• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus Summer Sale 3ds eshop style!

have you played other Etrian Odyssey games?... it's the same formula, a little more complex and a little less grindy.

however, it breaks down to this.
Pros:
-A lot of customization, with your team and with the character skill development
-Less grindy than previous EO games
-Solid art style
-Maze drawing
-Cool and relaxing soundtrack
-A lot of exploration

Cons:
-First person fights
-No real animations during fights cna get boring after a while
-Minimalistic story (or
-Can be fucking unfair sometimes, LOL.
-Sometimes it's a pain in the ass to get enough money to buy stuff.

Huh? Have you played EO IV? The enemies are fully animated and look incredible. But yeah, charas are still portraits like before.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Gotta get ready for that P5 on 3DS announcement!

0z12QNv.jpg

Atlus Persona games(Golden included) were on discount a few weeks back on PSN. Their PSP catalogue was also on discount during these summers.

Sales don't equate to new announcements on that platform :p

notsureifserious.jpg

He was joking.

kswiston

Persona 5 will release on a console. How are they going to sell Persona fans two copies of the same game if they start with the portable version right out of the gate?

yeah well, remember us atlus...
you know, eu? the old world? that spit on the world map near the asian continent? yeah that europe!
it's there you know?

ronito

That's a fairly good price for EOIV. How is it? I just played III and loved it.
Also I've been meaning to go for Code Princess but as I remember reviews were iffy on that one.

zruben

Banned
Huh? Have you played EO IV? The enemies are fully animated and look incredible. But yeah, charas are still portraits like before.

oh, you're absolutely right... I did that mini review just by memory... but you're right, the animations are gorgeous... i'm gonna edit my post.

HyperHip

how is Code of Princess?
I've always been on the fence about it, but if it's this cheap I might dive into it

Pros
+Online Play w/ Versus, Ranked and Co-op (probably the most full featured online title on 3DS at the time of release)
+Lots of characters.
+Story is fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.
+Solid VA
+Stages are very short which is perfect for a handheld.
+Characters feel diverse and have Street Fighter esque movesets.

Cons
-Framerate is all over the place, absolutely offensive in 3D mode.
-Not a lot of variety in the levels, might be the first beat em' up I played without an elevator level :/
-While almost every single character is playable, a huge amount of them are practically useless.
-Online doesn't have a rematch option, and co-op requires you to reconnect with a player after each stage.
-Online is pretty much dead at this point.

Mixed
-characters feel as if they have some weight to them, definitely not the fastest beat em' up around. However I think landing hits feels hella satisfying because of it.
-Jupponogi

I'd say if you're interested in beat em' ups it's worth checking out at $20 bucks.

cacildo

Oh, so wait...how much is Ghost Recon now?

I think...
If the sale starts tomorrow and its 30% off...
And the current price of Ghost Recon is $29,99
It will probably be $20,99

Which is a lot more than the prices i saw on Amazon, when i bought my first 3ds (last year)

I remember it was one of the cheapest games, like $8 or something. Dont know how much it costs now...

I think...
If the sale starts tomorrow and its 30% off...
And the current price of Ghost Recon is $29,99
It will probably be $20,99

Which is a lot more than the prices i saw on Amazon, when i bought my first 3ds (last year)

I remember it was one of the cheapest games, like $8 or something. Dont know how much it costs now...

Can't even check Amazon since it's down right now. Doesn't matter since I only buy via eShop anyway.

Yeah I'm downloading code of princess later on today. I've been trying to get the game but for some reason I don't pick it up. Ill download for $20. Pretty sure I have a $20 card around here.

C.T.

Awesome deal for US gaf. I downloaded the EO 4 demo (have all 3 ds games but never finished the last stratas, still I like these games. The demo is great the only bad thing for euro gaf is you can only play the demo 3 times while the demo allows to level your charas to 10 and transfer your save to the full game. Was it the same for US gaf? But worst part is EU gaf have to wait till 5th of september to actually buy this game (at least for 3d shop, retail seems to be 31 of august).
Enjoy your Atlus deals guys.

Lucent

I have a $50 bet with a friend that it's coming to 3DS or Vita.

I don't see why they wouldn't put Persona 5 on the PS3 after going through the trouble to make the graphics for Catherine. They could easily use that.

As for this promo, I'm considering using the $30 credit I got from Fire Emblem and SMT4 to get EO4. But then again, it's not uncommon to see EO4 on Amazon for around $30 anyway. Plus all the games coming out, it'd be awhile before I got to it.

Decisions...

EOIV is a great game.

Does anyone have Soul Hackers impressions?

The port isn't anything too exciting but the game itself was probably the best RPG Atlus made before Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. It's definitely old-school but I think it holds up better than the PS1 Persona games.

EDIT: If you want details on mechanics...

First-person dungeons.
6 character party. Main character, Female lead character, and 4 slots for demons.
Demon fusion.
Several mechanics from Soul Hackers were reused in later SMT games. For example, sword+demon fusion, installing apps for various benefits, etc.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Snagged all three and despite wanting Soul Hackers the most, the moment I started EOIV it was all over.

God damn I have been hooked on that game, burned through the entire first land and all the side dungeons and quests while the day just wasted away. Just started the second land/Strata. It easily has shot up to being one of my favorite games this year. I skipped EO2 and 3 after burning out on EO1 years ago, but this new one makes so many clever refinements that have been introduced over each installment that it comes across as a larger leap forward than I had anticipated or realized. The new features are so welcoming that I am just flat out in love with the progression cycle and it's been hard to rip myself away from the 3DS for even a little bit.

Soul hackers is great so far. Having just finished Persona 1 and 2 PSP earlier this summer, Soul Hackers absolutely is the superior game to both, particularly in terms of accessibility and gameplay structure despite being also released in the same timeframe as those other two. I also much prefer the story and characters from what little I've played in comparison(even in P2 is a fan fav, I was less than impressed with Innocent Sin after finishing it). Though SMTIV is likely even better, which I have yet to really try.

But goddamn EO4 is wonderful. It's the Wizardry game I have been waiting for since Tales of the Forsaken Land on PS2. It even successfully ripped me away from Last of Us, which I am a dozen hours in and really need to finish.

Top Bottom