999, works fine.)

I think I'll have to pick these up, missed the first one when it released. I hope there's an easy way to import, Amazon preferably.

Slime

Banned
I just wish Nintendo would start allowing people to publish these out-of-print DS games on the eShop. Would make finding games like this and Radiant Historia much less of a headache for people who don't have them.

EDIT: I see I've been beaten. But seriously! Wtf.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
This is fantastic. I'm tempted to pick up another set just to give away and spread the joy (...but I probably can't justify that)

I just wish Nintendo would start allowing people to publish these out-of-print DS games on the eShop. Would make finding games like this and Radiant Historia much less of a headache for people who don't have them.

EDIT: I see I've been beaten. But seriously! Wtf.

...Where are you located? Radiant Historia was available for ages on Amazon US after it got reprinted. Atlus even sent an e-mail out when they put it on sale one week.
I picked it up less than a month ago, so the reprint must have only sold out again very recently.

Admittedly never been a fan of Etrian Odyssey's lolicon-warriors artstyle, but the gameplay and mapping features have always been interesting.

Slime

Banned
...Where are you located? Radiant Historia was available for ages on Amazon US after it got reprinted. Atlus even sent an e-mail out when they put it on sale one week.
I picked it up less than a month ago, so the reprint must have only sold out again very recently.

I'm in Canadia and I got it day one. I'm just saying, these limited-run JRPGs can be kind of a pain. It'd be awesome if they were available via a digital store as an alternative. Reprints like this and RH are sadly not the norm. = \

Alex

They're solid crawls, but if you have a 3DS and are just coming in, I'd just wait for 4 if you're new and interested. It's not the kind of reiteration you really need to go back and expound upon unless you have utterly incredible amounts of free time to devote to it.

These games got me into dungeon crawls, if you're patient, you'll find a thoroughly rewarding RPG here. The more you play, the more it grows on you. Last year I had a house fire and had to camp out in the forest for a couple weeks... Playing this game in the woods was the only thing that kept me sane! Time flew by as I was mapping out the labyrinth.

These games got me into dungeon crawls, if you're patient, you'll find a thoroughly rewarding RPG here. The more you play, the more it grows on you. Last year I had a house fire and had to camp out in the forest for a couple weeks... Playing this game in the woods was the only thing that kept me sane! Time flew by as I was mapping out the labyrinth.

How did you... charge your DS in the forest though?

I'm not into dungeon hacks but that music and that enemy artwork...
argh... this is so tempting! I don't have the time for this. I don't have the time!

How did you... charge your DS in the forest though?

Good question, I charged it up at the bathroom/shower that was there (stayed at a state park) unfortunately the 3DS takes forever to charge, but even then, the soothing music of EOIII kept me content. I conserved power by lowering the brightness, and DS games drain the battery slower than 3DS games.

Danj

Unless they've suddenly out-of-the-blue decided to throw in some DSi functionality (which... won't happen), you'll be fine.

That's good, I'm thinking of picking up a UK 3DS XL next week and I might jump on this.

redcrayon

That's good, I'm thinking of picking up a UK 3DS XL next week and I might jump on this.

Hey, I have an EU 3DS and my US copies of all 3 EO games work fine.

Now if only we could get a confirmed release of EOIV... The more people that buy the games, and the more popular the series gets, the more chance of release worldwide. Not holding my breath though :-(

Peagles

Same. No idea what this is all about, but everyone seems very excited.

Somebody told me about them awhile back but they all seem to be pretty expensive now. I kind of just want them because they're hard to get. I might try play them though too :p

My only problem is that now this, Ni No Kuni, and Hyrule Historia are all coming out around the same time. Ouch, my wallet!

An-Det

I'm down for EO 1 and 2 if they do this for the US (via amazon?). I was only able to get 3 at a reasonable price.

Top Bottom