• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus shutting down its forums

injurai

Banned
Burn My Thread!

persona4-18-nanako-tears-sad-love-family.jpg

;_____;

Steel

Banned
Social Megami Tensei
Persona x Candy Crush
Sanic & Lisa at the Russian Olympics

God and this is where the thread gets depressing. Now excuse me while I run out of here with tears rolling down my eyes.
If any of these things happen though there will be real tears.

Soriku

How likely is it that Sega have anything to do with this? Atlus says the forums have become a "barren echo chamber over the past couple of months". Months.

Aeana

How likely is it that Sega have anything to do with this? Atlus says the forums have become a "barren echo chamber over the past couple of months". Months.
They've always been like that, which is why I never went there much.

M-PG71C

Kind of reminds me of the days when Nintendo shut down NSider. Except this is nowhere near as chaotic. Well SEGA, if you are going to kill ATLUS lets do it right.

Sonic needs to be in Persona.

Sakura

The timing of the shutdown along with the Persona teaser website thing is a bit too convenient.

How so? The teaser website is Japanese, and these are the American forums aren't they? Or is there another teaser site I am unaware of.

FluxWaveZ

Think so? I mean, the two aren't necessarily related. Why would one effect the other?

I didn't say that the two are necessarily related or that they affect each other, but it still seems like too much of a coincidence that they decide to shut down the forums literally two days before people will presumably have something exciting and Atlus/Persona related to finally discuss.

I think you're over thinking it.

You guys misunderstand. This could totally be a coincidence and I actually think it is, but I still think it's a coincidence that makes the timing too convenient all the same.

Faustek

Gaaah, the message doesn't read as bad as I thought it was...damnit...Only saw "Atlus shutting down" and had a small heart attack...effing sheit that was scary.

Squire

Banned
I didn't say that the two are necessarily related or that they affect each other, but it still seems like too much of a coincidence that they decide to shut down the forums literally two days before people will presumably have something exciting and Atlus/Persona related to finally discuss.

You guys misunderstand. This could totally be a coincidence and I actually think it is, but I still think it's a coincidence that makes the timing too convenient all the same.

Well, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. Am I missing something here, though? What's happening in two days? The teaser site isn't up for two weeks.

FluxWaveZ

Well, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. Am I missing something here, though? What's happening in two days? The teaser site isn't up for two weeks.

The last day the Atlus USA forums are active is Nov. 22. The P-Ch tease website is destined to be revealed on Nov. 24.

Flowmoney

Snowboard Kids 3 confirmed.

They would outsource the game cheap like the DS one before they would pay the original creators to make it.

And besides that they have bigger things to worry about like getting new job unless Sega lets them go on as pure Sega employee's.

Soriku

The forums are shutting down on the 22nd, two days before the site reveal. I don't really think the shut down and reveal is connected though. Unless they plan to unveil Super Atlus Forums++ on the same day, but I doubt it.

0_0.

Please.
No...

Please...

"Second: we have a lot of games coming out in the coming months/years"

After some of the shitshow mods and admins that place had, it's not a TOTAL loss.

I wonder if Atlus USA (Irvine, California) is merging with Sega of America (San Francisco, California), and Sega wants to unify everything under one place!

Or the much more likely scenario that they just think forums are outdated and want to cut costs wherever possible.

Here's a potential problem: official Atlus discussion shoved in with sonic fandom. Makes Mara cringe with disgust. *shudder*

Daimaou

Then I'm not really sure what you're getting at by calling it "convenient."

Edit: I suppose you could mean that they stand to benefit by forcing people to discuss whatever announcement happens on twitter/facebook/other places that actually stand a chance of exposing the brand to new people, rather than on an insular board for super fans of the company.

Quixzlizx

I never really visited the Atlus forums, but it's annoying that I'm supposed to be interacting with businesses over Facebook now.

Silky

Banned
It's like 'Atlus' and 'shut down' are the perfect tornado in a jar for unwarranted panic.

Calm down y'all.

Emitan

Kind of reminds me of the days when Nintendo shut down NSider. Except this is nowhere near as chaotic. Well SEGA, if you are going to kill ATLUS lets do it right.

Sonic needs to be in Persona.

NSider is the worst internet forum to ever exist though. I doubt the Atlus forums were any good but closing the official forums was the best decision Nintendo has ever made.

DiscoJer

It's funny, before the internet, video game companies (well, PC game companies) had forums on online services like AOL, Genie and Compuserve.

Then when direct connection to the internet became popular they had their own forums and sites, and sometimes you'd even see company reps post on usenet.

Now companies are getting rid of their forums and relying on Facebook, and they gave up long ago on Usenet, but Reddit seems to be filling that void.

Daimaou

As in "favorable" or "timely."

Not in the meaning of it being beneficial to any one party, but to the timing itself.

Just seems like a weird thing to say if you don't suspect an ulterior motive, but if that's not the case may as well leave it at that.

Before GAF the Atlus forums were my go-to place for chatting with other gaming fans. It was fun while it lasted! RIP Atlus forums

:(

Top Bottom