• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA announces the return of Fight and Heal: Etrian Odyssey II

Avalon

Himuro said:
But EO isn't story based, and EO2's coming in a few months. Why should I?

That's a good point... finding it now is not an easy task either. Real question is why didn't you play it when it was new.

firex

EO1 is an awesome experience, and EO2 has so many differences in the skills/classes that it'll feel like playing 2 different games. Plus like NichM says, you can import a few items and I think a minor change or two to the game based upon your EO1 data!

lyre

Himuro said:
Because the game is fuck-awesome!

Also, quoth:
"This dungeon crawler with no story
has just blown me away with its story"
~name withheld

Narag said:
Didn't know this. What sort of stuff?
Check the neglected Japanese EO2 thread.

A story, in emoticons:

Schopenhauer said:
ADVENTURERS WANTED; ATLUS ANNOUNCES DUNGEON RPG ETRIAN ODYSSEY II: HEROES OF LAGAARD FOR NINTENDO DS!

monocle.gif

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — MARCH 27th, 2008 — Atlus U.S.A., Inc., preferred publisher of adventuring duo Fight and Heal

:lol

Etrian Odyssey II boasts an all-star development team, led by director Shigeo Komori (scenario designer - Etrian Odyssey, Odin Sphere). Composer Yuzo Koshiro (Actraiser, Streets of Rage, Etrian Odyssey) returns for Heroes of Lagaard, in addition to character designer Yuji Himukai and monster designer Shin Nagasawa, who both worked on the original Etrian Odyssey.

jam.gif

The odyssey resumes June 17th.

hifive.gif

It's not mentioned in the press release, by the way, but for those of you who've played the Japanese version or followed the impressions thread, we're fixing the skill bugs. This is going to be Etrian Odyssey II as it was meant to be. A tip of the hat to firex and crew for all those detailed writeups, they helped a lot!

banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif

I'll be reserving two copies of this as soon as it hits the GameStop computers. Soooo excited.

Saitou

Banned
Someone please tell me this games bonus dungeons don't force me to use the two shittiest classes just to survive the battles, please :(

Haeleos

Schopenhauer said:
Atlus U.S.A., Inc., preferred publisher of adventuring duo Fight and Heal, today announced Etrian Odyssey™II: Heroes of Lagaard for Nintendo DS™.

Comic genius.

ethelred

Himuro said:

Just because the game isn't as single-mindedly focused on story as some RPGs, that doesn't mean it doesn't have a story. It does. A very interesting, well written one actually.

And just because EO2 will have similar gameplay, that doesn't mean the experience will be the same. You should play EO1 for the fuck-awesome gameplay. It'll give you an entirely different dungeon than EO2, with its own secrets to explore, its own traps and challenges, abd its own fantastic bosses.

I really need to get back to Etrian Odyssey. I sorta lost momentum on the fifth floor and haven't touched it since.

I am definitely willing to give it another shot in honor of the EO II announcement.

LegatoB said:
June, sweet. I can finish EO1 by then! :lol

Same here... I got to the floors 21-25 area, explored a lot of it, reaching floor 25... but then stopped. It gets annoying when you're deep in the dungeon and then get killed by one of those horrible enemy groups with two of the things that put your whole team to sleep in them... the only way to survive there is to hope desperately that you can escape before they put your whole party to sleep and kill everyone. :(

... I think I'll start playing again. I'm so close to the end...

ethelred

Himuro said:
I'm on it, buddy!

Excellent. Let me know if you need help finding it. I told you weeks ago that I'm pretty sure some of the stores near me still have it and I can send a copy out.

Jiggy

Great news and nice timing--now I can go from Summon Night: Twin Age in May to Etrian Odyssey II in June. My DS needed some love and playtime again.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Best press release ever!

Atlus is king. They totally fucking wrote this press release for GAF and GAF only!! Bwahahahahaah!! :lol

sphinx

the piano man
Etrian Odyssey 1 stole 3 months of my life....

I wonder how many months of my life will EO2 steal this time :D

WOOOOHOOO!!!

Hell, yeah. More Etrian Odyssey. All hail Atlus.
I'll be waiting at the midnight launch...well, this game deserves a midnight launch. I'll at least be outside Gamespot banging on the doors.

FoxSpirit

I hope that the monsters can have longer names this time around. I hope I can see what skills I need to unlock other skills this time around.

AdamBot

This further proves my point that Atlus is the only publisher left that cares about the end consumer first and foremost above all else.

legend166

I picked up EO again last week after a break to finish Phantom Hourglass. I'm about to enter the 3rd stratum.

I will be buying this.

Does it have a gameplay timer? I'm pretty sure I've spent 30+ hours on the first one so far, but I can't confirm D:

firex

man, Atlus is giving me two awesome games for $60 this year with P3Fes and EO2. These guys are awesome!

Im more of an srpg person than traditional jrpg. Actuall I cant stand them. But you guys wont shut up about EO so Im wondering what the appeal is.

firex

the appeal is the same as the appeal of wizardry, bard's tale, the gold box D&D games, etc. great RPGs that have a storyline for you to follow, but all your characters are your own creation.

Narag

Probationsmack said:
Im more of an srpg person than traditional jrpg. Actuall I cant stand them. But you guys wont shut up about EO so Im wondering what the appeal is.

Old school dungeon crawling of which gamers have had their hand held out to the ugly world of elaborate summons and long cutscenes. Its nice to have this style of game again.

So I'll be getting Rondo of Swords, (maybe) Summon Night and Etrian Odyssey 2 pretty much one after the other.

I'm liking this summer line up. No more watching crappy daytime tv during the mornin' for me.

Edit:
Narag said:
Old school dungeon crawling of which gamers have had their hand held out to the ugly world of elaborate summons and long cutscenes. Its nice to have this style of game again.

I'd like to add that the game wants to make you it's bitch the very second you walk out into the dungeon and you gotta resist with all your might. Then you turn the tables and it really puts a smile on your face.

Mejilan said:
:lol

You can already do this in the first game.

To be fair they kind of hid that fact. I had been playing it for well over a month before I found out you could find out exactly how to unlock the various skills. And I found out by accident at that. I tried assigning a skill point to a skill I hadn't unlocked and that informative little pop up appeared. I felt like an ass.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
One of the biggest things I love about this game is the mapping definitely. I wish they gave you cool rewards or medals depending on how perfect your maps were. That'd be awesome.

botticus

2 things:

1) YES
2) I rarely use it, but... lol

Can someone (in spoilers, I suppose) tell me how many floors the main game is in EO? I'm somewhere in the mid-teens, lost my momentum.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
jaundicejuice said:
To be fair they kind of hid that fact. I had been playing it for well over a month before I found out you could find out exactly how to unlock the various skills. And I found out by accident at that. I tried assigning a skill point to a skill I hadn't unlocked and that informative little pop up appeared. I felt like an ass.

That's entirely your fault, my friend. If you really want to be fair, read the manual. Specifically, page 19! :lol

Wilsongt

Yes, yes, all over my face!

So excited.

June is going to be fucking busy.

Tactics Advance 2, Operation Darkness, and now Etrian. Fuck yes.

botticus said:
2 things:

1) YES
2) I rarely use it, but... lol

Can someone (in spoilers, I suppose) tell me how many floors the main game is in EO? I'm somewhere in the mid-teens, lost my momentum.
25 floors.

Top Bottom